Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 29th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 10,715Posts
    • 28,113Thanks
    benbenandme
    2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle
    • 29th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle 29th Dec 17 at 5:01 PM
    Hello It's that time of year for another new diary ... I'm not a newbie, I've been around these parts for years, never quite knowing whether I should be on here or the Mortgage Free boards, but after much consideration I have decided to return here for my next diary installment.

I have previous chapters of my journey on here, but a brief history of my last ten years is as follows: I am a single parent to a 14 year old boy with ASD. I love him to bits, he is my whole world, but causes me a great deal of stress and worry too We have been living in a flat for the last 10 years and I have worked hard to clear my mortgage on it. In March this year we finally moved into a small house, which is lovely, and near my Mum. My brother lent me 30k to help get the house which is my 'debt' that I am paying back. The monthly budgets are stupidly tight, partly as I want to get it paid asap even though he is in no hurry for it back.

Looking further ahead ds is in year ten so only has 18 months until his GCSE's. After this he wants to do an apprenticeship which, from a financial point of view, means my child benefit, tax credits and child maintenance will stop , meaning a drop in total income from approx 1900 to approx 1200 So, this year could potentially be my last one with this extra income, so I need to maximise the potential ...

My next post will list my SOA and my plans for 2018, please stick around for the ride, all help, support and thoughts are appreciated and very much welcome
    Mortgage Total: 75,000 70,741 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: 15,053 / 30,000
    2018 Fund 560
Page 28
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 9th Sep 18, 6:58 AM
    • 6,923 Posts
    • 44,199 Thanks
    Pooky
    Cloths are your friend at table top sales like that, use the boxes you bring stuff in, upside down, sideways on etc and cover with a cloth. Themes work well too so maybe add some boxes wrapped in Christmas paper to prop up some Christmas cards, a few baubles on the table too. The same for birthday cards with some added streamers or table confetti. Maybe look in charity shops for a few wicker baskets, always great for different shapes and heights.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 9th Sep 18, 7:34 AM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning Pooky, glad I'm not the only one up super early this morning

I posted on facebook last night that I am holding an open house in a couple of weeks - it's a fundraiser for the Alzheimers Society; Flamingo Paperie support three main charities (Alzheimers Society, Macmilland and Short Lives). Lots of people will be holding Macmillan coffee mornings soon but as I will be at work, and as dementia is sadly more relevant for my family, I have chosen to do an event for them instead. So I've invited people to come round, either after school for coffee and cake or later in the evening for wine and nibbles, and 10% of sales on the night will be donated to the Alzheimers Society.

For me this is quite a big thing as I very rarely have people in my home, I'm really quite funny about it, not intentionally it's just how I am. Lots of people that I've invited are work colleagues so it does feel strange thinking they may come round but it'll do me good to get out of my comfort zone a bit, and it also means I need to give the place the clean of it's life Currently 5 have replied, 3 are yes's and 2 maybes

Today I woke up stupidly early, dreaming that ds was going to school tomorrow and his shirts were in the wash Anyway, I got up and have put the washing machine on (did some yesterday), so we will all have lots of clean clothes

I also need to do the food shopping, a trip to the tip with some cardboard boxes and buy my nephew a birthday present. There will probably be some ironing to be done later too
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 9th Sep 18, 8:30 AM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    9 profit on a matched bet
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 10th Sep 18, 4:35 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Another 15 from ebay
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Sep 18, 7:27 AM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    And so it's the weekend again

This week I had a letter from the CSA, they have re-assessed him and he should be paying me another 120 a month Clearly he's had a promotion at some point but not bothered to report it, so has got away with not paying the right amount for a while, (they do't do back payments ). Hopefully I will get the new amount each month without a hitch but let's see

In other news I have organised an open house next friday for my cards - currently I have 13 definites and quite a lot more hopefully. I will be spending this weekend on a mammoth cleaning mission so I don't have too much to do as the week goes on
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 16th Sep 18, 1:14 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    A great result for Bournemouth yesterday
    Today I have been and done the food shopping and treated myself to a new pair of boots for the winter. They were only 28 and I had to return some school shirts that were no good (16) so all in all not too bad

Roast pork today, lots of pottering and housework bits to get on with this afternoon; the car needs cleaning, the drive needs a sweep, the weedkiller needs spraying on the paving slabs ...
    Then indoors the conservatory needs a good clean, the windows and doors need a clean, a hoover through, the kitchen needs blitzing ...

I did do the washing and ironing yesterday though so at least that doesn't need tackling today.

Later on I want to sit down and look at what events I've got booked in for my cards and see how else to promote them online. Never enough hours in the day
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 22nd Sep 18, 3:02 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So last night I had my open house, it went well and I took about 120 but there are several orders still to come in as some people couldn't make it but want to order from the brochures.

Today I have spent trying to fix my laptop (screen has packedup). I've managed to connect it to ds monitor and it works that way but it's not long-term. I've tried everything to fix it but got nowhere so then thought I'd go and buy a replacement. Oh my word .... Now I know everyone says the high street is dying but tbh I'm not surprised - I went to Currys and stood for 20 minutes waiting for someone to help me; having asked 3 people eventually someone came over. I asked for the laptop I wanted and he said I could have the display one, but not until tomorrow .... I said I wanted to take it with me, if I wanted it tomorrow I'd have ordered online ... he said they would have to take it off display and it wouldn't be ready until 4pm tomorrow. I told them to keep it.

Then I went to another town and to Argos and bought one in there. Got it home and it doesn't work. It was a selaed box but once it was on it was locked, having got past that bit it then couldn't find windows .... so a bit later once the football is done I'm heading back to the shops for the third time to try to take it back and to get another one (will have ato be a different one as this one isn't in stock locally either) .... long live the internet

This morning I did manage to finally cash out on Onepoll - it's taken me ages but it's another 40 on it's way I've also sold another item on ebay for 7
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Sep 18, 8:15 PM
    • 57,975 Posts
    • 238,510 Thanks
    beanielou
    You could not make it up.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 22nd Sep 18, 9:38 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So I only managed to fix the new laptop myself before returning it I decided it wouldn't hurt to reset it to factory settings, seeing as it hadn't ever been properly switched on there couldn't be much to lose - and it took an hour and a half but it worked, so I'm now sat in bed typing on my sparkly new laptop feeling very pleased with myself

I do have lots of setting up stuff to do on it to get it to feel like the old one, all my favourites etc, but at least it works
    2018 Fund 560
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 23rd Sep 18, 1:26 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 6,630 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Well done, benben! It's very gratifying to solve a problem and save yourself the inconvenience and delay of returning the laptop.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 28th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So it's Friday and another week done This weekend we literally have no plans which is lovely. There will be the usual washing / ironing / housework routine but other than that it will mainly be spent chilling.

I do need to do the end of month banking stuff, I also had a new card order arrive today so will be sorting through them and finalising the figures for this month.

I must catch up on surveys as they have gone to pot recently, I need to pay for a couple of events i have booked in and generally get on top of bits and pieces again ready to start a new month
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 29th Sep 18, 10:48 AM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So I managed a nice lie-in this morning then have got on and been pottering. Bedding has been stripped and is in the washing machine now, dishwasher emptied and reloaded, card orders sorted, clean washing folded and put away, lounge made semi-tidy.

The rest of the weekend will include the thrills of:
    • Clearing washing pile
    • Ironing
    • Paying in a cheque
    • Cutting Mums grass
    • Batch cooking
    • End of month banking
    • Cleaning out the car
    • Ds revision planning
    • Trying to fix the tv yet again
    • Sorting diary for Flamingo events
    • Sorting paperwork pile
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 29th Sep 18, 1:24 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ahh fixed the telly

Second load of washing is flapping about on the line, lunch has been eaten, now I might sort the end of month banking stuff
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 30th Sep 18, 12:19 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Money all moved to the relevant places ready for the new month, food shopping done for the week ahead - I spent 55 but only bought a chicken, all other meals are from the freezer. It is rammed full of food and I really need to use some of it up. I have so many packs of mince in there, I'm getting good at buying bargain reduced stuff and freezing it, but now I need to use some of it Yesterday I made a shepherds pie with one lot of mince, it was delicious, and we had half leftover so that has gone back in the freezer for another day

I am sneezing my head off today, feel okay but want to get on top of this before I feel lousy. Box of tissues bought, honey and lemon at the ready. I don't have the time to be ill

This afternoon will be spent pottering, ironing, sorting things out indoors and planning for October
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    This week I had a letter from the CSA, they have re-assessed him and he should be paying me another 120 a month Clearly he's had a promotion at some point but not bothered to report it, so has got away with not paying the right amount for a while, (they do't do back payments ). Hopefully I will get the new amount each month without a hitch but let's see
    So, today was payment day ....

Surprise surprise he paid the old amount, 120 less than the newly assessed amount.

I text him and he claims to have not received any notification about it changing, he can't afford it, blah blah So tomorrow I'll be back on the phone to the CSA and if they confirm he has received the letter, (which I'm sure he has), then he will have 4 days to pay up or we will be back to the csa, with all their charges Not a shock at all to me or anyone who has seen what a pathetic excuse for a parent he has always been.
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Oct 18, 8:44 PM
    • 57,975 Posts
    • 238,510 Thanks
    beanielou
    Still a bad show

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Oct 18, 6:17 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    40 win on a slot
    2018 Fund 560
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Oct 18, 7:16 PM
    • 57,975 Posts
    • 238,510 Thanks
    beanielou
    40 win on a slot
    Originally posted by benbenandme

Great

***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 6th Oct 18, 5:40 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Another week done, two more to go til half-term. Last night I was so fed up with how work is going at the moment that I have emailed my line manager and my other sort of line manager and told them exactly how I'm feeling. We'll see what the fall out from that is on Monday morning

Today ds went to his Dads and I have done a craft fair with the cards. It started off quite well then the heavens opened. It was an indoor event but it was in a touristy place so the footfall massively dropped. I did take 70 which was okay, I made a little profit after my stall, but it's another step on the road. It felt very different today, people are now looking for Christmas cards. I do have quite a few events booked in this month and next so hopefully we'll see some good money coming in.

I got home in time to keep an eye on the football and what a day - Bournemouth won 4-0 away from home

I've had dinner already (missed lunch). I had leftover homemade lasagne from last night and it was lovely I made it last night, ds and I had some, I put three portions in the freezer and absolutely loved the portion I had today too

So the heating is on, hot water is on for my bath, decent night on the telly and I can't wait to watch Match of the Day
    2018 Fund 560
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 6th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 10,715 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    benbenandme
    15 on a cheeky bet
    2018 Fund 560
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,718Posts Today

9,696Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin