Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7,374Posts
    • 55,551Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived
    • 29th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived 29th Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Welcome to January

Make 2018 the year that you rid yourself of debt, beat down the mortgage, get on top of your spendthift ways, learn new skills and set yourself up for the future.

2018: Health, wealth and a Life Well Lived
    (Shamelessly lifted from Craig Ballantyne at earlytorise.com)

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. A new year can be a time to look back over the previous year (but we turtles have already done this in December). So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget
    -meal plan

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens...

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you?

Who is with me for January?

Post your name (not the whole challenge, please) to sign up.

NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 10
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 4th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4,404 Posts
    • 25,232 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    How does playing sport (or going for a walk) make you feel? What do you enjoy about it?
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    I dont partake in any sport, the last time I did any real sport was at school when I did loads and loved it.

I do like walking, I have 2 dogs so get out twice a day although weekdays are not great as it is dark morning and night, I prefer weekends when we can go on long walks and I can enjoy the countryside and the fresh air.

Reporting in another NSD, did buy some medical stuff but obviously that doesn't count. (DH still ill with his cough but also faints, has nosebleeds (very severe so it looks like a murder has been committed) and is generally really ill so back to the doctor again)
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 17 for June
    NSD - 8/20
    (up to 16/6/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 4th Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 8,735 Thanks
    Chloris
    I find repetitive actions to be very relaxing and meditative, whether it's walking, swimming , knitting, even ironing! But I do like fresh air and movement, solitary actions rather than competition. A brisk walk always gets me out of a funk.

Nsd 3/18. Pleased with this!
    Drawn/painted 3/4 days. Read everyday. Walked daily. Swam yesterday. Housework done. Work done. Meal plan stuck to. So all on target. I've also dropped some bits at the charity shop and dug an item out to sell on facebook. Never tried before but thought I should, over thinking it! I also requested a refund for an item not delivered correctly, and am due an unexpected refund on a meal out which has been cancelled. Its all money I've spent, but it's coming back so i think it qualifies as a stretch!
    Grocery shop done with an eye on the budget, good but could do better.
    Right, I'm off to read.
    Thanks for the inspiration and motivation.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 4th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 19,605 Thanks
    misstara
    How does playing sport (or going for a walk) make you feel? What do you enjoy about it?
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    I love running especially outside. It's not just about getting fit, I also find it's a great way of destressing and getting time to think as well as experiencing nature. Unfortunately due to my health at the moment, I haven't been able to do much running but hopefully will get back into it soon.

NSD 3/18 today for me
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £0/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target £93.68/£175. NSD target 7/20.
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 4th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Ooops thought I 'd posted yesterday but seems I didn't.
    Nothing much happening. 4 NSD now. Mr.T. came yesterday Total about £55. Not sure of exact amount as some things were sent back.
    Keeping up with any surveys also sending for freebies,but only if they will be useful. Don't need any clutter about.

I detested sport at schooland still do. Any body know of any good exercises for an old lady with very stiff joints?

ilovetea xx
    #10 Make £2018 in 2018. £743.27
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 4th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hope you've all had a great day.

Failed miserably at YS shopping but did go running. might go YS shopping tomorrow but if not, I am still happy with how much I have managed to get reduced this week. Need to keep it up

Read my son another unread book for reduce, reuse and repair. Going to change my handbag over for same reason tomorrow. Trying to get more use from things I already own.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 4th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 26,001 Thanks
    Fmess
    Happy birthday raphael , hope you!!!8217;ve had a lovely day.

SFD number 3 here.

I love walking, especially with a well behaved dog and I like to go to exercise classes or for a swim but I haven!!!8217;t been to either for nearly 6 months. I!!!8217;d like to go with a friend but there!!!8217;s no one else to commit to it, all my friends either have families so find it hard to commit or already have sport planned into their lives. I think that!!!8217;s why I enjoy walking as it!!!8217;s so flexible, I can just get up and go whenever I like and whenever I!!!8217;m motivated
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 4th Jan 18, 10:44 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 27,334 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Well slight change of plan. DH overspend on Christmas and had to borrow money (gave in as it was first time in months). Luckily hadn't transferred extra money to CC yet. Reduced that to 100. Rest of month will now be super tight till i get money back.
    NST June
    SFD 10/20 spends 677/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 4th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 26,217 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Back a bit better so have held off making appt..should also save the cost if it gets better on its own, although physio v reasonable..

Janus So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I would like to have the house much clearer. 5 years? House completely clear & clutter free, DD settled in her own home. 10 years? Spending half the year in Ireland, half here

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. No knitting done today as out & about most of it

ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Only moving was around the shops, dodging the showers

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) 2/18 NSD today. Still on 2, did some shopping today although did use vouchers in one shop so spend was only 50p there..will not be an NSD tomorrow either as hair appt..

-your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. Nearly - think I will say £250 for us & all animals, should not need near this amount so all saved will go to another project. More shopping today, not a lot but some. Need to total & make self responsible.

-£5 to foodbank / charity Will do this week. Tried to purchase something from charity, held up by website, will investigate. Still ongoing

-pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget Do not have debt but have a cc paid off in full each month, which gives vouchers I use at Christmas. Has been a v spendy month, will cut down as much as possible. Still a WIP

-meal plan Had soup as planned but made something else for supper, still used mostly ingredients from stores & garden. But do need to sort out fridges, hampered by inability to bend down to clear stuff. General bin is due to be emptied tomorrow, not done since before Christmas so made as much effort as possible

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Making shopping list for tomorrow now, don't work outside the home but do a bit of voluntary work. Deviated a bit from shopping list, but not much, took fruit to work & get free brews..Don't drink coffee & never go in coffee shops..will try & take snacks, drink when out & about..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Got more books from CS to add to the stash but will return once read. Only read when in bed so takes awhile to get through

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Determined to look after myself & pamper a little each week, have already had a face pack yesterday, need to do things for myself instead of being a in constant rush doing stuff for family..No self care today sadly but will make sure it gets done tomorrow - well have hair apt so that's a given

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra can you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove. Plan to eBay lots of stuff, watch this space Nothing done yet

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Or the MFW for 2018? Or the pay off all your debts by xmas18? Does reading mrmoneymustache or frugalwoods inspire you? Have joined Frugalwoods challenge already & will be interested to see how it pans out. Have been on MMM & introduced his philosophy to DH, applied the principles so we are now MF - wish we had done it years ago, wasted so much time/money etc. in the past..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Jan 18, 7:41 AM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 55,551 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I don't 'do sport' as such either, and tend to go for soliary pursuits.

When I am doing a workout (very beginner Bunny Slope ones at the mo), I feel strong and powerful. When I am out walking (I walk 2-4 miles of the journey each day when I work) although it is along roads, I feel relaxed and free and in control.
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 5th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Morning All,

I got to a point where I really enjoyed Netball at school, not that I was good at it. Other girls who were prettier/better at it soon made me feel unwelcome. In hindsight I can see I put plenty of hurdles between me and going to practice. I enjoy swimming, but getting there is a challenge, its on my todo this year though, around the gym and hopefully Yoga. For me its the social aspect of sport that I enjoy most. It brings you together with others who have the same interest. Being social in person really makes a different to the mood.

Yesterday was spendy, and farcical. Took DD2 to the bank to pay in her pocket money. Not having any money bags, I'd counted it all out into food bags. 15 minutes queuing to be turned away and told to re queue. DD2 was not best impressed, and didn't see the point in wasting more time. What a naff way to encourage kids to save. We got there in the end.

I did find the Halifax saver account though I've forgotten who recomended it, sorry, but thank you. I just need to find DD2's BC to open them Added this to my neverending todo, putting money into an account until then.

Had a nosey at The Turner Prize while we were in town as didn't want to spend on parking the day before.

Offered to treat DD2 after we'd done all the shopping if she was good. Gone are the days where you can just go home if they don't keep their side of the bargain. We had a 4 hour wait for a RockUp session, book in advance, and pay in advance £11 for an hour! I shall not be doing that again. I'll stick to early morning bargains!

Car decided to start making alarming squeaks and whines. Thought it might be seized brakes but got worse as the journey went on, sounds like maybe the exhaust is lose. Not part of the spend plan, nor was the MOT alert text. :/

Shifted my spend tally to a monthly just to track easier here.

Petrol £30/ £120
    Shopping 42.78/ £320

Hope everyone has a good day.
    2018 Foolish April Ninja #33 | NSD 8/16 |
    I can do this! Debt: 11,989.29 11,189.29 goal DFD June 2020
    -34lb to 2019. Lost 7lb, <-stalled
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 5th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 27,334 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Morning,

heavy rain here today, so staying in with the kids, tidying, decluttering, gettung Dh clothes ready for the business trip. Making lists, freezer and fridge inventories etc. Should definitely be an SFD.

DancingDragons, in November we smashed the kids' piggy banks. For some reason i assumed the bank would have a counting machine now like Tesco (first time in bank for this in years) and turned up with one big bag. Friendly lady must've been looking for sth to do and counted the £200+ (4 years worth for 2) herself there and then.

Better go and feed the kids
    Last edited by thriftylass; 05-01-2018 at 8:37 AM.
    NST June
    SFD 10/20 spends 677/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 5th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi All-

Janus - still keeping my goals in mind, budgets set, not just for Jan, but for the whole year.

Activity- going YS shopping tonight again.

Non Negotiable- Meal plan done, Today is NSD #5 hoping to make it to 6 by Monday. Budgets are the same as yday,
    Savings - 1800 paris
    Emergency 900

Due 600 pounds which I will break up- 500 for lapland UK and 100 in emergency savings to make it to 1k.

General-
    130 Fuel
    83 spends
    140 C parcs

Unbashed devotion- went running last night, YS shopping again tonight, Made a list of things last night that might crop up through out the year to keep them in mind so I have minimum surprises

Always Plan- Lunches packed.

Reuse, repair, reduce- still concentrating on this, getting the most from what I already have.

You- looking after myself, ran last night, eating healthy.

S T R E T C H - the whole month is a bit of a strech due to my budget
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 35,826 Thanks
    dolly84
    E_E - your poor DH that sounds awful, hope he gets to the bottom of it.

DancingDragons - the banks don't like coins, I've had problems with it before too.

I had a fairly large but planned spend yesterday. Our seating arrangements in the lounge are just not meeting our requirements now, we have a large sofa which has two huge cushions but is actually a 3 seater plus 1 armchair, but there are 4 of us and the kids are big now so 3 on the sofa in the evening is cramped and the one in the middle gets really hot.

I decided we needed another seat so I have bought a very large chair which is almost like a small 2 seater sofa, I bought it second hand from someone 5 minutes up the road from home, it is real leather with a gorgeous velvet seat and scatterback cushions in velvet and damask, getting it home was terrifying, with it perched on top of our trailer held in place with straps and bungee cords and going over the speed bumps. Getting it in the house was difficult too, it is blooming massive - much bigger than I had really anticipated. Anyway I am very pleased, we paid £150 for it, it is only 12 months old and in perfect condition, we got the price down from £200, me and DH used money we were given for Christmas to pay for it.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 12,307 Thanks
    f0xh0les

I did find the Halifax saver account though I've forgotten who recomended it, sorry, but thank you.
    Originally posted by DancingDragons
    T'was I! You are welcome. 4.5% here you come

Today will be a NSD 3 as I am back up my ladder improving my environment and covering myself, and the walls, and ceilings, in paint.

So the kids are banished from the top 2 floors, I might challenge them to make me lunch ( I might get lucky with a sandwich or toastie) but I fear they would let me starve

I told them last night, that by the time I was smallest's age (8) I was left at home from 7.30 until 5.45 and had to get myself to school and back on time, amuse myself, make my own after school snacks etc.

They looked at me like I had just suggested I sell one of their kidneys to fund a luxury cruise (for one).

Now, I know things were different in the late 70/s early 80's, and leaving kids at home alone, (or with a 10 yr old ) was perfectly acceptable, and although I would not do it myself, as my kids are daft, i really wish they would DO more and not just be content to be waited on hand and foot.
    Yeah, I know, I blame the parents. But they can see when I am busy or knackered, tbh, they just don't care.

So (returning to the original premise) I need to start planning in time for me, doing things I actually like doing, not just doing all the stuff that needs to be done. Which is going to involve teamwork, as i could fill my time with doing it all, but it is not making me happy, and it is not good for THEM and their independence. Eldest is 15, second is the youngest 13 yr old I have ever met. And even 10 and 8 yr old could help out more.

So JANUS looking backward and forward. The kids need to start being active members of the household, and not such passive ones. They used to do more, but with moving house 3 x in 18 months and decorating, and selling a house that had to be kept tidy 24/7 for immediate viewings, and buying this one and adapting to it all, i have let them get away with murder. They need to step up.

Right, off to get my ladder.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    June 105,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Nicky Noo Na
    • By Nicky Noo Na 5th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    Nicky Noo Na
    Wednesday was NSD number 2! Usually very easy on a work day but needed milk and salad last night so still sruck on 2. Did randomly find some reduced oven gloves for £2.75 which were much needed so that was my bargain of the day.

I've got the day off today as DDs nursery is shut and despite us both wanting a PJ day I'm going to make us go out for a walk later.

I do no exercise at all apart from a bit of walking on my days off. It's more functional walking like to the park or shops. I'd like to get into countryside walking/rambling but DD is too little to walk too far. I'm going to try out a new walking group being set up locally and go alone leaving OH and DD to have some time together and I can hopefully get out and clear my head. I'd also like to start doing my workout DVD at home and/or an evening class but it's finding the time/energy/motivation!

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 35,826 Thanks
    dolly84
    foxholes - what a coincidence, I was having the exact same conversation in my head this morning. I haven't stopped yet and the kids have done nothing but lounge about playing xbox games and watching Netflix. They are going to be no use to man nor beast if they don't start learning how to do stuff. The problem is everything takes them an age, they don't know where anything is or how to do anything plus they don't do whatever I have asked them to do properly.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 72,124 Thanks
    greent
    My kids (20 and mostly away at uni, almost 18, 12(well, tomorrow) and 8.5) are also useless - and I know it has to be my/ our fault. In my teens I was doing all of the ironing in the school hols (I was home alone from 11 - when I went to secondary school), cooked/ started to cook the evening meal, did vacuuming and polishing and walked the dog (and kept my room tidy - most of the tie! ) Mine are rubbish at even putting their things in the dw!!

Have been to Sains today to make use of a £9 off £60 voucher (14.9%)- spent £60.40 before the voucher, so was impressed with that I then paid with a giftcard purchased at 5% discount - yeay! Receipt then uploaded to both receipth0g and check0utsmart (takes seconds) I bought some bits for DD to take back to uni on Sunday and a pair of jeans for me (down to 1 good pair and 1 going-at-the-thighs pair) After hammering my nectar points at the back end of last year I'm back up to £18.53 on there, which is good

Carrying on emptying kitchen cupboards here - another 5 items for CS (will see if my mum wants then first) and 1 to the fleabay pile so far. Am hoping to get all the top/wall cupboards empty so OH can take those down, at least (although poss not this weekend, as tomorrow is DS2's bday and Sunday is take-DD-back-to-uni day)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 39,907 Thanks
    DawnW
    Update on spends etc so far this month (sorry, not good at updating every day):

Food, household and toiletries - £54.46 / £240
    Fuel - 0 / £65
    Personal spends (covers clothes, hairdressing, social etc, this is for 2 of us) - £35 / £100
    Gifts - £75 / £150 (Daughter's and best friend's birthdays)
    Food bank 0 / £5 Not yet, must do this!

Also had to buy a new extractor fan for the bathroom, £20.99
    Only managed 1 NSD so far

Decluttering is going well though
    NSDs for June 9 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £162.73 / £250
    Fuel 99.95 / £100

• Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 5th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    Thanks Applemuncher for input. My debt unfortunately is much bigger but will look into equity release. My home is paid for and I would be leaving a large inheritance for my girls and struggle with a so so income. Finding out can't hurt.

3NSD
    Grocery delivery £79.81, replacing cupboard stuff, cleaning stuff, hygiene stuff and lots of fruit and veg to restart diabetes low carb diet.

Made all appointments for me, mum and dogs, going to be busy for next two weeks. Need to plan some social in to offset apptments.

Read my Kindle yesterday and did meal plan for weekend.

Have booked 2 gym sessions next week, afternoons as I never get there in the mornings due to health problems. Don't do any sport apart from walking the dogs.

Grateful for
    A warm house
    Birds using the food feeder
    A friend managing to repair my CD player.

Hugs
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 5th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 25,385 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Achieved NSD today 2/18.
    Went for a walk in the park.
    Really finding it hard to motivate myself to do things and get into a routine this month. Hopefully it will improve. I do try and do something each day, but not a lot.
    Put somethings aside that will go into the recycling bin.
    Originally posted by Kerry Woman
    Don't beat yourself up, you are still in the early stages of grief. You are used to looking after your mother and now you are at a bit of a loose end. It's easy to slip into thinking "it's not worth cooking just for me/ cleaning when there's no-one here to notice". You have been juggling work (until recently) and looking after your mother. I always find if you have had a busy time and then stop, sometimes you don't know where to start again.

Treat yourself gently, congratulate yourself on what you have done and schedule in some little treats. Enjoy your walking, take time to notice all the seasonal changes. In a few weeks the first tiny buds and leaves will start to unfurl and the bravest bulbs will poke their heads up.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jun #1 SFD 8/10 Food £116.70/£120 Travel 14.50/£15 Ent/diy £15/£30 may buy clothes?
    No Debt No mortgage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,539Posts Today

7,806Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin