Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • a&akay
    • By a&akay 27th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 523Posts
    • 189Thanks
    a&akay
    Nationwide account closure now online
    • 27th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    Nationwide account closure now online 27th Dec 17 at 9:48 AM
    After seemingly trialing this online and then reverting to posting paper forms, closure of their bank and savings accounts are now back online. Closed 7 of them in about 2 minutes.
Page 1
    • alanq
    • By alanq 27th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 2,612 Thanks
    alanq
    • 27th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 27th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    I have never had to resort to paper forms but had to wade through Help to discover that I needed to send a particularly worded Secure Message to request to close an account. It is good news that this procedure has now been simplified.
    Last edited by alanq; 28-12-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 28th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 28th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    If you are due any interest from accounts you close, how does one receive this?
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 28th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    If you are due any interest from accounts you close, how does one receive this?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    The system asks you if you would like it paid in to another account or by cheque.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 29th Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    The system asks you if you would like it paid in to another account or by cheque.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    Considering I had only 1p left in the easy access account I thought asking them to pay it by cheque was a bit cheeky.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 29th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    Considering I had only 1p left in the easy access account I thought asking them to pay it by cheque was a bit cheeky.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    I have kept a cheque from Lloyds as a memento due to its stupidity!
    I closed an account (still had one live) and they sent me a cheque for **0.05** (which may have been the interest!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 29th Dec 17, 11:22 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    • 29th Dec 17, 11:22 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 11:22 PM
    Still needs human intervention though. Closed an account 48 hrs ago; still showing on Internet Banking.
    Ethical moneysaver
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 30th Dec 17, 3:48 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 2,308 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:48 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 3:48 AM
    Why actually close a Nationwide account. Why not leave a little in it. They are one of the very few that actually reward you for staying, whereas most of the others reward you for being new. There is a saying about better the devil you know!
    • a&akay
    • By a&akay 30th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    a&akay
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 30th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    Why actually close a Nationwide account. Why not leave a little in it. They are one of the very few that actually reward you for staying, whereas most of the others reward you for being new. There is a saying about better the devil you know!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Totally agree, but it you've got 14 still open then I can think of 3 reasons.

1. They clog up your opening screen. I can now see all mine without scrolling.
    2. On the assumption it costs to keep them active, then of benefit to all mutual members.
    3. Can make a transaction that you didn't intend to.
    • Deneb
    • By Deneb 30th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Deneb
    Why actually close a Nationwide account. Why not leave a little in it.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    For me, it was to close last year's Flex Regular Saver, now converted to a Flex Saver and dormant with a nil balance as I transferred the money elsewhere and opened a new Flex Regular Saver.

I have always requested closure of Nationwide accounts by secure message in the past, but used the new facility this year.

I suspect Nationwide grade their messages and processes, because I used secure messaging to report a lost cheque last week and received an almost instant reply confirming its cancellation.

Closure requests usually take a few days in my experience, but thgen why would you need that to be instant?
    • alanq
    • By alanq 12th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 2,612 Thanks
    alanq
    Closure requests usually take a few days in my experience, but thgen why would you need that to be instant?
    Originally posted by Deneb
    Indeed. My procedure is always to transfer all but the minimum balance elsewhere (which happens very quickly) before requesting account closure (which may happen not so quickly).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,047Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin