Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7,376Posts
    • 55,579Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: 2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage 21,033 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 19
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 10th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Quick update.

Today has been a NSD & I dropped off the food bank donations.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 10th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 26,001 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hugs EE, hope you, OH and family are ok.

Welcome back NSK I feel the pressure to be good again!

Spend day as went to slimming world and paid my fee. I also bought a last minute train ticket to London for Saturday. One of my oldest and bestest friends had her first baby on Monday and she!!!8217;s feeling scared and overwhelmed having brought her home today. Her family aren!!!8217;t anywhere nearby and aren!!!8217;t visit for a couple of weeks! She has a lovely husband but she!!!8217;s usually the one who sorts everything. She asked when I could visit and was delighted that I could come on Saturday which is my first day off work. It!!!8217;ll blow the budget but I!!!8217;ll try recoup it the rest of the month. 55 for the train, then I!!!8217;ll need tube travel for the day and car parking at the station but I want to be with her and I think it!!!8217;s important.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = 13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt 0/19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 10th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    It is important Fmess, and it will always be special for her that you visit now! I was in a similar position with my DD and 16 years on now I still cherish her early visitors who helped me feel 'I wasn't going crazy, it is totally surreal' and puzzled with me over how this beautiful loud new alien being operated!

NSD yesterday, not a NSD today - had to purchase a few bits for paying guests, supplemented by YS fruit/chocolate/trifle sponges (my guilty pleasure which I usually indulge in around Xmas time only. Hate trifles, love snacking on trifle sponges!). Also withdrew a tenner to pay back a friend for something, managed to scoop up the rest of what was needed in shrapnel.

Have had a little flurry of bookings from paying guests which will help with frugal January. House needs to pay its way if I'm going to tackle a bit more building work soon. Mixed blessing though... It's kind of nice when it's just us here! I want more of that time. Sure it will be OK when they arrive, like many things it's often worse in anticipation, and I do enjoy doing it really! Having sorted a lot of stuff over Xmas it should be reasonably easy to prep the rooms. First guest arrived tonight. Easy!
    Up super early tomorrow to clean ahead of work ahead of a work trip in the evening with big boss. So won't loiter but will catch up with all news 2mrw from posh hotel room (maxing out their hot water, toiletries etc!).
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 10th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 27,334 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Eager_Elephant sorry to hear about your loss.

foxholes what a lovely deed.

I just started running again and am back down to barely managing 2mi without walking inbetween. Biking and swimming is ok but my running fitness drops incredibly fast after a break.

Busy night. Ragu in slow cooker, chicken pie prepared. Kitchen and bathroom cleaned, hoovered. Tried to mend the kids winter hats but they just disintegrated. So in the bin they went.

Have adjust my SFDs down as i lost one today. Forgot to buy DS new plimsoles for PE yesterday and picked up a couple of YS items including a indoor mini rosebush to cheer me up.
    NST June
    SFD 10/20 spends 677/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 10th Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    EE, didn't want to read and run, I'm sorry for your loss. Do take care.
    NSK! Welcome back to the nest of turtles.. Mothernerd we're all standing ready, apple is already whipping us into shape by posing all these searching questions! X
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 10th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 26,218 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Ilovetea LOL to no temptation because of the sizes...I daren't buy any clothes but the books & other handy bits...my downfall. Although, I do take the books back once read now...

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. Slow progress but small steps.. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. Decided to curate & catalogue a collection that we have, that needs info written down so that whoever had to sort it knows what it is - did some more of the TV knitting stuff, funnily enough whilst watching TV

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Active all morning packing & sorting stuff, in the garden in the afternoon for a while.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) 5/18

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say 250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. Filling in book with receipts, found most of them. Kept receipts from shopping, will fill in book later. Still to do..

-5 to foodbank / charity Finally managed to do this!

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Will be prepping to start selling some of this stuff ASAP.

-meal plan Lunch was HM pea & ham soup using the last of the cooked gammon joint. Supper (chosen by DD after an away overnight stay & a fair bit to drink) was French bread pizza & chips, all from stores, plus black forest trifle..

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later] Do not exercise as was - like many people - put off at school. And I was also rubbish! Put off swimming by being pushed into the deep end (by the swimming teacher!) which instead of having the desired effect of getting me swimming, actually nearly drowned me..

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through. Now have 2 books on the go..

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family In garden for only about half an hour today. Making a difference in the greenhouse, which was dire. Aim to get some seeds in this week. Thriftylass I have not yet decided what seeds - usually I wait until much later as it's so cold here in the north, also depends what seeds I have/still viable/not eaten by rodents. Thought of some flowers (sweet peas?), chillis, toms & beans maybe..

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.NO sign yet of said shoe but will keep identifying items to sell. Have realised that we have a ton of food still to eat, that's before we start on the 2 chest freezers (& little one inside fridge). There's only 2 of us (but often 3)..

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 11th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    mummylewis
    I'm so very sorry for your loss E_E. My prayers are with you and your family.

Just a quick update from me, just climbed in bed silently as I've just got in from work. Tiring night tonight but it should be worth it tomorrow when my boss gives our bigger bosses a good impression of our venue.

It was a super spendy day so we remain on 6 NSDs. Did the weekly food shop (made a meal plan and stuck to a list! Although rookie error, should have fed DH before we went, he wanted every biscuit and chocolate bar in sight!!) Also got my Costco top ups and a few bits for DD. Foresee at least 4 NSDs now providing I don't run out of milk! (Does petrol ruin an NSD?)

Will check in tomorrow, night turtles!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 27,334 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Morning,

mummylewis , depends, need to ask the boss. But i would see petrol like bus fares or clubs, recurrent spends that can't be avoided or you could make an envelope at the start of the month with the budgeted money in? Some take it very serious (older challenges had it as a rule), to run on fumes to the next SD as an incentive to drive more economically. Not entirely sure, in my case DH pays and is not part of this
    NST June
    SFD 10/20 spends 677/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Jan 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 12,322 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    EE - sorry for your loss

NSK - welcome back!

Right, let's try this again.

Today will be NSD 7

Planned and prepped, I think.

How do I approach my goals?
    I kind of sneak up on them and attack, and then retreat behind a bush, then leap on them when they think they can get away. I am surrounded by saboteurs. But I know where they are, and their MO. I get things done while they are out of the way, or things won't get done. Oooh, yes, Furtively. I approach my goals furtively.
    MFW START DATE May 16 118,340 : Oct17 - 109,495.00Dec17 108,800Jan 18 108,392.98 March 18 108,504.72April 108,099May 106,999
    June 105,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub 105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 55,579 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Fuel does not lose you an nsd. Don't want you stranded in the middle of nowhere!
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: 2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage 21,033 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 35,835 Thanks
    dolly84
    E_E - sorry to hear your news.

Lauralozzle - have a look online at the price of your dog tablets, if they are a regular purchase you may be able to get them much cheaper. The vets totally rip you off, they have a massive mark up.

Did a grocery shop last night, did quite well with YS items, if we had gone later a lot of things would have probably been reduced again but I was happy with what I got. Booked a holiday last night and paid the deposit, we have the money already for it and the balance, we holiday in the UK so not a massive spend but it is quite pricey still. I am going to purchase a rail card today as we plan to go to Edinburgh by train this year and the saving using the card is big.

My ebay buyer paid plus I have another item ending today which has a bid. I am going to use the money to buy an Eco Egg, which is an egg shaped thing with beads in it which you use in place of laundry detergent, much better for the environment and one more step towards our low waste lifestyle. I am also going to buy a tea strainer so we can switch to loose leaf tea instead of teabags, even though the bags are made with paper they have plastic fibres in which do not compost or break down.
    Total Debt 01/14 13043.00, now 0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 35,835 Thanks
    dolly84
    Eager_Elephant sorry to hear about your loss.

foxholes what a lovely deed.

I just started running again and am back down to barely managing 2mi without walking inbetween. Biking and swimming is ok but my running fitness drops incredibly fast after a break.

Busy night. Ragu in slow cooker, chicken pie prepared. Kitchen and bathroom cleaned, hoovered. Tried to mend the kids winter hats but they just disintegrated. So in the bin they went.

Have adjust my SFDs down as i lost one today. Forgot to buy DS new plimsoles for PE yesterday and picked up a couple of YS items including a indoor mini rosebush to cheer me up.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    You've made me feel so much better. Before Christmas I was running the best I ever have and then I had that horrible flu virus and now it is so hard again, if I don't run several times a week I seem to go right back just like you but at least I know now that it's not just me
    Total Debt 01/14 13043.00, now 0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    Florence J
    Sorry I haven't been around much. I started a new job on the second and then came down with sickness this week so it's been a rough 11 days. It coincided with my time of the month and I suffer from Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. My symptoms have been lessened recently but they came back with a bang this week. All in all I haven't been feeling great.

Feeling more positive now and the good thing about being ill is there have been lots of NSDs.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = 2195.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (3168.45/3000)
    February 2018 Credit Card Debt: 3885
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 11th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening everyone!!!

Firstly...

NSK!!! How did I miss you! I think I must have been reading through in zombie-state! How are you?!?! It will be awesome to have you back next month

Today = NSD number 9

I came this close to spending today. I have a shopping list and am out of a lot of things like bread and eggs and fresh vegetables. Then I thought no. I have frozen veg in, frozen fish, bagged rice, an unopened pack of bacon expiring today. What am I thinking?!?! So... bacon and some salmon cooked. I'm going to rice and frozen veg with fish, and will make a rice/bacon/pea combo too, and have it cold. Have a few raspberries and blueberries I might even chuck in.

Today I am grateful for:
    • An opportunity to work extra hours
    • A good work ethic (today anyway!!!)
    • Annual leave!!! Starting today!
    Have a good evening folks.
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = 6046.13. EF = 2500/4500
    NST : NSD=0/18 : Food & Spends=0/200.00
    Exercise : Joe Wicks 90 Day SSS Plan!
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    lcc86
    Just checking in to report progress - am up to 10/20 NSD's somehow already! and 9/20 healthy days. Overall budget is looking good too, although funds are a bit tight this month I don't have an awful lot of expenditure so it's alright.

Got rid of my sofa from the basement yesterday so I can tidy up down there at the weekend. There isn't loads of stuff but it needs some sort of order! Perhaps a few more bits for the charity shop while I'm at it.

Also tried kickboxing for the first time yesterday. I walked in and felt so intimidated that I almost left. I don't know how to describe it, I'm not a massively social person, I can cope with being at the gym around other people but actively exercising with them in such a close way really frightens me! Give me half a tonne of horse to push around and I'm fine but sparring with a few humans is another story altogether but I persisted and really enjoyed it, so will go back next week I think. Not sure I'll go on a weekly basis but it was fun.

Work has also been good, moving in a really positive direction. I really lost motivation towards the end of last year so I've forced myself to get back into it and I'm enjoying it, so I don't know what the reason for the mental block was tbh.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    1117/1000 EF 538 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 11th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 22,774 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD - 7/18
    Did not venture out today.
    Grateful for:
    Chilled out day/evening.
    Buddybox which I ordered from a mental health support organisation.
    Small bit of exercise in the flat as I did not go out.
    Did a few things in the flat and a little bit of decluttering.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST June 2018 A June Odessey(Staycation) NSD 13/20
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    NSD today so I!!!8217;m at 6/18. Not sure if I!!!8217;ll make it tomorrow as I!!!8217;m undecided whether I should celebrate a colleagues birthday after work.

I!!!8217;ll look into tablets online, if I can get them cheaper it!!!8217;ll be worth it.

Not much to report today, other than I!!!8217;m glad it!!!8217;s Friday tomorrow! This has felt like a long tough week.
    Credit Card 1: 0.00 (0%) | Credit Card 2: 1,951.50 (0%) | Credit Card 3: 764.20 (0%) Car Finance: 7,491 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: 110,794 (2.79% APR) | Emergency Fund: 69.68/1000 | Honeymoon Fund: 1,042
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 12,696 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Just checking in. Haven't done much today. Bought a few things that we need for going away but apart from that nothing much. Going to get some currency tomorrow and C is taking me for lunch as I haven't really celebrated my birthday. We're going to one of our favourite places and, just by chance, I got a voucher this morning for a second main course for a 1.00. Don't feel quite so bad about going now. Do you start to feel guilty when someone is spending money on you?
    [B]EE[/B - Sorry to hear your news.
    Kat] - Lovely to "meet" you. Have heard all about you and am full or admiration.

And just by chance I
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 11th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Thank you! Glad fuel is an exception!
    I'll probably need to top up the tank this weekend.

Checking in earlier today, got about 5 hours sleep after work as I had to get up with DD so DH could go to work. NSD which puts me on #7.

Miserable day so me and DD have stayed in. She's had a long nap which has been awesome as I've got the first layer of white wash on her new room. Ceiling and all.
    Also done laundry, drying, putting away, tidying. And had a shower and washed hair ready for work tomorrow.
    Feel like it's about 10pm!

Dinner is prepped and ready for the oven, lasagne tonight!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 11th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    E-E So sorry for your loss.
    Raphael, I envy your 10k. Its something both I and DD1 want to get into - and something we are both very good at finding excuses not to. :/
    Dolly - Railcard saves me so much, I don't know what I'd do without out it sometimes. Can you let me know where you get your loose leaf tea from. I've had a strainer for yonks but can only find artsy tea sellers.

Last few days have been as drab as the weather. Who or what ate the sun?!
    Kids have been eating fruit like chocolate, so stupid me has been going out and buying more, plus missing bits for meals (shameful planning!). Firmly claimed back an NSD today though, should have done the main shop.
    Declutter: Out with broken boxes, unwanted tat, and batteries to recycling.
    Activity: Got a bit of walking in yesterday and made it to a Pilates class today. Enjoyed it more than gym, and it felt like a proper work out. I'll be back for more of that.
    -Lost 5lb this week, I'm not actually going to a group or anything, just getting back to basics. I'll worry if next weeks drop is as big.
    Reading: Yup.
    Gratitudes: Discovering a class that isn't over subscribed.
    Every day is a new day, no matter how many NSD's you've lost
    Last edited by DancingDragons; 11-01-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    2018 Foolish April Ninja #33 | NSD 8/16 |
    I can do this! Debt: 11,989.29 11,189.29 goal DFD June 2020
    -34lb to 2019. Lost 7lb, <-stalled
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin