Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ian smiths
    • By Ian smiths 30th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ian smiths
    First time buyer- charred timber found!!!???
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    First time buyer- charred timber found!!!??? 30th Dec 17 at 1:49 PM
    Hi All,

FTB here purchasing a property in acromonious circumstances. The couple we are buying from have had a dicorce and subsequent court order placed on the house. Just had the survey done. It has revealed that the ceiling under the downstairs Wc which had a small board removed (told due to a leak from upstairs bathroom) has revealed charred timber????

The surveyor has questioned the vendors as to if there was a fire in the property ( which they would have knowledge as it was a bungalow converted by themselves) this has been denied.

Ive been told to mention this to my conveyancing solicitor.

What can my conveyancing solicitor do about this legally?

Is charred timber even used as a cheaper alternative?
    Would the next step be getting a builder in?

Any help would be appreciated.
Page 2
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 3rd Jan 18, 10:35 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    How long have the vendors owned the house? It is possible that the fire occured before they owned it and they have not had a ceiling down since they owned it. So they can say that they haven't had a fire. What it could mean is that the vendors did not have a survey that picked up that the house had had a fire and it has only come to light once there was a leak and the ceiling came down.

Find out how long the vendors have lived there. You say they converted the house? What did they convert it from?

You need to ask yourself this. If they converted that house and they didn't notice that it had had a fire in it what is the quality of their conversion and do you want to buy that?
    • Ian smiths
    • By Ian smiths 4th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian smiths
    Hi

Thankyou for all the responses.

house was originally a bungalow.
    Coverted with a storey added ontop of it.

Vendor says that the joists have been affected by water leak and not charring. I was told that the hole in ceiling was for repairs to be done due to leak.
    Surveyor saying it is charring.

I have a picture which would be great to have an opinion on, however doesnt let me post it as i am a new user?

May just get a builder and or inspector to get final word and costings for replacing joists.
    • Ian smiths
    • By Ian smiths 4th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian smiths
    //i.imgur.com/WqN7xWO.jpg
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by Ian smiths
    Possibly not the clearest or most helpful image...
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 4th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    jimbog
    Might it be that there was a water leak in the loft, the hole was made to repair it and charring (if exists) is from the careless use of a blowtorch in the repair.
    Can you just stick your head in there (or use a mirror) with a torch and learn more?
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 4th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    ProDave
    The most shocking thing is the fact the vendor has put the house on the market like that without finishing the repair. Personally I would pull the whole ceiling down, have a good look and re board it. It is only a small room and the ceiling is in poor condition anyway.

The "charred" bit looks very small though it is a poor picture. I too would be wanting a good look from a pair of steps with a torch and a mirror, or better still an endoscope camera if you can borrow one.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It does look like a large area for plumber's scorch marks. We have a few, on plasterboard in the pantry and airing cupboard ,from when the central heating was fitted with some restricted access but they are quite small (no more than 4cm ).

That ceiling looks as though the whole panel was originally meant to be removed for loft access, but has been sealed by painting over the joins.

You can get endoscopes with viewers or some that send an image to your mobile for around 25on Amazon and they are later useful for such tasks as car engine inspections.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 04-01-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Jan 18, 12:01 AM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I think there is a good chance that when they converted this house they didn't strengthen the floor of what used to be the loft of they would have found this.

This house probably has structural issues from not being converted properly.
    • Ian smiths
    • By Ian smiths 5th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian smiths
    Building survey found no signs of structural incompetence.

All work done with permissions and signed off by local regs.

Best bet is probably ladder, torch, camera and something to test its strength.
    • Ian smiths
    • By Ian smiths 17th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian smiths
    //ibb.co/mkOap6

://ibb.co/jC35NR

thats what i found when closer to the timber
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 17th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    jimbog
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 17th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    jimbog
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    That looks more like wet rot than charring.
    • Ian smiths
    • By Ian smiths 17th Jan 18, 11:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian smiths
    ://ibb.co/eArRe6
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 17th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    Slithery

That looks like black paint to me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,606Posts Today

8,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin