Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 592Posts
    • 1,222Thanks
    ramblehan
    Wandering on
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    Wandering on 30th Dec 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had just over a year off the forum and a huge amount has happened in that time, but it feels like the right time to dip back in. 2018 is going to be the year that turns thing around for us.

A little about me: Family of 4 living in the sticks, spending too much money on oil and logs to stay warm. We've a posse of animals too that will one day pay their own way.

2016 headlines: Financial burnout to the tune of 22k which accumulated over time due to house renovations, Unsteady income and growing expenses for childcare. Resulted in a DMP...which I self manage and is slowly decreasing.

2017 headlines:
    Moved house with the ultimate aim of helping out aged relative, changed jobs etc.
    Currently paying for 2 houses and 40 hrs childcare a week.
    Finishing off old house and moving has racked up more debts to tune of 15k. 17.3K
    Tried to sell house but first sale fell through at the last minute as buyers for cold feet.
    House sold again for 5k more (crossing fingers and hoping)
    Got much better job in December 10k payrise, DH now also on regular income

Things to look forward to in 2018:
    Selling house - we'll clear the new 15k 17.3K, and be able to bank a huge pot of cash for future house plans.
    DD will become eligible for 30 hrs free childcare.
    No mortgage and reduced childcare will mean we are 1500 a month better off. This should all kick in by April.
    Will be able to pay more off DMP as a result.

So, 2017 has been a turn around year in many respects. A lot of hard work to come but it's all to play for in 2018.

Some other facts...
    We have YNAB, and it definitely helps but I'm not living by the rules and it shows....I'm going to use YNAB better.
    Sticking to a budget is our biggest trial....
    This year as finances will be oh so better I want to get our budget balanced right so we can live comfortably as well as save and pay off more on DMP.
    Hubby never knows what there is to spend so falls back on CC so this is something I definitely want to sort...thinking a prepaid credit card with phone app instead so he can see before he spends....I'm guilty of this too though (must use YNAB better.)
    I should get a pay rise in 2018 too, but want to increase my pension to 10% as company will match it (currently it's only 5%).

And that's it for now! Will set myself some goals later...
    Last edited by ramblehan; 02-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Page 6
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 4th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Thank you for recommending tilly tidying to me! I have managed to find a couple of quid. I am surprised!

I have been reading your diary. Love your lists and love your focus!
    Originally posted by pidge04
    Lists help sometimes - but always need more focus!

TTFN
    01/03/18: 21,270 DFD: Dec 2035
    2018 challenge - 148.64/3,670 (4.2%) as of 25.04.18
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 11th May 18, 10:05 AM
    • 592 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hello diary!
    I've had a lovely couple of days off from work. Went to Bath with my mum - treated her to a facial and lunch for her birthday and mothers day (all saved up for) and then did a bit of shopping. Didn't go too mad - but did spend about 150 - had about 90 put by, and then my TCB payout of 105 came in - so sorted it out out of that. Means that i'm unlikely to do much of an extra debt payment this month, but we will see - still 14 days to go.

Now at home on my customary Friday - but am housebound as car is back in the garage to have a sensor fixed, and the final tyre. Asked for tracking to be done too. Have only got 63 left in car pot - so this will have to come out of buy a house fund as the sensor is 120 on it's own and tyre will be about 75, so plus labour and tracking I reckon 250?
    Annoyingly it also needs a full service as light has just come on - but will wait for this and book in again after payday as that should just about cover it.

Hit a bit of a snag too with me setting up 2 of those regular saver accounts to try and get a load of interest - the household account is looking depleted!! I have to pay final balance on holiday accommodation next month so hopefully there will be enough in there for that....but when we want to take our spending money it may be stored in those accounts - which means they will stop gettting interest. Oh well!! At least I will get interest for when it was in there!

So jobs for today:
    • Do some of DH's accountancy sorting out
    • YNAB up to date and plan spends
    • Freezer write up and meal plan
    • make banana muffins
    • a bit of gardening and weeding with DD
    • check on all the animals and enjoy the sunshine!
    01/03/18: 21,270 DFD: Dec 2035
    2018 challenge - 148.64/3,670 (4.2%) as of 25.04.18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin