Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 30th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 2,573Posts
    • 1,955Thanks
    Alexland
    VLS not on Halifax SD?
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    VLS not on Halifax SD? 30th Dec 17 at 2:39 PM
    Hi,

This has stumped me. A while ago I performed an in-specie transfer of VLS units to Halifax SD. I have so far avoided trading but today I had a look and noticed that VLS series is not in the list of funds available to trade despite them offering the similar VTR series. As such when I click on my holding to sell their interface tells me that the fund code is not recognised so it looks like I cannot sell online?

So given they don't support L&G MI either it looks like the only low cost multi asset funds available on Halifax SD are the HSBC Global Strategy series?

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 30-12-2017 at 5:52 PM.
Page 1
    • Camster
    • By Camster 30th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Camster
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    I have a Halifax Share Dealing account and contacted them about this. They have told me it is due to a technical problem and they are working on it as a priority to resolve the issue.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 93,016 Posts
    • 60,401 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    it looks like the only low cost multi asset funds available on Halifax SD are the HSBC Global Strategy series?
    That is not necessarily a problem depending on which VLS version you were looking at. If VLS60 was your choice then HSBC is better. It isnt necessarily the case across the whole range though as the matches are not exact.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 30th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    That is not necessarily a problem depending on which VLS version you were looking at. If VLS60 was your choice then HSBC is better. It isnt necessarily the case across the whole range though as the matches are not exact.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I agree they are also good funds however substantially smaller in size to the VLS series. I am considering swapping my VLS80 for HSBC Dynamic (+4% equities) in my Halifax SD SIPP and then increasing my bond and UK weightings in my workplace scheme (which is already more bond heavy to bring me down to an average 70% shares exposure) to further compensate which should, for the cost of 2 trades on Halifax SD, reduce my fees across the two schemes by around 50 per year with the saving increasing as the assets grow.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 30-12-2017 at 5:58 PM.
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 30th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 30th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    I have a Halifax Share Dealing account and contacted them about this. They have told me it is due to a technical problem and they are working on it as a priority to resolve the issue.
    Originally posted by Camster
    I've just checked it as well as I have VLS funds on HSD, but the VLS funds have disappeared from the list as regards buying or selling. Luckily I don't want to buy or sell at present, but still a bit concerning.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 2nd Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    Looks like it's working again today.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 2nd Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    it looks like the only low cost multi asset funds available on Halifax SD are the HSBC Global Strategy series?

Alex.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Hi dunstonh,

What is it about the HSBC fund that is better than VLS60?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 2nd Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Appreciate the question is aimed at Dunstonh but the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced has 4% more equities and 0.03% lower fees which are generally good things. Also the HSBC has no home bias and the bonds are 60% corporate versus 60% government in VLS which could be good or bad depending on your perspective.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 3rd Jan 18, 1:15 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 3rd Jan 18, 1:15 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 1:15 AM
    Hi dunstonh,

Appreciate the question is aimed at Dunstonh but the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced has 4% more equities and 0.03% lower fees which are generally good things. Also the HSBC has no home bias and the bonds are 60% corporate versus 60% government in VLS which could be good or bad depending on your perspective.
    Thanks Alexland.

I can see how the equity proportion and lower fees might/will be preferable in HSBC Global Strategy Balanced vs VLS60.

HSBC with ~4% UK equities is obviously far lower than the ~24% in VLS or the ~14% in Blackrock Consensus that I hold. The differences are significant.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Corporate Bonds vs Government Bonds?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 3rd Jan 18, 2:53 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Corporate Bonds vs Government Bonds?
    Primarily risk and return. Corporate bonds are a higher risk and offer a higher return. Government bonds (from G20 countries, at least) are lower risk and offer a lower return.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 3rd Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    Also the bonds might behave differently in a crisis but that really depends on the nature of the situation.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    IanManc
    Looks like it's working again today.
    Lifestrategy 20% Acc & Inc, 40% Acc & Inc, 60% Inc, 80% Inc and 100% Inc are all still missing from the funds available on IWEB.

• Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Jan 18, 10:36 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    Lifestrategy 20% Acc & Inc, 40% Acc & Inc, 60% Inc, 80% Inc and 100% Inc are all still missing from the funds available on IWEB.

Originally posted by IanManc
    I just checked on Halifax SD and they are only offering VLS60, 80 and 100 ACC units only so that matches.

Sorry I only checked VLS80 ACC as that's the one I hold although I am dialing down the risk to HSBC GS Balanced given market performance in recent weeks.
    Last edited by Alexland; 12-01-2018 at 7:06 PM.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    I decided to proceed but as the transaction was over the Halifax 100k online trade limit I had to phone up but they still offered the online trade rate which was very nice of them. The VLS sale completed today and I just phoned back to place the HSBC order. So now my total equities exposure is a bit lower and my bonds in the 2 pensions are better split between corporate and government. Also, excluding these two Halifax trade costs, my total weighted fund and platform costs across my 2 pensions are down to 0.31%.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 11-01-2018 at 2:56 PM.
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 11th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Audaxer
    I decided to proceed but as the transaction was over the Halifax 100k online trade limit I had to phone up but they still offered the online trade rate which was very nice of them. The VLS sale completed today and I just phoned back to place the HSBC order. So now my total equities exposure is a bit lower and my bonds in the 2 pensions are better split between corporate and government. Also, excluding these two Halifax trade costs, my total weighted fund and platform costs across my 2 pensions are down to 0.31%.

Alex.
    Alex, did you sell over 100k of VLS80 and buy HSBC GS Balanced in it's place? If you had to wait for the VLS sale proceeds coming through before the HSBC purchase, how long were you out of the market?

My wife has recently bought some HSBC GS Bal, but we currently have much more VLS, so I'm thinking of replacing some of my VLS40 with HSBC GS Bal to lessen our UK exposure a bit. The VLS funds are currently with HSD, but I must admit I'm a bit concerned about having too much invested with them when I hear of VLS products disappearing from their system at times, and not being available to buy or sell them.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 12th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    Yes all done on the phone this week - the VLS80 sale took around 48 hours to become available cash and the HSBC GS Balanced purchase completed today in 24 hours. The VLS price dropped the day after the sale so I managed to get into HSBC without any real difference in value.

I don't think there's anything particularly sinister about VLS disappearing from Halifax and it might have been possible to do a telephone trade during the period. I was still stumped when it happened.

I still like a bit of UK bias but it makes most sense for me to hold the UK shares, gilts and cash in my workplace pension alongside some global equities where the fees for those UK funds are lower and I get return on cash. I can adjust my workplace pension with no trade fees to get my target allocation. I am holding circa 10% cash, as the L&G MI funds would, to try and adjust my exposure to the economic cycle.

Alex
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 12th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Audaxer
    Yes all done on the phone this week - the VLS80 sale took around 48 hours to become available cash and the HSBC GS Balanced purchase completed today in 24 hours. The VLS price dropped the day after the sale so I managed to get into HSBC without any real difference in value.
    Gosh, that is one heck of a big trade. Well done.
    I don't think there's anything particularly sinister about VLS disappearing from Halifax
    That's good. I was getting a bit concerned as I don't think it seems the most reliable platform.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 12th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    Gosh, that is one heck of a big trade. Well done.
    That's good. I was getting a bit concerned as I don't think it seems the most reliable platform.
    Originally posted by Audaxer
    Yeah I wouldn't try a trade of that size in exchange traded Shares, ITs or ETFs incase it had an influence on the market but with funds you can get away with it as you get in and out at the same daily fund price as everyone else.

HSBC GS Balanced only has 167m of assets so I now own circa 0.1% of the whole fund.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 12-01-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 12th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    IanManc
    I don't think there's anything particularly sinister about VLS disappearing from Halifax and it might have been possible to do a telephone trade during the period. I was still stumped when it happened.
    All five of the Acc Lifestrategy versions are now available in IWEB, but still none of the Inc versions.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 12th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    All five of the Acc Lifestrategy versions are now available in IWEB, but still none of the Inc versions.
    Originally posted by IanManc
    Maybe people are complaining one fund at a time? You would think they would prefer to have the income ones as people might incur trade costs reinvesting returns.
    Last edited by Alexland; 12-01-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

53Posts Today

3,197Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin