Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kayej
    • By kayej 26th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kayej
    Vibration noise from under house
    • 26th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    Vibration noise from under house 26th Dec 17 at 5:00 PM
    HI, I found a thread on this which is closed & it was never resolved. Both myself & 7 neighbours have been tormented by an underground vibration coming from under the house for the past 2.5 years. Please note - This is NOT The Hum. This sounds like a generator / pump as it goes on & off at different times & when I first heard it, I thought it was a car revving it's motor outside the house (there was no car). I sleep in the basement rooms but also can hear it when sitting on the sofa. The tenants in the 1st & 2nd floors do not hear it.
    Since talking to neighbours the whole house next door hears it & around 4 other properties all next door to each other - some hear it who live in the upper levels & in some properties only people living in the basement hear it - presumably due it being low frequency & different people hearing different levels. It is mainly when lying in bed or sitting on furniture that it is worse.
    I started complaining to the Council, Environment Services & they even sent officers around in the middle of the night however they (seemed like security staff from a nightclub) & basically accused me of being strange, hearing things & having an inner ear problem (even after I had advised my neighbours had heard it). The Council put in a vibration monitor which shows a vibration coming from down the road but they don't know from where & simply keep saying that unless their officers hear it, it cannot be determined to be a statutory issue. They did put rubber mats under the bed but when I advised them that it didn't help they said it also must be air borne & therefore have no idea.
    I contacted Thames Water who have no idea what they are doing & assured me that they have checked their water pumps & it cannot be them - I don't believe them.
    We have had 2.5 years of sleepless nights 90% of nights. We are desperate. Does anyone have any ideas please? Also is this the correct thread?
    Last edited by kayej; 26-12-2017 at 5:21 PM.
Page 2
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 13,971 Posts
    • 18,397 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Ear plugs don't deal with the real problem in cases like this, which is largely an emotional one.

If the sound is so ephermeral, it shouldn't be causing lack of sleep; it's the reaction to the sound which does that.

Those with tinnitus cannot 'escape' via ear plugs, or whatever, so they either learn to accept and ignore it, or they don't. Those who find acceptance hard are probably the worst affected, where the noise is really loud and obtrusive, but that's not like this sound.

However, I believe some people find white noise generators or recordings of use, so that's an avenue to explore.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I have been hearing a low frequency sound not unlike the noise the OP describes for three or four years now. When I first started hearing it, it really wound me up. At one point I was driving around the countryside in the early hours fruitlessly trying to locate the source, assuming that it was an inconsiderate local farmer operating heavy machinery at night. I even checked out the nearby sewage plant because the noise sounded similar to a pump.

I started to believe that it was inside my head until I realised that it decreased or disappeared altogether depending on my location. For example, in Australia I don't hear it at all despite staying some places with little or no background noise. As soon as I get home it is back as loud as ever.

This best advice I can give the OP is just to accept it and get on with life. As soon as I did that, I found that I could sleep without playing eight hour tapes of thunderstorms or waves crashing on a beach.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 16-04-2018 at 7:28 AM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,132Posts Today

6,590Users online

Martin's Twitter