Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 1,084Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
Page 65
    • Molillie
    • By Molillie 13th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Molillie
    Hello all,

so far today I've added a print in a nice frame to charity shop stuff in car, the print has faded a bit, but I thought the frame would be useful to someone.
    More hand-shredding and paper recycling done, including all the post which came today, usually I seem to let this mature first. I don't really need to file a credit card statement showing 0 in all categories.

I'm going to focus on tidying today, and then I have a shopping list for the friend with a broken shoulder. Currently waiting for the return of the tree surgeon, who was going to the chain-saw repair shop first.

He's arrived now, and the mixed load truck is coming tomorrow to take away the remains of the shed, broken bits of fence, and the unwanted contents. Next week it should finally be finished! Can hardly wait.

Popping off to the charity shop now he's installed and has tea and biscuits to carry on with.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Sep 18, 3:44 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Where art thou basketcase? I miss your weightlifting exploits
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 13th Sep 18, 3:51 PM
    • 7,705 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    For the cs:
    29 tops
    2 jackets and one coat.

eta I've taken back one top, but have 35 pairs of socks, a pair of jeans and two pairs of tights to add to the pile.
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 13-09-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    NSD September 14/26
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Sep 18, 6:33 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Close call today. I'd put a book in the charity bag.
    It's a small book of DDs that she used for GCSE (she's at uni now!)
    It was on Amazon over a year with no takers so that's why it ended up in the charity bag. All of a sudden found out today it has been sold for far more than I expected. I have an extra study book that goes with it so I will pop that in aswell. Feel they will be put to good use as they will be going to a school and I get to declutter at the same time
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Sep 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    villagelife
    1080-1088 assortment of earrings. Mainly single ones.
    1089 small silk bag
    1090 hair toggle
    1091 screw type thing which had been in with my make up for ages.
    1092- 1098 bits of make-up which I haven't used for ages.
    1099-1100 bits of ribbon.
    1101-1103 sweets that haven't been eaten so binned
    1104 a screw
    1105 lightbulb from Christmas lights
    1106 electrical lead adapter thing.
    1107-1108 a plastic box and lid

Hopefully more tomorrow.
    Last edited by villagelife; 14-09-2018 at 3:06 PM.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Sep 18, 4:50 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

villagelife, well done numbers ticking over very nicely

Molillie, you must be getting excited not only are you decluttering trees, a shed & general garden waste but you are also decluttering biscuits at a rate of knots

marmiterules - tough one to repeat - keep one, get rid of 38 You know that now that is in your mind you will be trying to replicate it

Happy Kitties, well done

Gloriously sunny & warm day, clear blue skies & the start of my day of smiles

Today has been a day of smiles

Managed 190 pieces of litter (bits of plastic, plastic bags, bottles, paper packaging etc) on my walk to the sm - all binned. Stops it blowing into the dock & harming the wildlife
    The crested grebes are back & nesting again with their 3 stripey youngsters Also saw mallards, coots, Canada Geese & a single white swan as well as the ubiquitous pigeons & seagulls Had a few slices of bread to feed them - the Canada geese are quite scary as they keep pace along the dockside
    Also got interviewed by 3 very pleasant young ladies - environmental studies - as all 3 are studying to be geography teachers. We parted company - all of us smiling
    Elderly lady thanked me for litter picking - more smiles from me as it is nice to be appreciated
    Sm wasn’t busy - more smiles & didn’t have to queue at checkout - even more smiles. Smiling anyway because the sun is shining

DH & DSis have gone on a Tip run & then off to pick up some decorative slabs.
    While they were out my dear friend phoned - received the condolence card I sent. Chatted about the funeral arrangements - complicated by the fact that burial will be In Jamaica.

Re my three mantras: aired & made bed; washed up; worktops washed down; filled tea bags jar; general tidying

The Tip run & day to day decluttering generated

C674 - C681 Non recyclable - 2 plastic trays & lids, 2 plastic bags, plastic tray & packaging, 2 lots of plastic packaging, offcut of carpet - binned
    C682 - C685 Tin can, milk carton, 2 plastic bottles - Rinsed & recycled
    C686 - C696 Leaflets, brochure, 3 lots of paper packaging, 2 lots of cardboard packaging, 4 cardboard boxes broken down - recycled
    C697 - C702 Broken trolley, bag of electrical bits, box of metal bits, broken hacksaw, 4L used oil, broken flask + other bits already listed - taken to Tip
    May your decluttering mojo continue to be strong

MrsSD
    C702/C2018
    • Rose Crow
    • By Rose Crow 14th Sep 18, 10:07 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Rose Crow
    Morning all,

Glad to see everyone doing so well. Got a day off today so gathering a few more items to go out (will add to this list as I go):

81-82. Old electric shavers
    83. Another old bluetooth speaker
    84. Eggboxes x 4 to neighbour with chickens
    85-86. Worn out duvet sets
    87-90. Misc linen
    91. Badly split wooden chopping board
    92. Unused spray deoderant
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Sep 18, 11:55 AM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    * 272 recycled packaging used by DD
    * 273-275 booksx2 rescued from charity bag as one had sold on Amazon. Sent off today
    *276 recycled packaging for the books

Thought I had better update while I remembered.
    That's amazing MrsSD 190 pieces of litter but a shame that you have to do it in the first place. People are so thoughtless. My uncle is very much into his walking and will do a litter pick sometimes depending on where he is going. I've massive respect for any one who takes the time to look after the environment.......we've only one planet........*now steps off soapbox!*
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Rose Crow
    • By Rose Crow 14th Sep 18, 2:11 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Rose Crow
    How on earth does one get rid of a pair of crutches? They've been hanging around in the cupboard under the stairs for years and are like new. Can't seem to find any charities nearby that want them. Such a waste
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Sep 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    villagelife
    Day off today and have been busy.

1109 an odd sock.
    1110-1111 shampoo and moisturiser sample used up and binned.
    1112-1113 mugs to charity shop
    1114-1116 printer ink cartridges to cs
    1117 pack of coloured envelopes
    1118-1122 packs of writing paper
    1123-1133 gift tags
    1134-1135 bags all to cs.

Also tidied the house. Need to do a bit more then start on the garden.
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 14th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Rose Crow, try your local hospital Physiotherapy dept. I was given some when I broke a leg and had to return them as they were NHS property. Of course, that was some time ago .Best not to keep them as it might tempt fate.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Sep 18, 5:59 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

Well done Rose Crow your numbers are moving along nicely

Happy Kitties, steady progress, well done Did enjoy the ‘soap box’ but you are right - we only have one planet & you’d think people would do their little bit what is especially galling is that there are plenty of bins so ‘these litterbugs’ have no excuse

villagelife, well done on the numbers plus tidying Please do not overdo it - better to go slowly & stay healthy especially if you garden tidying to do

Overcast, grey showery day DH made me a lovely cup of tea, then I had a nice bath in preparation for my mammogram - even remembered not to use body lotion or deodorant
    DH took me to the hospital on the motorbike - arrived 13:35 for a 13:54 appointment but was actually back outside by 13:54

After a cup of coffee, we did a 10 minute sort out of garden products & then DH did a Tip run. I was going to resume the photo sort out but DH requested ‘supervision’ in his garage tidying So helped out & started moving gardening tools etc to my new shed. The lo rubber flooring (from the shed) is now on the garage floor - waste not want not Home cooked fish’n’chips for dinner.

Re my three mantras: aired & made bed; washed up; worktops washed down; filled tea bags jar, coffee & sugar jars & sugar bowl; general tidying

The Tip run, garden & garage tidy up & the day to day decluttering generated

C703 - C751 Non recyclable - 4 plastic bags, plastic pot & lid, coffee tin filled with kitchen rubbish, black bin bag filled with about 40 bits of toot from garage plus a plastic bag dispenser thingy, used sponge scourer - binned
    C752 - C754 Tin can, 2 milk cartons - Rinsed & recycled
    C755 - C768 Leaflets, brochure, cardboard packaging, 7 cardboard boxes broken down, 3 magazines, toilet roll tube - recycled
    C769 - C784 Ten bits of gardening toot, 6 bits of metal from garage - to Tip

C785 Boxed ‘engine timing kit’ to be listed

MrsSD
    C785/C2018
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Sep 18, 7:21 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    villagelife
    Thanks for the encouragement and concern Mrs SD.
    Yesterday DH had a delivery of stuff for work which he stored at home, well I managed to put everything in the cupboard under the stairs to store it. In the past we have lived with boxes in the hall. A big achievement from all the work.

1136-1137 cracked mugs in the bin.
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 15th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    Morning All.
    I've not started yet today and am sat drinking multiple cuppas. Busy week at work so need not to go at everything at 100 miles an hour this weekend! Here's an amusing distraction I found, some might already have done it:
    http://clutterbug.me/what-clutterbug-are-you-test
    I'm a Cricket and need to remember that progress today is better than perfection tomorrow :-). It was quite an accurate description of me to be fair.
    Hope to report some progress later.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 15th Sep 18, 2:26 PM
    • 7,705 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Morning All.
    I've not started yet today and am sat drinking multiple cuppas. Busy week at work so need not to go at everything at 100 miles an hour this weekend! Here's an amusing distraction I found, some might already have done it:
    http://clutterbug.me/what-clutterbug-are-you-test
    I'm a Cricket and need to remember that progress today is better than perfection tomorrow :-). It was quite an accurate description of me to be fair.
    Hope to report some progress later.
    Guineapigsqueaks x
    Originally posted by Guineapigsqueaks
    I think I'm a cricket too.
    NSD September 14/26
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
    • Rose Crow
    • By Rose Crow 15th Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Rose Crow
    retiredinfrance - Unfortuantely from what I've heard NHS won't reuse crutches etc. so if you hand them back they go in landfill

OH and I are having a huge clothing clear-a-thon today. Luckily he's 100% on board with the decluttering. So far we're up to 6 big bags of clothes (divided into CS good quality stuff and worn out stuff). It's amazing when you start digging this stuff out. We have obviously been very good at hiding it.

93-98. Bags of clothing
    99. Unused hair straighteners
    100-115. Plastic hangers (due to the amount of clothes got rid of we can use our wooden hangers only)
    116-129. Books sold to MusicMagpie
    130-145. Another 15 hangers (!)
    Last edited by Rose Crow; 15-09-2018 at 7:05 PM.
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 15th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Oh dear, Rose. That is so wasteful. Somebody somewhere must need them. Here in France, you have to buy them, but there is some reimbursement.This is where we couls start a new thread called, "New uses for used crutches."
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Sep 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

villagelife being able to see the fruits of your decluttering labours - WELL DONE

Guineapigsqueaks, found it difficult to pick one I will read fully tonight but suspect I will probably be a mixture of all four

Rose Crow - SIX big bags of clothes Don’t forget that the cs will probably take the hangers as well Isn’t it gratifying when OH is fully on board makes it so much easier to declutter

retiredinfrance, one use for crutches - use them in the garden , put a lattice of garden string between them to form a trellis for climbing plants

Today was a mixed bag weather wise - but no rain - so a bit upset with myself that I didn’t take the opportunity to do a wash load
    Instead, I finished semi sorting the last shoe box of photos. I didn’t throw away as many photos as I was expecting so I must have culled them quite well when I put them in the boxes The boxes are now stored in the wall unit.
    I finally started on the wall unit decluttering & tidying. There are 32 cubbyholes - 10 were OK but I did remove 6 crystal tumbler glasses from one cubbyhole - which have been washed & dried & set aside to be wrapped up for cs. 19 of the remaining 22 cubbyholes have been culled, rearranged & tidied. Several bits for the cs - so some of the cubbyholes are quite bare Of the remaining 3 two have DSis’s stuff in them - I am hoping she will have a tidy but I am not holding my breath The last cubbyhole will be sorted tomorrow & I may even sort the 8 drawers again Bonus find - my shoe box of XMas cards

DH was busy in the garage again - trying to repair one of his motorbikes & trying to dispose of more clutter. Plus he is making dinner tonight - cheesey pasta - yummy

DSis was busy doing nothing except catching up on her TV programmes

Re my three mantras: aired & made bed; washed up; worktops washed down; general tidying

The Wall Unit tidy & the day to day decluttering generated

C786 - C806 Non recyclable - 5 plastic bags, plastic tray & netting, plastic tray & packaging, 6 lots of plastic packaging, 8 lots of 10 photos - binned
    C807 - C808 Tin can, milk carton - Rinsed & recycled
    C809 - C818 Three lots of leaflets, 7 more cardboard boxes broken down - recycled
    C819 - C840 Three paperbacks, 9”x7” photo frame, 6”x4” photo frame, small cardboard photo frame, 3 old Lord of the Rings calendars (for crafting), unused Scrapbook, old style photo album with 2 boxes of photo corners, A4 Book/folder of transparent sleeves, 6 crystal glass tumblers (present from Cricket Team for doing the scoring but never used ), boxed & ribboned 2 book set of Confectionary & Desserts Recipes, still boxed Sandalwood candle in a glass - in CS bag
    C841 - C844 DVD box set of series 10 Supernatural to DSis + Boxed set of Indiana Jones & 2 DVDs to DSis for sale

All in all I am feeling quite chuffed

MrsSD
    C844/C2018
    • Flying By
    • By Flying By 15th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Flying By
    I'm a cricket, too! Seems to be a bit of a theme going on here! I'm sure I should be a butterfly or pondskater
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 15th Sep 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 15,350 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    Back into it all this weekend.

2870-2882. Shoes donated to cs
    2883-2893. Done in shoes chucked
    2894-2971. Clothes donated to cs
    2972-2974. Kitchen equipment donated to cs
    2975-2979. Handbags donated to cs
    2980-2982. Handbags chucked
    2983. Cushion donated to cs
    2984. Tray donated to cs
    2985-2990. Opened beauty products chucked that I will never use again
    2991-2992. Bedding donated
    2993. Returned pair of shoes
    2994. Returned top
    2995-2999. Birthday gifts posted
    3000. Birthday card from stash
    3001-3008. Boxes recycled
    3008-3012. Cleaning products used up
    3013-3019. Items donated to food bank
    3020. Cookery book donated
    Last edited by Fiasco55; 15-09-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items
    2018 3060 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,169Posts Today

8,924Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin