Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6,090Posts
    • 32,250Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary. 30th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    2018 is almost upon us and is set to be the year I get my finances in order.

So, what's changed since the start, middle, end of my last diary?
    - Regular income is up
    - Gained some knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet to budget
    - In a much better position to make steps towards positive change
    - My wife and I are working as a team
    - Unless anything drastically changes our son is staying at the local school

What do I want to achieve?
    - Regular and realistic amounts to savings each month
    - Make the mortgage payment up to 1,000 each month
    - Get a better rate on our mortgage
    - Get rid of a lot of things we don't need ... OK that's business as usual
    - Finish the house and consider our options (staying in current house or using the equity to move somewhere new - not to my childhood home and if I mention this, please feel free to point me to this starting post)
    - Monthly targets for both financial and personal goals
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments 5,500
Page 17
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    • 55,474 Posts
    • 222,674 Thanks
    beanielou
    Loch Garten is lovely.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 28th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 16,612 Posts
    • 109,705 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Alex - some America bald eagle chicks on this webcam
    https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 29th Apr 18, 10:37 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 32,250 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Contentment certainly is thought provoking and one to be mused on. I kind of agree that in the main it has to be worked on, though how consciously you are able to do that i'm not too sure. Equally the realisation that you are content does seem to just happen, and i suspect out of nowhere rather than increasing month by month... possibly?!?!?

Not to sure what i have said there, very abstract thinking for a Saturday morning (good job i wasn't drinking last night!).
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    I've no idea how one finds contentment, to be honest. My parents instilled the notion only the lazy and without ambition are content with what they have. However, I don't think that is the case (hence thinking it comes later in life) and would like to raise my son to be content with his own life rather than constantly coveting more.

Loved it! 13 of us in a large house that was warm and comfortable. There was a large bird-feeder outside the kitchen window and we saw all sorts of small birds on it; siskins, long-tailed tits, great tits, blue tits, chaffinches, coal tits and a regular red squirrel. We had stayed at the house before and only I saw a red squirrel then but he is obviously a regular visitor now and he gave us a huge amount of pleasure. It dumped about 5-6" (up to 15cm) snow every night for the first four and that is not my kind of walking weather but we had a super glen walk on the first warm sunny day and I spotted a distant pink-footed goose standing sentinel beside a nest on the ground with the female in it. Also explored Grantown on Spey for the first time. I never mind going back to the Cairngorms.

Ref the first part of your post, I am away a bit at the moment and my weight has crept up just enough so that the odd blouse feels snug or too short so I agree. Back to meat and veg or meat and salads for me now it is a bit warmer. And I must stop drinking the delicious bitter at the local when we go there - a glass of red wine is so much less fattening but still a pleasant social experience. I've posted the other two web cams in case your son would like to see them too

here is the woodland trust

Loch Garten is here
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Loch Garten is lovely.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Sounds wonderful. We plan to make our way to Scotland for a family holiday at some point.

Thank you for the other webcams. Will show them to my son tomorrow.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 29th Apr 18, 10:38 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 32,250 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Alex - some America bald eagle chicks on this webcam
    https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Another one to show my son tomorrow.

He'll love these. Thank you.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 1st May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Hi Alex

Interesting re contentment. I can see your parents' idea that it is good to strive for 'better' or 'more' and the benefits this can bring to life. There is perhaps an argument that once a person has reached a certain level of competence, wealth, fitness or whatever they were striving for they may enter a period of 'enough' and be perfectly content with that aspect of their life at that point.

I feel lots of people burn out or have health issues through the constant striving if it is accompanied by anxiety or a feeling that they or their efforts aren't enough on some scale they feel the outside world will measure them against, not sure if the same can be said for someone who is basically quite content. That doesn't mean they are stagnating necessarily, just happy that they are measuring up to their own measure of success and therefore content.

I'm not sure I measure myself against others that much - there will always be someone in a perceived better position, always someone in a perceived worse position. Others' success takes nothing away from me, others' failures does not make me any better than them. I can only live my own life and in the main am fairly content. Am I lazy? Does anyone care what I'm doing enough to think about it and label me as such ? Not sure but thank you, its given me food for pondering for this evening.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 5th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 32,250 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I need to get back to being productive and effective in budgeting. We're spending a lot of money and I'm still struggling to get the eating out under control. Eating too much, drinking too much and it took its toll this morning. Work is still going well as is business.

Looked out the window this morning and thought it would have been the perfect for this upcoming wedding. Mrs. K. has been making a guest book for them this week. Friend is very concerned about what the bride's parents / family is going to think about his family not being there.

Daisy, I don't want my son to grow up to be as unsatisfied as my parents are. Father regrets a lot and both could not be satisfied they have 'enough'. I fall into the same category but am careful to feign being content with life to my son as I think my dissatisfaction is something I learnt to an extent.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th May 18, 11:03 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 32,250 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Having a good week so far: spent very little money, eating much more healthily and moving towards finalising kitchen design.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 11th May 18, 12:27 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Having a good week so far: spent very little money, eating much more healthily and moving towards finalising kitchen design.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    All sounds very positive, well done.

Take care
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 55,474 Posts
    • 222,674 Thanks
    beanielou
    Originally posted by AlexLK

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 32,250 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thank you.

Had a quiet day in the office today before picking my son up, cooking a family meal and going for a long walk. Sat by the river for a while, Mrs. K. was really good with our son this evening. After he went to bed she decided to look through our old photos. That brought a lot of memories back and I realised just how much things have changed, how much I've improved my mental health and attitude to life and how much my son has grown. Mrs. K. thinks we're through the hardest part of our lives now, I'm inclined to agree with caution as no one is aware what's around the corner.

My friend gets married tomorrow. He came here to stay for the evening just in time to see all our photos. He remembers Mrs. K. and I getting married, was convinced it wouldn't last at the time. Told me tonight he wants a family of his own. I really hope things work out for him this time. The wedding is small without an evening reception but still quite a few guests.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 55,474 Posts
    • 222,674 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely day

***Keep plodding***
    • CathT
    • By CathT 12th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 39,195 Thanks
    CathT
    Have a lovely day at the wedding.

I know the discussion about contentment was a few posts back but I often get this feeling. We are not well off but are comfortable, have two wonderful children and have been together for 16 years. I sometimes just get that feeling whilst we are all spending quality time together at home and also realise how fortunate I am. You have come a long way Alex in so many ways.
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - 77,571
    part 2 - 45,272
    Total - 122,843
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 29,448 Posts
    • 169,014 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I hope today's gone really well for you and for the whole group, Alex.
    Retired August 2016
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 13th May 18, 12:15 AM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 32,250 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thanks all. Had a lovely day today and friend is successfully wed. Somehow managed to get him to the wedding on time (Mrs. K. was very impressed I somehow managed to get there first ), not forget the rings and deliver two speeches as he couldn't get beyond the first sentence of his. Mind, the tears started from the minute he saw her. Can remember him saying after marrying his first wife that he didn't understand why people got emotional at weddings.

(Finally) realised we've all moved on from the who we were at school. Friend getting married was an absolute liability until giving up cocaine, now he's one of the most reliable people I know. Someone else from school used to be extremely vain and is now rather overweight and balding very badly. After seeing him I was no longer surprised all his online photos are of his wife and two children. Another is married but his wife is undergoing IVF. She's absolutely desperate to become a mother. We all seem to have been affected by something which has changed us, I've just been too self absorbed to think it was only me.

Tomorrow we are going to declutter a bit and raise some additional funds.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 11,200
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 13th May 18, 2:59 AM
    • 6,360 Posts
    • 43,962 Thanks
    newgirly
    Glad the wedding went well Alex

It's true what you say, you think people you haven't seen for years will all still be as they were when we ourselves have moved on. Had to laugh at the overweight balding 'vain' friend
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/13,632 paid so far

Mortgage 36,319 4yrs left. Total owed 48,358 plan to clear in 14 months
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 13th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 21,157 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I know what you mean about people moving on and things changing. We invited lots of old friends and family to a large party a few years ago and were really surprised when most rellies turned us down because they were too old to travel to a party...

And then there was a friend we had only been in scant contact with for a few years who now has a serious heart condition. It really makes us focus on our positive circumstances (despite being old and too fat, and still in debt).

A bit of comparison never hurt any of us, providing we have a sense of perspective - which you do.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after June 55.17% 5,517.10/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 1,288.55/3,000 including stores so far 42.95% of my annual budget at the end of June
    My DFD is here
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 13th May 18, 8:47 AM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 13,729 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Without getting to philosophical on a Sunday morning, i think its all a part of appreciating our own sense of self! It'll have been happening for hundreds of years, however i do fear for our own kids having to do it through the glare of "un-social media".

Sounds like you had a great day and are motivated for your next life phase!

Now get that decluttering sorted. My advice is to declutter the storage units as well as the junk that's in them!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 40//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 43,102.24
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Current: 92,897.77 // Avg Daily Interest 4.17
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of 41,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 29,448 Posts
    • 169,014 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That same comparison can be really surprising ... I was in the mood to google the names of the people I was seeing in the photos I was scanning. Searched for one girl who grew up in the town next door to me, very well off (father was a bank manager, a big deal back then), and she married a JRR Tolkien relative. I met her at polytechnic. But at a certain point, finances etc don't mean a thing - she died at the age of 53.

I'd feel more comfortable saying "live your life" if I wasn' t stuck at home with a lurgy that finds me unable to talk ...
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th May 18, 11:35 AM
    • 55,474 Posts
    • 222,674 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad all went well yesterday.
    Happy decluttering!

***Keep plodding***
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 13th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Congratulations on collecting some more wisdom yesterday, Alex!

It sounds like a lovely day and well done on being such a good Best Man!
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6351.01 (54%); remaining debt: 5289.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now
    2945.00 (41% repaid)
    Emergency Fund (#187): 0/500
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

8,057Users online

Martin's Twitter