Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 593Posts
    • 1,223Thanks
    ramblehan
    Wandering on
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    Wandering on 30th Dec 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had just over a year off the forum and a huge amount has happened in that time, but it feels like the right time to dip back in. 2018 is going to be the year that turns thing around for us.

A little about me: Family of 4 living in the sticks, spending too much money on oil and logs to stay warm. We've a posse of animals too that will one day pay their own way.

2016 headlines: Financial burnout to the tune of 22k which accumulated over time due to house renovations, Unsteady income and growing expenses for childcare. Resulted in a DMP...which I self manage and is slowly decreasing.

2017 headlines:
    Moved house with the ultimate aim of helping out aged relative, changed jobs etc.
    Currently paying for 2 houses and 40 hrs childcare a week.
    Finishing off old house and moving has racked up more debts to tune of 15k. 17.3K
    Tried to sell house but first sale fell through at the last minute as buyers for cold feet.
    House sold again for 5k more (crossing fingers and hoping)
    Got much better job in December 10k payrise, DH now also on regular income

Things to look forward to in 2018:
    Selling house - we'll clear the new 15k 17.3K, and be able to bank a huge pot of cash for future house plans.
    DD will become eligible for 30 hrs free childcare.
    No mortgage and reduced childcare will mean we are 1500 a month better off. This should all kick in by April.
    Will be able to pay more off DMP as a result.

So, 2017 has been a turn around year in many respects. A lot of hard work to come but it's all to play for in 2018.

Some other facts...
    We have YNAB, and it definitely helps but I'm not living by the rules and it shows....I'm going to use YNAB better.
    Sticking to a budget is our biggest trial....
    This year as finances will be oh so better I want to get our budget balanced right so we can live comfortably as well as save and pay off more on DMP.
    Hubby never knows what there is to spend so falls back on CC so this is something I definitely want to sort...thinking a prepaid credit card with phone app instead so he can see before he spends....I'm guilty of this too though (must use YNAB better.)
    I should get a pay rise in 2018 too, but want to increase my pension to 10% as company will match it (currently it's only 5%).

And that's it for now! Will set myself some goals later...
    Last edited by ramblehan; 02-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Page 4
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 15th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    he got home and I was lying on the floor on my back with a bucket trying to breastfeed
    Originally posted by Drawingaline
    Wow Drawing you do do it in style!! You must be supermum to have the kids with you!

Mum of four - thanks for popping in- Lucky you living in France. Did my degree in French but struggle understand my own dissertation now!

I have totally lazed it out these last 2 days which has been much needed. Still not 100%, but a world away from Monday so all going in the right direction. Need to get my energy together to do final move from the house on Sat!! I can sleep on the drive there and drive back at least!

We have definitely exchanged now so happy days. (if only I could face a beer!)

Thanks PSL - money worries will be much improved but definitely not over, definitely a weight off my shoulders though.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 19th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Fantastic news about exchanging. The end is in sight......
    • louby40
    • By louby40 20th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    louby40
    Oh congrats on the house going through - what a relief!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 20th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Yay - it's sold and the money is in the bank. Phew. Tried to pay off CC and stash loads away in premium bonds, but payment declined!! A bit scared about leaving so much cash in current account, but will have to for now. Maybe it's not properly cleared through!

Even more importantly MY SISTER HAS HAD HER BABY!!!! I am an aunty. so relieved and happy for them. He was an IVF miracle. Can't wait to see them, hoping to go on Friday.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 21st Feb 18, 12:54 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hi all.

So CC's are now all paid off.
    The big pot of cash remaining has been split 50/50 between a NS&I Fixed rate bond, which will pay us a monthly small income, and then 50% on premium bonds. I wanted to put it all on the fixed rate bond, but DH wanted a flutter (as he reckons he's lucky!!) so we compromised, with an agreement to see how it goes for 1 year - and if he doesn't earn more in prizes than we would get in interest then we will move it! This fund is essentially a house buying deposit so just needed it locked away a little bit out of reach so it doesn't get frittered away.

There's about 7.5K left after that, out of which I have bought a refurbished laptop for 350 one of those ones where the box was opened and returned, so saving a couple of 100 pounds off the asking price. Needed to get a new one as DD broke the screen on the old and I am having to use work one, which I don't like doing at home.

Then 1K will go into EF, and we are starting the farm business proper with the remainder - will be spent on a bit of kit - tractor, topper, post banger, and then some "animals" either cattle or more sheep - but I don't think this will happen for some time as need to sort fencing first. Definitely we will be paying for a farm advisor out of this so we can hopefully drawn down some grants to help get this going proper. DH also starts his new higher paying job end of month which he will run alongside the farm.

Next stop is reorganising all our accounts and payments to have a household account for all bills and savings (a santander 123 account, so we will get 1.5% interest on the balance) - going to wait until this months payments have gone out and then start this boring bit of admin.

Been waiting for so long to get to this stage. Now it's here, can't quite believe it. Next step for me is to sort out my DMP and start saving to pay it all off.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 21st Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    louby40
    YAY!!!!What good news all round. So pleased for you.

Someone who I work with had an IVF baby 2 years ago. She's now expecting totallly unplanned and un-expected baby #2 in June. She is soooo happy!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 22nd Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    aaawwww - i love stories like that. One of my bf had a failed ivf, and they could only have 1 round, but then magically got pregnant and their dd arrived last month. What a loved babe it will be.

going to see my neph tomorrow - excited!!!
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 22nd Feb 18, 11:29 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Great on credit cards paid off. Does that mean you are now completely debt free?
    Today is a new day 93/310 10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 23rd Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 5,366 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Such good news Ramble. Rooting for you. Have you just become first time Aunty. There is something really special about being an aunty - but perhaps even more so when It's unexpected xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 24th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Great on credit cards paid off. Does that mean you are now completely debt free?
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Hi Savingholmes, unfortunately it does not. I have a DMP from when crisis hit about 2 years ago - of circa 21K - I've been defaulted and am making regular payments towards this so not currently 100% sure of the debt left to go.

Since the crisis moment - basically caused by using CC's to do up house, going part time after mat leave and DH's income fluctuating (self employed.) In the last year, we've now moved area, I've almost doubled my wage, and DH is just about to start a new job with approx 8K payrise. We do live in slightly uncertain circumstances in that we are staying in a relatives house and we are not sure how long that will continue for - so I need to save to pay off my DMP, but also for future housing plans.

Our situation is so transformed, it's weird. Now the risk is that we "feel" well off so spend stupid and there's enough padding not to go back into debt, but we'd be wasting a huge opportunity to save towards future housing needs.

Next jobs on the list are as follows:
    • Organise redirection from old house
    • organise new passport for DH before cost goes up in March
    • Sort out moving D/D's to new household account
    • Set up new YNAB budget for personal / household and DH spends
    • Find out DMP debt details and decide on a payback strategy

Today however, my DH is going to pick up a tractor, and I'm hoping to see my neph. DD is poorly so couldn't take her yesterday and risk infesting the newborn!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 24th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Such good news Ramble. Rooting for you. Have you just become first time Aunty. There is something really special about being an aunty - but perhaps even more so when It's unexpected xx
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    I am a first time aunty! won't feel real until I have had a cuddle though!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 24th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hiya,

So had lovely nephew cuddles. Feel very blessed. It is such a miracle.

Right so - DMP land. Checked my credit report and this is what there is:

PR* group - 10,867
    Arr*w Global - 6,733
    T*sco - 3,670

21,270. Originally at default it was 22,017, so a measly 747 paid off. About 3%. A sobering read.

I am aiming to pay off in full - but have already been made some lower offers (I think the PR* group one has already offered me 4K less. But ultimately I may need a mortgage in the future and I'm hoping to clear before they will drop off my credit file in 5 years from now so probably need to pay off in full so they see i am good for the money again.

The advice in DMP land is to save up to pay off in 1 go rather than increase payments, and I've tried to find out what is better for ultimately getting a mortgage - paying the debt down as hard as possible, or saving up a bigger deposit (there's an opinion out there that you might as well just save up a bigger deposit as you'll get a rubbish rate of interest whatever you do.) so for now I'm just going to save up.

I might see if I can do 1% a month 213 - I'm already paying 100, so not too much extra to find, and then when we have a better buffer saved up in our household account, I will do more. I'll also get work expenses in from time to time.
    Last edited by ramblehan; 24-02-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 4th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Hi ramblehan, just popped in to say hi abd read your journey so far.

Congratulations on the house sale, that's amazing news and must be a huge relief.

You're making great progress and seem very organised. I love a good list but never revisit it to cross off my achievements - I think that's something I'll have to change.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 6th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hey Choccy girl. A list can be a joyous thing. My best are the ones short enough to all be achieved in a very short time frame. They give the most joy!

Next jobs on the list are as follows:
    • Organise redirection from old house
    • organise new passport for DH before cost goes up in March - Waiting until 25th March payday
    • Sort out moving D/D's to new household account
    • Set up new YNAB budget for personal / household and DH spends
    • Find out DMP debt details and decide on a payback strategy

So far so good. I also did a list on our chalkboard this week as have been too busy to check in here - mostly around moving d/d's to the new household account, which I have started, but there is a lot to do - and by gads it's a tedious bit of admin.

Discovered I haven't actually paid off one of the BC in full - which is why I have 1K in my current account - knew it had to come from somewhere. Now somewhat conflicted about whether to pay it off the CC, or keep it in the current account as EF (I will then have a 1K EF, and there;s a 1K EF in household account.) I'm going to hold off on this decision until the end of the month so I can see how this month goes - and what I may do instead is if I can pay at least 500 off the credit card out of the new incomings, i may just do this to pay off CC over 2 months.

Other positives - DH has started his new job - day 2 and all good so far. He's now on a tonne more money than before so so far all looking good.

I've also set up a regular saver from the household account which gives 5% interest on 200 a month so the EF will slowly transition into that and hopefully earn us a few pennies.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 6th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Gahhh - just had the ultimate bad news bomb. Checked final bill for elec from our old house - we'd had to put in electric oil heaters for last 6-8 weeks as it was empty with wood fired central heating and we were worried about damp etc.
    BAD NEWS IS final bill is 480!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's even with solar panels on. That's basically a years worth of payment for just 2 months of heat.

Sighs....puts up hands....now I need to re-work everything! Bye bye EF!!
    Hopefully final council tax bill won't be all bad news.
    Did also have 58 of top cash back that I have cashed in, so that can be chucked at it.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 6th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Right just did YNAB, moved everything around. EF in my account (or BC final payment as it should be) is now 800 rather than 1K, and I've scraped across all the other budget bits and bobs to come up with the 460 to pay that bill on the 9th March.

Still got some set aside to do Mum birthday and eek also realised it's mothers day this weekend, so something for both mums. Have a 20% discount code I can use to make this as low spends as possible.

Food wise - I've got an internet shop coming tomorrow night - which is a big one with lots of store cupboard stuff, so with what we have in freezer as well we should be Ok for a while, and there's a bit left in there for milk and fresh stuff.

Also expecting in child benefit on 21st, and an interest payment from the money we have invested (50??) and that's not yet spent in anyway so hopefully I can repay a bit of the EF from that. I've also got 130 pending on other TCB account but no idea when that will come in.

Right I'm going to sulk in bed!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 10th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    So another weekend is nearly done and dusted. Nice time had in Rambledon. We've moved the chickens indoors (poor them, but no choice due to bird flu thingy), done som tractor repairs. Walked the boundaries and found a gazillion holes in the fence, and now got 5 mins of peace and quiet before the rest of the crew gets back from beating the boundary so have lit the fire and got a glass of red on the go.

Horrible electric payment has gone out. Got mother's day presents and a few others sorted - all with 20% discount so that's something and there was money in the budget for it so all good.

Been slowly moving more d/d's across to new household account but it's deathly boring. The ones I have left to do all have to be called up - so think that will be a job for next Friday morning. One to look forward to!

Food budget looking low, but shelves are full so should be OK for a while yet. Feeling bored of waiting for next pay day.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 11th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 5,366 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Sorry about the big bill. I would have sulked too. But at least you can pay it. And not reaching for a credit card.

And Happy Mother's Day. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 11th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Thanks PSL - that is all true. Hope you are well, and thanks for the mothers day wishes.

My DH forgot to do anything for mothers day - feels terrible about it, but I am totally not bothered. The sweetest thing was that my DD (she's nearly 3) came running out of her room shouting 'mummy mummy it's your book' and gave me the book they got me for last mothers day, full of inspirational quotes. There is no way she knew it was mothers day or could join the dots, she just did it, that was my beautiful gift!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    ramblehan
    What a difference 24 hrs makes. So DD had a terrible fit yesterday PM (she gets febrile convulsions) but was a bad one so we ended up in hospital. She had a runny nose but was bright and lively all day - it happened so quickly.

Relative also poorly so that's meant a couple of unplanned spends - as well as unplanned spends for us hospital parking, new thermometer as our super expensive one had broken - GRR so annoying, but can't live without it. Should get some money back from relative for spends on them, but not just yet.

Still waiting to find out what final council tax bill will be for old house - talk about slow!

Feeling more than a little bit Meh with with everything so need to focus on some positives.

Positive 1 - I worked out our DFD and updated my signature so taking more accountability for paying things down quicker.
    Positive 2 - I have decided to aim to pay off the smallest debt first in full as this will hopefully show that we are making inroads into debt mountain (was previously thinking about chucking it at the biggest one). This will give me something to aim for, so going to see if I can set some goals around that.
    Positive 3 - DD is OK and the fit was just a nasty episode. Relative too is improving.
    Positive 4 - Going to look after my god kids at the weekend which will be mad but fun.

Right time to make some debt pay down plans.
    01/03/18: 21,270 DFD: Dec 2035
    2018 challenge - 191.31/3,670 (5.2%) as of 25.05.18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,040Posts Today

5,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin