Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 607Posts
    • 1,246Thanks
    ramblehan
    Wandering on
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    Wandering on 30th Dec 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had just over a year off the forum and a huge amount has happened in that time, but it feels like the right time to dip back in. 2018 is going to be the year that turns thing around for us.

A little about me: Family of 4 living in the sticks, spending too much money on oil and logs to stay warm. We've a posse of animals too that will one day pay their own way.

2016 headlines: Financial burnout to the tune of £22k which accumulated over time due to house renovations, Unsteady income and growing expenses for childcare. Resulted in a DMP...which I self manage and is slowly decreasing.

2017 headlines:
    Moved house with the ultimate aim of helping out aged relative, changed jobs etc.
    Currently paying for 2 houses and 40 hrs childcare a week.
    Finishing off old house and moving has racked up more debts to tune of £15k. £17.3K
    Tried to sell house but first sale fell through at the last minute as buyers for cold feet.
    House sold again for £5k more (crossing fingers and hoping)
    Got much better job in December £10k payrise, DH now also on regular income

Things to look forward to in 2018:
    Selling house - we'll clear the new £15k £17.3K, and be able to bank a huge pot of cash for future house plans.
    DD will become eligible for 30 hrs free childcare.
    No mortgage and reduced childcare will mean we are £1500 a month better off. This should all kick in by April.
    Will be able to pay more off DMP as a result.

So, 2017 has been a turn around year in many respects. A lot of hard work to come but it's all to play for in 2018.

Some other facts...
    We have YNAB, and it definitely helps but I'm not living by the rules and it shows....I'm going to use YNAB better.
    Sticking to a budget is our biggest trial....
    This year as finances will be oh so better I want to get our budget balanced right so we can live comfortably as well as save and pay off more on DMP.
    Hubby never knows what there is to spend so falls back on CC so this is something I definitely want to sort...thinking a prepaid credit card with phone app instead so he can see before he spends....I'm guilty of this too though (must use YNAB better.)
    I should get a pay rise in 2018 too, but want to increase my pension to 10% as company will match it (currently it's only 5%).

And that's it for now! Will set myself some goals later...
    Last edited by ramblehan; 02-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Page 1
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 30th Dec 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,396 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:47 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:47 PM
    Welcome back Ramblehan.

How nice that you have come back! We are richer for your presence.

This is going to be the year for you. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 30th Dec 17, 10:51 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:51 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:51 PM
    Welcome back and happy shiney new diary!

It sounds like you've had an extremely busy year, here's hoping 2018 will be better
    Check out my Diary
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 31st Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    A steadier calmer year would be appreciated!

Thanks for checking in both of you.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,729 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    Happy new diary, and best wishes for calm and steady.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 31st Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    louby40
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    Ahhh Ramblehan we!!!8217;ve missed you! I wondered how your house move had gone but figured you must have been having one of those mad years.

So glad to see you back here! It all sounds very exciting, new job etc

Happy New Year!!
    Last edited by louby40; 31-12-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 1st Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    Hey Louby - nice to be back - thanks for the lovely welcome. New job is very exciting but also slightly daunting - it's a very grown up job!
    Well done to you for paying back your folks - what a huge achievement.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    January Goals
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    Okay dokey. Time to get focussed. Here are my January goals.
    • Check Ynab weekly at least
    • Stay in budget for food for month (this may be tricky)
    • Review electricity / broadband suppliers etc as a year has passed since we moved in, so might be able to get a better deal
    • Call Water company as despite several calls still haven't had a bill from them since we moved in. Need to get it sorted before we owe too much (but really this is their fault!!!)
    • Organise a prepaid card for DH (I already have one)
    • Start a better form of savings tracker so I can see some positives.
    • Post a budget planned and then an 'actually what happened' budget - Shame myself into better behaviours!!
    • Carry on setting goals regularly....
    • .....that's it for now....!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    Some good news already - Some of the current CC debt was earning us terrible interest - but I have managed to get a 0% interest offer for next six months with a very low fee - so that will save us some extra cash in the short term.

Debts: Focus on the existing CC debt
    BC1 DH: £7,731.70 (Interest free until Oct, payment of £175.00 to come off this month)
    BC2 me: £9,615.79 (Extra payment of £750 to come off this month)
    Total: £17,347.49 (£16422.49 after this months payments)

Emergency Fund: £120 + £1250* = £1370
    *This is from a insurance payment from our garage being broken into in December and lots of DH's tools being stolen. Ideally at some stage when our finances are more stable, DH will get this money back to replace the rest, but for now it will be our emergency fund until house is sold.

Budget for remaining spends for January (until 25th) :
    Food: £106.11
    Fuel: £56.40

Food wise we have a fully stocked freezer and I have planned all the meals for this week so no more food shops this week. We have plenty in the freezer to get us through the month I think so other than some fruit, veggies and milk we should be OK.
    Fuel - I have a full tank as filled up yesterday - but this will possibly be short. I am waiting for a £160 expense claim for work so this will hopefully come in and top this pot up.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 4,796 Posts
    • 16,332 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi, just wanted to say good luck with everything and that I've subscribed to your diary.

Sympathies with the cost of oil etc, we are also a family of four living out in the sticks in an old cold stone built house, 12 mile round trip to nearest co-op, we also have various animal, dogs, pony, chickens that think it's a holiday park and have stopped laying because they are old and I havn't the heart to do anything about that so they just live the life of riley, think I have the oldest chickens in the world.

Take care xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings £10,000 Holiday spends £1000/£349.02 Kitchen savings stage 1 £1500/£160.24
    Amazon vouchers
    £9
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hi Pennywise,

Good to hear I am not alone! we've spent about £800 on oil already this winter and I'm not sure how much more we'll have to put in. We have an oil fired aga and wood fired central heating. This year's been extra tricky as we don't have any wood supplies of our own because we moved so are having to buy it all in - £300 spent so far. Find it very depressing (our last home we had solar panels and wood-fired central heating and with the solar credits we were actually £400 in credit after all expenses had gone out) sigh! I think reality most people have to pay what we are paying now so it's just adjusting to a less efficient house!

We have chickens too - 8 of them 2nd hand from a free range egg farm - we get 2 eggs a day - LOL! They are the friendliest bunch of hens we have ever had so I'm not too fussed!

We've just been given 2 pedigree cockrels so the plan now is to hatch some pedigree eggs and then start a little plan of rearing POL to sell on. We'll also get some hybrids out of them for our eggs with my current lovely hens so hopefully I can make a cake once in a while! Whether they make enough money to pay their own way remains to be seen.

Do you have a diary - I will look you up and subscribe. Thanks for checking in. It is really difficult to save money when you live rurally isn't it - we have to use car to get anywhere and then you don't have the cheapest shops close by either!
    • CP2016
    • By CP2016 2nd Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    CP2016
    Hi ramblehan and welcome back, I remember reading your old diary. We also have an oil fired aga and wood fired central heating so I can sympathise regarding costs - I like a nice mild winter.. We spend a lot of time in our thermals.

I wish you a calm and steady new year with a well ordered budget (I also use YNAB),
    “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
    Wiliam Morris
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jan 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4,796 Posts
    • 16,332 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi Pennywise,

Good to hear I am not alone! we've spent about £800 on oil already this winter and I'm not sure how much more we'll have to put in. We have an oil fired aga and wood fired central heating. This year's been extra tricky as we don't have any wood supplies of our own because we moved so are having to buy it all in - £300 spent so far. Find it very depressing (our last home we had solar panels and wood-fired central heating and with the solar credits we were actually £400 in credit after all expenses had gone out) sigh! I think reality most people have to pay what we are paying now so it's just adjusting to a less efficient house!

We have probably spent similar on oil, we have oil central heating, wood burners and use electric for cooking etc. DH works in farmimg so we never have to buy wood, there is always a tree that's blown down, old fence posts and an unlimited supply of pallets to be burnt so that's one big saving.

Do you have a diary - I will look you up and subscribe. Thanks for checking in. It is really difficult to save money when you live rurally isn't it - we have to use car to get anywhere and then you don't have the cheapest shops close by either!
    Originally posted by ramblehan
    Yes I have a diary, i'm useless at doing links but if you click on my name and you should be able to find it in my public profile, its called Alway's believe that something wonderful is about to happen!

Have a great day xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings £10,000 Holiday spends £1000/£349.02 Kitchen savings stage 1 £1500/£160.24
    Amazon vouchers
    £9
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hi ramblehan and welcome back, I remember reading your old diary. We also have an oil fired aga and wood fired central heating so I can sympathise regarding costs - I like a nice mild winter.. We spend a lot of time in our thermals.

I wish you a calm and steady new year with a well ordered budget (I also use YNAB),
    Originally posted by CP2016
    Oh yes - Thermals. Even the dog has one for the really bad nights!
    Thanks for checking in CP2016.
    Last edited by ramblehan; 02-01-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Pennywise - we are currently going through a stack of old fence posts to supplement what we are buying in!!!- we should be OK for next year as doing a load of hedgelaying this winter - on aged relative's plot so hopefully won't be too bad next winter.
    I've found your diary and subscribed!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 5th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Thank goodness for going back to work: normality of a sort returns to the household. and we did good - made lunches and 2 NSD's. Now on 2 days off, so trying to be good. Today is my day with my daughter so usually she has her swimming class, but had to wait in for a delivery. Going to try and be very good and spend little to nothing this afternoon, but want to do something nice so we have some quality time together.

Had a surprise bit of good news yesterday when I received a cheque for £50 in the post - it was a deposit refund for a room we booked at a village hall in December and I had forgotten all about it - BONUS. This will help out for sure. My work expenses of £160 approved and paperwork sent off so that should arrive within a couple of weeks. I want to try and put at least half of it into emergency fund, but I think I will definitely need to top up my petrol as some travelling with work to do (but I will get expenses back later for this too so a good earner in reality!) and maybe food a little too (but hopefully not)

Need to plan next week's menu and food shopping, but feels like this is a job for tomorrow.

Off to see the chickens and check on the sheep in a moment - and then perhaps a proper walk later - free and good fitness - especially if I'm carrying a nearly 3 year old on my back!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 5th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Oh - other bonus. Someone locally wants to get rid of a shed on FB and we were first in the queue - so this, with a bit of work will become a split residence for our 2 cockerels and their lovely ladies (yet to arrive - will need to figure out how to do this (get in fertlised eggs or young birds but will all depend on £££) so looks like plans are moving on in chicken land.

Tomorrow will be busy as got the shed to go and collect and we want to move the sheep and worm them. A very unsimple task as they are feral!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 5th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Another good result for a morning's admin:

Got in touch with Wessex water about water bill and they have said they will just start the account from today - so that's 9 months free water they have just gifted us - Thank you Wessex Water! Wasn't expecting that!

Progress made on January goals:

Check Ynab weekly at least Checked 5th Jan OK
    Stay in budget for food for month (this may be tricky) on track
    Review electricity / broadband suppliers etc as a year has passed since we moved in, so might be able to get a better deal
    Call Water company as despite several calls still haven't had a bill from them since we moved in. Need to get it sorted before we owe too much (but really this is their fault!!!) Done
    Organise a prepaid card for DH (I already have one) Done
    Start a better form of savings tracker so I can see some positives.
    Post a budget planned and then an 'actually what happened' budget - Shame myself into better behaviours!! Done - on track atm
    Sign DD up for free childcare hours -Done
    Carry on setting goals regularly
    Last edited by ramblehan; 05-01-2018 at 4:58 PM.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 5th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Feeling very MSE now*** - It's been a good take charge kind of day. Just sorted out new broadband & phoneline (£23.99 a month for broadband, phone rental and anytime calls to landlines and mobiles, versus current one where I pay about £50/month including calls!)

My work today is done!

***if only I hadn't driven to the post office to pay in £50 surprise cheque to discover I had left it at home.......Doh. A tab embarrassing!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 7th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,396 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Oh Ramble I have images of you trying to chase the sheep- I'm sure it's more orderly in real live than it is in my head!

How many sheep and chickens have you got. It sounds amazing to me. Will you get cows too, one of my friends has cows but they always seem a bit more frightening than timid sheep - And in my limited knowledge of these things a lot more work than sheep.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

466Posts Today

4,917Users online

Martin's Twitter