Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 26th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 709Posts
    • 291Thanks
    The Palmist
    House with Static Lodge - now with RM link
    • 26th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    House with Static Lodge - now with RM link 26th Dec 17 at 7:44 PM
    Hello Folks,

I am keen on a property which is 3 bed semi and has got a rather nice lodge in the garden. The lodge is fully fitted and has a master bedroom, 2 small rooms an open plan kitchen and lounge and a washroom.

Vendor's son has been living in it with his wife and 2 kids for 12 months.

They want to sell the lodge and house as a package.

As nice as it is, I think I will benefit more from a purpose built annexe.

The grounds this property sits in are larger than average.

I was also thinking than not buying the lodge may help me save on SDLT. In the event that I do end up buying both, is it advisable to purchase lodge separately.

Any other thoughts welcome.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/62289520
    Last edited by The Palmist; 27-12-2017 at 8:45 PM.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
Page 5
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 28th Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    There was planning(11/00069/FUL) for 5 car parking spaces off the B road for the grave yard where there is now a dropped curb and a gate.

It was identified in the recomendation to refuse that it would provide easier access for crime on No.44 property.

later was approved with conditions, if it still looks like street view 2015 it may have had the wall and dropped curb then little further work done.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    I.am ever so grateful for that information. I have seen some work in the graveyard compounds but it doesn't look anything other maintenance, it could be parking spaces in progress. Gate is there and it appeared to me that gate is for graveyard entrance. I will have a walk around and have another look. With the gate which is always open, I doubt car parking spaces will add to the risk.

Surprised at 42 with really small boundary fence that you can just walk over on the side alleyway and on the graveyard side. I am inclined to knock on their doors and have a chat.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 28th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 32,172 Posts
    • 19,327 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I love playing with the planning portals that have maps, good practice for finding stuff locally.

that infill development just down the B road on the right had a few enforcement order made.

Map interface to planning

zoom in and play with the filters on the right.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 28th Dec 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I wouldn't spend much time walking around the place until you've heard from the sellers regards your offer. The likelihood is that they'll reject 200k, so it's a waste of time doing much more research right now.
    If they accept, then you can go and do some legwork. If you uncover anything too unsavoury just pull out.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 28th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    I wouldn't spend much time walking around the place until you've heard from the sellers regards your offer. The likelihood is that they'll reject 200k, so it's a waste of time doing much more research right now.
    If they accept, then you can go and do some legwork. If you uncover anything too unsavoury just pull out.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Good tip..I do have a little flex to increase and contemplating whether to start low or go in one best offer.

I would be selling on in 10 years so wouldn't want to pay over the odds.
    Last edited by The Palmist; 28-12-2017 at 1:54 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 28th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 30,691 Posts
    • 58,117 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I rather like the whole package....house for me and "lodge" for OH and all his hobbies.....result! (subject to survey, vacant possession and all necessary permissions etc)

Originally posted by sleepymans
    I too would be delighted to have the static caravan. A bonus as far as I am concerned I wouldn't pay extra for it though, any more than I would for a shed, a greenhouse or a hot tub.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 28th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    My Mrs has been on my case all day so I have given in and offered 210K, now tick tock tick tock
    • Mgman1965
    • By Mgman1965 28th Dec 17, 9:19 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Mgman1965
    If they accept, when you exchange, get your solicitor to examine the contract very closely to make sure they haven't (as seems to be becoming standard practice these days on any land/garden bigger than a postage stamp) inserted an uplift clause, as they can be very onerous, some even covering extensions to the main residence, and seen them range from 20 to 50yrs.

Especially as PP is highly likely as already been granted (although now lapsed).
    Last edited by Mgman1965; 28-12-2017 at 9:23 PM.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 28th Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    If they accept, when you exchange, get your solicitor to examine the contract very closely to make sure they haven't (as seems to be becoming standard practice these days on any land/garden bigger than a postage stamp) inserted an uplift clause, as they can be very onerous, some even covering extensions to the main residence, and seen them range from 20 to 50yrs.

Especially as PP is highly likely as already been granted (although now lapsed).
    Originally posted by Mgman1965
    Great tip..I was oblivious to it but will now keep in mind.
    • Mgman1965
    • By Mgman1965 28th Dec 17, 9:40 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Mgman1965
    It's sellers these days wanting their cake and eating it.

Saw one on a house for sale with a large garden (but no PP, even lapsed), that covered any development, even the present house (so even if you extended it for your own use) that was for 50yrs and 50% of the rise in value .

They can put buyers off, and some lenders don't like them as they don't like lending on properties with conditions attached for many years.
    Last edited by Mgman1965; 28-12-2017 at 9:43 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 29th Dec 17, 5:43 AM
    • 32,172 Posts
    • 19,327 Thanks
    getmore4less
    My Mrs has been on my case all day so I have given in and offered 210K, now tick tock tick tock
    Originally posted by The Palmist
    I did not do any price research but from what others have indicated wonder if that is a little on the high side.
    A place are worth what someone will pay and if you have said places with land are scarce that may be worth more just for that.

I have not looked any wider to see if this is a general thing around there but with two properties next to each other that have had planning lapse I wonder if there is something about the site that they both uncovered that makes the builds a bit more expensive.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 29th Dec 17, 5:46 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    I did not do any price research but from what others have indicated wonder if that is a little on the high side.
    A place are worth what someone will pay and if you have said places with land are scarce that may be worth more just for that.

I have not looked any wider to see if this is a general thing around there but with two properties next to each other that have had planning lapse I wonder if there is something about the site that they both uncovered that makes the builds a bit more expensive.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Thanks...I am intending on using the land for recreational use rather than development....well for the next few years anyway.

Planning application was made by previous owner who I have tried to track with little luck. I would love to hear their experience of living there and planning etc.

PS. Going through planning maps was great fun.. thanks
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 29th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    Anyone had an experience with purplebricks. ....does your offer is being considered means it has been seen by the vendor, seems a more generic message to me as I got it as soon as I made the online offer.

I called them but the helpdesk person wasn't so sure and said they will ring the local estate agent to call vendor.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 4th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    Finally after multiple chases we got a response saying sorry cannot accept your offer.

No counter offer.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 10,724 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    No counter offer.
    Which may indicate the vendor does not regard you as a serious purchaser or does not think a deal can be struck.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 5th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ProDave
    The "lodge" is distracting from the REAL issue here.

The property has a large side garden. It previously had (now lapsed) planning permission to build 2 new semi detached houses there. The presence of "the lodge" may have helped him get that planning.

If you just want an ordinary semi with an ordinary garden, I would buy the whole lot, reinstate the planning and then sell the side garden as a building plot.

But a MUCH better idea would be buy the whole lot, then wait until you have built up more capital yourself, and seek planning for a single detached house. Sell the semi, keep the plot and build the detached house for you. You even have the static caravan to live in while you build (though you might need to move it to a different location so it's not in the way).
    Last edited by ProDave; 05-01-2018 at 3:00 PM.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 5th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    Which may indicate the vendor does not regard you as a serious purchaser or does not think a deal can be struck.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Possible and on the flip side I believe they must have read that market will pick up and holding out for more buyers.

And since it is purple bricks they have already paid for one year of marketing and it's been less than 3 months.

We have room to maybe stretch to 225 but a lack of counter offer doesn't inspire confidence.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 5th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    The "lodge" is distracting from the REAL issue here.

The property has a large side garden. It previously had (now lapsed) planning permission to build 2 new semi detached houses there. The presence of "the lodge" may have helped him get that planning.

If you just want an ordinary semi with an ordinary garden, I would buy the whole lot, reinstate the planning and then sell the side garden as a building plot.

But a MUCH better idea would be buy the whole lot, then wait until you have built up more capital yourself, and seek planning for a single detached house. Sell the semi, keep the plot and build the detached house for you. You even have the static caravan to live in while you build (though you might need to move it to a different location so it's not in the way).
    Originally posted by ProDave
    The caravan put in by current owners 12 months or so ago, PP was with previous owner.

Detached House sound like a good idea but we wouldn't want to share the drive and parking gardens etc. with whoever is living in semi. I would rather enjoy the spac for my own benefit.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 5th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ProDave
    The caravan put in by current owners 12 months or so ago, PP was with previous owner.

Detached House sound like a good idea but we wouldn't want to share the drive and parking gardens etc. with whoever is living in semi. I would rather enjoy the spac for my own benefit.
    No you split the plot so you each get your own garden and parking.
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 18th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    The Palmist
    right so new year and seen from purple bricks that there has been more viewings an another offer.

My final offer was 230K and was rejected so seems there are people willing to pay more.

I am over it but Mrs. Palmist wouldn't let go. What do you think guys, I may have room for another 5K.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Jan 18, 3:35 PM
    • 10,724 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    You started out saying "200K with lodge, 180K without". You then offered 210K, then 230K, and you're now thinking 235K. Which as a buyer I would reject as I'm sure you'll offer 240K!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter