Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 1,079Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen 30th Dec 17 at 2:05 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2018 items in 2018.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented Slinky: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681824

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
Page 28
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 11th Apr 18, 7:18 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    I have noticed declutters saying things like" not much done" . But, take heart, dear friends, even one item out of the door is one great big psychological stone gone. It is the running total that keeps us going from strength to strength. I am now at 218 and the sense of achievement that I feel knowing that is what has done is marvellous. Before I would not have had anything to congratulate myself on, just the dreary daily grind of trying to keep on top of keeping the house tidy, now I go into the hotpress with a new sense of purpose and so ...
    218 linen shirt to CS
    219 brand new black T shirt with a too low for me scoop neck. Who am I kidding - I will never wear it. to CS.
    220pair of BN jeggings bought wrong size. To CS
    These were found today as I went through my black pile and for consideration tomorrow are the 5 black T shirts and the -at least 8 white T shirt pile. I will be strong.( whisper .. there is a pink pile...)
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 11th Apr 18, 7:27 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Edwink- if you, like me garden a lot and have "old" face creams that have gone off, you can use them up as gardening hand cream. As hands need a good wash afterwards, the cream seems to make the soil easier to remove. I hope fellow declutterers aren't disgusted with my penny-pinching decluttering. Also works with creams that you don't like the smell of. Sorry, fragrance.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 10,500 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Edwink- if you, like me garden a lot and have "old" face creams that have gone off, you can use them up as gardening hand cream. As hands need a good wash afterwards, the cream seems to make the soil easier to remove. I hope fellow declutterers aren't disgusted with my penny-pinching decluttering. Also works with creams that you don't like the smell of. Sorry, fragrance.
    Originally posted by retiredinfrance
    retiredinfrance, I am in awe I hope you are disposing of the containers in a responsible manner

A few more items out of the house (one day I hope to say “out of my home” )

B334 various bits of food packaging binned
    B335 Tin washed & recycled
    B336 - B337 Plastic Milk Cartons washed & recycled
    B338 - B339 Glass jars washed & recycled
    B340 Knackered double oven glove binned

B341 Broken Plastic water gun (used to scare cats from my wild bird friendly garden ) binned

To a Clutter Free 2018

MrsSD
    B341/B2018
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 12th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    MrsSD, of course I recycle very responsibly. Here in my district we got a reduction in a tax(similar to council tax) of 9 euros pa because we reduced our bin collections and we have super local "tips".
    221 a black Tshirt to CS. I could send more but they are in good shape and I just need to stop buying them for a while.
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 12th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Rootle
    14/52 - 2 pairs of white, light curtains to the recycling centre (not even sure how I've come to have them?! I've never used them)
    • EndlessStruggle
    • By EndlessStruggle 12th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 5,720 Thanks
    EndlessStruggle
    I think is time I stepped back in! Been decluttering the past few weeks and managed to shift a huge kitchen unit to someone on Facebook and a car load of DVDs and clothes to the charity shop.

I have a bag of food for my partner to take home due to not checking for milk and a huge pile of old paperwork to shred, which will be today's job I think.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,961 Thanks
    edwink
    I love your penny pinching because I am a penny pincher too retiredinfrance

Good idea about the face creams BUT the problem I have is that I also have a load of hand creams to use up too. My SIL is one of the most wasteful people you could ever meet. Seriously she just does not care. She has enough money so she spends it on cosmetics like Decleor, Loccitane and Kath Kidston to name but a few. She opens the pot or tube squeezes a bit out to try it or smell it and shoves it in a drawer and that's it. Her wastefulness depresses me if I am honest. We are like chalk and cheese when it comes to money. I would say I have around "at least" 5 years supply of cosmetics that have been opened and had a finger stuck in them. She is the same with shampoo's and conditioner's. It is appalling, absolutely appalling what she does. Does she have a problem? Yes she certainly does but sadly the other family members just let her get on with it so the shopping parcels keep arriving. I have sat her down and had really long chats with her and she has literately promised me she will use up what she has BUT she never does and when she can not fit anymore in to her bedroom drawers offer them to me or else she throws them in the bin. The latest lot was over 50 bottles of nail varnish, yes over 50, only 4 of them opened which I gave to my friend. The others were sent via a neighbour through a charity to young teenage girls in somewhere like Kenya. A place where young girls and their families do not have the money to buy such luxuries in their country. So I suppose at least some have gone to really good use and I bet those bottles will be used up right until the very last drop from the bottom of the bottle.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 12-04-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 12th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Edwink, I am so glad that you are doing some good for young women elsewhere in the world who really appreciate nail varnish. I, too don't understand people who can waste so much. Even if they can afford it, why waste. She seems a bit like my sister who is convinced that the dearer something is, the better it is. She used to give her rejects to our mother who used up a range of foundation and eyeshadow colours and as her eyesight wasn't the best , she used to look a trifle strange at times, but neither she nor I were bothered. She had been through WW2 and was always pleased not to be without "girly" things.
    Congratulations on being able to find a good home for the stuff.
    To add to my pile, I took the car for a service yesterday and decluttered the rubbish from the cubbyholes in front. Apart from one pen and 7 coins the rest was binned today. will adjust total next time.
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 12th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    Edwink, just read on "A Simpler Life" about someone who donates toiletries to a Women's Refuge. That's an idea for a decluttering destination. Also, I support a very small charity that does work in Nepal and fired up with your post I am going to send out nice soap or something appropriate for the women's culture to make them feel good.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,961 Thanks
    edwink
    Edwink, just read on "A Simpler Life" about someone who donates toiletries to a Women's Refuge. That's an idea for a decluttering destination.
    Thank you for mentioning that. I also read about it last year somewhere but I looked in to it online and it stated only new toiletries and not used ones unfortunately

Had a friend round this evening and she has gone home with quite a few opened ones for herself and her daughter. YAY!!! That's another 18 gone. And best of all I know they will use them all up too so am thrilled about those ones going to a good home.

Plus I used up another hand cream tonight by using some myself and for the last bit in the tube I pinned my hubby down and squirted one blob on each of his legs. He gets such dry skin but wont use anything unless I force him to and tonight I won

So that's another 19 on my decluttering total

Edwink

424/2018
    Last edited by edwink; 12-04-2018 at 9:36 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 16,173 Thanks
    villagelife
    Retiredinfrance I must start using up the hotel moisturiser pots as handcream. I will go and leave a couple in the greenhouse as I often go out just to water and start digging, planting or weeding and come back into the house a couple of hours later.
    Thanks for your post saying even one item out of the door is worthwhile. Made me feel less despondent.

517 broken cheap glasses thrown.
    518 -519 plastic bags recycled as broken and beyond use.
    520 rubbish from my car binned.
    521 bag of shredding done.
    522 a pair of socks with holes in.
    Last edited by villagelife; 14-04-2018 at 8:27 AM.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 16,173 Thanks
    villagelife
    523 an old bottle of mouthwash found at the back of the bathroom cupboard has been thrown.
    524-526 packets of OOD seeds have been sown in the hope that they will grow.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 14th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    tboo
    111 - 116) 6 playing necklaces gone from DD's drawer that hold her brush, bobbles, hair bows etc
    Lots of crud thrown out so not counting those.

However the above 6 out has to be nearly counteracted with 5 bottles of perfume back in that eldest DD has given to her younger sister.

I am not counting a large trifle glass bowl that she tried to palm onto me from her house - I have 1 already so it's in the CS bag.
    Last edited by tboo; 14-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 10,500 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi from France,

I arrived Friday & my DH arrived a few hours ago. My DSis has managed to declutter a cookery Book & a set of scales TO ME However, two items into my kitchen will be immediately counteracted by 8 glass bowls which have been earmarked for the cs & I will be revisiting all my kitchen cupboards for a 2nd time & decluttering the rest of the items I kept ‘in hope’ of using them This time I will be brutal as I have found an absolutely marvellous cs ‘I Community’ who are trying to make a real difference in the community.

The French decluttering starts in earnest tomorrow

I might even list the French stuff as F.. so

F1 Italian cookery Book to England
    F2 Kitchen scales to England

To a Clutter Free Life

MrsSD
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 15th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Rootle
    15/52 - a trip to the CS to drop off a board game, card game, sun hat and a filing case (and a dud pair of shoes in the bin).
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 15th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    MrsSD- glad to see the laughter. Keep smiling.
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 15th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    84-89. Nail Varnishes
    90-92. Vests
    93. Car Battery Re-Charger
    94. Cheque Paid In
    95. PG Tips + Monkey sold on ebay
    96. Box of bulldogs clips
    97. Leggings
    98. Pooleopoly
    99. Unicorn Pin Badge
    100. Badge Box
    101-103. Sound Cards
    104. Hair Tongs
    105. Shampoo Sample
    106-158. Comics sold on eBay
    159. Pack of Pencils
    160. My Little Pony Hair Comb
    161. Electronic Screwdriver
    162. Mouse
    163. Light
    164-306. Parts of Marquee
    307-309. Buckets with holes in
    310. Freezer basket
    311-312. Lizard Logs
    313. Charger Base
    314-317. Frozen Food
    2018 £2 Savers Club #28 - £22/£100 Target Weight Loss: 4/6
    2018 1% Club (#8) - 8%/100% Declutter 2018 in 2018 - 317/2018
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Barclaycard (0%): £4,638.42/£5,197.37
    DH Overdraft: £1,800 Virgin CC (0%):£4,086.20/£3,857.70
    • edwink
    • By edwink 15th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,961 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi from France,

I arrived Friday & my DH arrived a few hours ago. My DSis has managed to declutter a cookery Book & a set of scales TO ME However, two items into my kitchen will be immediately counteracted by 8 glass bowls which have been earmarked for the cs & I will be revisiting all my kitchen cupboards for a 2nd time & decluttering the rest of the items I kept !!!8216;in hope!!!8217; of using them This time I will be brutal as I have found an absolutely marvellous cs !!!8216;I Community!!!8217; who are trying to make a real difference in the community.

The French decluttering starts in earnest tomorrow

I might even list the French stuff as F.. so

F1 Italian cookery Book to England
    F2 Kitchen scales to England

To a Clutter Free Life

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    MrsSD- glad to see the laughter. Keep smiling.

I really do love reading your posts Mrs Salad Dodger as they make me smile, giggle and laugh. Its as if there is a bit of mischief in them somewhere. Like in your post above you wrote that your DSis had managed to declutter a cookery book and a set of scales TO YOU then you put the ROTFL on the end of the sentence. Then later in your post you wrote the French decluttering starts in earnest tomorrow with the big grin. Also you wrote saying you were going to list the French stuff with a F in front of the number. Your posts are really quite quirky and a pleasure to read.

Can I ask please if you don't mind, is your username Mrs Salad Dodger because you don't like eating salads so you dodge them? Just that I wondered

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 15-04-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 10,500 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I really do love reading your posts Mrs Salad Dodger as they make me smile, giggle and laugh. Its as if there is a bit of mischief in them somewhere. Like in your post above you wrote that your DSis had managed to declutter a cookery book and a set of scales TO YOU then you put the ROTFL on the end of the sentence. Then later in your post you wrote the French decluttering starts in earnest tomorrow with the big grin. Also you wrote saying you were going to list the French stuff with a F in front of the number. Your posts are really quite quirky and a pleasure to read.

Can I ask please if you don't mind, is your username Mrs Salad Dodger because you don't like eating salads so you dodge them? Just that I wondered

Edwink x
    Originally posted by edwink
    Edwink, thank you so much for your post - I read it aloud & we now have a happy DH, DSis, nephew & I am still chuckling

The name was picked as my DH was nicknamed Mr Salad Dodger by his motorcycling friends as when we have buffet meals he always avoided the salad stuff & just chose loads of carbs & meats. I love salad but when it came to choosing a name to post under I thought Mrs Salad Dodger would be apropos My nickname from the motorcycling group was ‘The Sweetie Lady’ but there are too many connotations to that one Quick explanation - Every May Day 50 or so people bike to France for a 3 day w/e & I always bring a big jar of old fashioned sweets e.g. flying saucers, black jacks, sherbet fountains etc.

Anyway DSis has decluttered a Book to my DH

F3 Book to England

MrsSD
    F3/F20,180 ?
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 10,500 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    My DSis has been brutal today, so I will be guessing at numbers of rubbish bags out rather than contents of said large black bin bags She & my DH have done one Tip run today (she now has a card to raise the barrier herself )

F4 - F10 Disgustingly dirty rugs toTip
    F11 Manky large computer desk dismantled & taken to Tip
    F12 - F13 Twenty year old child car seats to Tip
    F14 - F20 Full Black bin bags to Tip
    F21 - F71 Musty & damp English books in recycling bin
    F72 - F102 Various sizes of cardboard boxes dismantled & in recycling bin
    F103 - F132 English children’s books - boxed up to take to English cs
    F133 - F173 Various Books, DVDs & games being relocated to nephew’s flat

The next car load of stuff for the Tip is sitting in the hallway ready to be put in car for a Tip run tomorrow

F174 - F183 Full Black bin bags to Tip
    F184 - F200 Broken Electrical items, fishing paraphernalia & computer bits to Tip

She also now has a pile of stuff to be sold for €1 to €5 when she has her sale! Anything unsold will go straight to the Tip

The unfortunate thing is that although her rubbish is collected weekly, her recycling is only collected fortnightly & she now has two full recycling bins which won’t be emptied until next week

So a good start for my DSis

MrsSD
    F200/F20,180
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin