Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 29th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,680Posts
    • 4,369Thanks
    trailingspouse
    No Buying Unnecessary Alcohol 2018
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Alcohol 2018 29th Dec 17 at 10:47 AM
    One of my long list of ways to save money in 2018 is to use up the alcohol we already have in the house!

We stocked up for Christmas, but what with people coming round and various people staying, who all brought a bottle (at least) with them - we've got more than we started with!!

We're not big drinkers (although I'm beginning to wonder...), just a glass or two a couple of nights a week.

Here's my list of alcohol that is in my house right now. We should be able to go a fair length of time before we need to buy more!!

Red wine (my personal favourite) - 6 bottles plus two open bottles
    White wine (OHs personal favourite) - 6 bottles
    Sherry - one bottle
    One large bottle Hendricks gin - started
    One small bottle Hendricks gin - nearly finished
    A miniature Famous Grouse whiskey
    A miniature Bombay Sapphire gin
    A miniature Haig whiskey
    10 bottles of San Miguel
    Tequila
    Chinese vodka (given to OH on a business trip - we're seriously scared of it, although they also gave him some Chinese wine which was truly wonderful so maybe we're worrying unnecessarily)
    Disarrono - a full bottle and a half-used bottle
    Gordon's gin
    2 bottles of port
    Drambuie
    Co-op own brand gin (don't ask...)
    Rhucello - like limoncello, but made with rhubarb. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Coffee liqueur
    rum
    Triple Sec
    Whiskey
    Advocaat
    vodka
    Tesco's own brand rum (see above)
    Pimm's
    Calvados (holiday souvenir, can't abide the stuff)
    Grappa
    Cointreau.

Oh, and 10 bottles of Becks Blue.

We also have a large quantity of mixers/soft drinks that might help in the using up of the alcohol -

Coke (neither of us ever drink Coke) - 2 x 2 litre bottles + a case of 10x330ml cans
    Diet Coke (ditto) - 2 x 2 litre bottles (both opened!!) + a case of 10x330ml cans
    Lemonade - 1 x 2 litre bottle plus two more opened bottles
    Elderflower presse
    Schloer (pink)
    Sparkling water - 5 x Aldi's own, 1 bottle of Perrier
    tonic water - 3 bottles + 2 opened bottles
    J2O - 2 x orange and mango, 4 x sparkle berry
    cranberry juice - nearly finished
    box of fresh orange with bits
    box of fresh orange without bits

I'm not suggesting that anyone drinks more than they normally drink - just that we use up what we have. And if it takes the whole year, so be it. Think I'll finish the red wine that's been opened first, then make a beeline for the Drambuie. We've got enough advocaat and lemonade to make a goodly quantity of snowballs, which is appropriate at the moment (it's been snowing here since early this morning and isn't showing any sign of stopping).
Page 2
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 30th Dec 17, 11:16 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    That's an impressive alcohol list!! I'm a gin drinker myself so maybe try gin and tonic with ice and lemon, that's a nice wine alternative. Or you can use lemonade for a sweeter taste.
    GC Feb 18: 204.97/200 | Mar 18: 207.93/200 | Apr 18 165.53/200.00
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 31st Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Katieowl
    I might be the only person resolving to drink more next year!

I got back into the habit this month, and seem to be tolerating it better than I thought I might
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    We didn't even drink the bottle of wine we bought for xmas . If you'd told me ten years ago that I'd end up not drinking I wouldn't have believed you!
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 31st Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    Ive got one bottle of white wine left, which my husband was given at work, which Ive opened today and put a generous glug into a slow cooker veg soup Im making.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 1st Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    The best laid plans - we were at my parents for New Year. They don't really drink, but had laid in a bottle of white, a bottle of red and a bottle of champagne. They didn't get finished, so we've brought them home with us - add them to the list.
    • kraftykat
    • By kraftykat 2nd Jan 18, 4:02 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    kraftykat
    When people come to ours for a drink and bring a bottle, if there's anything left of what they brought, I just give it to them to take home with them again. Most people seem more than willing to do so.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 2nd Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    That's pretty much what my parents did!! We didn't finish the wine, so we got to bring the dregs home with us.

We finished the champagne last night - would have been rude not to...

Some of the white wine went into a fish pie this evening (white wine sauce on a school night!!). The red wine will be tackled at the weekend.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 2nd Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,639 Posts
    • 38,605 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Trailingspouse If you don!!!8217;t use the wine, Freeze it in ice cube trays and add it to stews etc as needed

I won!!!8217;t be doing dry January, but I do intend to restrict booze to weekends, no more !!!8216;wine o!!!8217;clock!!!8217; mon-thurs ....
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 3rd Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Islandmaid - that's such a good idea.

As well as not buying unnecessary alcohol, I'm also determined to use up what we've got in the freezer - so eventually there should be room for an ice cube tray or two...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 4th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Had pork chops for dinner - cooked in calvados. Very yummy. Also had a glass of wine each.
    • Shashwoo
    • By Shashwoo 5th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Shashwoo
    This is a brilliant thread. I discussed it with my husband last night and we have agreed to go through the left over drink and only buy soft drink to go with any spirits.
    This should save us quite a bit as we usually drink most weekends.

Thank you for the idea
    **1p Challenge 2017 /667.95** **Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge No# 20 32.49 /250**

1st June 2012 @ 1pm I married the man of my dreams!!!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    This is going well...

I did a favour for a friend today, and as a thank you she gave me a bottle of prosecco!!

Still, on the plus side I've used half the miniature Bombay Sapphire gin - the other half will be used tomorrow. And that will also use up some of the tonic water. Although I had to buy a lime. There really isn't any point in drinking gin if it doesn't have lime in it.

I might work out how long all this alcohol will take to get through - bearing in mind I really only have a glass of something on a Friday night and a glass of something on a Saturday night. I might find I have a lifetime supply!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,624Posts Today

7,771Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin