Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Yorkie006
    • By Yorkie006 28th Dec 17, 12:25 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Adaptation request in privately rented house
    • #1
    • 28th Dec 17, 12:25 AM
    Adaptation request in privately rented house 28th Dec 17 at 12:25 AM
    I have a question regarding adaptations when renting from a private landlord.
    We've been renting our current property for almost 5 years now. My partner has got a medical problems that are getting worse with time.

    At the beginning of the tenancy (5 years ago), the house was completely fine. First the contract was for 1 year, then renewed by another 2 and then another 2. Now landlord has offered another 2 year extension (but also increased our rent). The problem is the my partner's health has worsened in the last 2 years quite dramatically (he's currently in the process of applying for PIP) and the house in it's current state is not suitable anymore.

    Due to my partner's joint problems, he's got trouble getting up/down the stairs (even falling a few times and going up the stair on all fours as he couldn't stand up on his own) as there is no handrail/banister for him to grab on.

    Another issue is the bathroom. There is a bath with a shower over it. My partner can't use the shower (can't stand for longer periods) so has to take the bath. But he's got trouble getting out of the bath as there is nothing for him to grab onto to get up unaided. Sometimes I have to help him but it's not easy, he weights 22 stone and I only weigh 9 so it's not exactly safe for either one of us. If there was a grab handle, it would help a lot.

    We did ask the landlord for a banister and a grab handle before, he said 'maybe'. When we asked again a bit later, the answer was the same At the time it wasn't such an issue (my partners' health was better then) so we didn't press it any further. But now he really needs to address this as it's making our lives quite difficult. I have a full time job so my partner needs to be able to get upstairs/downstairs on his own safely when I'm not home. The landlord's been aware of my partners health issues for years but so far has ignored our requests.

    In an attempt to force his hand, we told the him that we won't renew the contract unless those 2 things are sorted. If he refuses, we'll be looking for another house. So far he hasn't replied. We don't want to live in a house that's not safe/suitable and pay more money for the privilege.

    Is it reasonable to request a banister and a grab handle fitting (it's not like we're asking for a stair lift or some other major work)? If landlord refuses, is it discrimination?
    Thanks for advice.
Page 4
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 31st Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 11,520 Thanks
    Nope, heís driving her.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    She said he is largely unable to do this, which is why she is unable to rely on him to drive her to work.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 31st Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 10,448 Thanks
    She said he is largely unable to do this, which is why she is unable to rely on him to drive her to work.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    So whats the plan for ?soon? when he can't drive her to the supermarket ?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 31st Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 11,520 Thanks
    So whats the plan for ?soon? when he can't drive her to the supermarket ?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Would you like me to ask the OP on your behalf?!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 31st Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    Have you checked that your partner cannot claim benefits as a single person.?

    According to CAB

    If you're in a couple and one of you is not subject to immigration control, they may be able to claim benefits. However, in most cases that person will need to make a claim as a single person. You should seek advice beforehand as your immigration status could be put at risk.


    Housing benefit for couples where one has limited leave

    A member of a couple who has limited leave (and so who would be ineligible for HB/CTR if they were single) but whose partner is eligible for HB/CTR (e.g. a British Citizen) can receive HB/CTR provided that their partner makes the claim. Partner here means a spouse/registered civil partner or a person who is living with them as if they are their spouse/civil partner.

    For the claim to be valid both members must provide a national insurance number (or at least to have applied for one).
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 1st Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 10,448 Thanks
    Would you like me to ask the OP on your behalf?!
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Well, since you have apparently decided that the OP is unable to improve her circumstances by becoming more self reliant, and can by extension never get a different or better job or live anywhere else since she!!!8217;s trapped where she is, yes perhaps that would be a good idea.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 01-01-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 2nd Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Rather than forcing adaptations, why not look for somewhere more suitable.
    A handrail wonít safely support 22 stone when going up and downstairs. A bungalow would be much more suitable for your husband.

    It isnít a landlords job to understand your partnerís health needs even if theyíre aware of them. If 22 stone is caused by medication and lack of mobility, then a stomach staple wonít help. A healthy diet and exercise are part of treatment plans for fibromyalgia, along with medication. Carrying 22 stone of weight will damage the joints as well as the fibromyalgia. The property is safe, just not for your partners needs. Landlords get a hard time, but youíre asking them to make costly adaptations for your benefit. Are you offering to pay for them?
    Originally posted by Cheeseface
    Your answer is so obvious that I am surprised that the OP did not think of it themselves.

    Why bother trying to force a LL to make adaptations when it is clear that the property is not at all suitable for the tenants.
    • Cathe2525
    • By Cathe2525 10th Feb 18, 6:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    My suggestion, I think you would be better looking for somewhere else to live.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,197Posts Today

6,254Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin