Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 268Posts
    • 1,049Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £44/£100 Target Weight Loss: 1/6
    2018 1%
    Club (#8) - 4%/100%
    Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,745.18/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,506.26/£3,857.70
Page 35
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 14th May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    bit by bit
    MrsSD. I feel very sad at the loss of pets for DSis. I am not very sentimental by nature but still miss my dog, Sally after at least 6years since she went walkies in the sky.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 32 months to go.
    MFW 2018 #164 £758.51/£3200. Make 2018 in 2018 #30 £855.27/£2018
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 29/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th May 18, 11:13 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I am back - hogging the thread yet again

bit by bit & villagelife, thank you for your kind thoughts My DSis & I are both still finding ourselves crying at unexpected moments - my DSis I can understand as she looked after Chloe & Skye daily for 10 years I on the other hand am not usually prone to sentimentality re pets but maybe that is because I have never actually owned a pet, although I have been around them all my life However, Chloe & Skye were like members of the family & for some reason it has knocked me for six maybe I am getting more sentimental as I get older

Anyway the reason for posting here is that the CS collection has taken place - they were here for 25 mins start to finish & EVERYTHING is gone EXCEPT some dried decorative flowers/foliage & a large plastic garden table which DSis & I will be using when the rest of the furniture is stored or on the van to London

I am upping the guesstimate to 1,500 items as the ‘room’ where everything was stored measured 10m by 3.5m & we could barely move

F1319 - F2818 Toys, games, cuddly toys, lamps, ornaments, crockery, pots & pans, bean bags, pool chairs, small electricals, very old TV (weighed a ton), larger electricals, CofD, several small tables & storage units, DVD racks & DVDs, books, wall hanging pictures, photo frames, 2 seater sofa with foot rest, foot stool, towels, bed & table linen, the large rectangular antique ceiling light fitting with 8 small lampshades, & on & on & on

F2819 - F2821 still wrapped quilt covers - DONATED to new owners

We are all feeling a lot better - but still a lot to do in the house our excuse is that there is not a large black bin bag in sight so DSis & DH have gone off to finish dealing with officialdom & buy a few more rolls of bin bags

We still have several bags of towels etc to take to the ‘cat lady’ who arranged the cat fostering + need to make a financial donation; the grandmother clock, huge table & the very large dresser need to be moved to storage; a Tip run is required; a carful of excellent quality items need to be taken to the charity Shop; huge crate of DVDs to sell at second hand shop; 4 full cutlery drawers need to be sorted & dealt with; the tall standing freezer, fridge, td & gas bottle cooker need to be collected at the weekend; I must stop as I am getting depressed with all the things still left to do

And super important - I have to go to the doctor again as my face has swelled up again & I need more antibiotics When I get back to London an urgent dentist appointment is on the cards & I will have the tooth pulled

So I will be reading along but probably won’t post until Friday after DB & DH have set off in the van for London but no promises

MrsSD
    F2821/F3500 (don’t think 20,180 is a total anyway has )
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 15th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    basketcase
    Mrs SD – If I’d written yesterday, I’d’ve cheered at how well you’ve been doing. Today, though, I read about the cats. AND about your face swelling again... Dodgy hug definitely in order – whether you want one or not!

Saver-upper – Sounds like you were busy over the weekend.
    Villagelife – what a lovely random collection.
    Stellata – I’ve ground to a halt too. Life has a (sometimes annoying) habit of getting in the way of plans doesn’t it? Congratulations on the grandbaby! Was it a boy or a girl?
    Bit by bit – I’m with Mrs SD. Training for the Moonwalk along with everything else is impressive. Don’t undersell yourself!

Yesterday I got the princely total of 1.25lbs of recycling out of the door. I did also advertise some things on Freegle, but they’re still with us.

As for the next week or so, RL has indeed got in the way of decluttering. This morning the car decluttered itself to the garage. It broke down on a major thoroughfare (which was a bit embarrassing). It would have made an impressive addition to my totals (hmmm, tempting); but, hopefully, it’ll be coming back. It sounds as if it MAY be expensive. It’s certainly inconvenient from a decluttering pov. It can’t be fixed for at least a week...

In good news, the Bugs Bunny Cupboard was nearly emptied. If I finish that, bag everything to go, and store the out-of-the-house stuff in there till I have transport that might be productive. Could then crack on with converting DDs room back into a bedroom. This will include getting rid of a futon (to be replaced with a single bed), so I may get the charity I’m hoping to donate it to to pick it up earlier than planned.

I’ll think of something.

Anyway, yesterday’s paltry contribution of 1.25lbs brought the totals to:
    Day’s Total 1.25lbs
    Running total 625.25lbs

Happy decluttering all.

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    1445.75/2018 (total now includes pre-thread decluttering)
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 15th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 13,481 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    It is a day off for me today.While kids were at school,I mostly sorted through my 3 shelves of clothes.My clothes are all kept in a unit similar to this,but mine only has 3 shelves :
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8757685 and on the top of the unit I keep a box of socks,a box of underwear,and a box of toiletries.
    From tidying and sorting it,I have donated:
    906-913:8 t-shirts,3 still with labels on
    914:skirt and matching blouse set that I have owned for over 20 years,but as new condition,have hardly worn it,is a style that never goes out of fashion.
    915:1 pr leggings
    916:jacket,with labels
    917:skivvy,with labels
    918:sweatshirt
    919:Joules scarf,in box,never worn
    920-964:bag of 45 rags for textiles recycling (underwear,odd socks,bleach-stained clothing from my cleaning business

Recycled:
    965-969:5 boxes that have been on my shelves for years-a box shoes came in,a boxelectric toothbrush came in,etc.I keep them "just-in-case"

Donated to school:
    970-974:5 pr socks.I did also offer 2 very sturdy paper storage boxes,but not needed.Will send them to charity shop next time I go

Given to friend:
    975:short-sleeved top,labels on

All the clothes still with labels,it is not that I over-buy.In fact,I hate buying clothes.They are all clothes that my mum-in-law has kindly given me for birthday,christmas,etc,but I wear clothes until they are so worn out,I can never keep up with everything I am given,so stuff gets left in on the shelves for ages,but never used.Better to be donated when others can use it.

Binned:
    976:handful of extremely old panty-liners

Given to teenage daughter:
    977:box of not needed tampons found in the box of toiletries
    978:shirt with label.It was actually a lovely,blue-striped shirt,but I have had it for so long,and never got around to using it.I count it even though it is not leaving my life, but it is being bought out of "storage",and about to start the life that was intended for it.
    Last edited by Saver-upper; 15-05-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th May 18, 5:28 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Back yet again - you can’t keep me away

Thanks for the hug basketcase Waiting for an appointment with the doctor & hoping it is for tomorrow as I now cannot open my mouth to eat some would say that is a good thing but I can & am drinking copious amounts of tea & popping Ibuprofen like it is going out of fashion Sorry about the car but if you pay in cash you can weigh that
    I will mention that regardless of how much goes out - you are still decluttering & everything counts + well done on emptying the Bugs Bunny Cupboard & great idea for storage until the car is back Although I am with you on the ‘I want it out’ of the house mentality

An update on the items that were going to be stored with our farmer friend & probably would have degenerated through lack of use - the grandmother clock is going to London to be sold, the large dresser & the large table are being ‘stored’ (but will be in use) with the young French couple who have started the herbal & pottery business - Delphine & Fabien - they have six hectares of land & are growing everything organically + 20 sheep/lambs + 2 DDs . So my DSis has bitten the bullet & not charged them upfront (they have no money) - she has told D&F that she would prefer the furniture be used rather than rot away & that they would be doing her a favour rather than the other way around
    As a gift from D&F, because my DSis has been so nice to them , we now have a couple of bags of dried herb tea infusions & a pot of basil flavoured sugar (I might use that for bread ), a pot of salt & herbs for use with pasta & a pot of herbs for casseroles - all hm & organic

Also while we were there, my DSis got to bottle feed a lamb she was in seventh heaven

Meanwhile DB & DH loaded up the van with French rubbish to accompany the German rubbish & did a Tip run. Everything has to be sorted to go in correct skips & because they were doing that properly two of the staff helped them

For the last hour DB & DH with a little bit of assistance from DSis & me have just managed to put the dresser in the van & the table will follow shortly. The dresser was massively heavy & the inside is showing it’s age all the shelves & walls of the bottom half cupboards fell out as it was manhandled through the window. The top half had been taken off & although heavy came out through the door & did Not fall apart are being delivered tomorrow a.m. - so

F2821 - F2822 Dresser & Table to D & F
    F2823 Grandmother clock to England
    F2824 Van load of stuff to Tip

Just off to put dinner on

MrsSD
    F2824/F3500
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 15,863 Thanks
    villagelife
    MrsSD well done on your incredible total
    683-688 books to League of Friends shop.
    689 back of a broken clock. I think the front has already been binned.
    690-691 a couple of broken necklaces
    692 a broken ornament
    Last edited by villagelife; 15-05-2018 at 6:22 PM.
    • stellata
    • By stellata 16th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    stellata
    Thank you mrsSD for encouraging words. I’m getting back to it today, have started with the recycling as you suggest:
    Magnolia Stellata
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th May 18, 1:35 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Back again

The table & dresser have been delivered

F2825 - F2830 Plastic garden chairs delivered to French Farmer friend
    F2831 - F2850 DNeph’s stuff boxed up ready to be delivered tomorrow - where on earth he is going to put it all with the extra furniture (counted previously) is a moot point Oh well that is his problem

Happy decluttering & welcome back on the decluttering bandwagon stellata there are lots of us on board

MrsSD
    F2850/F3500
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 16th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Thankyou basketcase. I will try not to. Interestingly the walk has now not just relieved me of some physical weight but now it is over I feel lifted and I feel able to get on with other things. It's not euphoria, but just a big thing needed doing and now it is done it isn't blocking me any more. Like being overwhelmed but not in a negative way. it still produces the same results though.

Last night I loaded the car with a further three bags, two of clothes and one of books. The books have been waiting for a while. DH had tor ead the first in the series tosee if he wanted to read the rest. He doesn't so all out and will be dropped off tomorrow on the way home form work. so now it's 25/52 bags plus 6 other items. More to follow as I have abookshelf to clear.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 32 months to go.
    MFW 2018 #164 £758.51/£3200. Make 2018 in 2018 #30 £855.27/£2018
    Stash Busting 2018 1 projects as yet No Clutter to be Seen in 2018 Challenge: 29/52 bags of stuff plus lots of other items.
    • stellata
    • By stellata 17th May 18, 7:05 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    stellata
    Back again (in a small way)!

239-242, 4 cardboard boxes I!!!8217;d been keeping for something.
    243-260, clothes from my spare room wardrobe which I!!!8217;ll never wear again (cs)
    261, 262, toilet roll holder and towel ring from my last house; I prefer the ones which were here when I moved in.
    263, salt and pepper set
    264, outside light, replaced.

265, a collection of halfbused shower gels and similar, I just tipped them all into one bottle and used them to clean the bathroom!
    Magnolia Stellata
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th May 18, 10:12 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Bonjour encore

F2851 - F2862: 5 wheelie bins filled with rubbish, recycling, old bedding & towels, my DNeph’s old wm (he now has his mum’s wm), bag of glass & five bin bags of rubbish ALL to Tip & sorted when DB & DH got there

F2863 - F2864 Two wheelie bins full of rubbish for Tuesday’s collection
    F2865 - F2866 Two small black bin bags of ood shampoos, potions & lotions for Tip

The doctor’s appointment was a success - ten days antibiotics

The van is packed ready for DB & DH to leave at 5.00 a.m. I have no idea how it is going to fit in my house there is just so much

Anyway I am off to do the washing up & then probably/possibly to bed

MrsSD
    F2866/F3500
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 17th May 18, 11:47 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 13,481 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    979-981:a pile of my papers shredded.When I am decluttering paper,I measure 1" deep of paper as "1".This was actually a 2.5" high pile,but have rounded it up
    982-986:the beginning of shredding a huge box of my partner's papers.He had set them aside in DECEMBER for shredding,but was never going to get around to it.4.5" worth.
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    F2867 - F2868 Plastic Folders crate & stack of cardboard dividers - RECYCLED

MrsSD
    F2868/F3500
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th May 18, 1:00 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    F2869 - F2871 Three black bin bags filled & put in wheelie bin
    F2872 - F2875 Large plastic garden table & toy chest filled with bits - table cloth, ornaments, vases & general household goods + carrier bag of jigsaws & toys - COLLECTED by farmer & wife
    F2876 Crate of cleaning products for DNeph

MrsSD
    F2876/F3500
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Has been a warm day today but very cloudy with the sun struggling to be seen I have just read back on all my previous French decluttering posts & am now listing things I missed or that have gone today - I am determined we will reach 3,500

F2877 Cat scratch hoop to cat lady
    F2878 Cash donation to cat lady
    F2879 Small freezer to DNeph
    F2880 Petrol Strimmer to DB
    F2881 Painting of DM’s 2 dogs to ME
    F2882 - F2883 Picture & small hanging mirror to ME
    F2884 - F2886 Bags of glass items to Bottle Bank
    F2887 - F2888 House Key returned to English friend + box of Dishwasher tablets donated to him
    F2889 Small box of ornaments etc for CS - being delivered Monday
    F2890 Foot spa BINNED

basketcase - where are you . You found a motorbike didn’t you but can’t google the weight

Well done Saver-upper, villagelife, stellata & bit by bit - everything out is a win

Original posters - where art thou ? Hope life is treating you well & that your decluttering is going well

MrsSD
    F2890/F3500
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Quick update re the Sewing Machine - it is not being sold but being donated to DH’s niece who is soon to be a grandma
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 20th May 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 15,863 Thanks
    villagelife
    MrsSD nearly achieved your French target and coming to the end of your French adventure.

693 a broken earring
    694 a conditioner sample used up
    695 some paperwork shredded.
    696-697 magazines recycled.
    698 bar of soap used up.

Not much done as busy few days.
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 20th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 15,326 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    2841-2845. DVDs sold online
    2846. Console sold online
    2847. Handbag given to friend
    2848. Shower gel used up
    2849. Eye cream used up
    2850-2861. Jewellery bags to cs
    2862. Birthday gift from stash given
    2863. Paperwork filed
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1390 items
    2018 2869 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 20th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Donated to our adoptive French Family

F2891 - F2896 Dining chairs ( 4 & 2 )
    F2897 - F2898 Petrol mower & Flymo
    F2899 - F2900 Flatpack Bedside cabinets

Being given to DNeph:

F2901 - F2903 Another crate of cleaning products, 2 small boxes of light bulbs
    F2904 Bag of Food from freezer
    F2905 - F2906 Large Boxes of tinned & boxed food

MrsSD
    F2906/F3500
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st May 18, 6:31 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 15,863 Thanks
    villagelife
    699-700 two old sleeping mats binned.
    701 room diffuser finished and recycled.

Over 700 now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

2,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin