Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kayej
    • By kayej 26th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kayej
    Vibration noise from under house
    • 26th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    Vibration noise from under house 26th Dec 17 at 5:00 PM
    HI, I found a thread on this which is closed & it was never resolved. Both myself & 7 neighbours have been tormented by an underground vibration coming from under the house for the past 2.5 years. Please note - This is NOT The Hum. This sounds like a generator / pump as it goes on & off at different times & when I first heard it, I thought it was a car revving it's motor outside the house (there was no car). I sleep in the basement rooms but also can hear it when sitting on the sofa. The tenants in the 1st & 2nd floors do not hear it.
    Since talking to neighbours the whole house next door hears it & around 4 other properties all next door to each other - some hear it who live in the upper levels & in some properties only people living in the basement hear it - presumably due it being low frequency & different people hearing different levels. It is mainly when lying in bed or sitting on furniture that it is worse.
    I started complaining to the Council, Environment Services & they even sent officers around in the middle of the night however they (seemed like security staff from a nightclub) & basically accused me of being strange, hearing things & having an inner ear problem (even after I had advised my neighbours had heard it). The Council put in a vibration monitor which shows a vibration coming from down the road but they don't know from where & simply keep saying that unless their officers hear it, it cannot be determined to be a statutory issue. They did put rubber mats under the bed but when I advised them that it didn't help they said it also must be air borne & therefore have no idea.
    I contacted Thames Water who have no idea what they are doing & assured me that they have checked their water pumps & it cannot be them - I don't believe them.
    We have had 2.5 years of sleepless nights 90% of nights. We are desperate. Does anyone have any ideas please? Also is this the correct thread?
    Last edited by kayej; 26-12-2017 at 5:21 PM.
Page 1
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 26th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 26th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    At what times does it go off on and on?

roughly what age is the property?
    • bris
    • By bris 26th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    bris
    • 26th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    A ground heat source pump maybe?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 26th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 8,044 Posts
    • 8,888 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 26th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    Basement tanking / sump pump

Saniflo / toilet pump

Sewage pump

Water booster pump to high rise flats

Very slow bank robbers
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 26th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 26th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    Keep a diary and note down when you hear it, also note anything else occurring at the same time, weather, other noises, traffic conditions etc etc.

Over a few months you should (or might) be able to notice a pattern which should (or might) enable you to narrow down the cause.

You might want to suggest the same thing to the rest of your neighbours that hear it.

Or you could move.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 27th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    You mention you're in the Thames Water supply area. Has where you live ever been subject to groundwork or historical activity? e.g if house built after ww2, or built on top of pump of sorts. Do any of the manholes in the street vibrate? Is it stronger in some places than others?
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 27th Dec 17, 12:54 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:54 AM
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:54 AM
    Are you sure it's not the neighbour with her Rabbit?
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Dec 17, 7:22 AM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 92,538 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 27th Dec 17, 7:22 AM
    • 27th Dec 17, 7:22 AM
    There seems to be a huge amount of disbelief on both sides here, but it's no wonder, when nothing has been properly recorded, or quantified.

martinthebandit's suggestions are spot-on. You, and any neighbours who are sufficiently concerned, need to keep and compare records, doing more yourselves to track the sound down, which is always going to be easier at night.

This doesn't mean using expensive equipment. For example a digital recorder should pick this up on a sensitive setting, while something as simple as a filter funnel attached to a piece of wood could be used to listen at drains etc if you think that's the origin.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 27th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 27th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    Siesmological activity? Ghosts? Rock band?

But seriously do try and make a recording and a note of happenings. If it is a hum it is likely to be from machinery a low hum probably from electrically driven ones.

I can hear our central heating pump, quietly, and a little bit of hum from electrical cable but exceedingly low level. It can be useful to use a rod between objects and the side of your head near your ear to amplify the noise or an engineer's stethoscope. These are often used by technicians to listen.

Noises can travel underground and along pipes so not always easy to locate without building up a picture of times and places. So, collect some irrefutable evidence.
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 27-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 28th Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,342 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    It's very difficult for the authorities in these cases.

For years my mother could hear a high pitched whining noise - as a family, we put it down to tinnitus, but she was adamant that it was coming from 'outside'. In fact she decided it was from the streetlamp outside their house. My Dad couldn't hear it, and neither could we. The people responsible for the streetlamp even came out and listened, but couldn't detect anything.

She visibly relaxed when she was at our house, and always commented on how much better she slept, as there was no noise.

This went on for years, until one day the street lighting on their road was upgraded. And the noise stopped.

So, you have my sympathy - but I also sympathise with the authorities, who really can't start doing anything until they can work out what the problem actually is.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 28th Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 14,382 Posts
    • 77,697 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I get the impression from the OP that the council may also be saying that the noise may not be loud enough to come under their remit.

You can get earplugs ....
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 28th Dec 17, 10:04 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    unforeseen
    It sounds as though being a low frequency then the sounds going to manifest itself as a physical sensation so ear plugs may not be that effective.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 92,538 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Ear plugs don't deal with the real problem in cases like this, which is largely an emotional one.

If the sound is so ephermeral, it shouldn't be causing lack of sleep; it's the reaction to the sound which does that.

Those with tinnitus cannot 'escape' via ear plugs, or whatever, so they either learn to accept and ignore it, or they don't. Those who find acceptance hard are probably the worst affected, where the noise is really loud and obtrusive, but that's not like this sound.

However, I believe some people find white noise generators or recordings of use, so that's an avenue to explore.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 30th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 2,457 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    You have my sympathy. Ever since the Victoria Line was upgraded, myself and neighbours have been able to hear/feel each and every train which runs up and down the line. I live about a 10 minute walk from the nearest station and the line passes under the far end of my road, but the vibration affects the actual structure of my house so is impossible to escape.
    Oh, and I have tinnitus too!
    • a&akay
    • By a&akay 30th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    a&akay
    A long shot, but it may be water hammer propagated via the direct mains cold feed to the various properties. Hammer is usually a knocking noise but I've have a continuous vibration that could sound like a hum to some at a distance. The cold water pressure will increase at night as there is far less draw off than during the day. Cold feeds can be on differing habitation levels. When it happens turn on a cold tap fully nearest your cold incomer. If the hum ceases straight away then it is.
    • Redwhale
    • By Redwhale 14th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redwhale
    Same problem
    Hi I've had this same problem for over 3 years now with the same response from the environment agency noise monitors picked up on unusual frequencies and an idling diesel generator sounds i feel it under my feet in my bed and often a heavy buzzing feel and sound..but with no solution ..infra sound and vibrations are usually linked to an illegal grow operation going on and i have suspected this in the property next to mine, they are the type and there has been unusual activities but authorities won't act upon my concerns even tho their had been enough evidence to warrant an action and how my health has been battered but all this humming droning vibrational noise ..other causes can be sewer pumping stations but no authorities will show any responsibility so looks like we have no choice but to suffer horribly whilst the culprits carry on there merry way grrrrr
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 15th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 14,382 Posts
    • 77,697 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Hi I've had this same problem for over 3 years now with the same response from the environment agency noise monitors picked up on unusual frequencies and an idling diesel generator sounds i feel it under my feet in my bed and often a heavy buzzing feel and sound..but with no solution ..infra sound and vibrations are usually linked to an illegal grow operation going on and i have suspected this in the property next to mine, they are the type and there has been unusual activities but authorities won't act upon my concerns even tho their had been enough evidence to warrant an action and how my health has been battered but all this humming droning vibrational noise ..other causes can be sewer pumping stations but no authorities will show any responsibility so looks like we have no choice but to suffer horribly whilst the culprits carry on there merry way grrrrr
    Originally posted by Redwhale

Why would an illegal grow operation cause infrasound? Is cannabis that noisy?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 15th Apr 18, 8:18 AM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Have a google for anti vibration mats, if you put them under your bed feet and make sure it's not against a wall that may help you get a decent nights sleep.

I find problems are a bit less 'emotional' after a decent nights sleep.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Apr 18, 8:59 AM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 92,538 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Is cannabis that noisy?
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    One does get a buzz from it.

That's only what I've read, of course. I grew up in the 60s, when we were all too busy getting our Duke of Edinburgh Awards to consider nonsense like smoking weed whilst watching the Stones in the Park or Pink Floyd at UFO.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 15th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Why would an illegal grow operation cause infrasound? Is cannabis that noisy?
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    That would be the extractor fans needed to vent all the heat from the grow lamps.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin