Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 1,074Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
Page 52
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 4th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    No unfortunately but avidly collected dvds over the years...over 1000 of them!
    Originally posted by marmiterulesok
    marmiterules, You were an amateur compared to my DSis She had about 2,000 not to mention 100 or so VHS tapes I reckon she probably disposed of 300 or so before she came to London & has got rid of a few since she has been here but has recently added 5 series of Person of Interest so probably still has more than 1500 I believe my DSis is definitely SABLE with her DVD collection

I on the other hand have donated nearly all my DVDs to the CS except for my Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit trilogy, ALL the Supernatural box sets - have 12 series & waiting for the 13th to be released plus about 20 films. Those will probably be watched one more time & then hopefully I can release them

The weather is still too nice to be worried about decluttering so my decluttering mojo can enjoy its holiday with basketcase’s mojo for at least a few more days

MrsSD
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,584 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Flipping heck decluttering is addictive!!

I am a scrapbooker and card maker, haven't done any crafts for ages and I have a lot of stuff (design of living room factors in extra storage) everywhere in the living room at the minute. Noticed that a local community group has been advertising for any craft bits. Decided that this was a good time that while packing up the living room I could go through some bits to donate. I have loads of things for example when I have done wedding invites and have been left the leftovers, just put about 30 A4 purple cardboard sheets in the craft bag and some items I didn't even know that I had plus items that I've kept 'Just in case' which have been never used in 10 years so they have gone in the bag. Counting the purple cardboard sheets as one 'lot'. Currently up to 32 'lots' so far and want to hit 40 by the end of the day. I'm also slowly putting bits away.
    The living room still looks a mess but I know I have made a small difference.

Going to update my total in week as I also have 'neutral clutter in the house, more beanies coming in and other items for the other charity that are being sent out this week.

However I am claiming
    *16 the Christmas bauble I stepped on and dented-now in the bin. Good job it wasn't a glass one, have no feeling in my foot could of been nasty

edwink I hope you are feeling better, sounds really nasty and I bet it has knocked the stuffing out of you. Sending hugs
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 5th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 34,196 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    marmiterules, You were an amateur compared to my DSis She had about 2,000 not to mention 100 or so VHS tapes I reckon she probably disposed of 300 or so before she came to London & has got rid of a few since she has been here but has recently added 5 series of Person of Interest so probably still has more than 1500 I believe my DSis is definitely SABLE with her DVD collection

I on the other hand have donated nearly all my DVDs to the CS except for my Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit trilogy, ALL the Supernatural box sets - have 12 series & waiting for the 13th to be released plus about 20 films. Those will probably be watched one more time & then hopefully I can release them

The weather is still too nice to be worried about decluttering so my decluttering mojo can enjoy its holiday with basketcase’s mojo for at least a few more days

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I reckon I've got about 600dvds left rn but still need to declutter....
    NSD August 13/20
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    DF 7/7/18
    Savings:106/5000chf
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 5th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,430 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    Hi everyone. Well after catching up with the 30 day bag challenge I vowed to carry it on throughout August as I done so well , I done well the 1st 3 days until Friday afternoon when we had a bit of a shock where a neighbour died very suddenly so we've all been rallying around, and also we're just still in shock as to what has even happened!
    I've been walking around the house in a daze basically saying, right really there's no need off all of this so in my frame of mind my house should be empty quite soon lol.

Realistically though, funeral is on Wednesday/Thursday depending if post-mortem is done tomorrow, we got a charity bag through the door last night and they literally take everything and they're getting collected this week so I'm going to try my best and get as much out as possible into black bags and leave it for them to collect. Saves me money also as it means I don't have to get a taxi into town to bring them to the charity shop.

Before all the fuss on Friday I had been reading a post on this thread about the post brexit thing and one bit about stocking up on food etc. Can't remember exactly what you said, but I remember thinking, that wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Here in N.Ireland we're more focused on the border and TBH I haven't paid much attention to Brexit.
    So I had told myself I'd go and have a read at the Brexit Thread, but that'll have to wait till next weekend, too much happening this week here first.

It's a nice day here, nice and warm...... although if mother nature wants to send me some of the warmer weather from Spain this way I'd appreciate it..... going to open all the windows and doors to let the house "air out"
    Will make a start on getting more black bags filled and might see if I can also get a bit of gardening done i.e pull the weeds out
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #57 £1295.47/£3,000
    £1 a day challenge 2018 - £210/ £365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - £350.00/£650

2018 - RULE OF 3 Decluttering challenge - 3,156/1,095 items
    Book challenge 10/20
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,584 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Not updating yet but have decluttered 130 items/lots of craft items

Hasn't really made a dent but some items/sticker packs I was given by a family member a few years ago which I haven't really used ( some had been donated to charity in the past, there was a lot of stash. Family member thought they were being helpful but most I couldn't use in my scrapbooking as not acid free or designs more children's stickers instead of a proper craft product) will now be used and put to good use by the charity group. Makes me sound ungrateful but some stickers would have destroyed the photos.

I have with some of the space made, been able to pack away some craft products I do use.

Didn't help while I had storage containers out, youngest cat was busy pulling tinsel out of one of the boxes and I found another broken bauble
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

Happy Kitties, well done - I also find decluttering addictive when I have my decluttering mojo The local community group will be very happy with your donation

marmiterules, very impressive Do you have a target in mind?

After last night’s pink sky Saturday was hot, hot, hot DSis & I walked to the park for the Farmers Market. Good job there were only a few stalls as I would have had to mortgage the house otherwise. However I did treat myself to some fresh unpackaged f&v, 3 small jars of honey, salami, some eggs & some bread but resisted the cupcakes My purchases meant no cooking & a very tasty dinner
    Felt quite good on the way home as picked up a plastic bag blowing along the pavement & filled it with litter Why oh why do people think it is OK to throw tin cans, plastic bottles & drinks cartons into the bushes

DH tried C&C again for a different Wic*es re the w/e offer on ornamental gravel. Success He & DSis went & collected 8 bags - reduced in price + 4 for 3 - so instead of £72 he spent £30 - very All the bags are now stacked in the garden while we wait for the new shed

My decluttering mojo is still enjoying its holiday in the company of basketcase’s mojo but I did vacuum downstairs (moved furniture) incl. kitchen floor (remembered to empty the vacuum - surprising how much better it picks up ) & turned the sofa cushions.

Looking forward to hearing from retiredinfrance - hope you are OK?

So just my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along including the last lot of washing up; washed down kitchen work surfaces; garden watered; birdies & squirrels water bowls refilled & wormery towel doused several times; tightened toilet flush handle & also took the opportunity to clean loo ; general tidying;

The day to day decluttering has generated

B1919 - B1928 Non recyclable - 2 plastic trays & packaging, 2 plastic bags, 3 lots of plastic packaging, plastic pot & lid, Plastic box & packaging, broken ice cube tray - All binned
    B1929 - B1931 Two plastic pots, plastic milk carton - rinsed & recycled
    B1932 - B1935 cardboard packaging, 2 magazines & 2 Booklets read - Recycled
    B1936 DH put Broken hair trimmer in Tip pile

MrsSD
    B1936/B2018
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 5th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Rootle
    29/52 - my decluttering mojo is very low at the moment but I thought a small post was better than nothing at all! So a present wrapped and sent which used up a very small amount of lying around packaging.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 5th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 36,597 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Found this thread highly motivating last year. Cant believe we,re august already and the house is becoming cluttered again. SInce it;s 2018have decided to decluttered 18 items every day till end of year. So far
    1) 18 books
    2) 18 mugs (! They are no longer double stacked and overflowing into another cupboard!j
    3) 18 glass items, all washed and recycled. Several decluttered simply by decanting but an embarrassing number a small amount left in a jar out of date
    4) 18 bags (this was between 3 of us)
    Today is going to be Tupperware. See ya later
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 5th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 34,196 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    6 books and 13 dvds to the cs.
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    29/52 - my decluttering mojo is very low at the moment but I thought a small post was better than nothing at all! So a present wrapped and sent which used up a very small amount of lying around packaging.
    Originally posted by Rootle
    Rootle, I think it has gone on holiday with mine & basketcase!!!8217;s mojo I believe they were off to see retiredinfrance
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 5th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 36,597 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    well the tupperware will have to wait but have made good progress in the kitchen. sorted fridge and freezer :-) and decluttered
    13 glass bottles / jars
    2 pieces of wood
    1 dog bed inner that the dogs have been shying all over the place
    1 broken dog jacket, beyond repair
    and finally
    1 tupperware
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

Well done DundeeDoll

Today was another hot one but a bit cooler than yesterday The clear blue was conducive to watching the moon up until 1:00 p.m. when it disappeared

DH & DSis tried to fit some extra lights to the motorbike but had the wrong connectors So all back together but two hours wasted

I am hoping my decluttering mojo & basketcase’s return from their holiday tomorrow as I really want to get on with it now . Cooked a full roast beef dinner today, repaired a burn hole in my oven gloves (but only after burning one finger ) and chatted with my next door neighbour for half an hour - that was the sum total of any endeavours today

So just my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along including the last lot of washing up; washed down kitchen work surfaces; garden watered twice; birdies & squirrels water bowls refilled twice & wormery towel doused several times; indoor bins emptied into appropriate wheelie bins; general tidying;

B1937 - B1943 Non recyclable - 5 plastic bags, 2 lots of plastic packaging - binned
    B1944 - B1953 Two plastic pots, plastic milk carton, glass bottle, plastic bottle, 5 tins - rinsed & recycled
    B1954 - B1957 cardboard packaging, magazine read, paper packaging, small plastic box - Recycled

I really need to set myself some sort of project but am dithering about whether it should be big or small . I know once I have started I will get on with it but but at the moment I am Mrs Dither of Ditherville, Ditherington

Oh well, I am off now to check the calendar for September birthdays - will check my small stash & see if I have cards or whether I need to spend a bit of money

MrsSD
    B1957/B2018
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,584 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone. Well I can finally update my totals as I dropped the items off for the charity this morning. Felt really good, the downside was when I got back to the car the whole of the left side both doors have been really scratched.

However

* 17- 147 craft items 130 lots/pks donated to a local charity group
    *148 batteries to a recycling point
    *149 another broken bauble now in the bin
    *150 plastic bauble packaging now in the recycling
    *151 saline dressing canister in recycling
    *152 plastic packaging to a recycling point
    *153 cardboard box used, found in cupboard
    *154 packaging used for the above
    *155-157 spare charity items x2 in box and sent off

I have also been taking stuff up and putting in away from the dumping point in the kitchen, it's beginning to look so much better

irishrose sorry to hear about ur neighbour, it does put things into perspective
    Mrs SD I do love a good farmers market! Could also spend a fortune

No doubt more decluttering over the next few days as I continue to pack away the living room......well i just hope I keep my mojo and it doesn't disappear on holiday!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Happy Kitties; 06-08-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 6th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    • 7,571 Posts
    • 34,196 Thanks
    marmiterulesok

marmiterules, very impressive Do you have a target in mind?
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Not really.I just have too much stuff....
    NSD August 13/20
    DF 7/7/18
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 6th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Hello everyone and a very warm welcome(36 degrees here) to all our new decluttering friends. Mrs SD, you are such a kind person, asking after me. I have been on holiday to the sunny UK and now back home. Two things , one I was amazed at how tudy the house was while being looked after by DH and I put it all down to decluttering -just not so much stuff about. Secondly I resisted the usual holiday urge to buy, well, more stuff. All those souvenir shops....not to mention the CS and the final reductions in the sales. I was in Scotland with DS and I made an effort not to collect leaflets that I will never look at again. However, I decluttered lots of cash, sad to say, but lots of lovely memories.

Off I go again...
    323 scarf to CS
    324,325,nightdresses to CS
    326-329 pillowcases to CS
    330 books to CS
    331 samples used up while on hols.

New system. I go into walkin hotpress and pick a pile.Look through , declutter and tidy.

I was amazed at the activity of everyone while I was away and didn't want to use up my IT allowance.
    Well done, everyone.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Welcome back retiredinfrance - it is lovely to see you again So not only are you decluttering but you are pre-decluttering by not bringing extra ‘stuff’ into your home Fortunately I dislike shopping so much (except for Farmers Markets ) that I never realise sales are on so am never tempted Glad you enjoyed your hols & seeing your DS

Mine & basketcase’s mojos weren’t with you then

Happy Kitties - well done on the cs delivery but your poor car There are some very ‘inconsiderate’ (I would use stronger language but .......) people about - but I firmly believe what goes around comes around even if we don’t get to see it

Happy decluttering everyone

MrsSD
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 6th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 36,597 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    dd1 and i did the tupperware and (drum roll)
    16 with lids to the cs
    2 to the plastic recycle
    which means day 6 108 items gone
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 6th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,430 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    Well been a busy day here. 4 black bags and a box all brought downstairs ready to be put out the front later on befire I go to bed for the charity bag collectors coming round tomorrow. I just hope they keep their word and turn up. If not I'll be getting a taxi to the charity shop tomorrow lol.

Been a funny few days here, not the usual routine but funeral the day after tomorrow so not much going to be happening for the rest of this week . Bit I'm happy enough that the bags and box will be gone. I did make an attempt to count the items but lost count at arround 360 so I gave up!!!128514; more important things going on than counting that lol.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #57 £1295.47/£3,000
    £1 a day challenge 2018 - £210/ £365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - £350.00/£650

2018 - RULE OF 3 Decluttering challenge - 3,156/1,095 items
    Book challenge 10/20
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 6th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 13,581 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    It has been a month since I posted .After 18 months,I think I have lost a bit of my decluttering mojo at home .Am still doing it as part of my business,though.Being paid to help people declutter is very .Then when I get home,it is a bit like a busman's holiday.Fortunately,I am not sure I have that much to get rid of around the house.I just wish I could train my famly to tidy up after themselves .It is when things are not replaced to where they belong that the house gets in a muddle.
    A few things out of the house over the last couple of weeks:

To the tip:
    1120:light timer switch adaptor thingy (the technical term )
    1121-1122:2 kid's buckets from the backyard
    1123:electronic money box
    1124:remote control helicopter

Donated:
    1125:clothes airer that hangs on radiator,but as soon as I got it home,about 2 years ago,I found it was too wide for our radiator

Binned:
    1126:pencil case with a couple of marking pens in it

Recycled:
    1127:bundles of papers

A few things out of the loft (binned):
    71-72:2 very old Christmas chains made by my kids
    73:hand made Christmas star,made of foam
    74:pages of stickers
    75:random Christmas decoration

Out of the loft (donated):
    76-78:3 plastic boxes and lids,given to a customer of mine
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Aug 18, 2:31 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

DundeeDoll, well done - keep it up

IrishRose, that is an impressive haul

Saver-upper, how about an ultimatum to the family - if they don’t tidy up after themselves you will donate/bin/recycle any & all items not put away it might concentrate their minds

Today was another hot one - so hot in fact that I had to admit defeat & go indoors for an hour or so The clear blue sky was conducive to watching the moon again - until 2:00 p.m. when it disappeared

DSis had a Drs appointment to discuss her blood test results - transpires that together with her down below & heart problems she is also pre-diabetic & needs liver function tests She is the youngest of three & seems to have inherited all the health problems except for bad eyesight which my DB & I have

DH laid half of the concrete slabs on the shed base before the heat wiped him out

Still no sign of my decluttering mojo & it transpires it was NOT visiting retiredinfrance Today I managed to finish reading two books which are now in the cs bag and emptied the fridge of leftovers which were used to make tonight’s dinners

So just my three mantras - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along including the last lot of washing up; washed down kitchen work surfaces; garden watered; birdies & squirrels water bowls refilled & wormery towel doused several times; general tidying;

B1958 Non recyclable - plastic packaging - binned
    B1959 - B1965 Two plastic bottles, 5 tins - rinsed & recycled
    B1966 - B1968 Newspaper read, leaflets, small plastic box - Recycled
    B1969 - B1973 Three books, 2 DVDs in CS bag
    B1974 - B1976 Three cards from my stash

Still dithering about a project but maybe tomorrow & although I did check the calendar for September birthdays I didn’t check my small stash re suitable cards So am doing that now & yippee no need to spend any money

Just realised only 42 more items & I can start on the ‘C’ numbers Woo hoo my mojo is making an appearance - just popped its head around the corner (and yes, I think basketcase’s mojo is there as well ) - I have a target Also just realised if I can get the items out by the end of the month I will have 4 months to get the ‘C’ numbers

basketcase, I am sending your mojo back - first class of course

MrsSD
    B1976/B2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin