Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 1,077Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
Page 53
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,952 Posts
    • 12,958 Thanks
    edwink
    Well done everyone on your decluttering achievements especially in this barmy hot weather.

cyber hugs (((HUGS))) to those that are in need of one. Life throws allsorts at us at times and a hug does wonders.

MrsSD and Basketcase I don't think you have lost your mojo's.. I just think they are on a "no decluttering holiday". I do think that is allowed especially after the amount of decluttering you have both being achieving lately. So don't beat yourselves up about it and enjoy the hot weather while you can.

Whilst I remember if anyone would like to pop over and say hello on my hen and duck thread (link at bottom of my signature) I would be happy to see you there. I started this thread 3 years ago and gradually more hen keepers joined in but since we have had 2 lots of Bird Flu in the UK it seems as though they have disappeared. Not saying they have lost their hens or anything but I just think it becomes stressful keeping hens when there is a threat of bird flu because it sort of takes the fun out of keeping them with all the worry and having to keep them totally under cover all the time. I know a few of the posters no longer keep hens, some just pop on the thread for a read and just a couple post occasionally. MSE poster Pyxis doesn't keep poultry but has been posting from time to time which is nice bless her! I don't want to close the thread because I know it is and has been so useful to other poultry keepers especially the new owners. Hopefully it will build back up again one day

Anyway enough of my waffle and grovelling here is my little list of goodies going out of the door.

3 Electric fans given to my NEIGHBOUR
    2 Toy owls CS
    15 YES 15 hippy style cloth/material handbags CS Still keeping over 10 though I do love my handbags! I make them out of clothing like jumpers.
    1 Sun hat to CS
    1 Cooling mist spray UU
    1 small bundle of bubble wrap with tape stuck all over it BIN
    1 Leave in hair conditioner UU & REC
    2 Pairs of socks old and holey finally in the bin
    19 clothing items (some new bought from car boot sale) CS

Edwink

770 + 45 = 815
    Last edited by edwink; 07-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 7th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,430 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    All bags and box have been removed this morning I'm assuming it was by the charity collectors, to be honest I don't care they're gone that's all I care about

Just sold a few bits on eBay and Facebook so off to package those up and bring them to the post office this afternoon.

Have to say between this thread and the YouTube videos I'm doing well lol.

Hope everyone else is doing well. It's a lot cooler here than what the rest of you are coping with. Wish we had warmer weather lol
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #57 £1295.47/£3,000
    £1 a day challenge 2018 - £210/ £365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - £350.00/£650

2018 - RULE OF 3 Decluttering challenge - 3,156/1,095 items
    Book challenge 10/20
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 4,594 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Don't think I'm having a run of good luck at the moment.
    I won an award, the first one was sellotaped at the bottom when presented as it had been dropped just before the presentation. Another one was ordered and it arrived yesterday.
    It was quite a big award but a big pack of muffins had other ideas.they fell off the bread bin, shot the award forward straight over kitchen worktop where it smashed so have decided that I think the powers that be are telling me I need to keep the first sellotaped award.

In the meantime as I have been doing bits decluttering carries on

*158-161 3 old instruction booklets-recycling
    *162 old ipad cover-part bin and part in recycling.

Hopefully later on I will have more to add to my total

MrsSD sorry to hear about Dsis health problems. It always tends to be one thing will trigger another or impact on something else with your health giving you secondaries and thirds to deal with . Hopefully Dsis will get the right treatment, sounds like they are keeping a close eye on her.

Have a good decluttering day everyone
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

Thanks for that edwink - trying not to beat myself up but there is still sooo much to do on the decluttering front before we can start to decorate/get work done . By the way well done on keeping your momentum

IrishRose, It is a relief when stuff goes You are doing really well and you should pat yourself on the back

Happy Kitties, thanks for the comments about DSis. DH has just phoned to say that DSisís first hospital appointment for GI investigations/tests is done & dusted - half an hour start to finish Well done NHS DH took her on the motorbike to avoid using public transport. I think she has a couple more hospital visits this month but her cardiac appointment isnít until November

Today is another hot one but I must admit to getting excited when it started to rain Unfortunately it lasted all of two minutes

My decluttering mojo made a brief appearance earlier this afternoon - I emptied the shelves in my wardrobe Unfortunately all that I could get rid of was

B1977 - B1981 A few clothing items that DSis left here when she visited a couple of years ago - put in her room
    B1982 - B1983 Pair of socks & a small towel put in my rag bag
    B1984 An old ill fitting bra binned

The hanging clothes are untouched because I actually did a better job than I thought I had

So my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along; washed down kitchen work surfaces; garden watered; birdies & squirrels water bowls refilled & wormery towel doused; sugar bowl, coffee & teabag jars refilled; sorted otc tablets into date order & combined into fewer packets; indoor bins emptied; general tidying;

The day to day decluttering has generated

B1985 Non recyclable - plastic packaging - binned
    B1986 - B1990 Two milk cartons, 2 tins, plastic pot - rinsed & recycled
    B1991 - B2000 Eight small Cardboard packets, toilet roll tube - Recycled

Getting excited now about starting the C numbers as only 18 more items to go

MrsSD
    B2000/B2018
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Happy Kitties, sorry I forgot to congratulate you on your award!
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 7th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,199 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    A few more books and dvds to go out but I haven't counted them.About 10-15 items.
    NSD August 13/20
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    DF 7/7/18
    Savings:106/5000chf
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 7th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Saver-upper, if you find the secret of getting the others to put their stuff away, please let me know..

Started using my wool stash to crochet a blanket. Some time ago I bought a load of wool off a crafter friend with good intentions. Its all bright orange, green, yellow and red. I had an idea to make all sorts of things but I couldn't find the enthusiasm. This blanket is for me for my knees in winter (I know I sound old but I get cold easily when I am not having a 'tropical moment' ). It consists of just single rows of each colour and looks joyously bright.

I have also started on my Mil's Christmas present. I have got her this years gift so if I don't complete it it will be for Christmas 2019. I am crocheting her a granny blanket but all the squares will be different. It is in white and various shades of blue and should cover her double bed.

On a decluttering note, this week we cleared out the porch. There are 5 of us living here including Sons No 2 and 3. Son No2 has an enormous amount of clothes but not much else. He must have at least 15 coats and half of them were in the porch. We got him to take them up to his room and I need to find hanging space for them. A couple went to the charity shop. DH also got rid of two coats and I got rid of one. I have actually saved two scruffy waterproofs for the car. My emergency bag needed sorting out so that got done.

Back to the clearout. Both 'boys' had loads of shoes. Some of theose were chucked. I threw some nasty trainers. They just about jumped into the wheelie bin

DD has exactly what she needs. I started training her to chuck or donate when she was very small. Nothing of hers needed to go.

The place looks a lot better now. Becasue of sorting my car bag I also cleared out the car.

The best decluttering this week was the freezer though. I haven't done a freezer audit for some time. We have a lot of courgette, fruit, frozen leftover veg and sweet stuff. I have done a menu and all of the food will take us over a week to eat and some will be transferred out. Once cleared the freezer is going out of the house. We have not decided whether to keep it in the garage or just get rid and start with a new under surface freeezer.

Thankys to you Mrs SD I am doing very well with the get it done as you see it thing. Washing is going away faster, spots are being decluttered and piles sorted through. Fab Fab Fab.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 30 months to go.
    MFW 2018 #164 £758.51/£3200. Make 2018 in 2018 #30 £855.27/£2018
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 36/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 7th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 3,248 Posts
    • 36,609 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    11 books CS
    4 tin openers (don't ask!) CS
    1 bottle RC
    2 ice cube trays CS
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Aug 18, 12:09 AM
    • 896 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    You are entirely welcome bit by bit (not sure where I appropriated that particular mantra but I have found it very useful ) and well done - you have been a busy bee today
    By doing a job as I see it, I can keep the living room, kitchen & my bedroom tidy & it is so much easier to keep the rooms clean

Tomorrow I will chase up the CS again as the large items are now like a cloud hanging over me - I just want them gone

Happy decluttering everyone

MrsSD
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 8th Aug 18, 12:23 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 13,581 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Saver-upper, if you find the secret of getting the others to put their stuff away, please let me know..
    Originally posted by bit by bit

bit by bit,I don't think science has made that discovery yet .

I mentioned over a month ago that I sorted out my children's school books in the loft.(I have kept them all for 4 children ).But when I finished that job,there I turned around and there were a few loose books,and a couple of bags of kipple left over.So I have been sorting through those.I also found a £20 never used,but expired gift card ,and £20 worth of Hobbycraft vouchers .
    So,out of the loft today (even though they have been sitting on my lounge-room floor,waiting to be sorted,for over a month ):

Binned:
    79:bottle of glitter glue
    80:Christmassy hair tie
    81:toy mobile phone
    82-84:bottles of kid's nail polish
    all these were found in a little pencil case in my now-11yo daughter's bag of drawings,books and worksheets from 2011

85:pencil case
    86:cloth advent calender that had gone mouldy in storage.
    87:painted christmas decoration
    88:another random Christmas decoration
    89:party bag of stuff

Recycled:

90-93:4 birthday cards to me from 2012 (it was two of these that contained the gift vouchers)
    94:a copy of Australian Women's Weekly Children's arts and Craft book....I am pretty sure I bought the book at a charity shop,and the only thing I ever used it for,was the recipe to make playdough.That was about 15 years ago!
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 8th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,199 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Decluttered and for the cs:
    3 books
    8 tops
    3 jackets
    1 dress
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 4,594 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    More decluttering today but also some more things back from my mum's that were my DDs that I thought had just gone awol. Some of the items I will keep in the space made so far from decluttering and other bits are going into a charity box.

Today I have

*163 returned a plate to my mum-only had it a year but did return it with a meal on it
    *164 cake box returned to friend
    *165-168 brand new cookery book/pens/dog chews( the cats had attacked, they were for charity
    but now for her dogs) given to friend
    *169 gift given to friend
    *170 packaging used up for parcel
    *171-173 items into the parcel
    *174 recyclables out

Many thanks Mrs SD re:my award. I think it was fate telling me that the original sellotaped award was mine to keep and best get decluttering the display cabinet so I can get it in!!!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 8th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Happy Kitties, I love giving stuff back to people. I don't even have to think about where it is going.

Did a small amount of sorting and decluttering in Son No2s room. He was downstairs and it was 1am so I took my opportunity. The room is full of work paperwork, writng stuff, craft stuff, books and now his mountain of clothes. I am doing a bit at a time and it is getting there.

May as well do something when I can't sleep.

Today I am clearing some shelves of boxes of pictures no one ever looks at. Most will go but I will frame a few too. Got a large pile of frames that have just been waiting for agaes.

A huge pat on the back for everyone. Its a minor miracle to be able to keep going in this heat.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 30 months to go.
    MFW 2018 #164 £758.51/£3200. Make 2018 in 2018 #30 £855.27/£2018
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 36/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 9th Aug 18, 12:35 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 13,581 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    This week,in between working anywhere from 3-7 hours each day,having the 4 kids home on holidays,and a bit of decluttering,I have been cleaning a couple of rooms of the house each day.This weekend we are going on hols for a week,and I want to come back to a lovely clean house.When we came back from hols last August,the house was absolutely spotless,and I loved it.Aiming for the same again this year:
    -On Sunday I spent a few hours deep-cleaning the kitchen
    -on Monday and Tuesday the kids decluttered,tidied,dusted,polished and vacuumed their rooms.Mostly. (16yo daughter had not quite finished her room:it needed a very big sort out,because I have not nagged her too much over the last few months,with her doing GSCEs.)
    -Today I deep cleaned 16yo daughter's room: pulled out furniture,dust,polish,vacuum,skirting boards,mirrored wardrobe,window cill,radiator....The other day when she was starting to sort her room,she put a whole lot of revision papers in a bag for recycling.When I bundled it all up to put in the recycling bin,the pile of paper was 7 inches tall .And that is just the stuff she was letting go of,from the last couple of months revision.She has about 20 thousand school books
    -Also deep cleaned 2 bathrooms this afternoon.

Out of the house today:

Binned:
    1128:plastic toy ring
    1129:broken itty bitty book light
    1130:pair of cardboard 3D glasses

Out for recycling:
    1131-1134:3 pairs of shoes and 2 odd shoes
    1135-1141:7 inches deep pile of papers

Binned,from the loft (though found in daughter's bedroom):
    95:Christmas bauble
    Last edited by Saver-upper; 09-08-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Aug 18, 12:43 AM
    • 896 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

Saver-upper, marmiterules, Happy Kitties & bit by bit - well done all of you nice to keep things ticking over

Wednesday was a lot cooler after Tuesday nightís rain - there was some sunshine & plenty of breeze so managed to get three loads of washing dried

DH did some more work on the shed base - using sand to make sure the base is completely level - half done today & the other half to be done tomorrow - I do love watching my DH working He also put up my new whirligig & will finish hammering into the ground tomorrow as I have decided that I am happy with the position

My decluttering mojo is currently only extending to reading the ĎAliení trilogy which once read will be donated to cs

So just my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along; washed down kitchen work surfaces; birdies & squirrels water bowls refilled & wormery towel doused; vacuumed downstairs incl kitchen floor; general tidying;

B2001 - B2002 Non recyclable - 2 plastic bags - binned
    B2003 - B2012 Milk carton, glass jar, 3 tins, 5 takeaway foil trays with cardboard lids - rinsed & recycled
    B2013 - B2018 Toilet roll tube, 2 large plastic bags, 3 lots of cardboard packaging - Recycled

Yippee, now I can start on the ĎCís

Re the items I returned to DSis yesterday

C1 - C2 Pair of jeans & pair of pyjama bottoms into cs bag
    C3 Ruined fleece binned - it was 22 years old

C4 Book read & put in cs bag

MrsSD
    C4/C2018
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 9th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Rootle
    30/52 - 9 items (DVDs, Computer games, CD) traded in for some pennies and used up some packaging for posting.
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 9th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,199 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    I took the clothes to the cs and also decluttered the cans and tins to the recycling.

One bottle of hair conditioner emptied and binned.
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 9th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 34,199 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Saver -upper what does SPC stand for in your sig please?
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Aug 18, 8:10 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

Rootle, marmiterules keep up the good work

Thursday is a washout & chilly to boot but I had to go out to post some urgent birthday cards & letters so decided to do an sm shop as well.

No work done on shed base or whirligig as too wet & DH was invited out by old work colleagues. So bacon sarnies all round at about 4:00 p.m. & then off he went

DSis & I have started watching Series 3 of Blindspot - one episode down 21 to go

My decluttering mojo is still only extending to reading the ĎAliení trilogy and I am now on the third book

So just my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along; washed down kitchen work surfaces; shopping done & put away; general tidying;

C5 - C12 Non recyclable - 2 plastic trays & packaging, plastic bag, plastic box, 4 lots of plastic packaging - binned
    C13 Milk carton - rinsed & recycled
    C14 - C26 Seven newspapers, 5 lots of cardboard packaging - Recycled
    C27 Book read & put in cs bag

MrsSD
    C27/C2018
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,952 Posts
    • 12,958 Thanks
    edwink
    Was raining today so managed to declutter the kitchen with hubby instead of being outside. So pleased it has rained as the water butts are filling up nicely Plus our huge kitchen is on its way to finally being uncluttered.

1 Rhino ornament from neighbour who went on a safari CS
    1 Ornamental duck CS
    1 small rag dolls armchair CS
    1 Book cover REC
    1 Large ornamental hen CS
    2 Salt & pepper pots CS
    1 Ornamental duck with candle in its back CS
    2 Wooden Cockerels CS
    3 Tiny ornamental hens CS
    1 another duck CS
    1 Cockerel wine bottle stopper
    1 Small wooden jewellery box CS
    1 Pellet tin REC
    1 Tatty sponge BIN
    1 small piece of paving slab which came off of front step years ago and we kept for some reason
    1 Chipped cooks nips pot CROCS
    2 Hen egg cups CS
    1 Terracotta wine cooler used for utensils (why we had 3 I don't know) CS
    2 New scarves - unwanted presents CS
    2 Pairs of my 3/4 leg garden trousers BIN
    1 Pair hubbies Garden shorts that he doesn't want another patch sewn on to because they have 11 on them already awww bless him . He is now wearing a pair with 3 patches on instead BIN

Edwink

815 + 28 = 843
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

4,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin