Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zoeandrews
    • By Zoeandrews 30th Dec 17, 5:52 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Zoeandrews
    BT price hike - no email sent
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:52 AM
    BT price hike - no email sent 30th Dec 17 at 5:52 AM
    Hi

I haven't received a email from BT regarding the price hike. I've just called them and I am affected but I never received my email (checked in junk mail too). Apparently it was sent 6th November, the same issue happened last year when they increased prices. I have received all other emails they sent e.g. Trying to get me to buy BT sport and all my bills. There's nothing I can do now because it's over the 30 days the email was "sent" but has anyone else had the same issue? My email account is with msn, so perhaps it's msn/Hotmail blocking these emails when BT send out bulk emails because the email providers think they're spam?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 10,507 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    Is that the same as the email address in your MY BT members account page ???
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 30th Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 8,167 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 30th Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    Itís a common problem - more often than you think. The downside is they maintain all affected customers were notified by email. However, even if it was by letter, many would maintain that this was never delivered too - and the expectation is that it was. With email, some smart filter pro-actively block and do not send it to a spam folder- so you are never alerted.

Hardly an ideal solution- but the problem remains, you are supposed to be advised of material changes and you werenít. If they only sent an email, and you didnít get it - then all you can do is reiterate it was never received. A letter on the other hand, there is a stated expectation of delivery after 3 days - this does not exist for email.

All you can reasonably do is WRITE, stating no notice was given, and your intention to leave if the terms changed to your detriment - as they now have, you are looking for a common-sense resolution to the problem.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 30th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    Check the exact wording of the email that other people received.

In previous years the wording has said .... "30 days from receipt of this email".
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 30th Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    It doesn't help the OP any but we (not BT) can't send any emails to customers with AOL email addresses as they block all emails from our normal inbox, we have to send from a separate standalone one if we really need to send them something.
    • Zoeandrews
    • By Zoeandrews 31st Dec 17, 4:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zoeandrews
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:12 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:12 AM
    Thanks all, yeah the company I work for find it difficult to send out emails to Hotmail email addresses if there's a large amount of them, probably the same with other email providers too. Trouble is BT say they can see when it was sent but it's my responsibility to take it up with Hotmail because I never received it...weird as how can I check if an email has been sent to me when I don't know about it. I wonder how many people this affects, when it happened the first time I called bt cs and they said lots of people had been calling up saying they hadn't received an email about the price increase.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 31st Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    I got an actual letter about the price increases, but I only have BT phone and their sport TV channels, I don't use them for internet.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 3rd Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    The regulations state:
    General conditions 9.6a.
    "give its Subscribers adequate notice not shorter than one month
    of any modifications likely to be of material detriment to that
    Subscriber"

As others have said your only defence is stating you have not received the 30 days notice, doesn't matter what BT say, you are telling them, you have not received it. Put in an official complaint and go from there.

I personally think that if BT choose to tell subscribers earlier than 30 days before the price change, that is their choice, but provided you tell them before the price change comes in to effect, you should be allowed to leave.
    I don't think it is right that the 30 days is not strictly the 30 days before the price rise, it could start 90 days before the price rise if they choose, which to me is odd.
    • patsy.furnival
    • By patsy.furnival 5th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patsy.furnival
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    Thanks. Same for me. I rang them today said definitely not received it. They said I had & it had been opened. No way! Will leave anyway as has so much trouble but at least I can tell them others had same problem. Outrageous. I think they are conning people.
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 5th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 5,428 Thanks
    earthmother
    Not emails, but I just had a similar problem in that I received the price change letter less than 30 days ago, but on calling them to try and haggle/change suppliers (I could save £20 a month by moving), I was told that because they have the letter in their system as being sent over a week prior to me me receiving it, I'm already locked into the next contract cycle, unless I want to pay over £300 to break the contract. The letter they sent me was undated, if it had been dated at least I'd have known how long I really had to sort things out. So now instead of being £20 better off each month, I'm worse off instead. Seriously not happy, but nothing I can do.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • Selwynha
    • By Selwynha 18th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Selwynha
    30 days notification or 30 days to leave BT?
    I received my notification of the BT price hike and duly called within the 30 days to tell them that I was giving them notification of my intention to terminate my internet contract.
    I have found a good alternative deal with SKY through Topcashback.
    I called BT again to tell them I was going to SKY and they told me that I was outside the 30 days. I reassured them that I had in fact given them notification within the 30 day period. BT informed me that I had to complete the switch to another supplier within the 30 day period?
    I've now complained to the ombudsman and await their response.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 10,507 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <BT informed me that I had to complete the switch to another supplier within the 30 day period? >

Yes that is correct .
    I believe the Ofcom rules are 30 days .
    • Blackberry Farm
    • By Blackberry Farm 30th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Blackberry Farm
    No Email of Price Hike Either
    I haven't had the email either.

Spoke to an advisor tonight who basically told me TOUGH !

When I signed up to the 2 year contract I was told it would NEVER CHANGE ! It's jumped £20 a Month in a year ! Disgusted !

I never delete my emails., Have been through and through., nothing !

Advisor told me it was attached to my bill., NOPE all bills are JUST BILLS !

So looks like I'm stuck with these SCAMMERS for another year !
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 30th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 19,107 Thanks
    mije1983
    I haven't had the email either.

Spoke to an advisor tonight who basically told me TOUGH !

When I signed up to the 2 year contract I was told it would NEVER CHANGE ! It's jumped £20 a Month in a year ! Disgusted !

I never delete my emails., Have been through and through., nothing !

Advisor told me it was attached to my bill., NOPE all bills are JUST BILLS !

So looks like I'm stuck with these SCAMMERS for another year !
    Originally posted by Blackberry Farm

If you have it in writing that it will 'never change' then go back to them.

But how has it gone up £20 in a year? Sounds more like you may have bene on a promo deal for x months that has now ended rather than a general increase .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,552Posts Today

6,094Users online

Martin's Twitter