Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chloed1993
    • By Chloed1993 29th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chloed1993
    Hyundai i20 Handbrake
    • 29th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    Hyundai i20 Handbrake 29th Dec 17 at 5:16 PM
    Hi,

Iím looking for some advise. I parked my new Hyundai i20 in my parking space outside my house on a slight incline. Got shopping out of the boot and went in the house for 20 minutes. I think had a knock at the door to find my car had rolled across the road and onto a neighbours car. A witness saw the car suddenly go and the handbrake was definitely up. We got the witness to verify. Itís left a massive dent and damage to my car and damage to my neighbours car.

The garage I purchased the new car on finance from took it in for tests today and have said thereís nothing wrong with it and we didnít put the handbrake on high enough.

Has anyone else had a problem similar or have any advice? They have said they might be able to fix the damage for slightly cheaper but I just donít believe that it is working correctly as the handbrake was definitely applied and it was high.

Please help!
Page 3
    • almillar
    • By almillar 2nd Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    almillar
    What car was that then?
    Most modern cars that still have handbrakes tell you NOT to press the button.
    This includes your favourite car, BeenThroughItAll, the Renault Zoe. Anyway, just parking in gear prevents these problems
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 2nd Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    This includes your favourite car, BeenThroughItAll, the Renault Zoe. Anyway, just parking in gear prevents these problems
    Originally posted by almillar

Yeah, I misread the first post as saying 'press button on application' rather than 'don't press button on application'.
    • Weiskin
    • By Weiskin 13th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Weiskin
    I have had exactly the same issue with my new Hyundai i20 and my friend who has a 2-year-old Hyundai i10 reports the same. In her case her car has twice rolled down a slope and hit another vehicle. This is my second i20; I had no such issues with the older model.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 14th Sep 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    almillar
    Perhaps park the car in gear to prevent these problems?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

4,050Users online

Martin's Twitter