Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,502Posts
    • 5,390Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3 29th Dec 17 at 1:32 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16
    And possibly the last . Not sure if the link works .

From someone who never bothers with diaries ( I!!!8217;m the person who gets one from the office but leaves it in a drawer for 2 years ), to someone who has done two on m s e .

As the title suggests , diary 1 is quit ( 28/10/2015)
    Diary 2 is wondering what now?( 2/04/2017)
    Diary 3 is trying to pickup the pieces of the puzzle and put them together so everything fits . (29/22/17)

I must thank all the regulars ( Lesson Learned, harz, enthusiastic , gigervamp, Anna , copperjar cew Wendy &co. ) plus all the others who have been reading and thanking me along the way.
    I do think that, had the internet and this site had been around when we first had problems that a lot of mistakes wouldn!!!8217;t have happpened.

There are many people worse off of course, but Like others I want to avoid falling down after trying to rebuild myself ready to be more sturdy and robust for what is thrown at me in the immediate future and beyond.

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Hope you enjoy the journey with me .

Thanks
    Ac
Page 6
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 26th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Howdens are good. We will be using them for our new kitchen. Best time to order doors, cupboards, worktops etc is October when their sale is on. My DD and her husband did that last year and we will be doing the same this year or next. Before you commit maybe ask about that.

Your holiday sounds great LL and wonderful news re grandson. We are expecting our second granddaughter this May.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 26th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks enthusiastic . I did think of that . However, 2 things are telling me to proceed now :1.) The repair needs doing sooner rather than later and is a big job in itself .2) James is getting bored of the building game and is looking to do something else. So, while I can, I think it is best to just get everything out of the way. James will do small jobs , and I have a feeling he would be there for me one way or another should I ever need anything building related in the future.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 26th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 20,055 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    That does sound a lot. All the cabinets, sink, tap, worktops and in-built fridge for our kitchen from Ikea, came to less than £1000. That's 6 base units, one tall unit, 3 butcherblock worktops and a ceramic sink. We did the labour ourselves though, with me building the cabinets, and husband fitting them to the wall, and the worktops, sinks etc.

I thought you were just getting new doors and worktops?

Good news that you're needing smaller clothes! That must be a boost for you. Unlike my husband who has just had to get new jeans in the next size UP!
    What does your PT think of your progress?
    Last edited by Gigervamp; 26-02-2018 at 6:38 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 26th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi gigervamp
    Initially I was gonna just get kitchen doors. However , I now know why I purchased the flat with No washing machine . The damage done there is bad as mentioned . James has already put new worktops sinks and taps . I managed to paint the kitchen myself . James got Bournemouth flooring to sort out cheap vinyl for kitchen floor .
    They carpeted the whole flat as well. The kitchen floor is bright lime green . The walls white. The cabinets are a very light pine colour.
    I am going for gloss white for kitchen cabinets etc .

My personal trainer is full of encouragement . He actually calls me ‘great’ ‘solid’ ‘machine ‘. I have been called much worse .
    He is changing my programme again next week . I have 2 programmes already , plus the different stuff I have been doing over last 2 sessions . No doubt you will be telling your other half off now and again
    I’m just amazed at how quick I have gone from a 40” - 36” although I hope to pull less faces and stop the risk of breaking my thumbs when I put a new pair of jeans on tomorrow .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 27th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    Threee Bad things happened . 1) massive pain on my right forearm .
    It may be related to my m g condition . Plus the shoulder problem etc
    2) very dry cough intermittently . Maybe this flat is damp ?
    3) spent 100 mins trying to get refund from now tv for something that was supposedly free. Six month entertainment pass. I persisted , while ransacking the flat . Got four months refund in the end and 1 month to watch . So I never lost money , but I Am glad I am not tied into their contract .
    I posted a vent an be tv forum if you are interested
    What a waste of a morning .
    • harz99
    • By harz99 27th Feb 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    harz99
    Threee Bad things happened . 1) massive pain on my right forearm .
    It may be related to my m g condition . Plus the shoulder problem etc
    2) very dry cough intermittently . Maybe this flat is damp ?
    3) spent 100 mins trying to get refund from now tv for something that was supposedly free. Six month entertainment pass. I persisted , while ransacking the flat . Got four months refund in the end and 1 month to watch . So I never lost money , but I Am glad I am not tied into their contract .
    I posted a vent an be tv forum if you are interested
    What a waste of a morning .
    Originally posted by another casualty

More likely to be the same B cough/infection that everyone and their dog seems to have, I've been suffering since twixmas on and off, just won't disappear.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 27th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi harz
    Sorry to hear about you having it also
    It’s bizarre really . I posted a question about mold issues in the in my home section . One of the members told me of the symptoms they had while living in a damp flat and it mirrored with what I have/had.
    The annoying thing a short while ago , was that I feel more or less fine but once I made a payment and talking to the nice lady in nationwide my nose started to run . Strange thing is , once I left the runny nose stopped.maybe I am joining the club of flu

Just enjoyed nice walk / shopping and it started snowing around 1.20 pm. Made first payment to James , so the ball is rolling .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, had a great sleep last night . Do not mind if I wake up too early, but the pain from my forearm has gone for now. Shoulder pain still there but not as bad. Stayed in today , but had a massive clrarout of my belongings . I have been putting this off, but I finally gave up procrastinating and just got on with it . What it entailed was taking out 1 huge crate , 5 trendy habitat storage boxes and go through the whole lot not knowing what was in them .Turned out , most of the contents were cd and dvd plus loose cd booklets. I managed to condense the rest which was paper bills etc and put that lot into a large carrier bag to be sorted whenever.
    The cds etc are put into a huge sports bag . The next thing to do, is put them into my zipped pouches that I purchased many moons ago .
    What I did many years ago, was throw out all of my cd jewel cases.
    The idea was to put CDs into zip pouches with the booklets saving space and being tidy etc. All well and good, but I was busy for many years and it was and is, an uncompleted job. I will tackle that in the very near future .

This brings me onto my next task..offloading all those storage boxes via Ebay .
    I also found a few dvd box sets that I cannot see me watching again , mad men and breaking bad. Got these pre Netflix . I looked on fleabay and they do not seem to be selling very well so I will give them to a charity shop .
    A few hours of productivity today ..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, I woke up far too early last night . Around 2.30 am .
    Fell asleep around 4 am. I normally listen to Steve Allen on Lbc but must have fell asleep just before his show was due to start. Woke up to nick Ferrari instead. That was around 7.20 . Felt rough but managed to watch everybody loves raymond around 7.30.

Went to local shop as per usual every couple of days . Made sure I got it out of the way before the apparent blizzard starts later on today.
    Had a goood chat to the lady as usual . She is going to London tomorrow . It turns out she does acting . I did extra work twice, and met Angus deytom . That was about 20 years ago . How time flies.

Just listed those empty habitat boxes on flea bay. Hopefully someone will want them .99p start , so who knows.
    Gotta do some tidying up . Then maybe play the bass guitar .
    Could have went to the gym , but tbh the weather etc I think it is best staying in rather than falling over again
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 1st Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I went to the gym yesterday with brilliant sunshine and no snow. Saw the snow start to come down and settle and within 30 mins there was deep snow and the road out of my gym which is very hilly littered with abandoned cars. I had to drive very slowly up the hill slipping the clutch and luckily at the top some very kind men got some buckets of sand out of the container and scattered in front of my wheels to give me enough grip to get on to the main road. My DD who is 7 months pregnant could not get out of her work car park as it was ungritted and like an icerink so DH had to pick her up and collect my DGD from nursery as it closed early. Never known it as bad down here for years. No sign of any snow today yet though. We are either walking everywhere today or staying put. The south west is not great for gritting anything beyond the main roads and so many hills are death traps unless gritted.

You are best staying in AC.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    Yes you are right enthusiastic It has been snowing for the last 20 mins or so. Apparently today was always gonna be the worst day .
    Hope everyone is ok . Feel sorry for the poor animals .

Had a couple of problems with Ebay . They seem to have updated their system again and I had to go into the App Store to reload it .
    Also had an email from legal and general advising me to click onto s link about their anti virus system coming to an end . Something like that. I assume it is a scam .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 1st Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 20,055 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Yeah, don't click on the link. If you've got anything with them, go to the website and look it up.

We've now got a red warning here. It's supposed to be starting around 3pm, so once my husband's home from work, we'll be battening down the hatches. I expect he'll knock off early (advantages of flexi-time) to get home before it gets too bad. He only has to travel about 5 miles, although the last couple of miles is through one track country lanes, so I doubt they'll be gritted.

Keep warm and safe everyone.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 1st Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Just started snowing down here in Cornwall. They said 3pm so about right. Settling already. Glad we are tucked up indoors and rest of my family safe. Feel so sorry for the homeless and animals in this freezing weather.

• anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 1st Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    been snowing all day in Hampshire but only very lightly - just started to get heavier. All the schools did a panic shut down for the day which is rather extreme. I believe the heavy snow is due here at 4am - fingers crossed for a good downfall tomorrow and no work
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    It is full on here now. Looks like it is settling already . The weather forecasters are accurate . This is the worst day so far .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 1st Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 20,055 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    It's started here now too, but at the moment it's small flakes and being blown horizontal.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 6th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well .. snow gone . Slush gone .
    Back to Thursday . Due to the snow ,a lot of shelves empty.in Sainsbury's
    I normally have their rice cakes, healthier than crisps . However, because I fancied something similar ..I got a couple of McCoy's variety packs. The good news was, I haven't had crisps for approx 6 months .
    The other good news is , after scoffing those I don't miss them.

One other thing: I went to local Iceland and got some chicken breasts and tried them on Sunday ..just before I was meeting my friend for a cider or few. The chicken was foul. I threw it out . This meant I got very drunk . Not good.
    This led onto Monday l

On Monday i felt rough . Understatement . My personal trainer put yesterday's session back until tomorrow . I went yesterday on my own in a fragile state . Glad I did . Surprisingly never slept well last night.
    I had to get up early incase janes came. He came around 10am
    2 kitchen cupboards put up already . He noticed the note from my seller about an electrician should I need one . James uses him , and he can get me a good price should I need him . Nice touch.

Just looked at my contents insurance . It expires on 31 March
    It is a little more than last year. I managed to get the £20admin fee waived . So it cost about £2 more than last year.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, James has started work on the kitchen last tues. it will cost a little more based on two things 1) Howdens miscalculated . 2) James did ask if I wanted new tiles while the iron was hot so to speak . It seemed the logical thing to do, and it won't cost very much .
    The stare of play at the moment is that a bomb has hit the flat . Also that a couple of cupboards and tiles loook great.
    There is a way to go yet . Howdens haven't got all the kitchen parts meaning that jams couldn't visit today. James has a doctors appointment on weds . He may come in the afternoon , but I doubt it
    Hopefully job will be completed on Friday , but I'm thinking next week. Onto the communal area between the three flats ...

There is a fair amount of dismantled wood from my kitchen outside my door. I managed to dtill make space for the lady's pram upstairs.
    She did ask if she needed to move it. Of course I said no, that the wood will be outside my flat door for a few days and apologised for the inconvenience . Onto the property management company ..

There was a meeting for any of us who wanted to attend at the management agents office in Bournemouth . There are normally 2 ladies who seem to be in charge of the goings on of my block.
    They want to step down and let someone else be nominated to take over. I never went to the meeting. One of my neighbours ( who has his own entrance , but his electric meter is in our riser cupboard in our communal area ) did attend. The comments made on the report from him : boxes not being flattened in the recycling bin/ do we need another recycling bin / there is a shed in the communal garden that nobody knows who owns it ,or did own it ./ clothes dryers are in poor condition. I saw him in my communal area and said hello, while my door was open and James was on the floor doing his business.
    Yesterday , a note was put in under my door from my neighbour telling us all that 2 new clothes airers are now in the communal garden. I have a washer dryer so no issue with me eiher way.
    However, when he put note under my door I am hoping that he doesn't become a busy body and complain about the dismantled wood to the managing agents. I hope I'm over thinking here. It is down to the 2 upstairs neighbours to complain and not him. It's just bulky stuff outside my door for a few days and nobodies life is effected .just mine. So that's the flat update . Onto today...

Went for my usual personal training session . Mr.Trainer is very happy with me and is not a cross trainer in any way.
    He seems to admire my effort and determination . He calls me names like 'machine' and 'solid'. He actually told me today that he could see improvement and that I have 'lost weight ' . I won't rest on my laurels though as you know . I have to keep going for as long as it takes . I'm enjoying doing so, in spite of feeling brutally tortured.
    My shoulder problem seems to be gone . Fingers crossed.

Speaking of fingers , I took stock over the last couple of days regarding my bass playing. I am still weighing up the health side of it
    I had two great sessions at home over the weekend playing with effects etc. I had one fretless bass,which I hardly used but since I got the smaller one last year( for travelling etc) I have been playing fretless only . It's easy enough.. it's just that I stuck to ordinary bass for so long as I wanted to do stupid rock poses and enjoy myself when playing live gigs rather than just standing in he corner. Trouble is if I did that with a fretless I would be out of tune like les Dawson and would probably had stuff thrown at me . Still, if someone does throw fruit at me ,,then at least take it out of the tin first.
    I should in a few months be jamming with other musicians. Don't fancy gigging but who knows?

That's enough waffling for now
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 12th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 20,055 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    That neighbour might complain about the wood being a fire hazard, but if it's only going to be there a few days, by the time the management company have written to you about it, it might be cleared. Just make sure it's not there for too long.

Sounds like your training's going well.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    another casualty
    So today , I was waiting for James. He arrived around 11 am.
    It’s such a nice day , and the clutter and mess everywhere was beginning to get to me. I’m now in Bournemouth having a coffee in Waterstones . Will be meeting my friend shortly on his lunch break.
    I think today is the right day, as the week looks showery.

Forgot to update about the storage boxes. They “sold “ for£2 wow
    However, there has been no communication since I sent message with my mobile no last Thursday . On Sunday £2 was paid into my PayPal account. Not sure how long I should wait .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin