Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6,066Posts
    • 32,095Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary. 30th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    2018 is almost upon us and is set to be the year I get my finances in order.

So, what's changed since the start, middle, end of my last diary?
    - Regular income is up
    - Gained some knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet to budget
    - In a much better position to make steps towards positive change
    - My wife and I are working as a team
    - Unless anything drastically changes our son is staying at the local school

What do I want to achieve?
    - Regular and realistic amounts to savings each month
    - Make the mortgage payment up to 1,000 each month
    - Get a better rate on our mortgage
    - Get rid of a lot of things we don't need ... OK that's business as usual
    - Finish the house and consider our options (staying in current house or using the equity to move somewhere new - not to my childhood home and if I mention this, please feel free to point me to this starting post)
    - Monthly targets for both financial and personal goals
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
Page 12
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 4th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Had a nice weekend and been enjoying ourselves far too much to think about targets etc. Aware I need to try to get back on track as not up to date with much.

Red Squirrel: quite a lot of time has passed. To be honest, I don't think my family and their family are going to become friends.

We've had a lot of snow drives for both business and personal reasons, bit of an excuse to get the LR out. My son had a wonderful time enjoying the snow this weekend.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 10:44 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,853 Thanks
    Karmacat
    We've had a lot of snow drives for both business and personal reasons, bit of an excuse to get the LR out. My son had a wonderful time enjoying the snow this weekend.
    Originally posted by AlexLK

And *you* had a wonderful time in the LR Hurray
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you both had a good time
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 5th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thanks Karmacat and Beanie. Yes, I enjoyed getting the LR out in the snow.

A good but busy work day today. Aware I need to work on my records and make some March targets. Still feels like February due to the weather ... well I'll blame it on that.

Son wasn't happy this morning when we realised we had nothing to make lunch with and were too late to drive to the supermarket so had to have a school made lunch. He didn't really enjoy it and Mrs. K. made matters worse this evening by taking a photo of a delicious looking cafe lunch she had and showing to our son declaring she had a lovely meal. I had a shockingly bad (healthwise) but delicious lunch from a cafe close to my office.

Realised Easter is not far away after the in-laws called to ask what we've planned. From that, you can likely gather we've planned absolutely nothing.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Cannot seem to work out what I want to do this March, apart from a 250 overpayment and 1,500 saving. Have put a few more kitchen ideas together over the past few weeks and have a plan to work towards. Also at this stage with the new project... amazing how quickly things progress when the only goal is to make some money.

Enjoying work still but finding parenting difficult at the moment. He seems to be an awful lot more independent since this school year started. Think a lot is due to both my wife and I now working full time. Academically I do think it has slowed him down as I am not spending as much time moving him forward to the next level apart from with his Music and any school projects he has.

Had a bit of a strange Mother!!!8217;s Day. Son and I bought Mrs. K. a gift, my parents have gone away so not dealt with my mother yet apart from a phone call. Went to my cousin!!!8217;s for lunch. Son had decided he wanted to buy her a present and found Mrs. K. had another present from son and cousin. . Visiting the in laws later for dinner, so a busy day.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 11th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,552 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Cannot seem to work out what I want to do this March, apart from a 250 overpayment and 1,500 saving.
    Em..... that's enough to be getting on with

Enjoying work still but finding parenting difficult at the moment. He seems to be an awful lot more independent since this school year started. Think a lot is due to both my wife and I now working full time. Academically I do think it has slowed him down as I am not spending as much time moving him forward to the next level apart from with his Music and any school projects he has.
    Learning independence is just as important as progressing academically at his age Alex .

Rutland Webcam up and running though think they are all still in Africa.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 11th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 6,187 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Also, moving forward academically is not always best, breadth, depth and consolidation are crucial, as is application of skills. So, stop fretting. He will be fine. Children with far less parental input are successful in life.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 11th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Happy Mother's Day to Mrs LK and I hope you have all had fun.

The life of a parent, eh? You were worried about Master LKs social skills a little while back...think of it that he is just catching up there!
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: 5439.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now 3818.43
    Emergency Fund (#187): 0/1000
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    & just think you are saving & OPing way way in excess of my montly income
    How awesome

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Em..... that's enough to be getting on with

Learning independence is just as important as progressing academically at his age Alex .

Rutland Webcam up and running though think they are all still in Africa.
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I think it will be enough for this month.

I suppose it seems like I'm not as good a parent as I was. Still make as much time as possible for him but things have changed. Seems five minutes ago since he was too young to go to school.

Thank you for the reminder re. ospreys. We'll be keeping track of them.

Also, moving forward academically is not always best, breadth, depth and consolidation are crucial, as is application of skills. So, stop fretting. He will be fine. Children with far less parental input are successful in life.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Thank you, wishing.

Happy Mother's Day to Mrs LK and I hope you have all had fun.

The life of a parent, eh? You were worried about Master LKs social skills a little while back...think of it that he is just catching up there!
    Originally posted by PositiveBalance
    Thank you.

He doesn't get on with everyone but hope he is catching up.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    & just think you are saving & OPing way way in excess of my montly income
    How awesome
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Trying our best at the moment.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Visited the in laws and went out for dinner. Quite a large gathering of Mrs. K., son, mother and father-in-law, brother-in-law, his wife, their two children, sister-in-law (unexpectedly), her partner, three children and I. Mrs. K. and her sister haven't seen each other in a while and avoid speaking as they have very different lives / views etc. First thing her sister felt the need to comment on was how my wife was dressed for the occasion. Other gems from the sister-in-law included telling her (fairly new) partner (loudly enough someone two tables away looked over) I'm a "tax evading slumlord", falling out with her father because he told her to be quiet and ordering the most expensive bottle of wine on the list and three "mocktails" for her children when I offered to pay for a round of drinks.

The evening ended better when everyone but sister-in-law's brood went back to my in-laws where I found out father-in-law wants a snooker rematch.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 12th Mar 18, 7:51 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    What appalling behaviour, you have to worry what her children are going to end up like.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 12th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 6,275 Posts
    • 43,341 Thanks
    newgirly
    At least your fil tried to shut her up Alex that's good! staying composed around rudeness like that often irritates the perpetrator more, especially when they are clearly something suffering from petty jealousy and trying to get a reaction
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/11,092 paid so far

Mortgage 38,275 4yrs 1mth left. Total owed 50,898 plan to clear in 14 months
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 12th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Your SiL sounds like a delight! Well done on keeping your cool.

Not only did your behaviour totally show her up, you will earned extra brownie points with the In Laws.
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: 5439.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now 3818.43
    Emergency Fund (#187): 0/1000
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lovely SIL~~not.

***Keep plodding***
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 12th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    Maya the osprey is back -earlier than usual
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 12th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,552 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Maya the osprey is back -earlier than usual
    Originally posted by Debsnewbudget
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 13th Mar 18, 12:24 AM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I was so pleased to see Maya back earlier. Wasn't expecting any returners yet.

Things are difficult between Mrs. K. and her sister. Apparently always has been the case even when they were growing up. Her children were well mannered enough but one is a cause for concern according to my mother-in-law.

Father-in-law was . Sister-in-law cannot take responsibility for her own actions and someone else is always to blame for the choices she has made. Her parents have spent a lot of time, effort and money trying to give her three children opportunities their other grandchildren have and Mrs. K. / brother-in-law will see no inheritance because her sister is the only one to not have her own house.

Had a wonderful but heartbreaking conversation over the 'phone with my own parents tonight. They told me about all the places they'd like to visit before asking if I minded them spending more time away and properly retiring from business. Really not easy to hear my parents telling me they realise their own mortality and believe they have only a few years to actively visit places together (true but still quite difficult to come to terms with). I'm really pleased they are going to do something not related to business as they've spent their whole adult lives working 7 day weeks and mother hasn't really retired at all.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 13th Mar 18, 7:08 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Strange situation there with sil. Often parents do everything possible to show they are treating children absolutely equally down to the last pound over xmas and birthday presents rather than actively telling them they will be treating one much more favourablythan the others. Obviously we don't know the why behind her having managed to have a family without having her own place but their behaviour seems odd to me - prob understandable with full background (not asking you for that info Alex, just musing).

That does sound like a very positive convo with your parents. How nice to hear they are looking to shift their focus and enjoy life. Nice also that you will presumably have more free will over the business to feel it's properly yours rather than theirs, but still with them there for advice if you need it.

'Retirement' and how everyone views it is interesting as a concept - I remember having a conversation with someone at work when there were lots of us due to be leaving under redundancy and retirement packages. I knew I was going in just a few months, they were much older than me and were perplexed at me 'retiring' at 50, they were saying they'd never really thought about retiring. I responded I hadn't thought about anything else since the day I started work at 18. Ah well, as my grandma used to say, it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

Lovely post to read this morning Alex, have a good day

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin