Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 1,084Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
Page 66
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 15th Sep 18, 10:59 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    No decluttering for me today, have been out for most if the day to an event where DD won a raffle prize which was carefully chosen for a further charity auction. Things out not in

Have decided that perhaps stepping off my soapbox could be a health and safety issue.......more likely to fall off it due to being in a wheelchair.....and clumsy

guineapigsqeaks I'm terrible for my multiple cuppas first thing.......its a needs must thing
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 16th Sep 18, 5:41 AM
    • 7,705 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Yesterday no decluttering was done, but I took two loads of stuff to the cs.
    NSD September 14/26
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Sep 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    villagelife
    Guinespigsqueaks I am a ladybugs i think but with a son at home who is a butterfly and husband is a bee.

1138 a tankers that DS2 somehow managed to bring home for a friend in May has been returned.
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 16th Sep 18, 7:59 AM
    • 7,705 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    So far I've sorted through and decluttered an old Filofax that I'll probably keep (was a present from mum) and got twelve handbags to go to the cs.
    Also two pairs of scissors.
    One luggage label: out too.
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 16-09-2018 at 8:21 AM.
    NSD September 14/26
    • pixielottie
    • By pixielottie 16th Sep 18, 11:36 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    pixielottie
    I think I've accidentally decluttered something that's not clutter

I'm an artist and every now and then I have something that I think oh this would make a good social media post, so I set the scene and take photos early. Well I used this grey and mustard throw for my back drop in a rush because it was my sisters birthday and involved a kitkat we wanted to eat and I vaguely remember now dropping it on the pile of charity shop stuff when I was done...

I took the stuff to the charity shop...

I can't find my throw It was nothing special, just an ikea jobby, but I liked it

Anyway totally counting it as an item if I don't find it!! I'm secretly hoping I will, that I moved it somewhere else, but I don't remember doing it if I did.

Anyone else accidentally decluttered none clutter?
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
    • Rose Crow
    • By Rose Crow 16th Sep 18, 3:49 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Rose Crow
    Had another busy one. Continued in the bedroom and cleared out 2 bedside drawer cabinets. We have just taken chest of drawers to the recycling centre due to the space created by getting rid of so many clothes plus the bits from the bedside drawers. The bedroom looks so much better just by getting rid of one piece of furniture!

146. Chest of drawers

In CS box
    147-151. Ornaments / decor
    152-164. Excess glasses

To recycling
    165-169. Old / chipped mugs
    170-174. Mismatched glasses

175-179. OH belts (he's a belt hoarder!)
    Last edited by Rose Crow; 16-09-2018 at 5:56 PM.
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 16th Sep 18, 4:52 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Rootle
    38/52 - I tidied through my jewellery box and about 5% was binned as broken or had lost a partner, 45% donated to CS, leaving 50% tidied and neatly put back
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 16th Sep 18, 6:20 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    Evening All

Had a sort out of my handbag ready for the working week. Various receipts in the bin and all tidy now. Been decluttering hair and fluff off the carpets and cobwebs off the ceiling with the vacuum cleaner. I obviously have a thriving spider community .

I need to declutter my eyebrows a bit or I'll struggle with wind resistance on the walk to work tomorrow.

I also managed to get to Aldi to stock up on their face cream. I love it and it's such good value. Was reminded why I do my main food shop online! It was crazy busy.

I'm going to have a cuppa, then find a hot spot to sort. It will no doubt involve paperwork .

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 16th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    bit by bit
    I can't find when I last posted. I have been busy busy busy, mostly with moving stuff around the house to cope with a downstairs remodel and accomodate my nephew and get my DD back to uni.

I decluttered her and a hundred bags of stuff ( I think) this week . I am not counting any of it as it will all be back soon enough.

This week I have been given about 12 bags of stuff for the CS where I have started working. I took four bags in today after sorting. I have hung onto a few things that are more summer orientated and they don't want right now. The rest will go over the next few weeks.

DD has left a binliner of clothes which will also need sorting but I will do that in the week. There is a skip at work that I can put them in which raises money for the hospital. I should take a bag a day really as I pass it every day.

I have also taken a bag of books to work and will be taking another bag this week. I think I am up to about 45 bags with that.

I am amazed at how much stuff people are getting rid of on here. Had a discussion at my reading group last night and everyone agreed that they had too much stuff. One's mother had been a hoarder and had a bungalow stacked to the ceiling in all the rooms, including two bedrooms and the loft. My friend has take two years to clear it and lots of it has just been thrown in the skip, including every pillow that they ever bought.

Moving furniture out and developing proper places for storage is definitely making my home feel clearer and I like it. Unfortunately every time there is a space someone wants to fill it.

One of my main issues about getting rid of stuff is that I want it to go to the best place where it will be used rather than thrown. I am hanging onto the shorts because they would end up in the ragbag because they are out of season, which I find a shame. Fortunately there are plenty of places and ways to recycle and reuse now.

Working at the CS sorting through other people's stuff is also having an effect. I know what happens to it there, they are very good at not chucking stuff unnecesarily and they have a plan for most things so I expect an acceleration in decluttering as we head off into winter.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 30 months to go.
    MFW 2018 #164 £858.51/£3200. Make 2018 in 2018 #30 £1234.53/£2018
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 45/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Sep 18, 3:40 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

Lots of busy declutterers today

Fiasco55, 150 items out - that is an impressive daily total & by the way you are almost halfway through your 2nd lot of 2018 in 2018 An amazing total - Well Done

Happy Kitties, you are decluttering - lots of tea

marmiterules, decluttering bags to the cs is still decluttering I have 2 bags to take down but am getting disheartened that the cs is quite often closed when I try to deliver Plus you did well today

villagelife, I still havenít worked out which one I am - think I need a list

pixielottie, If you donít find it I can foresee a trip to the cs Have been very lucky so far as I havenít decluttered any non clutter - I donít think - touch wood

Rose Crow, well done on decluttering a large piece of furniture Instant space & you should give yourself a big pat on the back for doing the decluttering that led to the CoD being released into the Wild

Rootle - 50% of your jewellery gone Very impressed

Guineapigsqueaks, a decluttered handbag - how I wish . If the wind is blowing in the right direction maybe the eyebrows will act as sails sorry I couldnít resist

bit by bit, 8th September page 62 It sounds like you are really enjoying working in the CS Perhaps before & after photos of your cleared spaces & letting everyone know how happy & relaxed you feel having clear spaces

Today started off a bit overcast but quickly brightened up with clear blue skies & a warm sunshine.
    Met our neighbours at the Chinese restaurant & they treated us to Dim Sum - first time experience for all 3 of us. Absolutely delicious - DH & I enjoyed every dish but DSis found a couple that she was not a fan of. Conversation flowed between the adults but the 3 kids were
    glued to their devices
    Had a nice stroll by the dock, picked up a bit of litter & then we went off in separate directions (the neighbours are having an extension built so are staying somewhere else while the work is being done)

As the weather was so nice DH & I decided to do some work in the garden. So he filled up the table top garden bed - 3 bags of compost mixed with vermiculite and worm cast & I planted out my lavender plant which DH had divided into 4, an sm basil plant, 2 calendula, a mini rose and a rosemary plant. Put a bag of top soil on as well & then watered in. Looks wonderful The flowers will be moved into the garden at a later date - once I have drawn a garden design & decided which herbs to grow Whilst I was doing that, DH sorted out the wormery - blocked tap was leading to smelly worm cast DH also laid the anthracite coloured slabs in a single row in front garden of the shed. If the weather is nice tomorrow we will lay the decorative gravel. We also found all the garden tools & relocated them into the shed.

Meanwhile DSis was busy doing nothing except catching up on her TV programmes and caught up on some sleep

Re my three mantras: aired & made bed; washed up; worktops washed down; sugar bowl refilled; general tidying

The garden work & the day to day decluttering generated

C845 - C867 Non recyclable - coffee tin filled with plastic tray & packaging, 3 plastic bags, plastic tub & lid; 6 large plastic bags (emptied of gravel, compost or top soil), 5 plastic garden pots, old washing line, water damaged plant fleece, plastic tub & lid, rusty tin, ruined pair of garden gloves, water logged cardboard packaging - binned
    C868 - C869 Tin can, milk carton - Rinsed & recycled
    C870 - C878 Three cardboard boxes broken down, toilet roll tube, 3 lots of cardboard packaging, large egg carton, paper packaging - recycled

Tomorrow need to make phone calls, sort a bit of paperwork, menu plan & do some housework incl a couple of loads in the wm. Then either finish the wall unit cubbyholes & drawers or find a new mini project.

May your decluttering mojo continue to be strong

MrsSD
    C878/C2018
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 17th Sep 18, 5:55 AM
    • 7,705 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    pixielottie how annoying.I don't think I've done that before...

I think I'll go through the filling cabinet today and do a paper declutter.I foresee a lot of shredding.
    NSD September 14/26
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Sep 18, 6:26 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    villagelife
    Spent time in the garden and

1139-1140 bags of assorted rubbish binned.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Sep 18, 12:36 PM
    • 26,115 Posts
    • 106,686 Thanks
    candygirl
    Have come to a bit of a halt over the weekend, as my pain's quite bad at the mo.Have decluttered a CJ off Eggheads autobiography to Mum.It's a good juicy read
    Will try n do a bit more today, if the naughty staffies will let me
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th Sep 18, 1:14 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    While I remember.....

*277 DDs flippers sold on eBay!!!!
    *278 box and packaging for the above
    *279 sticker sheet used up and completely finished off

still decluttering the tea
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Rose Crow
    • By Rose Crow 17th Sep 18, 4:36 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Rose Crow
    Oh Mrs SD I'm so happy to lose that item of furniture, it's made a huge difference and I'm in love with our bedroom now

Good news, my local Sue Ryder charity shop is more than happy to take the crutches. I asked when I spotted a walking frame for sale and they said they sell crutches quite readily so I'll drop those down next week. Also found another charity shop that takes electricals (some cs don't like electricals as they can't test them). She's more than happy to take my iron and ironing board (we don't iron a think in our house, OH shirts are all non-iron, we just hang them up to dry and they look great). I'll also drop my hairdryer there as well since I never use it.

180-192. Books sold to Music Magpie
    193-202. Books donated to cs
    203-206. Certificates taken off the wall (no longer relevant)\
    Last edited by Rose Crow; 17-09-2018 at 4:38 PM.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th Sep 18, 3:46 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

marmiterules, I hope you didnít tire out your shredder

villagelife, nice tidy garden? Or still a work in progress?

candygirl, hope the pain eases soon or better yet declutter itself

Happy Kitties, steady progress & nice to earn a bit of money & glad you are still decluttering tea I am decluttering peppermint tea at the moment

Rose Crow, congrats re the crutches You persevered & now have a desirable result I know BHF take small electricals but they are a large CS. Well done on keeping stuff moving out. Any more large pieces of furniture to get shot of

Today was a bright, sunny & warm day but very breezy - a perfect drying day So 3 loads washed, dried, folded & put away. However I have half a dozen items to do minor repairs on

As the weather was so nice DH & I continued working in the garden. DH has filled the hole by one side of the shed & started sieving the soil that was dug up to lay the shed base. He also went skip diving for more wood as I have requested that he build me another table top garden bed DH & DSis Then removed all the nails, screws etc & stacked in garage

DH & DSis went shopping for more compost, some bark & a couple more slabs. Plus bought me two presents - a new watering can - bright red & 2 trays of various coloured heathers now I just have to decide where to plant them
    Whilst they were out I cleaned the kitchen windows inside & out, wiped down all the stainless steel with the appropriate wipes.
    Chased the council re my missing Recycling wheelie bin, phoned the bank, sorted some paperwork, wrote the last of the birthday cards for December & January & did a teeny amount of shredding

Re my three mantras: aired & made bed; washed up; worktops washed down; watered plants; general tidying

The garden work & the day to day decluttering generated

C879 - C886 Non recyclable - 4 plastic bags, plastic pot & lid, 3 plastic trays & packaging - binned
    C887 - C894 Three tin cans, two milk cartons, glass bottle, 2 tin cans & lids - Rinsed & recycled
    C895 Cardboard packaging - recycled

Started my menu plan but no housework done Tomorrow I need to finish my menu plan, post some cards, do a cs drop off & a small shop. If the weather is nice will continue working in the garden.

May your decluttering mojo continue to be strong

MrsSD
    C895/C2018
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 18th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 10,972 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Havenít read the last few updates yet. Just a quick post from me as two things were decluttered yesterday:

RHS 2016 handbook
    DVD box set

Thanks for the clutterbug quiz, Iím a cricket, my dad is a Bee, my sister a Butterfly and my Mum another cricket. I live with my boyfriend, must get him to do it too.

Have a good day everyone!
    Save 12K in 2018 #12 - £7,075/£12,000 58.9%
    AFDs 2018 60/150 September 8/10 40%
    2018 No clutter to be seen - 26/630 4.2%
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 18th Sep 18, 11:58 AM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    WannaBF I'm a cricket aswell!

*280-284 finally DD has taken a big bag of more towels, food and goodies to her bestie for the charity she volunteers at. So happy, even though for a very good cause it was continually getting moved around the living room and I'm trying to empty it ready for decorating

I am determined to hit 500 by Christmas and hopefully I can keep decluttering bit by bit each day.

MrsSD I still wish I had half of ur OHs energy!!
    Last edited by Happy Kitties; Yesterday at 11:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 18th Sep 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7,705 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    I never managed any shredding yesterday but have done some today.

Otherwise I've been to the recycling centre with some cane supports and my abdo exercise thingy that I no longer use and to the cs with the twelve handbags.I am currently doing the ironing,having done the washing this morning.Plan to put the washing away...then maybe sort out the paperwork piled on the sofa.

Happy Tuesday everyone!
    NSD September 14/26
    • edwink
    • By edwink 18th Sep 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 13,106 Thanks
    edwink
    Hello I'm still here, just!!
    It has been one thing after another here so I haven't been posting for a bit.

Had a poorly Cockerel who is now better, bless him. Had funeral to attend with a 6 hour drive away so went the day before and came back the day after. Then was away last week for a short stay in a beautiful Shepherds Hut in the middle of a field in Wilshire. Was a lovely restful/peaceful break which was self sufficient and off grid living at its best. Now I have 2 really old slowing down hens which I am having to keep an extra eye on. One of them hasn't wanted to get out of bed this past 2 days

Anyway I have been doing some decluttering as I have been going along so hadn't stopped completely

Well done everyone on all of your decluttering efforts. There have been some pretty high decluttering numbers/totals flying about I've noticed lately

Hugs from me to all those that need one right now (((((HUGS)))))

25 Items from me this time:-

5 Felt tip pens (still more to sort out)
    2 Holey garden gloves (our rule is 5 holes and they are out)
    1 Broken hairband Bin
    3 Magazines to local tea shop - Hoorah I'm so pleased to have found a nice home for them
    1 Hair conditioner UU
    3 Xmas decorations CS
    2 Make up items Neighbour
    1 Broken bracelet Bin
    1 Odd glove??? Bin
    1 Perfume UU
    1 Mist spray UU
    1 Hubbies garden boots BIN (now downgraded his work boots as he has been issued with a new pair)
    1 Broken rusty trowel (more to sort still) Treated myself to 2 new ones
    1 My old, old, old garden Crocs BIN (Got a new pair from Carboot sale)
    1 Old, old, old holey garden top BIN

Edwink
    890 + 25 = 915
    Last edited by edwink; Yesterday at 6:15 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,147Posts Today

8,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin