Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 29th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 10,683Posts
    • 28,017Thanks
    benbenandme
    2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle
    • 29th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle 29th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    Hello It's that time of year for another new diary ... I'm not a newbie, I've been around these parts for years, never quite knowing whether I should be on here or the Mortgage Free boards, but after much consideration I have decided to return here for my next diary installment.

I have previous chapters of my journey on here, but a brief history of my last ten years is as follows: I am a single parent to a 14 year old boy with ASD. I love him to bits, he is my whole world, but causes me a great deal of stress and worry too We have been living in a flat for the last 10 years and I have worked hard to clear my mortgage on it. In March this year we finally moved into a small house, which is lovely, and near my Mum. My brother lent me 30k to help get the house which is my 'debt' that I am paying back. The monthly budgets are stupidly tight, partly as I want to get it paid asap even though he is in no hurry for it back.

Looking further ahead ds is in year ten so only has 18 months until his GCSE's. After this he wants to do an apprenticeship which, from a financial point of view, means my child benefit, tax credits and child maintenance will stop , meaning a drop in total income from approx 1900 to approx 1200 So, this year could potentially be my last one with this extra income, so I need to maximise the potential ...

My next post will list my SOA and my plans for 2018, please stick around for the ride, all help, support and thoughts are appreciated and very much welcome
    Mortgage Total: 75,000 70,957 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: 14,341 / 30,000
    2018 Fund 560
Page 29
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 18, 8:33 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,268 Thanks
    beanielou
    Time to look for another job?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 6th Oct 18, 9:54 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Heading that way Beanie but not yet, I need to stay and try to get ds through year 11. I know he is a bit protected while I am still there. Next summer is a different story
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 18, 10:03 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,268 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good point

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 18, 10:59 AM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    This morning is nice and sunny here so the washing is out blowing on the line. I've done the food shopping and have meal planned for the week using stuff from the freezer, so the weeks shopping came to 38 as I needed to buy beef for roast dinner today. Happy with that though

Some housework to do now before I collect ds at 2ish, then an afternoon of footie on the telly
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 18, 5:47 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've decided to do a boosted post on fb - basically I pay 5 and they share it with a few thousand people near me. It's advertising flamingo's new customer loyalty scheme. Basically it's a customer club where you sign up and get a free gift with your first order (currently a Flamingo birthday card, sheet of giftwrap and 2 tags, RRP 4.00). You also get to find out about new products before they're launched, complete product surveys and enjoy other special offers.

So, I've spent 5, let's see if it is a worthwhile way of finding new people interested in the product. I've not got any experience of facebook promotions so will be interesting. I don't get notified when people sign up, I have to wait for the monthly newsletter to tell me if anyone has. Let's see (If any of you on here wanted to join up please click on my username and the link is on there to the website, then click on 'Customer Club')
    Last edited by benbenandme; 07-10-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 8th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So today went well - the work email didn't come back to bite me, it seems they are going to look at how we can restructure a few things

In other news guess who hasn't made the rest of his maintenance payment, so I phoned them up and they are sending a letter out to him today to remind him to pay up or it will go to collect and pay which he won't want to happen. Let's see ...

And in really good news, I've had a message from a local lady with a 40 cards order A really nice unexpected part of my day
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 18, 7:04 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,268 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on school & the card order

***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 13th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    And another week done ... Ds had a meltdown midweek but we've made it to the weekend all in one piece

He is at home this weekend and we're planning a quiet chilled one. He's having his haircut this afternoon and other than that we just have a list of bits and pieces to tick off but nothing major.

So far today I have swept up all the washing and the machine is doing its thing, loaded the dishwasher and put that on, cleaned the bathroom, tidied my bedroom, taken the recycling out, cleaned the kitchen and the floor, put the clean washing away, pinged the windows open to get some fresh air in although it's blowing a hoolie outside so they may get shut again quite quickly.

I've also paid for a couple of stalls at local events that I needed to get booked in. I did have one event cancel on me this week, they had double-booked the hall so it got cancelled Never mind, I still have several others booked in and want to check the diary later and see if I can find a few more.

I haven't heard any more re. the rest of my csa payment yet and I was expecting a quidco chunky payment this week but that hasn't changed to confirmed yet either

No premier league footie on today so I can concentrate on other stuff instead this weekend. One more week to go at school then we get a week off, can't wait
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So yesterday turned out to be quite a productive day, I got three loads of washing done, including ds bedding. I even got the ironing done yesterday too, woohoo!

I won 50 on a 20p slot so that has gone into my brothers fund. Today I need to have a good look at my accounts and do some banking stuff and also have a good sort out of my flamingo cards as they aren't very organised at the minute and I have an event on Wednesday evening so I need them sorted.

The house is pretty tidy at the minute, I do need to go food shopping today. It's already a wet miserable kinda day so will mainly be spent indoors I think.

I need to sort out whats happening at Xmas too - we have suggested stopping buying presents for the adults in the family, just sticking to the kids. My brother wasn't keen but my sister was on board. Then the suggestion was made that we scrap the presents altogether (ds is the youngest kid and he's 15 and is quite happy to stop the presents), and go out for a nice meal or something instead but my sister said her kids would like a present (one is now 18 ). I'm thinking of saying I'll do one family present for my brothers house and one for my sisters house, but generally cut back the value massively as we spend daft amounts, especially considering how much my income is going to be dropping next year. I know it won't go down well but hey ho.
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th Oct 18, 10:58 AM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Back from food shopping, I spent 48 on food and 38 on petrol. Not planning on going out again today - roast lamb later, the heating on, some nice background chilled jazz music and that's my kinda Sunday
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,268 Thanks
    beanielou
    One family present sounds good to me

***Keep plodding***
    • Elljay
    • By Elljay 15th Oct 18, 10:01 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Elljay
    I've decided to do a boosted post on fb - basically I pay 5 and they share it with a few thousand people near me. It's advertising flamingo's new customer loyalty scheme. Basically it's a customer club where you sign up and get a free gift with your first order (currently a Flamingo birthday card, sheet of giftwrap and 2 tags, RRP 4.00). You also get to find out about new products before they're launched, complete product surveys and enjoy other special offers.

So, I've spent 5, let's see if it is a worthwhile way of finding new people interested in the product. I've not got any experience of facebook promotions so will be interesting. I don't get notified when people sign up, I have to wait for the monthly newsletter to tell me if anyone has. Let's see (If any of you on here wanted to join up please click on my username and the link is on there to the website, then click on 'Customer Club')
    Originally posted by benbenandme

I'd be really interested in the outcome of your boosted post. I am a Flamingo Partner too and have been tempted by this!! I will be looking with interest to see how you get on! Good Luck with everything you're doing.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 15th Oct 18, 10:11 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Yey for productive days! I also had one on Saturday. Felt amazing in the evening having completed so much.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    EllJay hi!! Another Flamingo on here, woohoo I had 728 people who "saw" the ad on facebook and 18 of them clicked through to the website. I don't know yet if any signed up for the Customer Club, I think we get a monthly email to let us know?? I'm hoping at least one of them may have done but who knows
    I did have a reply this morning from a care home I contacted over the weekend to say I can go in there next week with my pop-up shop of cards, so I need to arrange a day/time but that's another one to go in the diary
    I also put in an order on friday and had an email today to say it has been sent out already Very impressed with the quick turnaround at the moment
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Oct 18, 5:39 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Drawingaline - yesterday I felt so much better for my productive Saturday although today everything feels a bit meh again, maybe just because it's a monday
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Oct 18, 8:52 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    One more day til half-term - I was so tired tonight so ds and I went out to the pub for dinner as I didn't have the energy to cook.

Last night I went to a local shopping evening with my cards, it wasn't particularly busy but I still took 40 so not so bad
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 19th Oct 18, 6:07 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    And finally it's half-term I am shattered, it's been crazy at work. But now seems the perfect time for a list for the week ahead
    • Change bedding
    • Clear washing mountain
    • Ironing
    • Air in car tyres
    • Windscreen wash filled up
    • Clean car inside and out
    • Paint hallway
    • Banking
    • Mega ebay clearout
    • Sort garden for the winter
    • Get someone round to put up new blinds
    • Tip
    • Gut handbag
    • Call CSA
    • Christmas planning
    • Nieces birthday present
    • Meal plan for the week
    • Deep-clean bathroom
    • Buy photoframe
    • Tidy airing cupboard
    • Sort garage for the winter
    • Sort Skybox
    • Ds homework
    • Buy more rat poison
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Oct 18, 6:25 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,268 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy half term
    You have made it!

***Keep plodding***
    • dangers
    • By dangers 19th Oct 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    dangers
    We’ve still got a week to go until half term. Hey ho!

Have a good one Benben. X
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Oct 18, 9:41 AM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 28,017 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So it's day one of the holidays, ds has gone off to his Dads (who surprise surprise didn't make the remainder of his payment to me yesterday ).

I'm off to have a mooch round the local garden centre and a craft fair this morning (it was fully booked so I couldn't get in but I am going to go and have a browse there instead).

Then it will be a footie afternoon
    2018 Fund 560
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,186Posts Today

9,186Users online

Martin's Twitter