Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 15,963Posts
    • 135,472Thanks
    JackieO
    New Year, New Plans and Hopes
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    New Year, New Plans and Hopes 28th Dec 17 at 9:04 AM
    Good Morning chums ,well as its almost the end of 2017 what things would you like to see change for the better in the coming year.
    Not so much resolutions, as they are far to easy to forget, and break. But actual plans, hopes and dreams ,be they small or large and why

I am hoping to detox my study of all the old rubbish accumulated over the past year , the projects started, and not finished. The books collected, yet not read.

The upcycling to be done in my conservatory, no more shilly-shallying that stool will get finished off sanding, undercoated and top coated .

The shelf I bought to be put up will jolly well get put up .The mirror that I stuck around with masking tape will be painted and hung. The print I bought back in April will be framed and hung up.Tubs in the garden will get planted with tomatoes instead of bulbs to save me some cash.

enough prevaricating, this is my master plan for 2019, so come on chums what's yours.

doesn't have to be big can be a to-do job that just hasn't been done Pick a few out and write them done and get motivated
    Lets see how many of us can polish a few of them off

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 25-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
Page 6
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 12th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 17,857 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Brilliant Thread and excellent ideas
    Evening All

I am gonna join this one - if that's Ok . Have got as far as pg 2 and have resolved to go to bed by 11 so need to get a shift on!

suki1964 - one of the things I want to fulfill this year is to actually join the clubs I said I would when I moved here 18 months ago (had broken arm; family issues that got in the way) Might these be a help to you too?? Give you something to do in the long evenings? So (just what I am gonna join - you might have different interests - I know Jackie O goes to several clubs):

1) Yoga - i already go to this (even with broken arm) but my attendance has been irregular and want to make it more regular

2) Film club in the town (not held in or near a pub) - some v interesting and unusual films + discussion and tea and biccys apparently (will let you know how it goes). Once a month.

3) U3A group which meets at the library once a month

4) Swimming at a holiday camp with someone who I have got to know once a week. holiday camp lets locals in for cheap all year round - the Council one I would like to use is v expensive and you have to pay to park

Four will do - along with my 30 items to declutter every month i.e. 30 items in 30 days!

Lets see how we do folks and lets encourage each other
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I can't believe it is mid January already! This year seems to be going really quickly.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 15,963 Posts
    • 135,472 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lynplatinum U3A is a great group to join I have been a member for about three years now and have got so much friendship and advice from lots of different people in there.Film club sounds brilliant Our local cinema have a senior's film on twice a week and its usually a film that was released previously by about two months .You get a movie, a cuppa and a biscuit for £3.00 great way to see the latest films about two months later Its always got a good turn out and you get to meet like minded folk who like me absolutely adore the cinema but don't wish to pay nearly £10 for the privilege, As I am registered disabled I also have a cinema exhibitors card which costs me £6.00 per year and I can get two tickets for the price of one which is great when my DGS visits me as we are both film lovers.I know you can see them on TV but the actual experience of going to the cinema is what delights us along with a decent film of course

My problem isn't finding something to do, its finding the time to cram everything in that I would like to do.

My two DDs say I have a far better social life than they do as I am rarely at home This afternoon I am off to a local library meet the author afternoon with a friend who is a bookworm like myself .Its all go being retired you know

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 08-04-2018 at 8:56 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    My sorting has gone up a level as I have cleaned out the car, because we are getting a new ( to us ) one on Monday. I didn't realise how much useless junk we were carrying around .
    I have also started a spending diary, a good plan I think, but will have to see if I can keep it up past February .
    Still haven't sorted the downstairs food cupboard but will do that now !
    Lovely to see so many others on this thread. Hats off to JackieO for starting it .
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Me again !
    Finished the downstairs cupboard, only the kitchen ones to do now. They will have to wait a while though, as I want to give them a good scrub when they are empty and will be busy most of this week.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 8,527 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

This year I have until the end of March to completely declutter & my DH to decorate, as my DSis is moving in for an unspecified amount of time.

So my plans for 2018 are:

1. Complete declutter of stuff
    2. Redecorate at least five rooms
    3. Use up freezer, fridge & larder contents so I can start from scratch
    4. Do more baking
    5. Be more inventive in my cooking

I think that is enough to be going on with and as far as no.4 I have baked on 2nd & 3rd of January & plan to bake today (DH very appreciative but not his waistline!)

Thanks JackieO for starting this thread.

Will pop in again at the end of the month to update on my progress.

Good luck to us all and sending positive vibes into the ether!

Mrs SD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi all you planners!

Decided to pop in mid month

1. Managing to declutter 3 or 4 items a day BUT needs to be at least five times more than that each & every day - MUST TRY HARDER

2. DH is third of the way through redecorating spare room. I have washed down the bathroom & decluttered, so will be easy to empty & redecorate. Bit behind on this one!.

3. Coming along nicely. Menu planning really does help - so far have used up fishfingers, tub of cream & cider sauce, duck breasts, half a loaf of bread, pack of bacon, box of haddock fillets, 3 crumpets and the next week will see lamb chops, mince, at least two bags of veggies, more bacon, garlic bread, tub of hm chilli, pack of puff pastry being used up.

4. Have baked 7 days out of 13 almost as much as the whole of last year! This is probably the the best of my plans if I can continue in this vein.

5. This is a slow starter - but I do need to come up with some ideas for the half used jars of stuff in the fridge. Watch this space.

Keep on planning!

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 13-01-2018 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 14th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Hi all you planners!

Decided to pop in mid month

1. Managing to declutter 3 or 4 items a day BUT needs to be at least five times more than that each & every day - MUST TRY HARDER

2. DH is third of the way through redecorating spare room. I have washed down the bathroom & decluttered, so will be easy to empty & redecorate. Bit behind on this one!.

3. Coming along nicely. Menu planning really does help - so far have used up fishfingers, tub of cream & cider sauce, duck breasts, half a loaf of bread, pack of bacon, box of haddock fillets, 3 crumpets and the next week will see lamb chops, mince, at least two bags of veggies, more bacon, garlic bread, tub of hm chilli, pack of puff pastry being used up.

4. Have baked 7 days out of 13 almost as much as the whole of last year! This is probably the the best of my plans if I can continue in this vein.

5. This is a slow starter - but I do need to come up with some ideas for the half used jars of stuff in the fridge. Watch this space.

Keep on planning!

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Well done Mrs SD, you're making inroads and that's the most important thing because otherwise we have a tendency to become overwhelmed and all good intentions fall by the wayside.

In terms of point 5 for your inventiveness, I too feel like I'm not inventive or indeed brave to try things out by myself and prefer to follow a recipe book but, I know that would lead to clutter because I will only use 2/3 recipes. Last year I got rid of some books that I don't use BUT I did buy The Savvy Shoppers cookbook by Amy Sheppard instead. Its not one of those books that you need to buy 67 million spices for. It's based around ingredients you can buy in Aldi or Lidl. Quite a lot of it is freezable too so it's ideal for me as I make 4 portions and freeze 2. I can't recommend it enough. It's been one of those books that ive gone back to frequently. My food bill is reducing as I get to grips with things as well so for me, it's been a win win. It may help you out if you're stuck for ideas.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 14th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,621 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Right Mine will be based on not wasting time. So no vegging out in frount of the tele.
    1. Keep the Garden neat try to grow more veg.
    2 Knit up all the wool I have - No buying more wool.
    3 Finish off all projects that I have started.
    4 Continue to keep the clutter down.
    5 Use the GYM more or in Summer WALK more.
    If possible arrange swimming lessons.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum
    Have decided to add sort out the finances properly. To that end I am in the process of making out a proper inventory of food stocks ect. The budget sheet is started and I have down loaded my payslips.

Jackie O thanks for the tip about Library's lending e-mags. Ive checked our and they do that here. I got a tablet for Xmas so I will be able to download mags, books and audiobooks onto that. That will cut down on thenumber of books ect in the house.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 10,572 Posts
    • 115,768 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I can't believe it is mid January already! This year seems to be going really quickly.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I was thinking exactly the same thing!

I am well outside of my comfort zone his week; I have no less than THREE mee't'greet visits - this is where prospective new dog-sitting clients bring their dogs for a visit, a cup of tea (for the owners - the dogs get a bowl of water) and a chat, to see if we are the right carers for their dogs. I have severe social phobia, so these visits are really hard for me; we had the first one yesterday (two rather delightful Cavapoos); I have one tomorrow evening, and the third Thursday afternoon. Wish me luck!

I see a lot of people have mentioned learning to swim as adults; I'm afraid I'm another who at the age of 57 cannot swim. Unfortunately, I cannot go near a swimming pool, as the chlorine smell triggers off a PTSD-type reaction, caused by a very traumatic event that occurred at a swimming pool when I was six years old.
    When we visited Iceland a couple of years ago and went to the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa, I didn't get this reaction, so it's definitely the chlorine smell that does it. I don't see a way round this, as all swimming pools seem to have that smell - any thoughts folks?
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

I am well outside of my comfort zone his week; I have no less than THREE mee't'greet visits - this is where prospective new dog-sitting clients bring their dogs for a visit, a cup of tea (for the owners - the dogs get a bowl of water) and a chat, to see if we are the right carers for their dogs. I have severe social phobia, so these visits are really hard for me; we had the first one yesterday (two rather delightful Cavapoos); I have one tomorrow evening, and the third Thursday afternoon. Wish me luck!
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Good luck.
    Books Read 24/60
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 29,653 Thanks
    suki1964
    Good luck Lamewolf

As for the swimming, are there any lidos near you? They do have chlorine as all pools have to, but because they are outside you don't smell it so much as that heady gassy smell can escape

Well for me, things are moving slowly, but still in the right direction. I tackled the bathroom today, a full bin bag of rubbish from there, a large bag of out of date tablets to be dropped at the chemist for disposal and a crate of stuff for the charity shop. I also cleared out a vast amount of CDs and emptied two drawers filled with things that didn't have a home/junk in the living room. DH was like oh don't throw away the DVDs and I'm like, we have watched them, they are going lol

I feel so much better for finally doing it and I'm keeping on top of the previously declutterd areas

Other positives have been IVE LOST WEIGHT

No idea how much but a coat which I could just about do up but could barely move my arms in, now fits . My belt also needs a new notch added to it.

It will also be two weeks without alcohol come Tuesday and I'm feeling really confident on that score. Also having these long winter evenings to fill I've gotten back into a beauty regime of sorts which in itself is making me feel better and more positive in myself. I know it's only early days but it was this day last year I quit smoking and I've stuck with that so I'm really thinking I can stick with these new plans
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 14th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 17,857 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Can we help?
    Hiya All

Mrs Salad Dodger - jars of what in fridge??? Can we help to find solutions?? List em on here and see what we know!!

Suki - brilliant progress mate! Well done! Lost weight eh??? When you work out how let me know Dont over do it and go to mad though and think of some low calorie pat on back activitiy for yourself (mine is going for a nice walk or watching a whole movie!)

OK since Im staying at my friends (house and dog sitting) - I cant actively pursue my intended goals, however, I am keeping busy. I am a member of the National Trust and so trips to gardens and houses are 'free' for me - so got one of those planned. Also went for a walk in Fowey today which is an old stomping ground for me (I used to live here as a child) and tomorrow I plan to visit Bodmin which I havent been to since I was about 10 - 12 years old! So am doing more than just sitting reading or watching TV!
    Nite all!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 10,572 Posts
    • 115,768 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Good luck Lamewolf

As for the swimming, are there any lidos near you? They do have chlorine as all pools have to, but because they are outside you don't smell it so much as that heady gassy smell can escape
    Originally posted by suki1964
    It'd still affect me even if it was outside; I have a very keen sense of smell, and what occurred was off-the-scale traumatic, and just the slightest whiff of chlorine sets me off; even posting about it is making a mite wobbly.

Just to add to the complications, I need assistance from Mr LW to dress/undress. This wasn't an issue in Iceland; they seemed to be fine with him coming into the disabled changing room with me to help; but considering I can't even use shop fitting rooms due to this, I can't see me managing to get in and out of a swimsuit very easily.

Oh well, I'll just hope he doesn't ever pitch me out of my wheelchair into the canal when we visit our favourite pub, which is canal-side.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 15th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Is it too late to join?

If not, my plans for the year are as follows:
    new sofas, as my current ones are 15 years old and totally gone
    new curtains - age is same as the sofas. Have been donated some curtains which are good for the spare rooms
    pass my current ACCA exam - do at least one class a night..
    try a new recipe once a fortnight
    update our one and only bathroom

Thanks

Hope everyone has a good week.

SIL
    Originally posted by ScotinLondon
    Afternoon all...out of my plans - we have done the following:
    ordered new sofas! only taken 5 years - had to find the right ones and hope that these are it. The current old sofas are so old - that they are going one way or another!

Have also started studying too - only two weeks worth of full classes to go through, hopefully will do it before a full month of revision for exam in March. Lets hope I do better than last time!

We did try a new recipe too: Cuban Black bean stew
    https://www.marthastewart.com/337366/cuban-black-bean-stew-with-rice
    It was nice, but does need something extra in flavour tho - so next time will be adding coriander power and smoked paprika i think. We have those already. All the ingredients we have already.

We are going to try another new recipe tonight (I hope) and it asks for dijon mustard which i don't have - i have normal english mustard. Can I use that or is there something else that i can or just leave out? The receipe is Nigella's chedder cheese risotto.

Need to get bathroom quotes next...

Have a good rest of the day all and week. Not sure when I will be posting next.

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79; F/M £124.01; M/A £40.05/£130.00
    CCC - £26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 11,099 Posts
    • 29,653 Thanks
    suki1964
    Hiya All

Mrs Salad Dodger - jars of what in fridge??? Can we help to find solutions?? List em on here and see what we know!!

Suki - brilliant progress mate! Well done! Lost weight eh??? When you work out how let me know Dont over do it and go to mad though and think of some low calorie pat on back activitiy for yourself (mine is going for a nice walk or watching a whole movie!)

OK since Im staying at my friends (house and dog sitting) - I cant actively pursue my intended goals, however, I am keeping busy. I am a member of the National Trust and so trips to gardens and houses are 'free' for me - so got one of those planned. Also went for a walk in Fowey today which is an old stomping ground for me (I used to live here as a child) and tomorrow I plan to visit Bodmin which I havent been to since I was about 10 - 12 years old! So am doing more than just sitting reading or watching TV!
    Nite all!
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum

Cheers lyn, I can't say I'm eating any differently, just no booze, from a bottle of red a night ( more at the weekends) to zero. I seriously eat very little, all my weight is down to the booze.

Lamewolf, the only other suggestion I have, is fresh water swimming. That seems to be the new thing so perhaps a Google search for a local group?

I can just barely swim. A lazy breast stroke, refuse point blank to get my face wet, if I do I panic and start to sink like others I too nearly drowned as a child in an empty swimming pool ( outside and tipping it down ). Was only a family walking by and saw me at the bottom of the pool that I was saved.

Scot, I wouldn't swap Dijon mustard for English usually. Dijon is very mild and vinegary, English is way too hot, but then cheese does need a wee lift so I might be tempted to put the tiniest amount in
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 15th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Scot, I wouldn't swap Dijon mustard for English usually. Dijon is very mild and vinegary, English is way too hot, but then cheese does need a wee lift so I might be tempted to put the tiniest amount in
    Thanks for that Suki. Don't think i have ever used Dijon mustard for anything in my life...indian spices no problem but western spices etc - am still getting my head around it.
    so, i think we might just leave it out...and then see how it goes. However, now that i am thinking of it - was it dijon or whole grain mustard. It has been a long day - can you tell??

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79; F/M £124.01; M/A £40.05/£130.00
    CCC - £26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • karcher
    • By karcher 15th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher

I feel so much better for finally doing it and I'm keeping on top of the previously declutterd areas

Other positives have been IVE LOST WEIGHT

No idea how much but a coat which I could just about do up but could barely move my arms in, now fits . My belt also needs a new notch added to it.

It will also be two weeks without alcohol come Tuesday and I'm feeling really confident on that score. Also having these long winter evenings to fill I've gotten back into a beauty regime of sorts which in itself is making me feel better and more positive in myself. I know it's only early days but it was this day last year I quit smoking and I've stuck with that so I'm really thinking I can stick with these new plans
    My hat is off to you suki1964

Well done on all counts x
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jan 18, 10:55 PM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 54,566 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    [eandjsmum - I so admire you. I have tried swimming lessons twice, albeit when I was schools (many many moons ago) but my fear of water and I think having a nasty p.e. teacher, has seen me never venture into a pool again.

I did it I went swimming although I think the teacher will have to be patient with me. I would love to swim properly and that means swimming lengths in deep water.
    When I was much younger I nearly drowned and I have been terrified of water since. I think its way past time I tackled this phobia.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum
    I was in the same position, and eventually learned to swim at the age of 37. My goodness it was tough at the start, but within a few weeks I had built up to enough lengths to make a mile. It was a real struggle for me as I have never seemed able to float in the same way as everyone else has. What really helped was remembering the advice: "don't fight the water". So as soon as I stopped fighting it,, and instead visualised myself as a baby floating in amnion (don't judge me!!!) things got easier and I found that I could actually swim. It also helps that modern pools are only 4' deep, so the chances of drowning are slim (unless knocked unconscious, in which case you're stuffed).

just the slightest whiff of chlorine sets me off; even posting about it is making a mite wobbly.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    And that is exactly why I stopped swimming! I'm not a fast swimmer by any means, so the length of time I spent in the pool doing my mile swim meant that the chlorine well and truly permeated my skin. And turned my hair to brillo in the process

I'm getting on okay with my goals for January, most of which are domestic niggles. The problem is its costing me a fortune!! But once I'm there, I can concentrate on getting on with life, and importantly turn my attention to my nice big garden

Happy to report that whilst walking this weekend I saw a perfectly manicured and flowering camelia tree - the first I've seen so far this year. How I love a good camelia!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Brilliant!
    Books Read 24/60
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 16th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Have also started studying too - only two weeks worth of full classes to go through, hopefully will do it before a full month of revision for exam in March. Lets hope I do better than last time!

Hi Scot

Are you doing any revision courses? Iím an FCCA, so well remember the exam pain. It took me five years. I struggled for 3.5 years until my employer sponsored me and then I could afford to pay for revision courses. They were a revelation, because all the lecturers had been to the ACCA lecture conferences and been tipped off about the main focus of the next set of exams.

Good luck.

We did try a new recipe too: Cuban Black bean stew
    https://www.marthastewart.com/337366/cuban-black-bean-stew-with-rice
    It was nice, but does need something extra in flavour tho - so next time will be adding coriander power and smoked paprika i think. We have those already. All the ingredients we have already.

No wonder that recipe is tasteless. It's missing some main ingredients. (I've had the benefit of having a Cuban-American friend cook me black bean stew.) There's a slow cooker version of the recipe on my blog, but at the very least, Martha's recipe needs to be augmented with the following:-

6 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1/2 teaspooon liquid smoke (2p)

Incidentally, American friends warned me off Martha Stewart's recipes years ago, saying they were unreliable. (They aren't very well proof read.) Also, there are plagiarism issues. I believe Julia Child complained that Ms Stewart lifted entire recipes out of her books, complete with spelling errors.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

771Posts Today

6,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised, for medical (via prescription) use, and/or adult's recreational use?

• Follow Martin