Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • north16
    • By north16 28th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    north16
    Beware -PPI search costs
    • 28th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    Beware -PPI search costs 28th Dec 17 at 10:52 AM
    I know Martin has stated you do not have to pay for PPI searches,as you can do it yourself. However those who receive unsolicited mail saying they will fight for your PPI -they can charge as much as 33% of any amount that you receive (even though they state that this money is YOURS!).
    Just read the small print before signing anything with a financial dimension to it.
Page 1
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 5th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10,075 Posts
    • 62,928 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    I know Martin has stated you do not have to pay for PPI searches,as you can do it yourself. However those who receive unsolicited mail saying they will fight for your PPI -they can charge as much as 33% of any amount that you receive (even though they state that this money is YOURS!).
    Just read the small print before signing anything with a financial dimension to it.
    Originally posted by north16
    Still means you get 67% though for doing naff all.

If you want to go the diy route thatís fine, some people arenít sure how to do it or donít want the hassle and are happy to pay a fee.

Same with things like probate etc. I recently paid £3k To my fathers solicitor, well I didnít personally because it came out od his estate, thus reducing my inheritance. Couldnít have cared less. Yes I could have done it myself but it was a messy complicated business, largely due to my sister being so awkward.

Sometimes itís worth paying a professional to do the dirty work for you.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 33,198 Posts
    • 39,142 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    No such thing as a "ppi claims professional"

Merely someone who sends out the same forms you can download for free from the forum and fills them out with the information you supply . And you pay 33% for the honour.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 5,222 Posts
    • 5,771 Thanks
    societys child
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    And you pay 33% for the honour.
    You forgot the price of the stamp . .

• BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 5th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3,215 Posts
    • 2,532 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    And it will be 33% plus VAT
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 3,395 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    takman
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    Still means you get 67% though for doing naff all.

If you want to go the diy route thatís fine, some people arenít sure how to do it or donít want the hassle and are happy to pay a fee.

Same with things like probate etc. I recently paid £3k To my fathers solicitor, well I didnít personally because it came out od his estate, thus reducing my inheritance. Couldnít have cared less. Yes I could have done it myself but it was a messy complicated business, largely due to my sister being so awkward.

Sometimes itís worth paying a professional to do the dirty work for you.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    That's a ridiculous comparison.

When you use a PPI Claims Company you still have to fill out the same information on forms as if you did it yourself. So you still do the same amount of work and get less money due to their substantial fee. Plus you have less chance of actually getting the PPI back compared to doing it yourself.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 6th Jan 18, 12:52 AM
    • 10,075 Posts
    • 62,928 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:52 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:52 AM
    Originally posted by takman
    How very rude......
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 6th Jan 18, 1:08 AM
    • 10,075 Posts
    • 62,928 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:08 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:08 AM
    No such thing as a "ppi claims professional"

Merely someone who sends out the same forms you can download for free from the forum and fills them out with the information you supply . And you pay 33% for the honour.
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    No........indeed not. They are in effect salespeople, simply selling their services. You can buy or not buy, it!!!8217;s about choice.

If someone wants to go the diy route and save themselves some dosh then great. If someone prefers to either get help or delegate a task which bores them to tears then that!!!8217;s their prerogative.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 06-01-2018 at 1:54 AM.
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3,395 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    takman
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    No........indeed not. They are in effect salespeople, simply selling their services. You can buy or not buy, itís about choice.

If someone wants to go the diy route and save themselves some dosh then great. If someone prefers to either get help or delegate a task which bores them to tears then thatís their prerogative.
    You still don't seem to be getting it!.

The claims company don't provide any help and you won't be delegating anything by using them. As I said above you will still be filling out the same information but just on different forms.

If people understand this and still choose to use them then that's their choice. But if people use them because they have seen misinformation saying it saves them time/work then that's not right.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 4,154 Thanks
    George Michael
    Originally posted by takman
    How very rude......

If you really think that's "very rude", all I can say is that until now, you must have lead a very sheltered life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

7,942Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin