Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7,382Posts
    • 55,614Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 22
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 13th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 18,512 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    So sorry Sashanut. When my last pup got to the end of her life, it was sad but not unexpected. I can!!!8217;t imagine how I!!!8217;d have felt if she was so suddenly taken from me this way.

My laptop is having issues so my posts might be few and far between, but I am still in the game. (I!!!8217;m thankful for my smartphone and xbox so I can still get connected to the internet!)
    I may need to buy a new laptop, but will take it to the shop to see if its recoverable first. It won!!!8217;t load up so there!!!8217;s a problem somewhere, not sure if its hardware or software yet.
    Since my old laptop died I!!!8217;ve gotten into the habit of a weekly backup, so only lost my budget updates since Sunday.

Had a PT session & a short run today. Also a NSD
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 7.8 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 7,382 Posts
    • 55,614 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Unabashed devotion question 6
    Are you defined by what you do?

(am giggling in anticipation of furtive f0xh0les' potential answer...)
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 13th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,202 Thanks
    laurenh1
    hi all

just checking in.

janus- looking forward- bought DS his first bday present today for April. starting to consider what we are going to do for it & shopping about for his gifts.
    activity- nothing much today. back on it mon.
    non negotiable- did my meal plan, budgets still the same although I did spend money today but out of another budget. hoping I can still get somewhere near 18NSDs although im only on 4 so far.
    unabashed devotion- still in budget & working hard to keep it like that.
    always plan- took my lunch on my shopping trip ha
    reuse, re cycle, repair- making plans to use our membership cards as much as possible this year.
    you- long bath with my fave programme tonight

hope all are doing ok!
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 25,413 Thanks
    mothernerd
    So tired today. Tidied until about 4am and just cannot get going (at least thing have stopped hurting). Lots of decisions made, lots still to do but read something that said "If you can only crawl, start crawling" so that is what I shall do. Going to go for a walk as I have not been outside today and not had a bath, so have something to look forward to.

Read lots of bits that are helping me understand my relationship to my clutter (still trying to save the world, including paperclips and other people's discards).

A NSD.

Today I am grateful for my bed, easy food and feeeling happy - I will do this, it will be sorted.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jun #1 SFD 8/10 Food £116.70/£120 Travel 14.50/£15 Ent/diy £15/£30 may buy clothes?
    No Debt No mortgage
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 12,329 Thanks
    f0xh0les

Originally posted by apple muncher
    Nobody in my house has any idea of half the things I get up to.

(DH has not even noticed I have painted our bedroom walls yet- it has only been 4 days)

I think I am more annoyed by what I don't do, and have recently been more aware of what I am getting done. I refuse to be defined by what I have not got around to yet. That is what lists are for.

I feel like one day soon, there will be a ta-dah moment and they will realise the most amazing thing about me is not my ability to whip up a feast at a moments notice, or pull a chocolate cake out of my (insert whatever 3 letter word you fancy), it is probably that I haven't poisoned the lot of them for being such lazy toads.

Being at home, and being primary carer (I hate that term) the designated adult (nearly as bad) is totally not who I am, but every time I go out the front door I feel like I am in disguise as dizzy hippy mum.

When really I have a stiletto hidden in my converse/perverse boots and a garrote in my underwire.

Right , off to iron my cloak and twirl my moustache.
    Tomorrow is another day.....
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    June 105,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 13th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I think I am more annoyed by what I don't do, and have recently been more aware of what I am getting done. I refuse to be defined by what I have not got around to yet. That is what lists are for.

I feel like one day soon, there will be a ta-dah moment and they will realise the most amazing thing about me is not my ability to whip up a feast at a moments notice, or pull a chocolate cake out of my (insert whatever 3 letter word you fancy), it is probably that I haven't poisoned the lot of them for being such lazy toads.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Mmmmm. I don!!!8217;t have children, but that it sooo me. Particularly about being more annoyed by what I don!!!8217;t do.

This months challenge updates being one of them So here I go:

NSD!!!8217;s - zero. But only 1 day of Fat spends. All other spends are well within budget.

Done my charity donation. Lots of Christmas excess!!!8217; donated.

Meal planning done. Sticking to shopping lists.

I!!!8217;ve been very good this week - gym or a hike every day. I!!!8217;ve started doing a 3 minute morning and evening routine of gratitude and planning. I!!!8217;m not really into the !!!8216;zone!!!8217; with it yet, but it is meaning I can appreciate what I HAVE achieved every day.

Mentally I!!!8217;m still a bit all over the place. We now have a date for my cousin!!!8217;s funeral, but I still haven!!!8217;t heard about my visa so may have wasted a HUGE amount of money by being careless. That is going to be hard to get past.

I!!!8217;ve put a lot of things on e-bay and am doing OK. It!!!8217;s a few things I won!!!8217;t have to pack anyway.

Going to try and post more next week - DH goes back to work so I will have a couple of extra hours a day (we!!!8217;ve been enjoying 0730 lie ins)

ETA: So sorry to hear about the cats. They are so much part of the family.
    Last edited by FurryBeastOz; 13-01-2018 at 9:56 PM.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 13th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Hugs for the people who have lost their cats.

Another at home day. A NSD as well.
    Made a roast chicken and lots of veg. Too many really.Bubble and squeek anyone.
    Chicken will last a few days as well.
    Got rid of a lot of stuff.Mainly in recycling bin. AAA lot of bits on ebay as well.
    Clutter is going down bit by bit.
    That was it!

ilovetea xx
    #10 Make £2018 in 2018. £743.27
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 13th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 3,683 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    I need eBay motivation...
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 13th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Evening all! Still struggling a bit on a phone with a broken screen to update, but am reading avidly!
    Janus: had some useful discussions with my boss last week re opportunities that might open/close up. Helpful to know I might not need to leave org in order to keep current salary when this project ends. Always good to have options! Thinking hard about some family situations too and what they might mean.
    Activityn days when I've hit my 10,000 steps I've felt better in lots of ways.. A few slob days though that crept in. Going to try harder next week despite lots of travel for work
    Non-negotiables: need to calculate NSDs properly tomorrow. Am very conscious about spends though. Thanks to the challenge.
    Foodbank: done
    Pay to bills firstn this. Have settled a couple of personal debts this week, where a friend had done something for me, maintenance with ex etc. Have made good inroads into getting extra income, exceeded my 10/day target thanks to a couple of longer staying guests. Need to do this as house will be out of action for a few weeks soon while a building project takes place (I hope. Proving a bit of a nightmare to tie builder to dates!)
    Meal plan: am doing this! Pasta mountain remains but am chipping away at it. Have just purchased a bargain of a three tier steamer pot in a closing down sale, with a voucher as well. So I'm trying to fuel-plan as well and reduce my use of the oven / hob a bit. Cooked a few portions of mac and cheese and cauliflower cheese tonight (in steamer to start) then in oven when guests were doing their dinner, to make use of the heat.
    Unshakeablem here!
    Always: doing better than usual here. Use JL voucher for coffee and cake out today. Get my fill of coffee shops when away on work expenses.
    Re.. - am enjoying reading more, via kindle unlimited. Renewed library card online today, exploring moving toward that instead. Miss real books, but kindle on phone is so handy for travel! Re gifted a couple of Xmas presents via DD, so saved her cash more than mine!
    You! Me! Have made an effort to get in touch with friends I don't see much and have loved online chatter with them. Treated myself to home manicure... Really badly.... This week.. Going to try that again tomorrow! Am slowing down a bit more in my own time, and just trying to notice things, and to enjoy. I did a free guided walk while I was in town today, really enjoyed it! Mothernerds new bookcase/cupboard/shelves have inspired me to get on with a small project at home that will really help me bit which needs one furniture purchase. Some research done today!
    Love to all turtles. Keep swimming. Paddling. And crawling!
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 25,413 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Nobody in my house has any idea of half the things I get up to.

(DH has not even noticed I have painted our bedroom walls yet- it has only been 4 days)

Being at home, and being primary carer (I hate that term) the designated adult (nearly as bad) is totally not who I am, but every time I go out the front door I feel like I am in disguise as dizzy hippy mum.

When really I have a stiletto hidden in my converse/perverse boots and a garrote in my underwire.

Right , off to iron my cloak and twirl my moustache.
    Tomorrow is another day.....
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    I bought a eucalyptus tree and planted it in the corner of the back yard. they are famously fast growing so at the end of each season I cut off the larger/ taller branch (it had two like a fork) and let the other grow the following year. It gave gentle shade and some interest but wasn't overpowering.

After 5 years I decided that it would have to come down as I wouldn't be able to tackle the height safely the following year. I cut the 2 branches and then the trunk, leaving me with 3 long pieces between 8' and 10' long - the boys wanted to know where it had come from and would not believe it had been growing for 5 years.

Hugs to everyone who has ever lost a cat.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jun #1 SFD 8/10 Food £116.70/£120 Travel 14.50/£15 Ent/diy £15/£30 may buy clothes?
    No Debt No mortgage
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 14th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    DancingDragons

Originally posted by apple muncher
    Oh now there's a loaded question, I'll answer from my perspective because to everyone else I am something else. So in that fashion yes.

I hate those chains of definition we all operate in and with. IE "That person's successful because of job they hold/moneytheyhave/thingsthey'veachieved. They are hard to break free from - they are everywhere in everything we watch, read and do. I have moments where I deliberately do something to prove this percepted idea of me wrong. (Decorate a room in a day, organise a street party, build a bed) It's these times that I am reminded that I myself often limit my actions to the box others put me in.

Lost a NSD yesterday, due to plumber finally (prechristmas ?) attending to fix the bath plug leak. Not sure it's fixed, but DD1 does tend to get water everywhere when she showers.

Today is supposed to be an NSD. DD1 thinks I am going to by BDay present for her friend. She has money... I'm not wrong in assigning her this task am I?
    DH's mood and patience is being stretched by Dry Jan. He's taken to disappearing to bed at 8pm. Now I want to use the time I have to do something, that doesn't disturb him, or DD2 (asleep).

I need to sort out the week after next's food plan - the aim will be to live out of what's in.
    Reading: Yup.
    Activity: 12,000 steps yesterday. Swimming with the family today.
    Packed lunches - taking with us today, and yesterday.
    Declutter: Ancient library books returned.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    2018 Foolish April Ninja #33 | NSD 8/16 |
    I can do this! Debt: 11,989.29 11,189.29 goal DFD June 2020
    -34lb to 2019. Lost 7lb, <-stalled
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 14th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,202 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

Janus- started a savings pot for new furniture & a laptop, nothing in them ha but all in the yearly goals
    activity- not gonna get chance to go reduced shopping this week as hub is working late but gonna go running tomorrow & will be back YS shopping again the week after.
    non negotiables- meal plan done, Today is NSD #5 & budgets are as follows-
    savings-
    1800 paris (2,500 by feb)
    500 lapland UK
    955 emergency fund (1000 by feb) once this is at 1k I will start saving for sons new bed. I have also made a list of the few bits out boys need for their hols, I will pick bits up as I go along.
    100 in xmas 18fund
    general- 15 left until 26th genuinely not worried though maybe I should be lol my cupboards are busting so it's only fruit veg & milk I will need
    unabashed- here I am
    always plan- making packed lunch for swimming lessons
    reduce, reuse, repair- re using my beamish card on Saturday as we are in the area anyway. my goal is to use it at least 5x this year, So that makes it 2
    you- relaxed & happy after a week with my boys
    s t r e t c h - got lots of eggs to use . if any one has any good suggestions, I know all the usual egg on toast, pancakes, sandwiches etc but always happy to get more unusal recipe ideas !!!128524;
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 12,329 Thanks
    f0xh0les

DH's mood and patience is being stretched by Dry Jan. He's taken to disappearing to bed at 8pm. Now I want to use the time I have to do something, that doesn't disturb him, or DD2 (asleep).
    Originally posted by DancingDragons
    I saw a Dr on tv last week, who said it was really important for EVERYBODY to do Dry January, because for most people it will be a minor inconvenience as you get into the habit of having a drink in the evening and it is not good for you, but most importantly,for those who really struggle, or can't go 31 days without a drink, because it lets you know you have a problem.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    June 105,999.99
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 12,329 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    s t r e t c h - got lots of eggs to use . if any one has any good suggestions, I know all the usual egg on toast, pancakes, sandwiches etc but always happy to get more unusal recipe ideas !!!128524;
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    Dodgy vegan might not be the best placed to answer, but off the top of my head, quiche always went down well, be it crustless or pastry based, frittatta, which I believe was called spanish omelette in the 1980s, portuguese custard tarts or home made ice-cream with the yolks and meringue with the whites. Apparently you can freeze meringue for up to a month in an airtight container. Who knew there was even such a thing as too much meringue!

Mr Ms is selling a Wonky red berry frozen mix for smoothies (how can a berry destined to be whizzed be considered wonky?) - cheap Eton Mess
    June 105,999.99
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 35,841 Thanks
    dolly84
    Morning all.

Spent £2 yesterday on unavoidable school supplies for DD, she has mock exams this week and needed pens and a clear pencil case. We checked the charity shops in our area for the pencil case to no avail, this buying nothing new thing is already hard, it would be so easy if it was just me or me and DH.

I'm going to make seeded bread rolls for school lunch boxes this morning, lunch is from stores and tea is M&S dine in which will be padded out to serve 3 plus something else for veggie DD, we used vouchers to pay for the dine in so no spend there.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 12,734 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hi Everyone
    Sorry for not posting for a few days. Been mega busy! Up to nine NSDs now.
    Off first thing tomorrow morning so posting will be sporadic but I'll try to read what you've all been up to. Just having a coffee and will catch up on the forum.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 14th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Morning all.

Spent £2 yesterday on unavoidable school supplies for DD, she has mock exams this week and needed pens and a clear pencil case. We checked the charity shops in our area for the pencil case to no avail,
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Would a resealable plastic bag not do?
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    • missyv30
    • By missyv30 14th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    missyv30
    Hi just wondering if I can join in for February I know itís to late for this month but need to get back into clearing the debt and this forum really helped me last time !!!128522;

Debt as of Jan 17 £32990.71:
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,519 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    So sorry to read of everyone's losses. Lots of love and hugs to all.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 35,841 Thanks
    dolly84
    Would a resealable plastic bag not do?
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    You would think so wouldn't you and it would for me but not for DD. I've told her to look after it for all her exams as I won't buy another.

Collected our new to us bed frame today and have assembled it this afternoon, it is lovely. I took photos of the old one for selling and that is now in the garage in bits.

No other money spent today.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter