Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clairebeth
    • By clairebeth 30th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 160Posts
    • 69Thanks
    clairebeth
    Multi Cooker/ Instant Pot
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    Multi Cooker/ Instant Pot 30th Dec 17 at 9:27 AM
    Hello,

I've been wanting to replace my broken rice cooker, and was fortunate enough to be given a £50 Amazon voucher for Christmas. When I've searched for rice cookers, quite a lot of these multi cookers have come up and I wonder what your opinion is? Certainly it would be nice to create space by getting rid of rice cooker and rather cumbersome slow cooker, both which get regular use. But I also don't want something that is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Most of the ones in my price range are brands other than the famous 'instant pot', but if you felt the Instant Pot was the one that does all the functions 'properly' then I would probably hold out for it!

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 30th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Helebore
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    I have an Instant Pot and love it. Don!!!8217;t use all the time but great when I do! For example, if you want a stew, instead of doing it in slow cooker, which I used to do, you can do it in approximately 30 minutes. Use for soup, quicker than pan on hob and better than soup maker. Haven!!!8217;t done rice but have made rice pudding. For more information I would join the FB page Instant Pot UK community. I haven!!!8217;t looked at any of the other brands so cannot compare!
    Helena
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 30th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 20,523 Thanks
    csarina2
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    I have an Instant Pot and love it. Donít use all the time but great when I do! For example, if you want a stew, instead of doing it in slow cooker, which I used to do, you can do it in approximately 30 minutes. Use for soup, quicker than pan on hob and better than soup maker. Havenít done rice but have made rice pudding. For more information I would join the FB page Instant Pot UK community. I havenít looked at any of the other brands so cannot compare!
    Helena
    Originally posted by Helebore
    I have been looking at the instant pot too. Where did you get it from?
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 30th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Helebore
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    I bought mine from Amazon but I think they are out of stock for the forseeable. If you join above group someone on there will be able to say! Or, there!!!8217;s also the official Instant Pot site, although they are both connected to one another. I bought mine when I lived recently in a flat where space so limited that I couldn!!!8217;t use the hob, or I could but no space to put things down to let hob cool down as well. Dreadful. But my IP helped sooo much. Now I have moved but decided against a cooker, have my IP although have bought a 2 ring hotplate which I haven!!!8217;t yet used or opened even! Am using a combi microwave as well, am just getting to grips with that! Have just looked, it looks like more will be available sometime in February!
    Helena
    Last edited by Helebore; 30-12-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: More info!
    • vatic
    • By vatic 30th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 2,426 Thanks
    vatic
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    I'm in the market for one too because we got Amazon vouchers for Christmas. Have considered both the IP but will happily get one of the others if people say it's any good!
    March win: Fair Squared organic spa skincare set
    It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts -- Ella Fitzgerald

• whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 30th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 30th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    I think there is another thread somewhere on the old style board about instant pot
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 30th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    I have an instant pot too and I love it, I bought in on Amazon but have had it about 2 years now, I just cooked a small ham in it today, took 40 min, then popped in oven to glaze, was lovely and tender. I use my regularly for rice and soup. I have never tried any other all in one cookers so can't really compare it to anything else.
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Sally A
    • By Sally A 30th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 5,837 Thanks
    Sally A
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    ClaireBeth - should you chose to get rid of your cumbersome slow cooker - if it is the ceramic pot and lid variety, please give me first shout - these cook so much better than the steel and glass lidded trendy upstarts.

• Grumpysally
    • By Grumpysally 30th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Grumpysally
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    Check out the official Instant Pot UK Facebook group. Lots of recipes, lots of helpful people. Make sure it is the UK one as for some reason, a lot of the photos of meals produced on the US group look rather unappetising.
    I wanted one for Christmas but they went out of stock, apparently will be back in stock with the latest model in Feb.
    I'm holding out for that particular brand as it has a stainless steel inner pot whereas most alternative models have non stick coated aluminium ones.
    If you are not in a rush to get one, I recommend you do some research online to help you decide if it's for you.
    Don't be tempted to buy one from eBay or any other third-party seller as Amazon are the only official sellers apart from through the instant pot site. They will not be guaranteed by the manufacturer. They were appearing for sale at ridiculously inflated prices in the run-up to Christmas after they had been officially sold out.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 31st Dec 17, 2:09 PM
    • 19,437 Posts
    • 45,095 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I bought a Pressure King Pro just before Christmas, it's by far the best piece of kit I've ever bought. It does pressure/slow/rice/saute/soup/dough proving.

I was so fed up with my slow cooker making everything taste the same and coming out watery but this cooker is amazing.

So far I've made:
    Beef short ribs
    Gammon joint
    Beef cheeks
    Dauphinoise potoatoes
    Jacket potatoes
    Spag bol

Everything has come out perfect and so full of flavour and it's so quick.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • clairebeth
    • By clairebeth 31st Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    clairebeth
    Thanks all! I think I will hold out for the instant pot to come back in stock then! Does anyone know what the usual price is? I can't seem to find out?
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 31st Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    I liked the idea of these but after following the FB Page it seemed to me they were rather complicated to use. It seems like a totally new way of cooking to learn, and I!!!8217;m not sure I can be bothered. Maybe I!!!8217;m wrong.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 31st Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 6,518 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    prosaver
    i heared pressure cookers are coming back
    https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/857168621506205077?lsf=seller:2839496,store:714695 524328719637&prds=oid:5002817476334061234&q=modern +pressure+cooker&hl=en&ei=7T5JWuasFMfBkgXi_I7IBQ&l sft=gclid:EAIaIQobChMIrvfIo4K12AIVBZUbCh17bQ5UEAQY AiABEgIEmfD_BwE
    not sure if its called a instant pot?
    Last edited by prosaver; 31-12-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    ďLife isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.Ē
    !!!8213; George Bernard Shaw
    • clairebeth
    • By clairebeth 1st Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    clairebeth
    Yes, so that's a different brand, but certainly cheap! I wonder if I should just go for that one instead. I suppose, as long as I get something that can cook rice, I've achieved my initial goal!
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 1st Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 8,460 Thanks
    Callie22
    Thanks all! I think I will hold out for the instant pot to come back in stock then! Does anyone know what the usual price is? I can't seem to find out?
    Originally posted by clairebeth
    It depends which model. If you're looking at Amazon then the prices fluctuate quite a lot - they are often on offer and I think I got mine for £60, although this was a year or so ago. I think they're 'normally' priced at about £100-ish for the six-in-one. Having seen a few TV adverts for the Pressure King Pro I have to say it looks almost identical.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 1st Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 19,437 Posts
    • 45,095 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Having seen a few TV adverts for the Pressure King Pro I have to say it looks almost identical.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    Yes, that's the conclusion I came to, and it's available in John Lewis and Currys.

It comes in a few different sizes and versions too, some with less functions that may be more suited if you don't think you'll use all the features.

I got this book (£11 on eBay)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Complete-Pressure-Cooker-Electric/dp/0754832880/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514809827&sr=1-3&refinements=p_27%3AJennie+Shapter

I got a few from the library first and found this one the best.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • misfire
    • By misfire 1st Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    misfire
    I have a kingpro one - It does all what I need (and much more) and i know they are now cheaper than when I got mine for my birthday. I only really use the meat and stew function on it and it is one gadget that I do really use.
    Debt is gone - weight is next. I will be a skinny money saver at some point :-)
    • vatic
    • By vatic 9th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 2,426 Thanks
    vatic
    Those of you who already have an electric pressure cooker, which size do you have?
    How many people do you feed with it?
    What amount of meat/soup/etc can you put in it?

I really like the look of the KingPro one, but am wondering if the 5 litre will be enough for us. We're only a family of 3 (but we love our food ) and would like the flexibility of needing to feed more than 3-4 people and/or have leftovers because I usually have them for lunch at the moment when I cook things for dinner and in my slow cooker.
    March win: Fair Squared organic spa skincare set
    It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts -- Ella Fitzgerald

• peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 19,437 Posts
    • 45,095 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Those of you who already have an electric pressure cooker, which size do you have?
    How many people do you feed with it?
    What amount of meat/soup/etc can you put in it?

I really like the look of the KingPro one, but am wondering if the 5 litre will be enough for us. We're only a family of 3 (but we love our food ) and would like the flexibility of needing to feed more than 3-4 people and/or have leftovers because I usually have them for lunch at the moment when I cook things for dinner and in my slow cooker.
    Originally posted by vatic
    Mine is the 6 litre version, I mainly cook for the 2 of us and have only ever filled it to the min line, that's a about 1kg of meat plus veg, enough for a stew for dinner and left overs for a pie, or generous a dinner for 3/4. There's plenty of room to double up any recipe, I think you could easily do a stew for 6 in it, so maybe a good guide would be 1 litre capacity per person?

Last night I made BBq ribs, they fell off the bone after 25 mins. Bloody lovely!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 3rd Apr 18, 12:33 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hope this helps Csarina .

polly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

4,834Users online

Martin's Twitter