Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bleo89
    • By bleo89 27th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bleo89
    What are my chances? Santander appeal
    • 27th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    What are my chances? Santander appeal 27th Dec 17 at 4:45 PM
    Hi all

Recently applied for a Santander mortgage. 69% LTV, DIP accepted and sent to full application.

Went to underwriters but it has been declined due to affordability.

I believe this is because my credit report still shows that I owe debt (loan, credit card etc) despite me paying it all off, completely clear, a few days before the mortgage application.

The Experian file won't update until early January.

Mortgage broker asked me to send him statements showing my clear balances and he'll appeal with Santander.

What are my chances, do you reckon? Anyone had appeal success? And how long does it usually take?

Cheers in advance.
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 27th Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 10,469 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 27th Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    Follow your brokers advice. Santander are an unpredictable Lender but you may get a result here.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 27th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 58,490 Posts
    • 51,854 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 27th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    Asked rhetorically. How did you manage to clear all of your debts just before submitting a mortgage application? Certainly something an underwriter may well question in their minds.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Clacecel
    • By Clacecel 8th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Clacecel
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    This wasn't to do with a mortgage, but a loan application to Santander. My husband applied for a 15K loan from Santander. We own our home outright, value approx 220K, My husband has a loan already with Santander with approx 9K outstanding. Neither of us has EVER been late with a payment, or missed a payment on anything. My husband has a gross annual income in excess of 60K per year and I have a small pension, and he has two credit cards with zero balances (if used, the balance is always cleared the same month). We have no other debts. We each have some savings with Santander. The loan application was declined !!! Go figure !! The explanation was that "it didn't currently meet the loan criteria" !!! The point I am trying to make is that there is no rhyme or reason to santanders decisions on anything... Good luck with your appeal. Frankly, we are currently moving our accounts away from Santander. If my husband did not meet their criteria, then who on this earth does ????
    Last edited by Clacecel; 08-02-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,287Posts Today

7,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin