Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 27th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 36,034Posts
    • 46,441Thanks
    McKneff
    Pulsative Tinnitus.
    • 27th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    Pulsative Tinnitus. 27th Dec 17 at 8:36 PM
    Not looking for anything medical but does anyone suffer from pulsative Tin itus.

How do you cope with it, its driving me nuts. Fine during the day but 4/5 am every morning it wakes me up, sometimes i can nod off again but mostly not.
    Whie noise doesnt help either.

Any tips please?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 27th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    • 3,236 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 27th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    I had this very much in 2013/2014 - in the end I got referred to a hospital consultant for it after I kept on at the GP about it.

Afraid I'm a covert - the hospital did provide a machine which made the whale music sound but has 7 different sound buttons from rain, birds, wood to sea waves.

I remember the first night after many months when I woke and couldn't hear it anymore after using the machine which I'd leave on during the night. It crops up every so often but never as bad as it was. As the ENT nurse loaded it up with batteries I would never have believed her but it worked.

The machine I have is called Naturcare Relaxation and grey in colour.

Other then that once serious problems are ruled out, it's deemed as one of those problems you just need to keep the mind busy, try and distract yourself.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 27th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 36,034 Posts
    • 46,441 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 27th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    I do have an appointment for ENT. the GP seems to have made his mind up that i am just hearing a pulse but I am hoping that the consultant will investigate just in case it is something else, previous things happened re bloodflow that it may be something else but hopefully they will rule it out.

I didnt realise that as you say it can disappear on using the machine, i thought the machines just covered the noise full stop. Thanks for your time.
    that give me a lot of confidence.

What makes it worse is that I have normal tinnitus in the other ear complete with whistles and bells but that comes and goes x
    Happy new year,
    Annie
    • Rachel83
    • By Rachel83 28th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Rachel83
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    I!!!8217;ve had two CT scans for it, and both have shown up no abnormalities. They haven!!!8217;t provided me with a noise machine because when I can hear it it wouldn!!!8217;t be appropriate to use it.
    They!!!8217;ve given me a hearing aid that produces noise to try train my brain out of hearing it...
    And I also have to remember to put on background music or something when I!!!8217;m conscious of hearing it.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 28th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 16,718 Posts
    • 281,727 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    • 28th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    Pulsatile tinnitus can come from fluid in your inner ear canal - i know how incredibly intrusive it can be but it does pass. As others have suggested above, there are coping mechanisms out there but it won't hurt to get a thorough investigation anyway.

Good luck
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 28th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 36,034 Posts
    • 46,441 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 28th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    Youve all given me hope that i am not stuck with it for life. My appointment isnt till 1st feb. Will just have to grin and bear it till at least then
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 28th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 24,041 Posts
    • 62,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 28th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    Sympathies, McKneff. My tinnitus varies, but never goes away. The pulsating is not permanent. My audiologist did send me for a blood pressure check, though.

As said, we just have to learn to live with it. For some reason my whole head was ringing last week.

Do you normally have tinnitus?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 28th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 28th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    You definitely don't have to learn to live with it, but it can be a slow process to get to the right help and then to get the right treatment. I had a year or so under an ENT Consultant and then finally a referral to the tinnitus clinic (hopefully your area has a more direct referral process), and I now have the following aids.

http://www.puretoneretail.net/mm10.html

It's a long process but they definitely make a difference. Not sure how freely available they are on the NHS given the high cost.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 6th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 39,168 Thanks
    Glad
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    There is a lot of help and advice here
    https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

I suffered with unilateral tinnitus a few years ago, it lasted about 12 months but did go away
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • GSPGirl
    • By GSPGirl 10th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    GSPGirl
    I have tinnitus occasionally as a result of thyroid issues, it is a common thyroid symptom
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 24,041 Posts
    • 62,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    You definitely don't have to learn to live with it, but it can be a slow process to get to the right help and then to get the right treatment. I had a year or so under an ENT Consultant and then finally a referral to the tinnitus clinic (hopefully your area has a more direct referral process), and I now have the following aids.

http://www.puretoneretail.net/mm10.html

It's a long process but they definitely make a difference. Not sure how freely available they are on the NHS given the high cost.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson

Your first sentence bucked me up. However, the link soon put things in perspective - the product is simply a masker, available from most NHS tinnitus therapists anyway.

My lovely therapist was very supportive, providing a number of aids for me to try and keep, if I wished.

I have had tinnitus since 2000; I have learned to live with it.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Sligo
    • By Sligo 15th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Sligo
    I have tinnitus occasionally as a result of thyroid issues, it is a common thyroid symptom
    Originally posted by GSPGirl

Yes this is me too! I suffer with pulsatile tinnitus due to an overactive thyroid. When my thyroid levels are suppressed to a normal level I don't suffer with it but if they get a bit off kilter it comes back

• MontyMoo
    • By MontyMoo 21st Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MontyMoo
    I can sympathise completely!
    I have suffered with this for a few years now. I had a CT scan and was found to have an enlarged vein in my neck. I take a low dose of blood pressure medication which works well at keeping it quiet. I do notice it in the evenings if I have forgotten to take them though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

610Posts Today

6,649Users online

Martin's Twitter