Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,645Posts
    • 5,679Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3 29th Dec 17 at 1:32 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16
    And possibly the last . Not sure if the link works .

From someone who never bothers with diaries ( I’m the person who gets one from the office but leaves it in a drawer for 2 years ), to someone who has done two on m s e .

As the title suggests , diary 1 is quit ( 28/10/2015)
    Diary 2 is wondering what now?( 2/04/2017)
    Diary 3 is trying to pickup the pieces of the puzzle and put them together so everything fits . (29/22/17)

I must thank all the regulars ( Lesson Learned, harz, enthusiastic , gigervamp, Anna , copperjar cew Wendy &co. ) plus all the others who have been reading and thanking me along the way.
    I do think that, had the internet and this site had been around when we first had problems that a lot of mistakes wouldn’t have happpened.

There are many people worse off of course, but Like others I want to avoid falling down after trying to rebuild myself ready to be more sturdy and robust for what is thrown at me in the immediate future and beyond.

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Hope you enjoy the journey with me .

Thanks
    Ac
Page 9
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Last night my boiler packed up. Annoying really as I was gonna get it serviced and call the gas company who I dealt with last year anyway. The reasons why I didn't call them sooner was because of the mess everywhere from the new kitchen . Plus of course the multiple call outs they must've got in the real freezing conditions a couple of weeks ago. I want to use the same firm as I saw last year. In March last year, I was almost gonna pull out of the purchase of this flat because of the boiler location. Also because of the electrics. The chap I saw was a nice guy ,and the company made the effort to see me as I was looking for a reputable gas co. Hopefully , they're not too busy, and can see me at Tuesday at the latest.
    I sent gym instructor a message asking to reschedule Mondays session just incase I get a call and hopefully a visit .

Today is March 31st . This means I got the keys to the flat one year ago today .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 31st Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 20,142 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Happy Anniversary!

Sorry to hear about the boiler though, hope you can keep warm until it's fixed, and that the repair isn't too expensive.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks gigervamp .
    That dyson fan I got last year, does hot as well as cold . So it's not the end of the world . There is the plus side of course, that that real freezing spell is over now.

I remember getting the keys last year from the estate agent .
    I started painting the flat last year in various stages . Not exactly Picasso , but it all worked out in the end
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 31st Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just making a start tidying the bedroom. I look out of the side window
    I notice a large greeen object underneath . I go out to investigate, and see..a big metal 'stop' road sign . Somebody obviously had too much to drink last night .
    I then walk back and look outside at the drain by the bedroom .next to the drain a fairly large hole that looks potentially inviting for mice or rats. It's almost camouflaged by the shrubs . Not sure if it was cut for a reason . I may have to buy cement and fill it .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 31st Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 20,142 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Didn't know that about the Dyson fan, that's handy.

Wire wool is supposed to be good for filling holes to stop mice getting in. I guess they don't like chewing it.
    I wonder where the "Stop" sign came from.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 66,388 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    AC.....ouch to the boiler.....hope you get things sorted soon.

Yes Iím still following your exploits.

The fitness seems to be coming along nicely and (other than the boiler) the flat sounds like it is all coming together now too.

So well done on the 1st year anniversary

You have come a long way.......

Now how about a job and a social life........

Me.....well I have decided to go back to school. Studying Complimentary Therapies. I am thoroughly enjoying it. The master plan is to convert one of my bedrooms to a treatment room and start a small business.

Having my own little hobby business means I can work as little or as much as I like. Working from home means reduced Overheads so I can keep my prices competitive. I can pick and choose my clients, meaning I can avoid the obnoxious ones.

I do not need to make a fortune, it will just be pocket money (for all those holidays and adventures). And I will be doing something that I enjoy and which interests me and keeps my brain engaged.

I was offered the chance to go back on site again and whilst I loved it in the summer, winters can be very cold. I think my old bones will thank me for declining. Better to work from home and be nice and cosy.......:

Happy Easter.

Time to get my glad rags on - I am off out for some fun and frolics.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Nice to hear from you again LL
    The boiler: I've posted something on the home thread ,and got great advice. If the boiler wasn't so low down , I could fix the problem .
    There are 2 valve taps . Trouble is , they're so tight so I'm gonna wait until I get the call from engineer .

The job and social life should be happening soonish. I'm sending cvs to agencies off this week . I'm getting back into bass playing so I think I should be hooking up with someone soon.

Alternative therapy is good Hope it all works out . Knowing you, it will. just try not to get the needle with awkward clients

The flat is slowly going the way I want it. Just 1 and a half rooms to tackle . The training is still going on . I've cut out bread since weds.
    Rome, a day and all that
    Enjoy the rest of your Easter.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Didn't know that about the Dyson fan, that's handy.

Wire wool is supposed to be good for filling holes to stop mice getting in. I guess they don't like chewing it.
    I wonder where the "Stop" sign came from.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    The stop sign came from a bent lamp post around the corner, I think
    There is red tape around it , so I assume a few drunks decided to walk along with it and dispose of it under my window . A few plants were crushed a gardener coincidentally had a tidy up , but didn't seem to try to make the plant stand upright . I may get some string and tie it up myself . The people who dumped the sign , could have chose a building nearer but I was just the unlucky one .

As I'm a leaseholder, I may send managing agents an email and ask them to fill hole .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 3rd Apr 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Bank holiday Monday . Started a job that I've been putting off since I moved in ...taking my loose CDs ,and album covers and putting them into zipped pouches. I already have many in there, but absolutely bundles not and we're put into a massive sports bag.
    This took hours, and am seeing daylight .
    I have a couple of bunches of dvds also. Thankfully no way near as many as CDs. I will keep some, and give others to an animal charity.
    I will not buy any more dvds, and if I really want something to keep I will buy on iTunes .Regarding music, I will do the same .

Got a callback from gas co. They will be here ..on Friday morning.
    So, I tried to turn the water tap and would you believe, it is too stiff.
    That means it's best to wait until then .

I got boiler working . The pressure may be more than expected. Hopefully , fingers crossed it's ok
    Last edited by another casualty; 03-04-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 5th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, chap was available from gas co.to look at boiler . The charge is £74 per hour, which I was told in advance . The chap was thorough . He's not too sure how long its gonna last . Lots of gunk to be cleaned out of the rads etc. I will get a report on what needs doing . I never got an answer one way or the other about whether I should get a new boiler.

I had a hsp appt today to have a colposcopy . When you reach 55 you get the option to have it . I did, and don't have to go back till I'm 60
    Thankfully no bowl cancer was seen . The procedure was way better than anticipated.

Just started looking for part time employment .

Has a personal training session today . Mr. Instructor was happy that I haven't touched bread for 8 days . One of the best things, but one of the worst . Will be seeeing him on Monday . Time is flying again
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 5th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 20,142 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Glad to hear you had a clean bill of health re the colposcopy, and that you've started looking for work. If you do need a new boiler, that's going to be another chunk out of your dwindling savings, so the sooner you get some money coming in, the better.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 66,388 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi AC. What is new.... you are being very quiet!!!

How is the job hunting and keep fitting going.,,,what is the gen on the boiler.

I have decided to put my house in the market.....dip my toe in the water and see what happens. I have bookmarked a couple of maybe properties but have not bothered doing any viewings yet. I will wait and see if I get much interest in this place first.

The EA offered me a job.

Can I market my house, do a college course and go to work.

Of course I can.....

I still have a few bits and pieces to do to get the house market ready but once the outstanding jobs are done and we go live next week I will see what they want to offer me........

Looks like I am going to be busy.
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 13th Apr 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    AC - how is the boiler now? Any plans for the weekend?
    Getting back on Track
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Back again
    Interesting news regarding selling your property LL
    Not surprised you were offered the job at the estate agents .
    I remember looking at a potential flat to buy last year ,and the estate agent was more wooden than Sherwood Forest . I kindly gave him some 'feedback ', or should I say constructive criticism.
    Another one was more or less offended when I turned down a flat for sale . He should know that I am not a walking piece of paper with boxes ticked like an old pools coupon .

I had a couple of lunchtime ciders with my local friend on sat. Weather was good , so why not have a couple ?
    Boiler was serviced last week . £79. There is a part needed and an engineer is coming to sort that tomorrow . It is to supply and fit an automatic air vent , just under £111.00 . Still that should mean just an annual service next year for approx £80 .

Just back from another session with mr. Trainer. He recently sent me videos of all the exercises I should be doing online . He talks me through the exercises and it is him actually doing them himself.
    Talk about going the extra mile . On weds ,It would be 3 weeks with no bread . Never thought I'd do that . I'm persisting anyway
    He seems to be very impressed ,and if he is happy then so am I

I have been browsing on the job front . Mr. Instructor thinks I have the right approach being patient and not rushing until I'm absolutely ready . Cv is ready . So far so good . Still being careful not to spend on anything now other than food and bills . I'm watching everything but being realistic at he same time .

Flat is over 90% there now . I've been having mad spells like a March hare getting things done .

Will be having a social gathering next sat with a few friends who are visiting poole for the day .

Hope alls well ..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Automatic air vent fitted . Engineer was in the area , so I received a call and everything was done by 3.30 . Appointment initially was for 4pm , but I had a feeling it would be earlier .
    The engineer did say that the boiler is not in great condition and if it costs a lot to repair in the future , then I should consider getting a new one. Basically the scenario is that in effect, it should be ok for another year and then I hope it is just another service.
    We'll see.

A few months back I was given a nectar card from my local Sainsbury's . I never registered it at the time ,and always said I'd get round to it . Today I lost it . If I had registered it , I probably would've got a replacement with points added to it . I think I had less than £20 on it . Oh well.. Having said that , I looked at the way Sainsbury's are making things more difficult according to Sir Lewis and I'm asking myself if it's worth getting another one .
    This one was a key ring size which is a p I t a imho . If it was the normal size I'd still have it . There are worse things in life
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Yesterday met my local friend for lunch in Bournemouth .
    I spent some time in the park looking at the aviary etc.

Today I went to the gym . Two nice sunny days on the trot . This time last year, I was painting the flat in stages . James was doing the bathroom . All of my stuff was still in storage ,and I was planning what the flat would look like once I move in . I felt more revitalised today in the gym , considering last year when I was very poorly trying to paint the place . I don't know how I did it .

I received a few texts from one of my friends in London . The sun is out and he misses the drinking sessions we used to have on the boat near where I used to work . Speaking of work , if I was in my last position of employment I'd be walking around like a red gas ballooon in a blue suit feeling sweaty and uncomfortable . I don't miss those days .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 19th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 20,142 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    It must be lovely down there atm. Husband and I will be back in Swanage in 3 weeks. I'm counting the days! We always stay in the same flat, as it's in a great position on the cliff, has a large terrace, and a gorgeous view. Watching the boats go past, and listening to the waves lapping on the beach is so relaxing.

I bet your friend stuck in London is envious!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 19th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 15,247 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Gorgeous weather down here in Plymouth area too. I have managed to get out in the garden two days running and did a swim this morning too. Planted up my DDs and son in laws garden pots as they in hospital awaiting the appearance of DGD2 who will be delivered tomorrow

Glad to see you watching the pennies, having a few social drinks and working on the CV and fitness training AC. I bet you don't miss London.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 19th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks folks
    I will have to go to swanage soon . Not very far . I've realised now that I have to get a move on with everything .
    Plymouth sounds nice also . Congratulations on dgd2 when it happens enthusiastic
    Seems odd really , but I think you're right folks . I don't miss London . Only been there for 2 fleeting appearances back in sept and i was glad to be away from it .
    I will venture out somewhere tomorrow . Not sure where yet .
    Another day of sunshine is forecast .
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hey AC - pleased to hear how well you are getting on.
    Random thought about work. i know you've said you've applied to agencies etc. Have you thought about jobs in somewhere like the local waitrose, just a few shifts a week to begin with and then build it up depending on your health.

The other thing is summer jobs? it must be getting into tourist season now & would only be temporary so you can see how you get on ?

Anna
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

8,687Users online

Martin's Twitter