Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 1,074Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
Page 54
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 9th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Saver-upper, marmiterules, Happy Kitties & bit by bit - well done all of you nice to keep things ticking over MrsSD C4/C2018
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    To be honest Mrs SD It helps that you and others on the thread are so encouraging. I love coming back most days to see what everyone has been up to.

Today I left a book in a waiting area at work but need to take a bag full in tomorrrow.
    Did more clearing in DS 2's room but didn't manage to get started on the photos yesterday.

Tomorrow I am taking a load of sponsorship money to the bank (£1540 for Breast Cancer Charities after doing the Moonwalk) Its late in as I did the walk in May. Some people were really slow at getting it to me.

Another weight off my mind.

In the next few weeks I am going to have to up my clearing as the builder wants to start at the end of August. Hope to be sorted in the essential areas by then.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 30 months to go.
    MFW 2018 #164 £758.51/£3200. Make 2018 in 2018 #30 £855.27/£2018
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 36/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Aug 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 12,953 Thanks
    edwink
    Tomorrow I am taking a load of sponsorship money to the bank (£1540 for Breast Cancer Charities after doing the Moonwalk) Its late in as I did the walk in May. Some people were really slow at getting it to me.
    Originally posted by bit by bit

WOW!! Well done bit by bit on raising so much money doing the Moonwalk. That is absolutely excellent and a fantastic achievement

Edwink x x x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Well done bit by bit What an impressive total

MrsSD
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 10th Aug 18, 1:59 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 13,581 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Saver -upper what does SPC stand for in your sig please?
    Originally posted by marmiterulesok

Hi marmiterules.
    It is the Sealed Pot Challenge.Get a pot from the pound shop :
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sealed+tin+money+box&newwindow=1&client=f irefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil5J-FpeHcAhVsD8AKHaq7DRAQ_AUICygC&biw=1150&bih=613

(or make one,maybe out of an old jar on tin etc,but make sure you tape it so you aren't tempted to raid it),and fill it with any loose change/notes that you have saved,eg by deciding not to have that coffee and cake when you are out/money leftover at the end of the month/money saved while shopping,extra overtime money,roadkill,etc.The challenge has been going for 11 years.We open our pots in early November.Alot of people use the challenge to help with the cost of Christmas.Others save for holidays,weddings,etc.I have been saving it all (4 years worth) as a sort of emergency fund.And the best part is you hardly miss the money as you pot,but by the end of a year,you realise how much it all adds up.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5738150

Today I tidied,dusted,swept our bedroom (mine and partner).He is a hoarder,and has already filled a garage and 2 sheds,and alot of his parent's house,with his hoard.I have to work to stop it creeping into the rest of the house,especially our bedroom.
    As part of this,there is an otterman at the end of the bed that I bought a few years ago for my partner to hide some of his mess.He never uses it,but it is still full of stuff .When I was going through it today,I found stuff as random as out -of -date medicinal creams,packets of electrical tape,a jar of peanut butter (),pairs of socks ,a couple of jumpers,bicycle gloves,plasters,cable ties,fathers day cards (that I had put there a few years ago)........
    From sorting it today,I got out of the house:
    1142-1143:2 dried out packets of wet wipes
    1144:out of date,opened tube of Savlon
    1145-1146:2 boxes of prophylactics ,which had an expiry date of 2009

I then made a pile of my random finds for partner to put away in his mancave.So his bicycle gloves,tyre gauge and cable ties will never be found again.
    Last edited by Saver-upper; 10-08-2018 at 2:07 AM.
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Aug 18, 6:39 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 16,150 Thanks
    villagelife
    Still away but a couple of things decluttered

997 another magazine donated
    998 a body wash sample used up
    999 body wash which I never used at home has been used up and binned
    1000 suntan lotion bottle has been used up and recycled as has a
    1001 a bottle of aftersun. Normally these are left a quarter full and taken home!! With other part used bottles

Over 1000 an achievement.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,584 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    bit by bit well done with the Moonwalk, a fantastic amount to raise.

I'm a bit all over the place with my de cluttering. Don't feel I am getting very far, seem to be on a go slow but things are getting sorted, just very slow. Also feel because of bringing items into the house e.g for presents, for DD for uni, it is almost neutralizing the stuff that has gone out if you see what I mean.

My mum is pleased as the girls beanie babies that she has wanted sorting for ages, most have gone and been sent to charity now.
    But to update

*175 eBay item sent
    *176 packaging for the above
    *177 birthday cards from June now in recycling
    *178-179 2 items out of the house in a charity box
    * 180 sticker label sheet finished and binned
    Will keep plodding on
    Last edited by Happy Kitties; 10-08-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Appalling English!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 10th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 34,196 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Thanks Saver-upper I've joined the challenge. :-)

I had to laugh at your post and the ottoman findings
    NSD August 13/20
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    DF 7/7/18
    Savings:106/5000chf
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 10th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 34,196 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Yesterday I took
    3 plant pots
    5 cds
    i cd case
    1 spent battery
    1 plastic mat

to the recycling dump.
    NSD August 13/20
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    DF 7/7/18
    Savings:106/5000chf
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 10th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Well done, Bit By Bit, an amazing total. MrsSD , Sorry to hear about Dsis and after all the work and stress she has gone through to get back to the Uk. And yourself and to all of , we don't have to declutter every day , just go with the flow , it will all still be there for another day. We are declutterers, not speed-declutterers and RL takes priority. I have adopted MrsSD's mantras, well Ive always cleared up the kitchen at night ,basically because I cant stand looking at a mess the next morning. I jave also added Martin's mantras ,Do I need it etc to when I go to my CS.I used them when I was on holiday and saved a lot , so I now add what I don't spend to my Pot . This pot is to be used on my holidays. Today I didn't buy a tiny jar and saved 2 euros and had no cake so another 2 euros , so 4 into the Pot.Also

332 blouse to fabric stash. It has frayed but has a lovely back sides sleeves of pure linen and I might do something with it. Yes, I hear .you all muttering about pigs flying, but I love the colour and well it can always go out sometime later. I am working through the blouses, you see.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 10th Aug 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 13,581 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Thanks Saver-upper I've joined the challenge. :-)

I had to laugh at your post and the ottoman findings
    Originally posted by marmiterulesok

I am really pleased you joined the challenge.Unfortunately the thread is a bit quiet lately,but it is a lovely friendly thread,lots of banter (did used to be more).Our fearless leader,Sue,has been unwell for a while,and I think that has had an effect,but it is still lovely.

I thought my finds might give people a giggle
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Molillie
    • By Molillie 11th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Molillie
    Hello, everyone, have been very slow lately, but keeping going whenever the mood hits. I plan to try and carve out a little bit of time every day to do some decluttering, as this seems to work for me in other things - I've been measuring my walks for a few days after finding that I already had a step-counter on my new phone and I have a very long streak on my language-learning app.
    I think I'll try Pick Up Limes (youtube) 30 day plan starting from today, with a bit of additional getting rid of other things if I come accross them, which is what I'm already doing. The first day is cleaning out purses and bags. I shall also aim to get rid of most of the handbags I never really use. I have a friend who has masses, but changes them to go with what she's wearing, but I don't do that for ordinary days, so the bags are just taking up space. I'll keep my current main one, and a small cross-body one. and a pretty little evening bag. I think that leaves about three or four to go to charity.
    It's craft club today, so I'll take some supplies I won't use to see whether anyone else can use them, and drop them off at a charity shop if not.
    Enjoy your weekend, everyone.
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 11th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Many thanks edwink, MRs SD, Happy Kitties and retiredinfrance your comments re my fundraising total. I was a bit suprised myself as I expected to raise about £400

Interesting to read about your DH Saver-upper. I am the hoarder in our house and have had great difficulty letting things go. A few days ago I sat deciding whether I should let an old camping chair bag go. It was worn, torn and faded and yet I really didn't need it. Yes I could think of a few uses for it but did I really want it in my life? Anyway it went in the bin bag and out the door to the wheelie bin. It is a waste of life to sit there pondering over such little things, yet I can't help myself.

Mind you, when I first met the inlaws I helped clear out a kitchen cupboard. On the top shelf were opened pots of stuff that were 20 years out of date. I had no trouble throwing their stuff,

Anyway, I am better than I used to be, but need to move stuff on a lot faster.

Don't worry about losing your mojo guys, it will come back. We all need a rest from things and I for one find getting rid of stuff and emotional as well as a physical thing, so I get tired doing it.

My thought follow this sort of train of thought (excuses).

Could this item be used for something else, it is too expensive to just give away, it was from someone who is special to me, it's too pretty or in good condition to let go. It needs to got ot the right place (esp books). It can't be recycled what am I going to do?

In this way some things have been with me since I left home 35 years ago, following me from house to house but never been used. A very physical haunting.

Wow, that is the first time I realised that. I think I amgoing to do the label it and date it with all my stuff, if it hasn't been used in a year then it is going. (ESP clothes)
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 30 months to go.
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 36/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 11th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    Hello everyone! This is a lovely thread, and I love to constantly clean, tidy, organise and declutter...I've been a long time lurker as I really enjoy hearing what others are up to in these areas too.

The last page of posts made me have to post and join in with your fun and efforts - your impressive charitable efforts, laugh out loud moments and even someone referring to Pick Up Limes on YouTube (a channel I enjoy following) all made me realise what nice place to post it is.

I'm a teacher, so August is a key month for me clearing, cleaning and prepping for the new academic year for me and the kids, as well as making sure we can get to the end of October in terms of organisation, freezer meals etc. This morning I'm off to clear each little wardrobe before doing a new uniform sweep for ds. Dd is all sorted for uniform thanks to a morning shopping together and a £7 off uniform voucher from Mr T. Hubby should be home after lunch and then we're re-jigging the garage as we recently had some building work done and this meant we cleared a space for tools etc. to be stored and we can get everything back to normal now.

Keep up the hard work everyone and thank you for the inspiration.
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 11th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Rootle
    31/52 - a large pile of assorted stuff sorted through. Most items found a more sensible home but an iPad case binned and a bunch of papers recycled (and a few spiders, both dead and alive, decluttered).

Result - extra floor space that I've not seen in a long time!
    • tboo
    • By tboo 11th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    tboo
    119 - 149) books from the 8 year olds bookcase that are way too young for her - to CS

150 - 165) I have also culled her soft toy collection so it now fits in 2 large tubs - to CS
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,584 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    [QUOTE=retiredinfrance;74644258]And yourself and to all of , we don't have to declutter every day , just go with the flow , it will all still be there for another day. We are declutterers, not speed-declutterers and RL takes priority. I have adopted MrsSD's mantras, well Ive always cleared up the kitchen at night ,basically because I cant stand looking at a mess the next morning. I jave also added Martin's mantras

So true, I am being a bit hard on myself that I am not seeing what I have actually achieved. Part of a kitchen worktop that is always covered in clutter is now clear, I've managed to help a charity quite a bit, what has been clutter to me has raised much needed funds for them.

I have also adopted Mrs SD mantras, feels good getting up to a tidy kitchen.
    Getting there slowly and I can declare

*181 A mug returned to my mum's and I found out the story from DD of how it ended up here in
    the first place. If I hadn't have started to declutter, DD would have just left the mug here
    and not returned it so feels like a small win
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

bit by bit, a light bulb moment Don’t you just love it when you have one of those

Rootle, edwink, Saver_upper, villagelife, Molillie & tboo - all of you are ticking along very nicely & I am trying to draw inspiration from all of you

Welcome dingdongsaving Glad you have popped out of lurking Not sure I will ever make it into the ‘love to clean, tidy, organise & declutter’ club - but I can dream

The last few days of constant rain & chilly weather have led me into a state-of-the-art doing absolutely nothing mood - mantras have fallen by the wayside decluttering has ground to a halt but am I downhearted? wellll, yes just a little bit However I am going to give myself a stern talking to + I may well go back to the start of the thread & read a few pages each day

Re my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along; washed down kitchen work surfaces; sugar bowl, coffee, sugar & teabag jars refilled; indoor bins emptied; general tidying; plus I finished the last book

The day to day decluttering has generated

C28 - C32 Two milk cartons, tin, plastic pot & lid, plastic bottle - rinsed & recycled
    C33 - C34 Newspaper, toilet roll tube - Recycled
    C35 Book read & into cs bag
    C36 - C37 Two large plastic bags binned

I am off to do the washing up & a bit of paperwork/birthday card writing for September & prepping tonight’s dinner - a mushroom risotto with a few peas & bits of chicken thrown in

Will see you all tomorrow - hopefully with a bit more oomph

MrsSD
    C37/C2018
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 11th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    basketcase
    Hi all.

Welcome to all newcomers and congratulations on the huge amounts of stuff being decluttered. Mrs SD !!!8211; on to Cs. Really impressive...

My mojo!!!8217;s got back off its holiday with Mrs SD!!!8217;s mojo, just in time to come with me on mine! DD has a Significant Birthday and we!!!8217;re going to Milan and Venice for a week next week.

I!!!8217;ve been quite busy, what with paperwork etc. I!!!8217;ve been managing to keep the sleep-cleaning (ie Swish n Swipe +1 in the bathroom and kitchen) up to date every day. I!!!8217;ve been devoting a day to washing and ironing because, although I don!!!8217;t mind washing I loathe ironing with a passion (Where's the vomit emoji when you need it?! ). So now I play !!!8216;beat the washing cycle!!!8217; on Fridays.

As far as decluttering goes, I did bag my woollies. I also went through a load of papers and filing !!!8220;waiting to be done!!!8221;, gave some carpet off-cuts to my friend!!!8217;s daughter and sorted a box of craft stuff. So reasonably productive. Fortunately, it all weighs a fair bit !!!8211; in fact, I!!!8217;ve gone past the 75% target!

Here!!!8217;s an updated list:
    Woollies, 18lbs
    Carpets, 20lbs
    Recycling, 2lbs
    More Recycling, 6.5lbs
    Paper, 1.75lbs
    Craft Scissors, 0.5lbs
    Theatre Programmes filed, 5.5lbs
    Jigsaws (Xmas Presents), 4lbs
    Shredding, 0.75lbs
    Instruction Manuals filed, 2lbs
    Folders, 2.75lbs
    2018 Filing (inc filebox I bought months ago ), 14lbs

Totals
    Week!!!8217;s Total 77.75lbs
    Running total 1560.75lbs

Happy decluttering, everybody! Not sure what internet access will be like, but I!!!8217;ll try to keep up with what!!!8217;s going on over the next week or so.
    Last edited by basketcase; 12-08-2018 at 10:15 AM.

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    1560.75/2018 (total now includes pre-thread decluttering)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 16,150 Thanks
    villagelife
    Back from holiday and a couple of items thrown away and didn't make it home.

1002 swimming cosy that had seen better days
    1003 beach dress thrown
    1004 t shirt with hole in it.
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 12th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Welcome dingdongsaving. I love a good clearout but only when I am in the mood

Hi Mrs SD. Yes I love a lightbub moment. I ususally have them when I am writing things down. Writing down what is going on in my head has given me many of these moments and I am grateful each time as it moves me on.

Rootle, I love tha moment when you have done the cleaning and clear and the place looks so much better.

Basketcase, glad your mojo is back. It just needed a holiday

The weather has been very good here, e.g. raining I will be tidying the green house on the allotment but little else therd today. I am freed up to do some clearing and cleaning today though and will be roping in family memebrs to help.

We had the builder round yesterday and he expects to start at the end of August. Good news but the pressure is now on to decide on the kitchen we want, measure it, order it, clear the garage a bit to get house stuff in and complete preps to get the dining area of our lounge sorted which is now to be the kitchen and office

Have a good day everyone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,111Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin