Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6,105Posts
    • 32,382Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary. 30th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    2018 is almost upon us and is set to be the year I get my finances in order.

So, what's changed since the start, middle, end of my last diary?
    - Regular income is up
    - Gained some knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet to budget
    - In a much better position to make steps towards positive change
    - My wife and I are working as a team
    - Unless anything drastically changes our son is staying at the local school

What do I want to achieve?
    - Regular and realistic amounts to savings each month
    - Make the mortgage payment up to 1,000 each month
    - Get a better rate on our mortgage
    - Get rid of a lot of things we don't need ... OK that's business as usual
    - Finish the house and consider our options (staying in current house or using the equity to move somewhere new - not to my childhood home and if I mention this, please feel free to point me to this starting post)
    - Monthly targets for both financial and personal goals
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments 5,500
Page 21
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 5th Aug 18, 11:36 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    NG: yes, we have been very busy. Cleared a lot of items I collected over the years, quite embarrassing how much we made because a lot of it I bought for the sake of owning through allowing myself to become far too attached to the idea of having rather than enjoying. Also sold one of our old cars and may sell another before the end of the summer. Will still be enjoying the rest but the fleet has got rather too big over the past few years.

Tootallulah: time does seem to move very quickly. My son is going to be 8 in November, entering year 3 in September. He is growing up quickly it seems to me but not quickly enough for his liking.

In other news, I!!!8217;m going to try to make some targets for August. Keeping on track is good for me and I!!!8217;ve missed the motivational aspect of being on here.

ETA: MSE still does not like my iPad.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Aug 18, 12:06 AM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 45,431 Thanks
    newgirly
    Brilliant Alex, its great you invested in stuff that holds its value
    MFW 21

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    themadvix
    I rarely comment here Alex, but you sound like you're in such a positive place at the moment - it's lovely to hear!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    NG: I suppose that's what made some of my more destructive behaviours not terribly bad; I've been good at buying things which have either not lost money or appreciated in value.

Vix: I am and thank you. Not been in the position to be this positive about my life before; one of the best things is seeing my wife happy to come home of an evening. I had not realised how much my problems had also affected those around me. Not going to take myself on a guilt trip over something I was unable to control, would rather we make the most of how things are now.

On the subject of which ... August targets
    Weekly spreadsheet / diary update 1/4
    10,000 steps per day 1/26
    Lose 2kgs ... again Parents have got into baking in a big way and keep sending cakes our way... well that's my excuse.
    Sell: /1,500
    Save: /500 Going to be an expensive month, so not going to manage to save much.
    Overpay: /500
    Last edited by AlexLK; 07-08-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 7th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Also sold one of our old cars and may sell another before the end of the summer. Will still be enjoying the rest but the fleet has got rather too big over the past few years.

Tootallulah: time does seem to move very quickly. My son is going to be 8 in November, entering year 3 in September. He is growing up quickly it seems to me but not quickly enough for his liking.

In other news, I!!!8217;m going to try to make some targets for August. Keeping on track is good for me and I!!!8217;ve missed the motivational aspect of being on here.

ETA: MSE still does not like my iPad.
    Originally posted by AlexLK

Well AlexLK - I never !!! Your post brings me back to your 1st post I read on here a few years ago, when you just happened to throw in at the last sentence - that you had bought a n other car, well I nearly fell off my seat and you have just managed it again . . .

"Also sold one of our old cars and may sell another before the end of the summer" . . . thud !!!

Is someone going to pick me up - cause I've just fell off me seat . . . again

Joking aside (am I ) we Scots have a very weird sense of humour - just ignore me

In all honesty, it is beyond words how far you have came on this journey and every time I read, I may not comment, but sometimes you put me to shame, you are doing so well, so pat on the back to you, well done , and keep going with your motivational targets/challenges.

And can I ask, with all this de-cluttering going on - are you sleeping any better? Feng Shui does say a un-cluttered room, an un-cluttered mind or something like that
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 12 months 12/24 (missing out no.13)
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thank you, AFK. Definitely going to carry on setting myself motivational targets / challenges, they help to keep me on track to do the things I want / need to do to get to the next step. I do not take the position I'm in for granted and know there are going to be times when my predisposition to a negative mindset will make things very difficult to stay on my current trajectory. However, I can help myself and am not too proud to ask for help when needed, so I think the future is much brighter than my past if I can use the tools I've gathered when I need to.

Re. cars: It gets the stage that there's so much maintenance to do and not enough time to enjoy them when they are working. When that happens, I think it's time for a few to find a new home.

I've been sleeping a lot better for a while - finding a career I want to pursue has really helped with that. The house being less of a mess may also have helped, though I'm not really sure about that. Mrs. K. has said she's found it easier to relax with less clutter but she's always disliked it.

Had quite a productive evening: cooked a nice meal, taught one of my remaining music pupils, went for a walk and have prepared a batch of chilli con carne.

August targets
    Weekly spreadsheet / diary update 1/4
    10,000 steps per day 2/26
    Lose 2kgs ... again Have tried to think about what I'm eating a bit more today so have ate a bit less food over the day. Mrs. K. thinks I need to lose more weight than I do - she wants me at the lower end of the BMI chart and I'm quite happy to stay in the middle of it. I like nice food far too much.
    Sell: /1,500
    Save: /500 Going to be an expensive month, so not going to manage to save much.
    Overpay: /500
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 58,686 Posts
    • 243,190 Thanks
    beanielou
    To overpay & to save 500 each is just awesome.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Aug 18, 9:52 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thank you, Beanie I sometimes get lost in thinking it's not great when we've been doing better. Already worked out this month is expensive which is a step in the right direction - knowing which months are going to be good and which are not so.

Eaten too much food today. Started the day in Starbucks with my colleague. Managed to drink the smallest latte and not feel terrible, not something I will be making into a habit again (coffee) but was a real treat. Also had a peanut and cashew nut bar which after looking at the nutritional info was not good and it didn't taste too great either. Lunch was also at a cafe, very nice little independent place I will be going back to. Realised I give myself too large a helping of food at dinnertime; my wife eats very little and I suppose I eat what she doesn't. I'm not overweight but anyone would think so if they heard my wife speak about it.

Spoke to my friend from school who recently got married this evening; his wife is expecting their first child. The subject of his family came up as he wants to tell them and for them to be a family and be a part of the child's life but they refused to come to his wedding, so don't think that's going to go well.

No targets to update today.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Aug 18, 10:58 AM
    • 16,674 Posts
    • 110,010 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Spoke to my friend from school who recently got married this evening; his wife is expecting their first child. The subject of his family came up as he wants to tell them and for them to be a family and be a part of the child's life but they refused to come to his wedding, so don't think that's going to go well.
    Maybe you could offer to drive him round there to talk Alex, am sure that would help .

It's such a shame they are missing out on all this. Is this the chap who was taking drugs at one stage?

Maybe he could keep in contact by writing to them with a picture of the scan and keep them updated in a really positive manner. I do hope they come round.

Great to hear you so positive Alex . FYI, Starbucks do a lovely cup of Earl Grey, though obviously not in bone china , lighter on the stomach than milky coffee.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 9th Aug 18, 11:07 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    A client treated me to lunch today ... you know where this is going ... ate really badly and father insisted I picked a lemon cake up from theirs as well as my son on my way home. Son has been with my parents today dog walking, playing with model railway and baking. Pleased to say he had a really good day and so did my parents. I was somewhat apprehensive when they offered to have him as my cousin has gone on holiday for a week but seems they really enjoyed having him for the day.

Nothing really interesting to report financially other than we are eating quite cheaply at the moment because Mrs. K. and I are at work all day we are enjoying our slow cooker and not going out for food during the week.

Business wise I've got another project going through at the moment.

Gally: Thank you and yes, same one.

Tried going around there before the wedding; they are not interested in talking to him, completely cut him out of their family including inheritance a few years ago apparently. He's got siblings that didn't come to his wedding because their parents told them not to. Can't see them wanting to be involved in his child's life, to be honest. Did make me think whilst my parents can be an absolute nightmare to deal with sometimes, they were there for me when I was very ill. In their own funny way they were doing what they thought was the right thing as parents.

I would usually have tea but really wanted a cup of coffee that day!
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Aug 18, 11:32 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Another day eating things that aren't good for me. At least I'm now noticing all the things I eat rather than thinking I eat a fairly good diet because I don't tend to snack and have a fair amount of fruit and veg. Colleague bought me a latte from a little independent cafe (he went on his own and I didn't want coffee but he thought he was being nice hence I felt obliged to drink it); the milk was extremely rich and reminded me of the milk I had at my relatives dairy farm during childhood. Lots of nostalgia there but felt ill all day since and I suffered one of the problems I have when drinking anything strongly caffeinated. Think I'm going to tell my colleague I try not to drink coffee.

In other news, we've not spent too much on food this week. Also, not spent outside a few food purchases. The new project is a getting a little closer to being realised also.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 11th Aug 18, 12:15 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    I know I have been awol not reading as I should, but what is this "new project" you are hinting at ???

Want to share your secret ?
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 12 months 12/24 (missing out no.13)
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• Bradypus
    • By Bradypus 11th Aug 18, 4:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bradypus
    Yeah, let's hear about this "secret"...

- 3xToe.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,743 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Hey Alex, if you're still looking to cut down your consumption of meat and animal products, some of the dairy alternatives are a great place to start and then you don't need to feel bad about an occasional latte!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Sep 18, 2:53 PM
    • 8,957 Posts
    • 8,866 Thanks
    -taff
    I used to get coffee from a certain chain coffee shop and always felt ill afterwards. Someone suggested trying the soy milk version, crisis averted, didn't feel sick after those ones.

As far as the food goes, I can't taste anything at the moment, or it tastes disgusting, very annoying, I love my food. So, as long as you're healthy-ish [not talking superman healthy fighting fit run a marathon climb a mountain fit run away from zombies fit] and you'r not overweight and it doesn't make you feel bad - like the milk or the coffee] just eat what you like.
    I'm going to have a happy trawl back through your thread, it's been a while, and it's good to hear you sounding so great.
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 1st Oct 18, 12:03 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Hi Alex!

Things look like they are going very well for you at the minute - I hope it long continues!

Tell Mrs LK that she will give you an eating disorder if she keeps discussing your BMI and that you won't be half as much fun to cuddle if you become too thin!
    Last edited by PositiveBalance; 05-11-2018 at 4:01 PM.
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6771.01 (58%); remaining debt: 5069.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now
    2799.40 (44% repaid)
    Emergency Fund (#187): 500/500
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 4th Oct 18, 9:22 AM
    • 7,717 Posts
    • 17,037 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    *moonwalks into the room* hey everyone...looooooong time no see! Hope you're all well

Alex - glad to see the journey is still going well <3

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#Starmer4PM
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 4th Oct 18, 6:46 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 45,431 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi Alex, you have been away a while now, please pop back and see us
    MFW 21

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 18, 9:48 PM
    • 58,686 Posts
    • 243,190 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all is well in your world.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • spinachmuncher
    • By spinachmuncher 3rd Dec 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    spinachmuncher
    hello
    silent follower for a long time - anyone heard from Alex - hope he is ok
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

493Posts Today

3,687Users online

Martin's Twitter