Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 4,024Posts
    • 6,378Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3 29th Dec 17 at 12:32 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16
    And possibly the last . Not sure if the link works .

From someone who never bothers with diaries ( I’m the person who gets one from the office but leaves it in a drawer for 2 years ), to someone who has done two on m s e .

As the title suggests , diary 1 is quit ( 28/10/2015)
    Diary 2 is wondering what now?( 2/04/2017)
    Diary 3 is trying to pickup the pieces of the puzzle and put them together so everything fits . (29/22/17)

I must thank all the regulars ( Lesson Learned, harz, enthusiastic , gigervamp, Anna , copperjar cew Wendy &co. ) plus all the others who have been reading and thanking me along the way.
    I do think that, had the internet and this site had been around when we first had problems that a lot of mistakes wouldn’t have happpened.

There are many people worse off of course, but Like others I want to avoid falling down after trying to rebuild myself ready to be more sturdy and robust for what is thrown at me in the immediate future and beyond.

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Hope you enjoy the journey with me .

Thanks
    Ac
Page 34
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    What's been going on ..?
    Pain seems to have increased since my stoppage of prednisolone a month ago . I have to tough it out . It will take time . No way am I fit for work at the moment . It will take at least 6 months for it to come out of my system fully and for my original hormone state to return .
    I have my meeting with my job coach next Tuesday and will see their angle of things .
    Training still going well with mr . Trainer in spite of all this .
    Today he thinks I've lost weight , and wants to do a proper weighing session etc next week . He keeps telling me that out of 100 people in a room , only 2 people would continue training . He seems impressed.

My music room and kitchen are now done and I just have to tidy up the clutter which has been put in the bedroom .

The new tenants upstairs are more or less invisible . They seem very considerate . They smoke on the bench across the road .
    On 2 occasions in 2 weeks , there has been a stench of spicy food coming into my flat . Not impressed. It could be the family that have been here all the time . Leading to today ...

I was watching the chase , or trying to . The kids and the bawling baby have become too much . Not content with running up and down the stairs , they have been jumping on the ceiling .
    So I went out , and shut the door . The woman's mother ( kids grandmother ) was coming in and I mentioned the noise.
    English is not their first language . I tried communicating . Not being racist at all ,just explaining the hard job of explaining to them
    They are running in front of my window and I am worried incase they damage the shrubbery outside my windows.
    Not sure if I should mention this to the managing agents .
    There is a communal garden area , which they should be using .
    I'll see what gives .
    I'm counting how many up there today . Woman 1 boy , 1 girl , 1 bawling baby , the man who comes over to wind the baby up and the older lady .Too many people for a 2 bedroom flat .
    Last edited by another casualty; 15-04-2019 at 5:21 PM.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Apr 19, 6:44 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Hello stranger!

You should speak to the mother of the kids first, then if it doesn't quieten down, or they keep going in the front garden, then let the managing agents know.

Are they school age, because it's half term now I think.

Good to hear your training's going well. Are you curious about how much weight you've lost? Mind you, you're probably also putting on muscle mass, which weighs more than fat, so that might make it seem like you've not lost much.

Have you got any plans over the bank holiday? Seeing your friends? The weather's going to be warm according to the weather report tonight, so it should be good for a spot of sitting in a nice beer garden with good company.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi gigervamp Nice to hear from you again.
    Yes , it's true that it is the holiday period . I have been very patient with them . Yes they make a fair bit of noise up and down the stairs mainly weekend . Fair enough. The bawling baby is manageable when I turn my music / tv up louder. What has been happening lately is the kids jumping up and down , leaving the door open and running in front of my window . That's when I had enough .
    The mother should have come down to apologise . I'll see tomorrow if she is in the communal area and I will tell her . I will take her to the front . Think fawlty towers. Kids ages about 6-7. And a baby .

It'll be interesting when I find out my new measurements next week
    Mr trainer is giving me a tailored workout , due to the mg. it'll take time , so anything positive is a bonus .

I'll be seeing my friend next weekend for a cider or 2 in Poole
    We had a surprising 8 pint of Guinness session on sat . Unexpected
    It was record store day . The sun was shining and we did a pub crawl in Westbourne . I was in a bad way in the late evening obviously
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Oh yes, bet your head was complaining, but when the sun's out and you're having fun, it all seems like a good idea at the time!

Upstairs should be telling her kids not to jump around up there, as well as the other things, but she probably can't help the baby bawling. One of mine never wanted to be put down at all, and often screamed the place down. And when I had my youngest, one night he just wouldn't stop crying, no matter what I tried, and the upstairs neighbours banged on their floor. I felt like knocking on their door and thrusting my son at them, saying "Here, you see if you can get him to stop, because I've tried everything, and I'd also like to get some sleep!" I didn't, obviously. That really annoyed me, that they thought I was just leaving him to cry for the fun of it!
    But yeah, she can definitely do something about the kids.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks gigervamp .
    I have just sent an email to the managing agents . Right or wrong , I've done it . What really got to me , was the kids running in front of my window and possibly damaging the plants outside my window .
    It dawned on me that the family seem to be treating it as their house and I'm surrounded by then . Not on

In my email I basically told them how laid back I have been in the 2 years I've been here . I told them I don't mind the pram in the communal area , and that even they knew that the kids bike behind it was too much and they moved it . I mentioned I don't mind them running up and down the stairs . Kids are kids etc and it's not constant . I mentioned the door being open constantly before .
    The papers and letters chucked on the floor also . Those issues are being discussed in the annual meeting .
    So, I await their response ..
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Apr 19, 9:04 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Would you be allowed to put up a little fence between the front garden and the path, to stop them running into it? I'm thinking just a lowish picket type fence, 2 or 3 feet high, with a gate for access.

Alternatively, you can get planters with a trellis attached to the back, you could put a few along there. Something like this.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Apr 19, 9:13 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Would you be allowed to put up a little fence between the front garden and the path, to stop them running into it? I'm thinking just a lowish picket type fence, 2 or 3 feet high, with a gate for access.

Alternatively, you can get planters with a trellis attached to the back, you could put a few along there. Something like this.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    Thanks for suggestion gigervamp .
    It's fairly hard to describe the layout . The shrubs outside my window are big bushes . They get maintained by the managing agents about 3 times a year . They use big petrol hedge trimmers .
    The communal garden is at the other end and they have lots of room down there. Outside my window is a big main road . They need to go to the park .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Apr 19, 9:24 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Yeah, I'm trying to remember what it looked like, when you were thinking of buying it. I remember the side and back, and I think I remember seeing bushes along by the pavement (and between yours and next door?) but don't remember if you could see from the photos the entrance to the front garden.

Oh well, maybe they'll stop once the management have spoken to her about it.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Apr 19, 9:28 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Your memory is good gigervamp.
    The bushes along by the pavement is my bit . The flats facing have exactly the same layout . I'll let you know the outcome .
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Apr 19, 9:32 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Haha, I've always liked looking at houses! As a child, whenever we went on long car journeys, I'd pass the time looking for interesting houses in the villages we passed through, to put in my imaginary village!
    • harz99
    • By harz99 16th Apr 19, 5:38 AM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    harz99
    Thanks for the updates AC, I was starting to wonder if you were okay.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 19, 7:17 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi Harz
    Good to hear from you again . I've been a bit turbulent over the last month , so I took a break for a while . Need to keep focused .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 19, 4:55 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Wow! Exactly 24 hrs later and not a sound . I think the family have gone away for the day. Haven't heard from the managing agents as yet. Trying not to whine on about it , but things were manageable most of the time . I think if I didn't mention anything ,then things would get worse and I'd end up complaining later on down the line anyway .

I am on the verge of selling one of my bass guitars . I got a pm from someone who will make an offer around the end of month .
    One of the cheap ones , but every little helps .

I had a Marks and Sparks chocolate bar . Yesterday . Not just one .
    It was a mountain bar . It was similar to swallowing broken glass.
    I did go on a binge of their hazelnut bars for a while , and I don't think the quality of the "nuts" are are up to standard . So much for cheaper bars of chocolate . Back to green and blacks I go.
    My new dentures I had put in last year ( 3 front ones ) are paining me which means I won't be chomping anything hard for a while .
    • harz99
    • By harz99 17th Apr 19, 6:04 AM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    harz99
    Wow! Exactly 24 hrs later and not a sound . I think the family have gone away for the day. Haven't heard from the managing agents as yet. Trying not to whine on about it , but things were manageable most of the time . I think if I didn't mention anything ,then things would get worse and I'd end up complaining later on down the line anyway .

I am on the verge of selling one of my bass guitars . I got a pm from someone who will make an offer around the end of month .
    One of the cheap ones , but every little helps .

I had a Marks and Sparks chocolate bar . Yesterday . Not just one .
    It was a mountain bar . It was similar to swallowing broken glass.
    I did go on a binge of their hazelnut bars for a while , and I don't think the quality of the "nuts" are are up to standard . So much for cheaper bars of chocolate . Back to green and blacks I go.
    My new dentures I had put in last year ( 3 front ones ) are paining me which means I won't be chomping anything hard for a while .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Aldi and Lidl both do decent fairly inexpensive choc bars at the top end of their ranges, maybe worth a try...
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Apr 19, 4:14 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 25,566 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Happy Easter AC.

Thanks for your encouragement on my diary. I know you appreciate what I'm going through from reading your diary. Like you I hope to use the time to improve my health. You have done great in that department.
    Target by end of Aug goal: 500/4000
    Car costs savings: 275
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 22nd Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Happy Easter AC.

Thanks for your encouragement on my diary. I know you appreciate what I'm going through from reading your diary. Like you I hope to use the time to improve my health. You have done great in that department.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA
    As I mentioned there , we are similar in our way to rebuild our lives and push the misfortunes and bad experiences behind us as long as it takes and push forward the way to hopefully a better and stable future in these trying times . Not easy, but we can only give it our best shot and persevere ..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 22nd Apr 19, 2:06 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hope everyone had a good Easter ,and are enjoying the good weather.
    Had only 3 glasses of cider on sat . My friend and his wife cooked me a nice Sunday roast yesterday .

Today , I saw mr. Trainer once again . This time I as measured once again head to toe ,complete with pictures etc.
    He is pure delighted at the progress I am still making . Everything has come down where it should ,and muscle growth in the right places .
    I don't have the figures to hand , but the change is bigger than expected . Obviously , I don't want to get carried away and slack, but he was telling me that a couple of people who don't normally say much to him , have mentioned that I've lost weight . That's good .
    Hopefully , that will continue .

So, as I was doing my lunch my elbow hit the fridge door causing the glass shelf to smash and orange juice all over the floor .
    I'll see if I can hopefully track a replacement on fleabay and it won't be expensive .

Regarding the neighbours ..they have been quieter . The communal door is still left open though too much for my liking .
    Not sure if the managing agents have directly contacted the landlord or weather me telling the visitor of it being too noisy did it .
    That was a week ago . I bumped into my next door neighbours on sat en route to the pub. The man, is part of the mgt co team . They both seem to like me . He did say that the landlord was taken aback when the lady upstairs had a baby and he wasn't told . Seems like their tenancy will not be renewed when this term expires .
    Interesting times .

Tomorrow , I have an appointment with my job coach at the job centre. Not sure what to expect, as it's the first appointment since I gave my 6 month fit note to them . As I say, in spite of me losing weight etc I'm still in a lot of pain and it will probably take a good 6-12 months for my hormonal situation to be corrected after finally managing to come off the prednisolone after being over 5 years on it .
    I'll go politely with an open mind ..

Just looked on my universal credit journal . The appointment has been removed from my to-do list . I'll keep an eye out and see what develops ..
    Last edited by another casualty; 22-04-2019 at 5:14 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 23rd Apr 19, 4:52 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just received a message in my universal credit journal . My next appointment is in September . It is for a further evidence appointment .
    I have all the evidence that only needs to be printed out when required .

I managed to track down a replacement shelf for my fridge freezer. Goood job I have the receipt and manual for the correct model no. as the shelves are different styles and sizes. Just over 15 which includes postage .ouch !
    Still, I've cut out the crisps and snack a jacks a couple of weeks ago so I've saved a bit there .
    I'm making one or 2 slight adjustments on the food front so hopefully this will help me lose more weight by the time I have my next measuring up session . Still treading carefully ...
    Last edited by another casualty; 23-04-2019 at 4:58 PM.
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 23rd Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 7,078 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello AC,

Congratulations on your progress with Mr Trainer, your diet & health and also to dealing with the home issues before they erupted in something a lot harder to deal with. All this while feeling the discomfort of coming off your tablets too! You're a machine!

Even with the pain you're in, you sound like you've handled all that noise and commotion better than many would - I may have to include myself in that too because I struggle with too much activity going on around me when I'm at home. Hopefully they're also feeling the squeeze of a 2 bed vs many people so are waiting too for their lease to expire to move to a better fitting place for them and to give their children the freedom their energy levels need.

Good to hear you had a good Easter and a lovely roast cooked for you too. I hope things settle down soon for you so you can fully concentrate on you again.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 23rd Apr 19, 6:05 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hello again MT
    Thanks for the kind thoughts and motivation as always .
    I have to laugh , Mr Trainer calls me machine all the time . " Beast " is one of the other ones
    Whatever he does is working , so he can call me other names I am accustomed to . He is in charge .

It's interesting that you mentioned how I handled the noise situation.
    It did feel weird with a slight raise in blood pressure when I went out and closed the door . The timing all round was odd and I couldn't explain myself properly due to language issues . If the conversation carried on I would have been like basil fawlty , so I just said "noisy"
    They're a nice family tbh , and I felt slightly wrong and embarrassed
    Still they have quietened down a lot .
    I try to be laid back as much as possible , sometimes you have to put your foot down , which is always uncomfortable imho.

I'm in a nice quiet block . The only thing is I have to be wary of many new neighbours unless the 2 above me were sold to people who actually want to live there on a permanent basis . Still , on step at a time ..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

5,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin