Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 31st Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 11Thanks
    stevem365
    Parking Eye PCN - Registered Keeper Living Overseas
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    Parking Eye PCN - Registered Keeper Living Overseas 31st Dec 17 at 10:12 AM
    Apologies for starting a new thread, but I've checked through the FAQ and can't seem to find any advice that fits my circumstances.

I moved to the UAE in 2016, but I've just returned to UK for a short Christmas break and received a PCN from Parking Eye for an alleged parking infringement, which occurred two days before I arrived back in the UK.

Can anyone offer me advice on how I should handle this, given I'm due to to fly back to UAE in two days' time?
    Last edited by stevem365; 01-01-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 31st Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 83,261 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    Tell the driver not to use that car park again. Edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper on here and in any correspondence with the PPC.

Send the BPA template in blue to parking lie once you get back to the UAE, giving them your overseas address for service.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 31-12-2017 at 2:24 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 31st Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 9,455 Posts
    • 9,195 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    How is post to the UAR, pretty hit and miss I should think. Tell PE about it and advise them to send any correspondence to you by registered, insured, signed for, very expensive post, or, even better, by DHL.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 31st Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    stevem365
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    Post to the UAE is pretty shocking to be honest. Post-codes don't exist and postal addresses are random to say the least.

Overseas post is a lottery - worse than that - I've never received anything sent from the UK.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 31st Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    Fruitcake - not needed, you only have to be contactable at the address given on the licence and v5.
    You can actually live anywhere you like

The Keeper can be liable, and with PE probably is. However, there is no way in hell they will launch a court claim - the only way they can enforce payment as this is merely an invoice - against someone domiciled in the UAE.

You are not within the jurisdiction of the UK courts, so you must ensure they have your address. They accept service by email, but you just appeal online giving your FULL address overseas, state this is the ONLY address for service in future, and that they must not use normal post to communicate as there is NO g!!!8217;teed servjce there, as the Interpretations Act does not help them. They must use fully tracked post for EVERY comm.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 31st Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    • 7,658 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    Stevem365, you also need to tell your son never to contact PE.
    He must never disclose the driver's details.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 31st Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 83,261 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 31st Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    Fruitcake - not needed, you only have to be contactable at the address given on the licence and v5.
    You can actually live anywhere you like

The Keeper can be liable, and with PE probably is. However, there is no way in hell they will launch a court claim - the only way they can enforce payment as this is merely an invoice - against someone domiciled in the UAE.

You are not within the jurisdiction of the UK courts, so you must ensure they have your address. They accept service by email, but you just appeal online giving your FULL address overseas, state this is the ONLY address for service in future, and that they must not use normal post to communicate as there is NO g’teed servjce there, as the Interpretations Act does not help them. They must use fully tracked post for EVERY comm.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001
    Thanks for that. I wasn't sure.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 31st Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    stevem365
    • 31st Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.
    • Kirchenmaus
    • By Kirchenmaus 1st Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Kirchenmaus
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    PE will probably just continue to correspond with the OP at the same UK address. It worked once; it will work again? MCOL cannot be used for a non-UK address, but they've got five-plus years to harass the OP at his UK address, during which period he might (like most UAE expats I know) move back. Certainly, inform PE of the new address (in a way that can be shown to a UK court if a MCOL claim is nonetheless filed), but don't expect the letters to stop.

--Kirchenmaus
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 58,332 Posts
    • 71,857 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Out of interest, new poster Church Mouse.

Regulars will be interested to know whether you have posted before on pepipoo, maybe?
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 25-03-2018 at 7:16 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 1st Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 4,808 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    Out of interest, new poster Church Mouse - why is your username not the same as your signature?

Always intriguing when a complete newbie uses forum acronyms like 'PE' and 'OP' from the off.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Must be the Pepipoo user churchmouse's German cousin
    Last edited by The Slithy Tove; 01-01-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    • Kirchenmaus
    • By Kirchenmaus 4th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Kirchenmaus
    Must be the Pepipoo user churchmouse's German cousin
    Originally posted by The Slithy Tove
    His dyslexic German cousin, apparently...

SRM's eagle eyes have spotted something even I hadn't. It may be time to increase the font size on the 'ol PC or invest in reading glasses, because I had indeed intended to sign up here as Kirchenmaus, not Kirchemmaus. (Feel free to PM me elsewhere to confirm my ID, but alas, I don't think I will be posting here regularly--this forum is so busy I cannot keep up!)

--Kirchenmaus (currently Typomaus...)
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 8th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    stevem365
    Sorry guys, but a quick query on the Parking Eye online appeals format:

There is an address form on the first page - I have entered my UAE address here.

The next page has a drop-down menu showing a list of reasons for appeal. I was going to select "I was not the driver of the vehicle" as this is true. I presume this is the only logical choice for me?
    • Edna Basher
    • By Edna Basher 8th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    Edna Basher
    There should also be an "Other" option on PE's drop-down list.
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 8th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    stevem365
    There should also be an "Other" option on PE's drop-down list.
    Originally posted by Edna Basher
    Thank you.

One last query: One the submission page there is a check box which states:

"I confirm I have attached all supporting information available to me, and understand that I will be unable to provide any additional evidence at a later date, unless specifically requested by ParkingEye"

Are there any implications to leaving this unchecked, or do I need to tick this?

N.B. Given my OP, there is no evidence for me to attach at this stage
    Last edited by stevem365; 08-01-2018 at 4:46 PM. Reason: Update
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 8th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 7,658 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    KeithP
    Tick the box.
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 8th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    stevem365
    UPDATE:

I have just received a PDF letter copy from PE via email advising me that my appeal has been unsuccessful.

Clearly, I now need to submit a POPLA appeal.

However, looking at the FAQ, I can't seem to find an appeal approach that fits the circumstances outlined in my original post i.e. I live abroad and was not in the country at the time of the PCN date.

Can anyone offer advice or point me in the general direction of a relevant appeal?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 9,455 Posts
    • 9,195 Thanks
    The Deep
    I can't seem to find an appeal approach that fits the circumstances ... i.e. I live abroad and was not in the country at the time of the PCN date.

Why would you mention this to PoPLA?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • stevem365
    • By stevem365 8th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    stevem365
    I can't seem to find an appeal approach that fits the circumstances ... i.e. I live abroad and was not in the country at the time of the PCN date.

Why would you mention this to PoPLA?
    Originally posted by The Deep
    To be honest I don't know why.

The whole process is a bit confusing as I've never been in one these car parks before. Hence, I'm really reliant on the template advice in the forum.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 58,332 Posts
    • 71,857 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Do you mean someone else was driving, and you are only the keeper?

You are still liable and 'I wasn't driving' is not a defence or appeal point UNLESS:

- the car wasn't there at all, and PE made a mistake

or

- the NTK they posted was a 'golden ticket' (arrived late/nothing about POFA 'keeper liability' on the back of the document)?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,210Posts Today

4,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin