Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 25th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 712Posts
    • 1,321Thanks
    laurag89
    No more excuses - It is time to get serious
    • 25th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    No more excuses - It is time to get serious 25th Dec 17 at 11:09 PM
    New Diary - New Start!

Im not going to wait until 1st Jan, I need to get serious about clearing my debt now!
    I have been clearing debt and putting it back on for as long as I can remember - and I am never going to get rid of it once and for all unless I stop making excuses.

So a little about me: I am 28 (29 in March), Homeowner with a mortgage, and engaged (Getting Married June 2019). Also I have been debt for around 10 years now - which thinking about it is scary because that tells me that for all of this time I have been horrendous at managing my money.

There is absolutely no excuse, I earn pretty decent money for my area - around 30K a year with bonus annually, and I have taken on a second job on a Sunday purely to save for this wedding and to clear my debts. I only take 72 per month on my second job as only work two Sundays a month.

I have to pay the balance on my wedding dress in January which is 1300 and I'm ashamed to say I already know I need to take a 0% credit card for purchases to front the money. My second job is to pay for this specifically although I now plan to continue it after the wedding to clear my debts.

Shameful breakdown:

Very - 0% and will be paid before interest free ends: 249.28

First Direct Loan - (Consolidation a while ago): 10,550.32 - payment on this is 277.64 per month

Lloyds CC - 0% for 30 months - 3271.81

Total Debt: 14,071.41

So I am aiming to have this paid off in 3 years maximum which means I need to be paying 390.87 per month which is basically what I am paying now!

However my circumstances are due to change in Feb as our mortgage payment comes down so I will have another 180 spare to pay to my debts.

Anyway sorry for the long story, but after my wedding dress I am putting nothing onto credit cards! That is the hardest part of the battle for me! Tomorrow I am going to start a fresh with survey sites and all money earned will be going to credit cards!
    Total debt to pay: 14,071.41/ Remaining debt: 13,792.36: Amount Paid: 279.05

Survey xmas 2018 savings: 10 / 150
Page 4
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    ramblehan
    I'm doing the under 10K happy dance for you! Every milestone, no matter how slight is all a step in the right directionxxx
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 2nd Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    I'm doing the under 10K happy dance for you! Every milestone, no matter how slight is all a step in the right directionxxx
    Originally posted by ramblehan
    Thank you so much, it's weird but such a nice feeling to see it under 10k.

• Money spending mummy
    • By Money spending mummy 2nd Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Money spending mummy
    Hi Laura

Just one thought with the Prolific Academic surveys, why not wait until you have 20 then there are no fees to deduct when you cashout.

You seem to be doing well with your debt reduction. Well done!

MSM
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 2nd Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Hi Laura

Just one thought with the Prolific Academic surveys, why not wait until you have 20 then there are no fees to deduct when you cashout.

You seem to be doing well with your debt reduction. Well done!

MSM
    Originally posted by Money spending mummy
    That is a very valid point!! I will do that from now, i think i was being impatient thank you

• laurag89
    • By laurag89 5th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Worked my second job yesterday, which was hard as I have been ill all weekend Didn't go into my main job today as woke up feeling horrendous.

Had a no spend weekend which was good as did not feel like doing a lot

Had the renewal come through for my cat insurance today - they wanted double the amount to last year which i kind of understand because we did make a claim, but I shopped around and found it a lot cheaper with Asda through top cashback with 44 cashback which will go to the credit card!

Just working through the survey sites, I haven't been on as much as hoped so I need to catch up.

• laurag89
    • By laurag89 6th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    My shoes sold on eBay for 20 yay! So i have transferred 20 to my credit card!
    Going to look for some more things to sell now!

Had the dentist today - 4 fillings and i was preparing for the cost of it, but turns out what i paid last time covered today's so should now have more left at the end of the month for my credit card

• laurag89
    • By laurag89 6th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Total on Lloyds credit card now: 3215.00

Feeling a little down in the dumps today! Not sure if its linked to feeling under the weather, but down about my debt, relationship with husband to be isn't great imagine I'm pushing him away. Feeling down about myself - just generally don't think that highly of myself and feel cast out of my family. My sister has 4 children and I have none.

A lot of things happened and my sister barely talks to me anymore - i actually didn't cause this she did because she suffered mentally after pregnancy and I took the brunt of that - but my mum goes over to hers to see her all of the time and I am left out.

Sorry for the whole I am so hard done by post, but right now thats how I feel and I shouldn't because I know some people in the world have much bigger worries than I do

• laurag89
    • By laurag89 8th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Feeling better today and 32 minimum payment has gone to Lloyds credit card today

I have 7 on prolific which im now waiting until I get to 20 before I cash out!

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 12,392 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Just popping in to cheer you on. Well done on sorting this now before the debt gets out of hand. What was the first direct loan for? It is quite a significant amount.

I think you were right to put your bonus towards your wedding savings. You also need some emergency savings.

If you are working lots and feeling under the weather that will impact on your mood so look after yourself. Re the sister situation. I have 2 adult daughters and see one regularly as I look after her 2 year old DD for one day a week and she lives locally and is expecting her second so I try and support her. My other daughter doesnt have children and lives further away so I go up and spend weekends with her and we do thinks like meals out, spa and theatre trips etc. You dont have a lot of spare time but when you do maybe offer to do some babysitting for your sister or suggest you and your mum go for an MSE afternoon out like a walk or watch a film together or coffe out within budget of course? I am sure they dont mean to leave you out but you must have less free time and less need of help as you dont have kids at the moment. In 5 years time it could be the other way round. You could have young children or a baby and your sisters kids will be more independent so she wont need your mums help as much. Maybe talk to them if it is really bothering you?

Good luck on the debt reduction. 15k is a lot for a wedding so looking for economies is good. My DD and son in law did their own table decorations, kept wedding favours cheap and didnt use expensive photographers, cars or flowers. I think they spent most on the honeymoon and the food and drink but they got a package and kept the numbers as low as possible.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 8th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver, i think feeling under the weather made me feel sorry for myself when really I shouldn't! Your completely right in years to come the tables may turn and i will have young kids and my sister wont.

The first direct loan was a debt consolidation from a while ago, i recently moved it to first direct from another provider as got a much better rate - it used to be even larger than this i was very silly with money.

Im trying to save an emergency fund at the same time as paying the debt have 100 so far, so will try to add to this month.

I get another small bonus in February of a few hundred so hoping to save half and pay half to debt.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 12,392 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    On the positive side you are still young and have realised your mistake. You have a house and are saving for a wedding. Yes the debt consolidation on to the loan was not good and building up a credit card afterwards but if you failed to address it when you did your debt would be much higher. You are doing the right things now.

Also, stop smoking if you have not already. It affects both your finances and your health and particularly if you want children at some point.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 8th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    On the positive side you are still young and have realised your mistake. You have a house and are saving for a wedding. Yes the debt consolidation on to the loan was not good and building up a credit card afterwards but if you failed to address it when you did your debt would be much higher. You are doing the right things now.

Also, stop smoking if you have not already. It affects both your finances and your health and particularly if you want children at some point.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

Your absolutely right I should look at the good things I've achieved.

Adding to credit cards after debt consolidation was silly but will never do that again.

I haven't stopped smoking but i really want to I dont know why I lack the will power so badly.

• laurag89
    • By laurag89 9th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    I can confirm that the Lloyds card now stands at 3186.70 after my payments and the minimum payment! On payday I will be paying 190 to it to bring it under the 3000 Mark.

Thank you enthusiasticsaver for planting the seed in my mind again to stop smoking, today i have a patch On and i am going to quit! I am going to get back into the gym and focus on my health and fitness instead of focusing on smoking and negative thoughts

• Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 9th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Hi Laura, just checking in. Good to see it's going well. Getting that Lloyds card under the 3k mark will be a good achievement!

100% agree with Enthusiasticsaver on the smoking. Even putting health to one side, the cost is horrendous. I still never forget a few years ago (I was a teenager at the time) when my Mum saw a new car in a show room that she wanted (not a particularly cheap one either) and my Dad worked out that the monthly payments on the new car was less than she was paying every month for cigarettes. That was a real eye opener. She never did stop smoking, and she never did get the new car that she wanted!
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 9th Feb 18, 11:34 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Hi Laura, just checking in. Good to see it's going well. Getting that Lloyds card under the 3k mark will be a good achievement!

100% agree with Enthusiasticsaver on the smoking. Even putting health to one side, the cost is horrendous. I still never forget a few years ago (I was a teenager at the time) when my Mum saw a new car in a show room that she wanted (not a particularly cheap one either) and my Dad worked out that the monthly payments on the new car was less than she was paying every month for cigarettes. That was a real eye opener. She never did stop smoking, and she never did get the new car that she wanted!
    Originally posted by Mahsroh
    Hello Mahsroh!
    I hope your well?

Agree on the Lloyds - i know it will still be high but under 3000 for me I think will really give me a further push to get it gone!

Wow that really does put into perspective just how expensive it Is, and it also shows just how much of a hold smoking has if we are still unable to quit even knowing we could get something we really want instead. I moved to hand rolling with tobacco to Make it cheaper but still now it's like 12 per pack, that is a lot of money.

• Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 9th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Hello Mahsroh!
    I hope your well?

Agree on the Lloyds - i know it will still be high but under 3000 for me I think will really give me a further push to get it gone!

Wow that really does put into perspective just how expensive it Is, and it also shows just how much of a hold smoking has if we are still unable to quit even knowing we could get something we really want instead. I moved to hand rolling with tobacco to Make it cheaper but still now it's like 12 per pack, that is a lot of money.
    Originally posted by laurag89

All good from my side, thanks. Not much to report on reducing my debt. This month was always going to be tight due to a large one off bill, but I've managed to pay a little more than minimum payments on my cards and save a little. The old me would have ended up sticking a couple of hundred quid on a card in this scenario, but I've been super careful with my money so far! It feels great!!
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 9th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    All good from my side, thanks. Not much to report on reducing my debt. This month was always going to be tight due to a large one off bill, but I've managed to pay a little more than minimum payments on my cards and save a little. The old me would have ended up sticking a couple of hundred quid on a card in this scenario, but I've been super careful with my money so far! It feels great!!
    Originally posted by Mahsroh
    Even though it may not feel like it that is a huge achievement, just getting though a tough month being able to pay more than minimum payments and not falling back on habits of using a card is amazing!

Im the same i always used to think that i could just stick a bit on my credit card if it got a bit tough but i have also stopped thinking that way

• laurag89
    • By laurag89 19th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    sorry for the lack of posting, I had my wisdom tooth removed and have been in agony so have been sleeping mostly!

proud moment - I bought my bridesmaids dresses and get this -28 each in the sale!! I'm so impressed with myself, I love them aswell.

This is day 4 of being a non smoker so doing well, feeling better for it already.

1 week till payday so not much to report until them on the debt front. I have neglected my surveys but getting back into it tonight!

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 19th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Well done on the bridesmaid dresses that!!!8217;s amazing! You are doing so well planning a wedding and paying off debt :-)
    • laurag89
    • By laurag89 21st Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    laurag89
    Well done on the bridesmaid dresses that!!!8217;s amazing! You are doing so well planning a wedding and paying off debt :-)
    Originally posted by Rachel24
    Thank you

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter