Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • erniethecat
    • By erniethecat 29th Dec 17, 6:10 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 95Thanks
    erniethecat
    How did it come to this?
    • 29th Dec 17, 6:10 PM
    How did it come to this? 29th Dec 17 at 6:10 PM
    i have been living with my human mum for 5 years. We live in the US, but mum is a proper englander. She's been debt free before, but depression and anxiety and loneliness make her spend money. Last year her boss threatened to fire her multiple times. She realized she's getting old to get a new job (she's 45), and she has no retirement. She earns a good wage, but she still has cc debt.

I told her we can't go on like this. I'm 9 - I won't be with her forever - and while I am, I want to know where my food is coming from. So together we're going to get it together. I don't know how bad it is because she won't tell me. But as you can tell, I'm a reading, typing cat boy, and I can find out. But not till I've had my before-lunch-nap.
Page 3
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 5th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    ALL of my cats could swim... they were very Bad Asssss
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • erniethecat
    • By erniethecat 6th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    erniethecat
    Next time mum fills the bath, I'll try and swim from side to side. If I can do that I'll be able to swim the atlantic, right?!

Mum was working hard today, but was starving at lunchtime so had a cheeky starbucks. But, the drink was free (from rewards collected) and the sandwich was paid for from swagbucks earnings, so practically free. Apart from that, some milk and chocolate, so a low spend day at $5.59 if not a no spend day.

She was supposed to go out tonight but decided she was too tired. Ruined my plans for a night on the town, so I'm not happy. Saved a little more money though :-)

Weirdly the transaction for the flight she booked has disappeared. She called and the booking is still there, and the bank can't explain it, so who knows what's going on? Got to remember that the balance of that account is $286 lower.

Oh, and good news! Mum found an account she'd forgotten with $300 in it! So the flight is paid for, when the transaction finally clears.

Oh, and bad news, the leccy bill is $80 this month! Tomorrow we have to concentrate and work out how the thermostat works. The usage has this massive spike after we've gone to bed which makes no sense.

So a mixed day moneywise, and no night on the town for me. Definitely a net negative. Grrrrr.
    • erniethecat
    • By erniethecat 9th Jan 18, 4:04 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    erniethecat
    We'll we've learnt something over the last few days: just how out of touch we are with the money we have and what we spend. Apparently, on Saturday we spend $2.98 on "Highlights". She says, she doesn't remember what that is. No idea. Literally, she's must have been spending money whilst sleep walking.

We spend 20 minutes trying to work out when we'd spent $300 on clothes, before we noticed that the transaction was in 2014!

On the good news front, a bunch of clothes arrived, got tried on and got sent back. The spending graph on Mint shows January as a teeny tiny blip compared with months before. We still haven't gone food shopping although we're starting to get low - in human food at least! The larder is still full of cat food :-) We have money to cash out on Swagbucks for treats. She signed up for an improv class and found out she gets free entry to shows for the duration of the course!

I think the good news outweighs the bad around here. Although, I think I missed a bit last time I cleaned my face. Sluuuuurrrrrrrrppppp.
    Chase: $5,512.91 Citi:$2,592.24 Total: $8105.15
    Paid So Far: $301.85
    • erniethecat
    • By erniethecat 9th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    erniethecat
    Awesome News!!! (Or, it pays to be confused sometimes).

So, health insurance. A little kitty education. There's two important numbers - the deductible (like an excess) which you have to pay before the plan kicks in, and the out of pocket maximum which is the most you can pay in a year on top of your monthly payments.

This year our deductible is $350. So I thought that we'd have to pay that before getting drugs at the plan prices which are $10 and $20 per drug. Turns out that for the drugs she's taking, we get the $10 and $20 pricing immediately!! (I still don't understand why!)

So cost of health insurance monthly just dropped from $1237 to to $700!! Woohoooooooooo!

Oh, and that out of pocket maximum, that is the total we might have to pay depending on what happens? It's $7750 and... we already had it saved because that was the deductible last year and so that's what we thought it was this year. Assuming we don't switch drugs or add any this year, there's no health emergency we can't handle.

Stress. Gone. Yawn. Oh, I need a nap after all this excitement!
    Chase: $5,512.91 Citi:$2,592.24 Total: $8105.15
    Paid So Far: $301.85
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 54,906 Posts
    • 219,199 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well thats good news.
    Enjoy your snooze
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I think I'd need a nap too, but hurrah for the numbers.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Awesome News!!! (Or, it pays to be confused sometimes).

So, health insurance. A little kitty education. There's two important numbers - the deductible (like an excess) which you have to pay before the plan kicks in, and the out of pocket maximum which is the most you can pay in a year on top of your monthly payments.

This year our deductible is $350. So I thought that we'd have to pay that before getting drugs at the plan prices which are $10 and $20 per drug. Turns out that for the drugs she's taking, we get the $10 and $20 pricing immediately!! (I still don't understand why!)
    Originally posted by erniethecat
    Perhaps it's that once the plan actually kicks in, you never pay the deductible again? (it doesn't reset yearly?)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Ernie (and Mum )

Hope things are going ok... been very quiet.

Not trying to swim over here I hope
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,466Posts Today

8,855Users online

Martin's Twitter