Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 28th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Finchy2018
    Finchy will finally be debt free!
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    Finchy will finally be debt free! 28th Dec 17 at 1:26 PM
    2018 is going to be my year. The year I pay off my debt, start new adventures and make the most of life.

I have been in debt for most of my adult lift due to previous poor choices in men I have managed to pay tons of it off and am now just trying to reduce my credit cards.
    Due to some unfortunate circumstances I will be inheriting some money which will clear my debts but until then I want to get as much paid off as possible.

I have just got a new balance transfer card which will save me some interest. That is 0% until June so need to transfer the higher rates onto that card.

I need to stop going out, start running again and stop wasting money on food. I want to get back into cooking again.

So here is just a place to visit to keep me in check!
Page 1
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 28th Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    Good luck.

Meal plan followed by shopping list.

Sarnies for sunch.

Avoid the fags, mags, lotto, caffe lattes etc as they drip drip you dry.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 28th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    Thanks! I'm not too bad on the little things - don't buy coffee, mags, lunch out but I do tend to go to the pub too much or out for dinner because I don't want to cook!

Am going to meal plan and do an online shop this afternoon. Then batch cook and freeze stuff over the weekend.
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 28th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    Your resolutions are the same as mine! I've been threatening a run for three days, haven't managed it yet!!!55357;!!!56904; Good luck x
    PAY BACK THE FUN SPEND! 38.72/137.67
    MBNA - 2233.51/2385 - 6.35%
    Emergency Fund 26/1000
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 28th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 28th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    Ha I'm on day 2 of not quite managing that run! I just need to lace up my trainers and get out there! Good luck!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 28th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,738 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 28th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    Go and run, you know you will feel so much better afterwards!
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 29th Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    I am going to do a work out today. Once I have done the actual work I need to do.

Food shop is arriving tomorrow and then I can start meal prepping. My intention is to become a hermit for a while and focus on myself.

Nothing massive planned in terms of spending today had to get bread earlier but that should be it.

Will do another balance transfer today which will mean a good chunk of my debt is interest free.

Going to take stock of cupboards and freezer and try using up or donating to free up space there.
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 29th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    Today has been somewhat successful. Mostly in that I have not had a beer. I have been drinking far too much recently and today decided enough is enough. One last hurrah for NYE and then I am on the tee total wagon for the forseeable. Very much looking forward to no hangover tomorrow.

Dinner was steak, homemade wedges and a dad looking brocolli. All stuff we already had in so today's total spend has been 1.45. I am happy with that.

I want to declutter our room tomorrow, get all the washing done and generally be an organised person.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,639 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 30th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 12th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    It's been a while since my last update. We have made progress.

I have inherited the first round of funds totalling around 20k. I will technically be debt free at the end if next week!

I just need to put this money towards good ideas and not waste it. That will be a challenge. I need to book a couple of flights and am taking a course to change careers. I will allow myself 500 to do with what I want and the rest will be saved towards my year off work.

I have been ill but aim to go back to the gym next week.

I need to meal plan and do a shop but all is good!
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 14th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    It feels so nice to not really have money worries. I did a huge food shop today and we are well stocked. It should last a couple of weeks I hope!

I'll be cooking a roast later and planning an afternoon on the sofa watching t.v. and reading.

I also need to prep some lunches for work.

I have paid all our bills for the money and I need to pay off my credit cards but I am holding off until the 2nd inheritance payment comes in.

I plan to open a new savings account that I can't easily access. I'll research that today too.

Happy Sunday everyone!
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 15th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    I have finally started working out! I did a 25 minute kickboxing cardio workout using the fitness blender channel on you tube. I will do another on Wednesday am.

Low spends today of 5 on lunch which I need to stop, we have plenty of food at home so need to prep and take to work.

I am hopeful that exercise will help my sleep issues. I forgot how fun it is too.

I want to rejoin a gym and have a dilemma. Join the cheap gym near my work or the more expensive (and nicer, has a pool) one that is opposite my house.

Or the real mse way would be lace up my trainers and do it for free at home/outside.
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 3rd Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    Already in the 2nd month of the year!

I have had a positive start to the year.

Alongside being debt free I have just had a session with my new personal trainer which was fantastic and just what I needed to. I signed up with a friend as we both like to compete against each other so this will spur us both on more.

I have enrolled in a college course. Online learning that will see me change my career in the next couple of years. My wages will drop massively to start with so my focus now will be saving as much a possible.

I'm feeling for the most part mighty positive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,187Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin