Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    Wandering on
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    Wandering on 30th Dec 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had just over a year off the forum and a huge amount has happened in that time, but it feels like the right time to dip back in. 2018 is going to be the year that turns thing around for us.

2016 headlines: Financial burnout to the tune of 22k which accumulated over time due to house renovations, Unsteady income and growing expenses for childcare. Resulted in a DMP...which I self manage and is slowly decreasing.

2017 headlines:
    Moved house with the ultimate aim of helping out aged relative, changed jobs etc.
    Currently paying for 2 houses and 40 hrs childcare a week.
    Finishing off old house and moving has racked up more debts to tune of 15k. 17.3K
    Tried to sell house but first sale fell through at the last minute as buyers for cold feet.
    House sold again for 5k more (crossing fingers and hoping)
    Got much better job in December 10k payrise, DH now also on regular income

Things to look forward to in 2018:
    Selling house - we'll clear the new 15k 17.3K, and be able to bank a huge pot of cash for future house plans.
    DD will become eligible for 30 hrs free childcare.
    No mortgage and reduced childcare will mean we are 1500 a month better off. This should all kick in by April.
    Will be able to pay more off DMP as a result.

So, 2017 has been a turn around year in many respects. A lot of hard work to come but it's all to play for in 2018.

Some other facts...
    We have YNAB, and it definitely helps but I'm not living by the rules and it shows....I'm going to use YNAB better.
    Sticking to a budget is our biggest trial....
    This year as finances will be oh so better I want to get our budget balanced right so we can live comfortably as well as save and pay off more on DMP.
    Hubby never knows what there is to spend so falls back on CC so this is something I definitely want to sort...thinking a prepaid credit card with phone app instead so he can see before he spends....I'm guilty of this too though (must use YNAB better.)
    I should get a pay rise in 2018 too, but want to increase my pension to 10% as company will match it (currently it's only 5%).

And that's it for now! Will set myself some goals later...
    Last edited by ramblehan; 15-08-2018 at 8:35 PM.
Page 5
  • archived user
    So debt paydown plans as follows:

From end March payday - I am hoping to save a minimum of 150, plus the monthly payment I make of 17.40 towards this debt. I say a minimum as it is based on how much work petrol expenses I get - this does varies but the least I have had is 100, and then I have a 50 EF pot in my own personal budget. We also have a main EF and savings for birthdays / Christmas etc so I should not need to dip into this. The challenge will be to beat even this - so if I save money elsewhere in the budgets, I will turn that in, and I've created a 'Debt bust down' pot in YNAB right at the top and I will move the odd extra penny etc across to this when I can. My aim is to try and pay this debt off in the year - that's a stretch goal. I think I can comfortably pay off 2.5K - so the challenge is to see if I can do the whole of it. If I do, we will have cleared 21% of the debt this year as a minimum. Hopefully more.

I think I may get brave and post our new SOA soon. I am worried people will shout me down as I have put a lot of padding into our new increased budget to save up for all the things we should like Christmas and car maintenance, and a holiday fund. I know some people will think I should be prioritising the debt paydown more, but i think my goal right now is to strike a good balance, between getting it gone, and living a nice life. I spent 5 years of heartache hoping to have a child, and that was punishment enough - so I now want to enjoy her and my SS as they grow. The debt will get gone, but not at the expense of the every day.

A few further positives - I am using YNAB alot - so this is good. the new bank account arrangement should work well and give DH some financial freedom of his own. My mum bless her too, when I said i was going to save up for a Le Creuset first of all said she would buy me one but I refused as they are SO pricey (150+) and then she went and got one out of her cupboard and gave it to me!

and the final biggie. When we started the DMP process, our joint income was about 25K, now it's well over 60K so that in itself is a huge step to sorting out this sorry mess.

Night night.
  • archived user
    Misery continues in Ramble household. Dd only just recovering now, my mum came down to look after her so i could go to work on Weds, but dh got sick on tuesday night and has been awful with really high temp which we could not get down. Got him to local hosp last night after sustained temp of 42.2! They ssid possible pnemonia and given him penicilllin. Spent most of night trying to keep him cool. Now i think i've got it too, high temp has kicked in. My mum thinks its actually flu. She can't leave as she doesnt want to pass it on to my dad' she's also got a sore throat starting but no temperature as yet.

Nightmare!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 5,505 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Oh no. Hope you all feel better soon. So awful to be poorly. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 16th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Oh no! Hope you all recover quickly.
  • archived user
    I'm back. What a nightmare - My mum finally managed to leave on Weds but is still poorly at her own home. I'm mostly recovered but exhausted and still coughing lots. DH is the same - he's missed 10 days work!!! Hopefully he is going back on Monday and at least as he is earning so much more, what he will earn this month will be enough to cover bills.

Got paid today. Done all the moving and jiggling around.

So far I've got 44.47 in my pot to pay off T*sco loan. I've also got approx 100 of work expenses owing, and a future interest payment to come in of 40 plus child benefit coming in the next month. So all being well I will be able to save 200+ to the pot to start paying this down early.

Might look into doing some survey stuff just to get a few more pennies to throw at it all. Need to do something as it's way too boring just waiting for another payday!
  • archived user
    Hiya.

Well we've done a fair bit of spending all ready - a meal out and a big shop has eaten into the food budget, but freezer is full. There's 180 in the pot until the 25th Apr. Probably tight, we'll see.

My tesco paydown pot now has 97.11 in it so far, so doing well. Got Child benefit payment yet to come so should be able to get this to over 100 for the month.
  • archived user
    Time seems to be going very slowly at the moment.
    Good news is I have about 150 saved in my "DMP debt buster" pot which is a bit ahead of where I want to be. With the monthly payment I have made, this means I am nearly 5% of the way to paying off the Tsco loan which is great.

Bad news is we have very little in food budget left, but I do have a lot in freezer so just need to get organised. Haven't menu planned for a couple of weeks and it really shows.
    Still feeling poorly and flu like - it's been over 3 weeks now. Rubbish! I am worst today than for ages, but that's probably because I have a week off work! Still at least I can recover. Was going to see a friend for a few days but have postponed (can now be frugal)

Get a 4.5% payrise this month but I have also upped my pension contribution to 10% (work also contribute 10%) so definitely worth it - esp as DH doesn't have a pension to speak of. Sadly I think this will mean my wage will go down slightly, but hey ho, bigger picture.

Still waiting to find out how much council tax I owe on our old property = I can't believe how rubbish and slow they are - we moved out 22 Feb, I called them straight after - and I still don't have the final bill and they have also issued us a new bill for the new financial year GRRR. I did ring and complain but they told me just to wait to get my final bill. Will chase again on Monday.

Got 122 on TCB but only 30 ready to pay out - 75 was for switching to Sky for telephone and broadband which has saved us a bomb - we're paying less than 30 a month and that includes all calls. BT was a rip off!! Waiting for that to all become available and then I will move. Have to decide how to spend/save.

Other savings going well -
    Car maintenance: 150
    Home savings: 200
    Holiday savings: 372
    Household Emergency Fund: 481/3000 (and 400 loaned to someone which will go back in sooonish)
    Personal emergency fund: 250

522.28 outstanding on bcard with 220 payment due 30 April. There's been 23.42 interest charged on this - so will see what extra payment I can make. Be good to get down to 250 this month.

Still got child benefit and an interest payment to come in. Hope I don't end swallowing up for food. Perhaps I should chuck what I can at BC.

DH has just done 8 days of work so his work now back to normal after flu. He's still exhausted though.
    Roll on summer!!!!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 7th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    louby40
    Wow you've really had a bad does of it haven't you. Hope you all start to feel brighter.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 8th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Just catching up with your diary and it sounds like you've had a rough time. Hopefully that's you all on the mend ready for spring!

You're making good progress and it's fab to see savings going up abd debt going down. Well done you're a motivation!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
  • archived user
    THanks Choccy girl. There is progress - but it is all so slow! I am seriously impatient!

Actually been feeling really unmotivated for a couple of weeks now, and it' starting to bug me. Today has been more productive though so perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Going to write myself a list and see if that helps.
    • Take car to garage and ask about locking issue
    • organise transport for relative
    • organise dog to vets
    • book holiday travel (Eurotunnel - mostly free thanks T@sco)
    • Freezer list and meal plan until end of month
    • Batch cooking for nursery lunches
    • Cakes to freeze for lunchbox
    • A me day on Thursday when DD at nursery
    • clean out chickens

Just a few things to keep me busy!
    Last edited by ramblehan; 10-04-2018 at 6:42 PM.
  • archived user
    THanks Choccy girl. There is progress - but it is all so slow! I am seriously impatient!
    • Take car to garage and ask about locking issue
      [*]organise transport for relative
    • organise dog to vets
      [*]book holiday travel (Eurotunnel - mostly free thanks T@sco)
    • Freezer list and meal plan until end of month
    • Batch cooking for nursery lunches - 3 pots done yesterday, but more to do
    • Cakes to freeze for lunchbox
    • A me day on Thursday when DD at nursery
    • clean out chickens
    !
    Originally posted by ramblehan
    A bit done, but not alot. Took DD out for an Easter egg trail this PM and there was actually a ball of yellow in the sky, and it felt warm. Amazing!

Might force myself to do freezer inv and stock check tonight and then watch Masterchef as my reward.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 11th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 5,505 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    You are doing loads you. Sounds like you need some Ramble-time to recharge. Sounds like it is going well tho. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • archived user
    Getting honest
    Hi everyone.
    Been a busy week or so - it never really stops.
    Thought it was time I got honest and posted an SOA. so here goes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2088
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 800
    Benefits................................ 82.8
    Other income............................ 41.23
    Total monthly income.................... 3012.03

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 153
    Electricity............................. 61
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 75
    Water rates............................. 39.95
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 0
    TV Licence.............................. 12.25
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 6
    Internet Services....................... 29
    Groceries etc. ......................... 350
    Clothing................................ 50
    Petrol/diesel........................... 180
    Road tax................................ 16.62
    Car Insurance........................... 40.66
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 150
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 86
    Other child related expenses............ 200
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 34.96
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 9.09
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 9
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 100
    Haircuts................................ 50
    Entertainment........................... 100
    Holiday................................. 500
    Emergency fund.......................... 200
    (Unnamed monthly expense)............... 0
    Pet food................................ 30
    SS extra expense savings................ 40
    Daughter extra expense savings.......... 40
    House savings........................... 200
    Cleaner + cleaning/ washing expenses.... 40
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2812.53

Assets

Cash.................................... 50000
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 51000

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Pr*............................10867.....51....... .0
    Arr*w..........................6733......31.6..... .0
    T*sco..........................3670......17.4..... .0
    Bca*rd.........................522.28....20....... .16.57
    Total unsecured debts..........21792.28..120.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,012.03
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,812.53
    Available for debt repayments........... 199.5
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 120
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 79.5

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 51,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -21,792.28
    Net Assets.............................. 29,207.72

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

In addition to the above - I have the following savings pots with balances as follows:

Household savings: 200
    Emergency Fund: 481.71
    Christmas and Gift: 80 (although SS b'day this weekend so this will go down a bit as going out for tea, plus 30 present)
    Car maintenance pot: 150
    Holiday savings 327.50
    Full & Final settlement pot: 100.43
    We're also owed 400 by someone.
    Barclaycard pay off pot: 250
    Total: 1989.64

I'm going to clear the barclaycard and cancel it after payday this month, so savings will drop down and I haven't decided which other pots I will take the balance out of yet (prob household and emergency fund)

I know you'll probably be giving me a ticking off about the holiday savings - we've got a 2 week holiday in July - camping in France. We've got 500 to pay for campsite, and then I'm currently working on 350 for fuel, and 100 a day budget - which is loads. My aim is to not spend this and come back with some, but I also want us to be able to go out and have a nice time if we want to. Once the holiday is done, this will drop down to 200 a month, leaving a further 300 for saving - and my aim will be to throw this at my F&F pot - I want to save pay off the lowest debt in full by the end of the year

I also get travel expenses for work - ranging from 50 a month to 150 - but last few months have been low so not factoring this in.

We don't currently pay any rent, but pay all bills. This will not go on forever and at some point, we will have to move, and probably rent, but long term house savings are for getting us back on the ladder later on. However as our cash in the bank starts to grow, I will review debt repayment / Vs increasing house deposit with the mortgage people and see what's better (my credit score is shot, so my feeling is, even if I have paid debts down in full or go for partial settlements, I'm going to get worse rate offers anyway, so when the time come I'll try to figure out best approach.)

Be kind with me - it's taken me about 7 years to build up the courage to do an SOA! and in that time we've rollercoasted with income!
    and my mission is to live and pay things off - but not get into further debt.

Last edited by ramblehan; 20-04-2018 at 6:31 PM.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 24th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    louby40
    Well done for sharing your SOA, I know it's not always easy seeing the numbers.

It's so hard saving, paying down debts and living too! It's my constant everyday battle.
  • archived user
    Oh yes indeed Louby. Even though I am much richer now than ever before, and lower bills, because I have divided the money around all the jobs it has to do, I still feel broke!!! But in reality, I am not broke - I am saving up!!! Mind set shift needed!!
  • archived user
    It's PAYDAY!!!!!!! and payrise day! Yay. Actually thought I was going to be worse off in my take-home pay as I had increased my pension, but it was about 50 better than expected.

So here's how things stand for now.
    • Barclaycard has been completely paid off
    • 2018 Challenge Debt buster pot total is currently 148.64, which is 4.2% towards 3670 goal
    • EF is at 500 (+400 on loan due back in at some point)
    • Holiday pot is at 775/2372 (32%)
    • Car pot is at 200 (been underfunded this month due to B'card payoff)
    • House deposit pot is at 259 (been underfunded as well)
    • Christmas and gift pot has 137 in it. MIL b'd day this month so this will go down a bit (20-30)
    • Grocery budget has been set to 300 with an entertainment/ eat out pot of 100. Last month we did 444, so hoping to bring this down. NEED TO MEAL PLAN -

Income to come in later in the month is child benefit and work expenses, and interest payment - so might try and swerve some of this into house and car pot, as well as debt bust down pot - hoping I might be able to tilly tidy this to a 100 ish this month.

I've also got something nice to look forward to - I am taking my mum to have lunch and an aromatherapy facial (already paid for facial) and have money saved for lunch, plus some spending money for clothes shopping (150 in all)
    Last edited by ramblehan; 25-04-2018 at 9:59 PM.
  • archived user
    I did a meal plan, and wrote a shopping list!!!!!!
    and then of course forgot it when I went shopping!

Got the DD some clothes and shoes today - all within budget.
    Did a BIG shop, but lots of store cupboard filling stuff.

Off to update YNAB. Happy Friday one and all.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 28th Apr 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 5,505 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I love a big shop and full cupboards. Makes me so happy to have a fully stocked kitchen. Hope you enjoy it. Xx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 28th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    pidge04
    Thank you for recommending tilly tidying to me! I have managed to find a couple of quid. I am surprised!

I have been reading your diary. Love your lists and love your focus!
    CC1 2400/549 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/448 LOAN 13,000/5462
  • archived user
    [*]Car pot is at 200 (been underfunded this month due to B'card payoff)[/LIST]
    Originally posted by ramblehan
    3. New. Tyres. Urgh. Also bought a digital tyre thingy so I can keep checking and making sure tyres are OK. So car pot is completely empty. Have also had to book it in for next week as a warning light on and they need to run diagnostics. So that's got to come out of the EF. Cars!!!!!

Still - at least I had 200 in the pot - better than nothing. I'll start again next month!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,268Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin