Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 15,972Posts
    • 135,557Thanks
    JackieO
    New Year, New Plans and Hopes
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    New Year, New Plans and Hopes 28th Dec 17 at 9:04 AM
    Good Morning chums ,well as its almost the end of 2017 what things would you like to see change for the better in the coming year.
    Not so much resolutions, as they are far to easy to forget, and break. But actual plans, hopes and dreams ,be they small or large and why

I am hoping to detox my study of all the old rubbish accumulated over the past year , the projects started, and not finished. The books collected, yet not read.

The upcycling to be done in my conservatory, no more shilly-shallying that stool will get finished off sanding, undercoated and top coated .

The shelf I bought to be put up will jolly well get put up .The mirror that I stuck around with masking tape will be painted and hung. The print I bought back in April will be framed and hung up.Tubs in the garden will get planted with tomatoes instead of bulbs to save me some cash.

enough prevaricating, this is my master plan for 2019, so come on chums what's yours.

doesn't have to be big can be a to-do job that just hasn't been done Pick a few out and write them done and get motivated
    Lets see how many of us can polish a few of them off

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 25-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
Page 4
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 2nd Jan 18, 1:28 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 8,566 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    lessonlearned

Even the virtual ones are great fun, there is so much kindess in the world, although you would never think so if you believed all you read in the papers

So this year to those of you who are re-evaluating what they want to do in 2018 find what you enjoy doing ,or have a go at something totally different you may surprise yourself at what you can do

Happy New Year to you all

JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Stopped reading newspapers years ago & stopped watching the news on tv except for once in a blue moon. DH lets me know if anything important is happening in the world. I was getting depressed with the constant bad news. Where do “they” put the good news and all the “little kindnesses” that make life enjoyable. Oh, I know - on MSE OS Forums

JackieO, Thanks for the encouragement about re-evaluating.

Happy New Year

Mrs SD
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 2nd Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,621 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Right Mine will be based on not wasting time. So no vegging out in frount of the tele.
    1. Keep the Garden neat try to grow more veg.
    2 Knit up all the wool I have - No buying more wool.
    3 Finish off all projects that I have started.
    4 Continue to keep the clutter down.
    5 Use the GYM more or in Summer WALK more.
    If possible arrange swimming lessons.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum
    I have found out about swimming lessons today. I start next Monday.

I have brought a new swimsuit specially.http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/sport-smiley-001.gif
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 2nd Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Today there is one bag ready for the cs and I have been on the x- trainer. Went to Li*l's and only bought the things I needed, I spent just over £13. . Bought a few pairs of socks with my Xmas money, luckily my feet are so small I can get away with kid's socks . They worked out much cheaper than adult ones and I didn't spend the rest of the money on stuff I didn't need either. So some more baby steps taken.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 2nd Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    suki1964
    Well I've reconnected my Wii so I'm back stepping whilst viewing , need to find my pedometer as I know I don't do the recommend steps daily. I've a job where whilst I'm on my feet all day and there's plenty of heavy lifting, there's very little walking around ( small working area, everything is no further then ten steps away)

Oh and not a drop touched my lips today . Seeing as I've still got two bottles of baileys that's really good going for me
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 3rd Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,621 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Well I've reconnected my Wii so I'm back stepping whilst viewing , need to find my pedometer as I know I don't do the recommend steps daily. I've a job where whilst I'm on my feet all day and there's plenty of heavy lifting, there's very little walking around ( small working area, everything is no further then ten steps away)

Oh and not a drop touched my lips today . Seeing as I've still got two bottles of baileys that's really good going for me
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Thanks Suki I was given a free pedometer last year I must get it out.
    Went to gym yesterday and have cooked a dinner from scratch and done 2 loads of washing since getting home.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 4th Jan 18, 3:33 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 8,566 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I really will, wholeheartedly cont8nue to de-clutter. This year I dabbled in the easy to de-clutter stuff and now I need to continue to remove the “stuff” from my house.
    I want to reduce expenditure without missing out on fun and experiences.
    Originally posted by blackcatsx2
    Hi everyone,

Blackcatsx2,
    I have been ‘dabbling’ in decluttering for nearly three years now - my excuses for not doing a proper declutter are that I have to take a bus to get to the cs or have to wheedle my DH into making trips to the tip (quite difficult as we only have a motorbike! No car). Fortunately for large items I can contact the council - they will take 5 items at no cost. Also this year have managed to find a charity that does pick ups but only if you have lots of stuff!

This year I have until the end of March to completely declutter & my DH to decorate, as my DSis is moving in for an unspecified amount of time.

So my plans for 2018 are:

1. Complete declutter of stuff
    2. Redecorate at least five rooms
    3. Use up freezer, fridge & larder contents so I can start from scratch
    4. Do more baking
    5. Be more inventive in my cooking

I think that is enough to be going on with and as far as no.4 I have baked on 2nd & 3rd of January & plan to bake today (DH very appreciative but not his waistline!)

Thanks JackieO for starting this thread.

Will pop in again at the end of the month to update on my progress.

Good luck to us all and sending positive vibes into the ether!

Mrs SD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 15,972 Posts
    • 135,557 Thanks
    JackieO
    well done chums for getting on board I have been decluttering like crazy this week and I am so pleased as I didn't realise how much unnecessary junk had accumulated in just one room. Lat two boxes of paperwork to do this morning then its on to my spare room which is 'chuck-it-in' junk heaven

Onwards and upwards chums well done suki in getting motivated and to all of you who are getting the incentive to get up and do something different baby steps will get us all there and if its not done today there is always tomorrow when twice as much will be done

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    suki1964
    I've not started the de clutter yet, that purely because it's taking all my spare time this week to get the house back to 'normal' after the Christmas and New Year after having a house full for both occasions

Also my sleep is away to pot so feeling lethargic and it's using all my reserves to get into work ATM.

Still today is day three without a drink, the longest I've gone in at least a year. That's probably why my sleep is away to pot, my normal relaxant is no more.

Mrs salad dodger, good luck with the freezer emptying, I've been at it since start of November and still having to play freezer Tetris I think I'm going to have to ease off on my refusal to throw food away, there's just not enough days in a year to eat it all. If it really is only a single portion left over or the one sausage , if no one eats it for lunch the next day, it's going ( there's 3 of us here)

I did de clutter the fridge - straight into the freezer

Next week I'm going to make a start in the corner of my bedroom. It's meant to be bookshelves with books , I decluttered the books a while back and now the shelves have become a dumping ground for all sorts of things that either need a permanent home or rehoming

That's the plan, hopefully now I've said I'll do it, I will

Sending everyone positive thoughts xx
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 5th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,621 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Left the first of my to be completed projects by the sofa , can be doing it bit by bit when News is on.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 6th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 10,069 Posts
    • 62,882 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    2018. And operation fun has started well.

Have spent lots of time with family and friends. Catching up with them and just reengaging with friends I had not seen for a while. I am so fortunate to have so many wonderful people in my life. I had to put that side of my life on hold whilst dealing with my grief and some personal issues. So I did sideline some friends for a while but they understood and are now glad to have me back.

So this year is all about reconnecting with them and also things that make me happy. No more looking back on sorrow, but looking forward and building my new happy and fulfilled life. As frugally as possible of course.

Well today the big one......

My Amazon Adventure, starts today. Driving down to my friends and then travel down together to Tilbury tomorrow to pick up the ship.

Excited and just a tad nervous. Wish me luck.

Be back in six weeks or so.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Well today the big one......

My Amazon Adventure, starts today. Driving down to my friends and then travel down together to Tilbury tomorrow to pick up the ship.

Excited and just a tad nervous. Wish me luck.

Be back in six weeks or so.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Good luck. Have a fab time. I'm sure you will!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    suki1964
    Have an amazing adventure, enjoy every moment

See you in six weeks to hear how this trip has inspired you further xx
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 6th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Lessonlearned I hope you have a wonderful time !
    Suki well done you.
    I think I've gone backwards . So I will make a concerted effort this week ! This week I need to get all the stuff out of the spare bedroom cupboard ( almost walk-in size, but without the room to walk at present ) as I need to put the Xmas stuff back in there, which has been dumped in the office ) I'm sure there are some items in that cupboard that I can release into the wild .
    On the plus side I haven't done a large food shop since Xmas except for the bread and milk and fruit on the 2nd.
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 6th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello all,

I'd like to try some ideas to improve my own life for 2018

1. Devise a way to stop the dog using the old veg plot as a personal pee place, so I can get my head around growing veg again.
    2. Keep on job hunting so I have a viable income at last, instead of worrying I will be in debt soon.
    3. If (when) get a job, save so I don't worry about losing it!
    4. Get up the courage to de-clutter OH's stuff (managed to give/donate some already). Sadder than sad when I come across his things....
    5. Make a decision as to stay or move/downsize. Hard - so many memories.....
    6. Get my head around budgeting properly to avoid overdraft.
    7. Use forum threads on here as motivation!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 6th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Hi

I'm subscribed daily to this thread but never posted.

I too would like to change the way I do a few things. I plan to:

Read more (have set myself a GoodReads challenge of 60 books for the year - wish me luck on that one, may be a little ambitious but will see)

Keep an eye on my health more - had a nasty fall before Christmas and still stiff and achy. Will monitor that one.

Try not to buy things unnecessarily - food is a problem with this area. My DH thinks I'm stockpiling for the end of the world. I think this stems back from childhood and each month I say I will watch what I'm doing (I have a spreadsheet going back to 2010 and tbf, last year overall we were down on the previous year). I know I can do better. I went to Sainsburys this morning and found myself going back around the counter to put things back, so it's a step in the right direction.

Have some more me time. I work 3 days per week so this should be doable as there is only DH and I but last year was spending days food shopping (no no this year) and trying to do jobs. I think I feel guilty about working 3 days per week (had to reduce days down due to health) and therefore fill my time with things to do. That needs to stop.

I think that's it for now suffice to say:

Jackie O - great thread and comments from you as always. If I can make myself half as careful as you with money, whilst still living life large, I'll be well happy.

Lessons learned - go enjoy that adventure. I remember you from previous threads over the years at the time your DH was poorly. Your tenacity to keep going knows no bounds. Have a great time. I'm sure your DH, mum and dad are looking down on you, saying 'there's my girl'.

eandjsmum - I so admire you. I have tried swimming lessons twice, albeit when I was schools (many many moons ago) but my fear of water and I think having a nasty p.e. teacher, has seen me never venture into a pool again.

Suki1964 - I wish you every success this year. You're facing life challenges head on and realistically. If you choose the behaviour, you choose the consequences (as Dr Phil McGraw would say).

To all other posters, let's rock 2018 !

I'll be watching daily and will post when I can.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Jan 18, 4:10 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 8,566 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi

I'm subscribed daily to this thread but never posted.

I too would like to change the way I do a few things. I plan to:

Read more (have set myself a GoodReads challenge of 60 books for the year - wish me luck on that one, may be a little ambitious but will see)

Keep an eye on my health more - had a nasty fall before Christmas and still stiff and achy. Will monitor that one.

Try not to buy things unnecessarily - food is a problem with this area. My DH thinks I'm stockpiling for the end of the world. I think this stems back from childhood and each month I say I will watch what I'm doing (I have a spreadsheet going back to 2010 and tbf, last year overall we were down on the previous year). I know I can do better. I went to Sainsburys this morning and found myself going back around the counter to put things back, so it's a step in the right direction.

Have some more me time. I work 3 days per week so this should be doable as there is only DH and I but last year was spending days food shopping (no no this year) and trying to do jobs. I think I feel guilty about working 3 days per week (had to reduce days down due to health) and therefore fill my time with things to do. That needs to stop.

I think that's it for now suffice to say:

Jackie O - great thread and comments from you as always. If I can make myself half as careful as you with money, whilst still living life large, I'll be well happy.

Lessons learned - go enjoy that adventure. I remember you from previous threads over the years at the time your DH was poorly. Your tenacity to keep going knows no bounds. Have a great time. I'm sure your DH, mum and dad are looking down on you, saying 'there's my girl'.

eandjsmum - I so admire you. I have tried swimming lessons twice, albeit when I was schools (many many moons ago) but my fear of water and I think having a nasty p.e. teacher, has seen me never venture into a pool again.

Suki1964 - I wish you every success this year. You're facing life challenges head on and realistically. If you choose the behaviour, you choose the consequences (as Dr Phil McGraw would say).

To all other posters, let's rock 2018 !

I'll be watching daily and will post when I can.
    Originally posted by CurlyTop
    CurlyTop,

I love it ... “let’s rock 2018”

My decluttering is not going well - I start on a box then get distracted by the contents, go off at a tangent & then add more to my “To Do” list SO my new plan for 2018 is

“START & FINISH ONE TASK AT A TIME”

However the baking is going well - January 2, 3, 4 & 6 plus today = 5 out of 7 days this week. My DH is appreciative but not his waistline - I have to persuade him that he doesn’t have to eat everything in one day after all I am storing everything correctly so it won’t disappear/go off!

Good luck to us all in whatever we have chosen to hope or plan for!

Mrs SD
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 7th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    wannalot
    Hello,

I’ve been lurking on this thread, finding it really interesting. I hipe it’s ok for me to add my own plans, although I think I might be the first man to do so...

Anyway, in 2018:
    1. I want to take better care of myself. I’ve only just realised the horrendous effect that 15 years combining full-time work with being a daily carer for my mother (who had diabetes, copd, arthritis and latterly dementia) has had on me physically. Mum passed on three years ago, but the bad coping strategies I used to cope all those years have not changed. I’m a fat, inactive sugar addict. I want that to change this year, so I’m going to try to cut out all added sugar (i.e. sugar from sources other than fruit) and I will try to walk every day, starting with a walk around the block and building up from there.

2. I want to save at least £5000 this year. This should be very possible for me, and would let me rebuild some savings after last years major financial commitment when I used my savings to buy my sibling’s shares of our family home (where I had lived with mum). On the one hand I am mortgage free, but on the other hand I now have less savings than I did 15 years ago! This is slightly worrying, since I am unattached and really only have myself to rely on.

3. To achieve my saving goal, I’m going to keep a spending diary, starting on payday this month, and I am going to try to keep an eye on spending of all kinds. To this end, I have already changed my energy and phone and broadband suppliers in the past month (which was unbelievably easy thanks to this site. It took me less than 30 minutes to change both) and should make savings of at least £550 per year. I also cancelled my National Lottery direct debit (£60 per month for four lines, two of which were mum’s).

4. I want to get back to using public transport more, instead of taking cabs. This will help me to get fitter (as I will need to walk more) and save a huge amount of cash!

5. I want to declutter at least 750 items this year. I’m a hoarder, but I hate the mess it makes! The house is still full of stuff which I have kept in memory of mum, but enough time has now passed that I feel I want to let some of it go. I’m going to start with mum’s clothing (good quality, smart stuff which someone should get use of). I’m going to take a few bags to a charity shop.

6. I’m going to take at least 2 holidays. These don’t have to cost a lot, but they should give me time to recharge my batteries.

7. I’m going to have at least one screen-free night per week, starting this week, and hopefully building up to a couple of screen-free nights per week. No TV won’t be too bad, but no ipad will be very difficult!

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded, but it feels great to have typed all this out! I hope 2018, brings great progress for all of us!
    January GC: £0/£110
    Aims for 2018:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    4. Lose weight!
    5. Build up some savings!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 10,577 Posts
    • 115,856 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Stopped reading newspapers years ago & stopped watching the news on tv except for once in a blue moon. DH lets me know if anything important is happening in the world. I was getting depressed with the constant bad news. Where do “they” put the good news and all the “little kindnesses” that make life enjoyable. Oh, I know - on MSE OS Forums
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I'm glad I'm not the only one; Mr LW used to have a paper every day, but has cut back to just getting one on Saturdays since he retired, and I ask him to just give me the bare bones of what's happeing, I don't want to know all the gloom and despondency.

I've been umm-ing and ah-ing about posting on this thread....

However, I have kind of started as I mean to go on, by kicking the rather poor audiologist service into touch and finding a new service provider - new hearing aids have been ordered. I shall also be switching opticians, as will Mr LW.

I am going to CEASE doing things because someone who thinks they know what's good for me better than I do myself says I ought to. I am terrible for saying "ok anything for a quiet life" and just doing as I'm told. This includes eating when I'm not actually hungry just because Mr LW declares it to be lunchtime. That way I might just shift this extra 2 stone. Don't get me wrong, Mr LW can still eat if he wishes, and I'll happily prepare the food for him (though he usually does it himself) but I won't partake just because I feel I must.

The other major thing is to get bck to driving regularly. The "default setting" at the moment is for Mr LW to do all the driving; we were in a nasty accident in April 2015, when we were almost stationary in a queue of traffic, and someone came whizzing round the roundabout and rear-ended us at speed, writing off our car. As a consequence, to this day I shake just getting into a car, and have only driven a couple of times since.
    Mr LW has some hospital tests this month, (three appointments), and the idea is that I will go along and bring the car back, then collect him afterwards, as the petrol used will be a lot cheaper than the eye-watering hospital parking charges - this will MAKE me drive at least three times. (We could park free with my Blue Badge, but then I'd have to hang around the hospital waiting for him, which is a waste of time).

Other than that - hopefully I shall continue to get Canine guests - I already have a few bookings, and I have a "meet'n'greet" visit to get to know some potential new guests - a couple of Cavapoos - on Saturday. These visits are the hardest part of the dog-sitting, as I have severe social phobia, and people scare me to death, but it has to be done.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    suki1964
    Welcome Wannalot and Curlytop

Wannalot, that why I spill my guts out on threads like this. It's out there. I've told people what I hope to achieve and know I'll get the support I need to get to the end result. It's a sort of fail safe for me. I don't want to fail as I'd feel like I'm letting you all down iykwim

Anyway it might sound mad but it works for me

It's like one time I was really overweight. And I kept trying to do something about it and didn't because no one knew so I was only cheating myself. So I joined a slimming club and having to go in every week and be weighed really helped me. There was no one telling me off if I didn't lose, just new friends encouraging me to stick with it, offering advice on where I could possibly be going wrong and really cheering me on to get to goal , and maintain it, which I did for 12 years till I hit the bottle again

So that's another challenge for me for later in the year, shift the middle aged spread and beer belly. Well I'm hoping the beer belly will shrink of its own accord as there's no alcohol going in . I am seriously a very light eater, a sandwich for lunch and then a small plate of dinner at around 7. I can honestly put hand on heart and say my " goodies " since Christmas Day have been 8 Ferraro, 2 after dinner mints, 2 mince pies, 1 slice of cake and half a pack of Lebruchen Hearts I've got 5 boxes of chocolates sat here unopened which I will rehome as I've still got shortbreads and crackers here from last Christmas lol

Anyways, I saw my friend last night who does the walking and swimming. I'll not go swimming as I'm not a good swimmer and she does length swimming, but we have talked about us going bike riding together in the evenings as soon as it gets lighter. It's already staying light till five so not too long to go. I can drive to her with the bike on the rack as she's near town and lit cycle paths

And I met her in the pub and I ordered coffee and never even felt like I wanted a drink

The decluttering of that corner starts Tuesday. I'm back to a 3 day week so I've no excuse not to plus Mr Suki is now thinking he's knocking the ceiling out to put a dormer in and once he thinks he will, means he will no doubt start in the next week or two , regardless of the weather lol

Hope everyone is still feeling positive and still moving forwards xx
    • Charis
    • By Charis 7th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    Charis
    I want to understand the techie world more. I struggle with it ALL.
    Took me all afternoon to work out how to take the back off my new phone to put the battery in
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    I find that most times I can't even find the answer to problems in the maker's manual, or on their site, so now I always Google the problem, along with the make and model, and someone, somewhere has almost always come up with a solution. There are the most random things online, either in written form or on YouTube. I'm just careful about the websites, the most helpful are often run by user groups or are connected to the supplier, like Apple users' website.

Incidentally from the end of last year, most new phones are designed to prevent you taking the back off. If you have to use a pin to open a drawer to put your SIM and memory cards in, be careful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter