Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 29th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,251Posts
    • 8,752Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Clippy is back again
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    Clippy is back again 29th Dec 17 at 1:50 PM
    Hi all

So here I am again! My actual debt is mostly from home improvements (new kitchen and bathroom) so is not too bad.

The issue is that this work was completed this time last year and since then the figure has not gone down as I keep spending the money I should be using to pay it off That is the bad part

I have mainly used it on holidays (erm yes I may have been away 7 times this year ) and generally just spending it when my wages run out (it is my airbnb income I should have been using for debt.)

I am definitely a earn more rather than cut back kind of gal That is how I cleared my debts before by mystery shopping and having a lodger. Now I do Airbnb which is more hard work but I normally average at about 500 per month in the nearly 3 years I have been doing it.

I will post my SOA below and have cut back the pain free things and the others whilst I try and do cheaper, I will not cut them out.

My two aims are-

1. Ensure ALL Airbnb income is paid off CC's! I have set up a savings account the money is paid into and the only payees are my two credit cards. Also need to ensure this is still averaging out at 500 per month and if not I will have to revisit other cuts.

2. Ensure I actually only live off my salary. It is more than generous for how I like to live. Not entirely sure what I wasted it all on before but for now I need to keep track with a spending diary. This will include only booking holidays I can fund out of my holiday account and not topping it up with airbnb money

Debt is currently-

MBNA card 0% till Sept 18 4561.22
    VIRGIN card 0% till May 19 4527.58

Feel bad I still have my debt free badge when I am clearly not debt free
Page 1
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 29th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 8,752 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    SOA

ME
    hair cut 25
    clothing 30
    amazon music unlimited 5
    make up 10
    kitty (meeting up with friends) 25
    contact lenses 15
    mobile 29
    massgae / wax 55
    crossfit 55
    Entertainment 190
    Holidays 300
    CAR
    car tax 2.5
    car repairs 30
    car insurance 22
    parking permits 4.1
    petrol 35
    car servicing 17
    HOME
    Mortgage 509.48
    Water 31
    TV licence 12.12
    Council tax 71
    Gas & Elec 50
    Internet & phone 28.99
    Sky 15.5
    Home insurance 11.67
    boiler service 5.42
    home repairs/maintenance 30
    window cleaner 5
    garden bin collection 4
    food 120
    OTHER
    presents 62
    dentist 1.75
    CAT
    cat food 15
    pet insurance 12
    vet plan 10

Total 1844.53

I get paid 1847 per month so basically if i stick to my budget it should all fit in.

It is a lot of money to be spending so making a vow to never go over it again and if I run out tough!!!

With all the items that are not paid monthly (insurances, presents, clothes, annual payments etc) I put what they add up to (275) into a savings account and pay for them out of there. This keeps running out though so need to keep track of each category to ensure i am putting enough away.
    Last edited by clippy_girl; 29-12-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 29th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 8,752 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    So about me!

I am in my early 30's and live alone with my cat. I have two bedrooms in my house so rent one on airbnb. I have guests most of the time with the occasional free night.

I LOVE going on holiday This year i obviously will not go on 7. I do however have 3 booked and paid for. The first is two weeks in Vietnam at the end of Jan and I have more than enough saved for this

I have very recently discovered Crossfit which I am enjoying so far. Hoping that when I get obsessed and sucked into the cult I will not be buying junk food as my body will be a temple

I am also single but hope to find a daddy for the cat this year
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 29th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 8,198 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    Hello and welcome (back )
    Well, you know what's what, you've ditched the debt before and you will do it again.
    Personally, I use a combination of a OneNote Journal and an Excel spreadsheet to monitor and track all my ins and outs. Simply try and account for everything and build up and maintain an emergency fund to cover, well, emergencies...

You know we are a nice supportive community here (ok we're friendly nutters )
    If you need any info or advice, just post up about it and someone will pop in to help, we really are nice like that
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 30th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 8,752 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    Afternoon all

So yesterday was a NSD worked from home then went to crossfit in the evening. Then just had bath and watched tv!

Have nothing planned for today until I'm out for dinner this evening which is a lovely feeling have deep cleaned my en suite and sorted through a bag of stuff one of my guests left to go in the bin as it was just stuff she didn't want that can go to charity shop. Added it to my two bags and just dropped off.

Just going to Tesco to return some clothes I ordered and pick up a few items For the week. Need to see if they sell football socks as I've got rope burn on my leg as all my leggings are knee length. I did order full length from Tesco but they are so seethough you can see my knickers! I will have a look in the Nike outlet during the week as apparently but they often have stuff for only 10. If not will have to wait until I go into city to go sports direct. Can't believe they want 4.99 delivery
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 54,878 Posts
    • 219,072 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 30th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 22,625 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    • 30th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    Happy new diary xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6200.00 Cap 1: 395.80 BC: 6841.81
    AFD xxx LTW 6/16
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 6288.87/7000
    Savings for Christmas 191.84/365
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 30th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,608 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    Happy new diary *goes to google crossfit*
    • Grumpyoldmoo
    • By Grumpyoldmoo 30th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Grumpyoldmoo
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    I'm considering going down the airbnb route to gain extra income, you must live in a bustling area to get 500 per month. Just wondering tho if it would work for me, is it hard work to set up/organise? How do you know if your guests are trustworthy?
    Feb'15 118411.00 Jan '16 112665.10 Jan 17 106790.00, Jan 18 99268.10
    2.00 Savers Club 2015 no.112 total 332, 2.00 Savers Club 2016 #06, 356 (250), 2 Savers Club for 2017 #2, 312 (275), 2 Savers Club 2018 #15 20 (260)

Emergency Fund 1125/1000
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 31st Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 8,752 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    I'm considering going down the airbnb route to gain extra income, you must live in a bustling area to get 500 per month. Just wondering tho if it would work for me, is it hard work to set up/organise? How do you know if your guests are trustworthy?
    Originally posted by Grumpyoldmoo
    I think as long as you don't live in a major city (as they have loads of listings which push price right down) it is pretty good as long as you are not saturated with properties. I get tourists but also people visiting children at the university and people staying for work on weeknights.

I used to do one night stays and was nearly fully booked but doing 5 changeovers in 5 days is pretty hard going! I have a 2 night minimum now and often block the night off after a stay unless it's weekend as it was getting too much having to come home at lunch and do the swap over. I would also recommend getting a keysafe so you are not a slave to sitting around waiting. I have mine on the fence and it was the best 16 I have spent!

To get an idea of pricing and demand, go on the website and search in your area and filter to what you would offer e.g. Private room 2 guests. Move the map to your actual area as it's pretty wide. That will show you all your competitor listings. Do it without dates to see how many there are. You can click on their calendars to see how how available they are. Or try putting in dates on your search to see how many are still free.

People will rent anything if the price is right so don't worry about spending loads of money to furnish it and make it amazing before starting. As long as it's clean and has a comfy bed that's the main thing. Just photograph and describe it accurately. You can always use earnings to start buying stuff like lamps, hairdryers etc..

You can set up things like only people with verified ID like passport can book but lots of guests don't bother. Similarly you could only accept guests with positive reviews but lots of guests are new so that will limit you.

You are taking a risk as there's not much vetting done but I can often get a sense of what people are like by the messages they send. You can ask people for more info like what are they planning to do, who is coming etc... they need to send you a request which you accept or decline.

I use instant book so people can book instantly without me manually accepting them but I have it set so only guests with previous positive reviews can book. As people like the convenience of that it means I get lots of bookings from people that have good reviews so less of a risk.
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 13th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 8,752 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Afternoon all

Not updated for a while oops

Been pretty pleased with my spending I have mainly been spending money on a few meals out but they have yummy and lovely good catch up with friends so don't begrudge them. I have been writing down everything spent in my diary so will tot up day I go on holiday (26th).

I have been really lazy recently and ignoring my to do list which is silly been meaning to ring hmrc so I don't need to do self assessment as no longer self employed and under rent a room scheme allowance but put it off. Finally did yesterday but if course too busy as near deadline but discovered could notify them online. However it takes up to 15 working days to confirm you have been removed so I will probably still have to do it (I did it last night and it wanted me to pay 1.20 which promoted me to call). Will wait and see and if not I will submit it the day I go away.

Also not got round to booking in car for repair which is annoying as wanted it done so I know how much it will cost.

Getting a little about my Airbnb bookings as was only on 250 this month which was ok as was already up to 550 next month but then the guest cancelled their 300 booking whilst I am away. Trying not to worry as normally when this happens I stress and then get lots of last minute ones. Also I don't need the money to pay bills etc, it's for overpaying credit card so can cope short term. If it continues though I will have to consider permanent lodger but don't really want to do that.

Today I am deep cleaning the house to get rid of all the dust balls (wooden floors ) and been having a declutter of bedroom and en suite. Need to motivate myself to go and actually clean now though! Then off to a party but I will drive and drink water (I'm not that cheap but I only drink water, gin and coffee so not much choice if I drive )

Good news is I pulled clothes and backpack down from loft and found some baggy trousers and long skirt I forgot about so I will only need to buy a few cheap tshirts. Wrote my list today and will only need a couple of first aid bits (bought sun lotion when it was massively reduced after summer ) this time in 2 weeks I will be on the plane
    • fay66
    • By fay66 13th Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    fay66
    good luck with everything I enjoyed reading this
    Inland revenue 4500=
    Loan 1562
    Pay day loans -1400 1st pay 16 march 50
    Credit card 1 -4850/4850 int froze
    CC2 -978
    CC3 - 500/548 cc4 180/200
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 14th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 8,752 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    So another day with no new bookings

Added to my woe 3 of my lights have stopped working so having to get an electrician out on Tuesday to fix them. Hope it won't cost too much. Need to get fixed straight away as it's both hall lights and my stairs are lethal in the dark and guest bathroom is downstairs. Do have some money in home pot so fingers crossed it's not expensive!

Yesterday I spent 4.99 on a new neck cushion as my other one is now too saggy but that's all.

Today I am out for lunch. Payday on Friday and have 24 in purse which will cover it along with topup shop during week.

Today's plans are deep clean downstairs and defrost 2nd freezer as can now fit everything in small kitchen one one benefit of protein shakes is that I don't have millions of meals in the feeezer so can manage on one

Then lunch at local pub then evening relaxing. Going to try and remember how to make folders on kindle to sort unread books and will see if I can get some new free ones for holiday.

Happy Sunday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

9,394Users online

Martin's Twitter