Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4,508Posts
    • 5,822Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    Boots Sale
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    Boots Sale 24th Dec 17 at 11:28 PM
    Now on but taking ages to go through check out....

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Fri 9 Feb: Speculation as to when Boots will boost its 'up to 70% off sale' to 'up to 90% off' has been around for a few weeks. Here's our Boots sale write-up with all the info we have so far, we'll update it when we know more.

Big thanks to Mimi Arc en ciel for starting the discussion!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 09-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 5
    • Gaia
    • By Gaia 12th Jan 18, 7:51 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Gaia
    I asked in Boots yesterday about the 70% sale and was told that they didn't know yet if there would be one this this year, they hadn't been told. But if there was going to be one then it would be wihtin the next couple of weeks.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 12th Jan 18, 8:10 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    I asked in Boots yesterday about the 70% sale and was told that they didn't know yet if there would be one this this year, they hadn't been told. But if there was going to be one then it would be wihtin the next couple of weeks.
    Originally posted by Gaia
    Staff know full well there will be one, just a matter of when...
    How else will they get rid of the stock, as previous post mentioned; a lot of people wait for further reductions nowadays and with some stores having such heavy reductions prior to Christmas I think Boots need to re-think their strategy.
    I guess it must be still selling for Boots to reduce to 70% as late as they do (at least a week later than other high street chains barr Debenhams who seem to hang on to their stuff forever!!) but you'd think Boots would want to get shut of it all earlier so they can get the shop looking fresh for Mother's Day and Easter, both of which fall early this year.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,624 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think itís the 70% off sale thatís causing the high stock levels at stores still. I remember when I first went years ago although very well known on here not so much everywhere else. Now everybody seems to know that at some point in January boots will flog the xmas stock at 70% so why buy it at 50% when you can wait a few weeks. The sale really has become a victim of its own success.
    Originally posted by sarahj1986
    However there's not guarantee that you will get what you want in the 70% sale - esp with the rugby scrum in store (and missing items, damaged packaging etc) so if there are things people really want, 50% off is still a worthwhile deal.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 12th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 18,734 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Staff know full well there will be one, just a matter of when...
    How else will they get rid of the stock, as previous post mentioned; a lot of people wait for further reductions nowadays and with some stores having such heavy reductions prior to Christmas I think Boots need to re-think their strategy.
    I guess it must be still selling for Boots to reduce to 70% as late as they do (at least a week later than other high street chains barr Debenhams who seem to hang on to their stuff forever!!) but you'd think Boots would want to get shut of it all earlier so they can get the shop looking fresh for Mother's Day and Easter, both of which fall early this year.
    Originally posted by Africat
    Last year they removed a lot of gift sets from shelves prior to the 70% only for people to notice them appear full price again in time for Valentines.
    Last edited by Blueyez; 12-01-2018 at 1:44 PM.
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 12th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    Last year they removed a lot of gift sets from shelves prior to the 70% only for people to notice them appear full price again in time for Valentines.
    Originally posted by Blueyez

Correct - the Boots No7 big gift set was not in the 70% sale. I asked staff about it on the day and they said they had all been put away ready to bring out for Valentines. People also noticed that some of the large sets appeared in an online sale later in the year at the 50% price even though they had been in the 70% sale. Come on Boots - if they didn't sell with 70% off they are not going to sell at 50% off later in the year. We're not that daft!!
    • sampan26
    • By sampan26 12th Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    sampan26
    The cheek of it! I couldn't believe it!! I don't think they'd ever sell them this time round though, what with the amount of stock.
    It must all be in stores now, as the website hasn't much on there!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,624 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Didn't some stores also break down the sets to sell as separate items? Though that might have been an urban myth
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Africat
    • By Africat 12th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    Correct - the Boots No7 big gift set was not in the 70% sale. I asked staff about it on the day and they said they had all been put away ready to bring out for Valentines. People also noticed that some of the large sets appeared in an online sale later in the year at the 50% price even though they had been in the 70% sale. Come on Boots - if they didn't sell with 70% off they are not going to sell at 50% off later in the year. We're not that daft!!
    Originally posted by catswiththumbs
    Yeah you're right... they did with that one, of no interest to me though.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 20,178 Posts
    • 33,415 Thanks
    Spendless
    Originally posted by Gaia
    Yeah, that gets said every year.

Think it's about time someone put the Boots rules up.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 12th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    ....come to think of it, I haven't noticed any large No7 sets left in the sale this year. Guessing either already been removed or they didn't produce as many to begin with, probably the latter!
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 12th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 4,459 Thanks
    dlusman

Originally posted by Spendless

1. By day of sale in Jan this thread will be up to approx 157 pages.
    2. Every other post is a newbie asking which Wed the sale starts on.
    3. Loads of people swear blind that last year it started a week earlier than it
    actually did.
    4. Each Tuesday's posts contain details of someone's sister's neighbour's friend's
    boyfriend's Mum, who knows someone who works in a Boots store, who swears
    blind its DEFINITELY starting that Wednesday.
    5. A few hardcore MSE'ers stay up til 3am on the website just incase it does start.
    6. Wed morning: sale doesn't start. A few individuals who didn't know are still
    sitting outside their local branch refusing to believe it in the vain hope the staff are
    still "putting the signs up".
    7. There's always ONE store who c0cks up and accidentally DOES start a week early. And the tills don't knock the discount off but the enthusiastic SA's overrides the til to give the discount, until the manager re-reads his fax from head office. So one lucky
    forumite always gets lucky by accident.
    8. The Tuesday evening before it DOES start theres always at least one grumpy git
    store manager who swears blind they "won't be having a 75% sale at all as they
    haven't sold enough at 50%". And he's been told this on a fax from head office, so
    he knows for definite. Honest guv.
    9. Someone's dog's sister's collegue's friend's Mum overhears 2 SA's chatting
    about the need to put the signs up that evening after the store is closed. She asks
    SA1 who gives her an icy stare and denies all knowledge. SA2 later sidles up to her
    in the shampoo isle and gives her a knowing wink and a whisper of "Are you a
    friend of Martin? Don't let on I told you but it IS tomorrow".
    10. Boots stores are full of MSE'ers casing the joint, sizing up whats left and
    deciding on their route round the isles/plan of attack for the morning.
    11. The lovely MSE'er whos flat overlooks a Boots store does a reccy in her pyjamas around midnight to double check the signs are up.
    12. Half of us stay up to buy online. About 2am Boots put up "the holding screen"
    which is a picture of Skeletor with a bad fake tan, and giant white teeth, in a ski
    hat. Everyone gets excited. Website crashes completely.
    13. 4am Site back online, complete with Mr FakeTanTeeth. Those who are able (and still awake) fill their baskets ready for when 75% discounts kick in. Website crashes, holding screen back up.
    14. 6am. Website back, discount applied, sales goes live but all baskets back to
    being empty. People start frantically refilling baskets.
    15. 6.01am. Website crashes.
    16. 7am Queues start forming outside Boots stores. Always a fat chav in leggings
    accompanied by 2 shopping trollies who is first in the queue. She wants everything
    "for the kiddies charity party next year, you cant say no at such a good price".
    Translate this as "it'll be going on ebay or at the boot sale".
    17. 8/9am stores open. As doors unlock staff look a bit disgusted that people have
    been desperate enough to queue. Stampede into store. Everyone gets seriously
    pee'd off with the ignoramous with the trolley who is sweeping entire shelves of
    goodies off in one fell swoop, having blocked off the isle at both ends.
    18.Think all female rubgy scrum.
    19. Bemused husbands/dads stood at ends of isles to recieve full baskets/trollies/
    bags and act as guardian while wife goes back for more.
    20. Small child crushed under weight of Gok sets placed ontop of pram while
    Mother scrabbles under shelving for dropped advantage card.
    21. Innocent passing elderly couple who just called in for some fibogel get caught
    up crush but too overcome with amazement of discount to complain.
    22. 9.30am Queues at tils bigger than the 8am queues outside. People staggering
    out of stores laden down with bags, like a heat of Worlds Strongest Man.
    23. 10am. Boots run out of carrier bags.
    24. 11am. Website back up but everything sold out.
    25. 1pm. Stores everywhere sold out. Shelves empty like desecration after a swarm
    of locusts has decended, bar some Yardley gift sets and half the contents of a Fern hatbox.
    26. A lucky MSE'er who forgot all about it just happens to wander past a local Boots store on her way back to work from the a dentist's appointment. The 75% sale is on, but they have stumbled upon the only Boots in the country that no-one else has been to. Rows and rows of No7 gift sets and plenty of Joules bags left. No pushing, no shoving, the whole Boots store to herself, with SA's kindly holding her bags for her.
    27. Thats it. Done and dusted. All over for another year
    • Africat
    • By Africat 12th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    It IS really quiet!

Africat - so true about the Nivea at Wilko compared with Boots! I checked the dofference before xmas; £10 boots gold bag, £6 in Wilko. I think Boots add a lot on. Proven with the Zoella calendar scandal this xmas!
    I think people are wise to Boots being over the value of the gift.

In other news; anyone else fed up of the sea of pink- Soap& Glory?! Madness that thereís so much left! I mean TONNES of the pink sets; large, bags, make up. Their sales must have plummeted this year!

Iím definitely going to the sale, but not sure on what i actually want!?
    Originally posted by sampan26

What was the Zoella Asvent Calendar scandal all about?
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,624 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think at over 30 I'm outside of the target demographic of the Zoella calendar - so I have no clue thankfully - apparently she put a lot of thought into all the items that went into it...nuff said really....
    JAN NSD 11/16

• balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 12th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 41,069 Thanks
    balletshoes
    What was the Zoella Asvent Calendar scandal all about?
    Originally posted by Africat
    basically - at full price it was £50 wasn't it? It was half an advent calendar (ie 12 days, not 24) and the items in it were worth about a pound each (rubbish like a pencil, a teeny tiny notebook, a votive candle, even a little bag of sparkle confetti (so not even worth a pound) was in one of the doors. Her calendar was literally ripped to pieces in blogs.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 12th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 18,734 Thanks
    Blueyez
    basically - at full price it was £50 wasn't it? It was half an advent calendar (ie 12 days, not 24) and the items in it were worth about a pound each (rubbish like a pencil, a teeny tiny notebook, a votive candle, even a little bag of sparkle confetti (so not even worth a pound) was in one of the doors. Her calendar was literally ripped to pieces in blogs.
    Originally posted by balletshoes
    That about sums it up. It was knocked down to £25 even before Christmas but was still not selling after all the terrible (truthful) reviews. My tiny local boots had three shelves of them this Monday, along with other things from her range.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 12th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 18,734 Thanks
    Blueyez
    actually did.
    4. Each Tuesday's posts contain details of someone's sister's neighbour's friend's
    boyfriend's Mum, who knows someone who works in a Boots store, who swears
    blind its DEFINITELY starting that Wednesday.
    5. A few hardcore MSE'ers stay up til 3am on the website just incase it does start.
    6. Wed morning: sale doesn't start. A few individuals who didn't know are still
    sitting outside their local branch refusing to believe it in the vain hope the staff are
    still "putting the signs up".
    7. There's always ONE store who c0cks up and accidentally DOES start a week early. And the tills don't knock the discount off but the enthusiastic SA's overrides the til to give the discount, until the manager re-reads his fax from head office. So one lucky
    forumite always gets lucky by accident.
    8. The Tuesday evening before it DOES start theres always at least one grumpy git
    store manager who swears blind they "won't be having a 75% sale at all as they
    haven't sold enough at 50%". And he's been told this on a fax from head office, so
    he knows for definite. Honest guv.
    about the need to put the signs up that evening after the store is closed. She asks
    SA1 who gives her an icy stare and denies all knowledge. SA2 later sidles up to her
    in the shampoo isle and gives her a knowing wink and a whisper of "Are you a
    friend of Martin? Don't let on I told you but it IS tomorrow".
    11. The lovely MSE'er whos flat overlooks a Boots store does a reccy in her pyjamas around midnight to double check the signs are up.
    12. Half of us stay up to buy online. About 2am Boots put up "the holding screen"
    which is a picture of Skeletor with a bad fake tan, and giant white teeth, in a ski
    13. 4am Site back online, complete with Mr FakeTanTeeth. Those who are able (and still awake) fill their baskets ready for when 75% discounts kick in. Website crashes, holding screen back up.
    14. 6am. Website back, discount applied, sales goes live but all baskets back to
    16. 7am Queues start forming outside Boots stores. Always a fat chav in leggings
    accompanied by 2 shopping trollies who is first in the queue. She wants everything
    "for the kiddies charity party next year, you cant say no at such a good price".
    Translate this as "it'll be going on ebay or at the boot sale".
    17. 8/9am stores open. As doors unlock staff look a bit disgusted that people have
    been desperate enough to queue. Stampede into store. Everyone gets seriously
    pee'd off with the ignoramous with the trolley who is sweeping entire shelves of
    goodies off in one fell swoop, having blocked off the isle at both ends.
    18.Think all female rubgy scrum.
    19. Bemused husbands/dads stood at ends of isles to recieve full baskets/trollies/
    bags and act as guardian while wife goes back for more.
    20. Small child crushed under weight of Gok sets placed ontop of pram while
    21. Innocent passing elderly couple who just called in for some fibogel get caught
    up crush but too overcome with amazement of discount to complain.
    22. 9.30am Queues at tils bigger than the 8am queues outside. People staggering
    out of stores laden down with bags, like a heat of Worlds Strongest Man.
    23. 10am. Boots run out of carrier bags.
    25. 1pm. Stores everywhere sold out. Shelves empty like desecration after a swarm
    of locusts has decended, bar some Yardley gift sets and half the contents of a Fern hatbox.
    26. A lucky MSE'er who forgot all about it just happens to wander past a local Boots store on her way back to work from the a dentist's appointment. The 75% sale is on, but they have stumbled upon the only Boots in the country that no-one else has been to. Rows and rows of No7 gift sets and plenty of Joules bags left. No pushing, no shoving, the whole Boots store to herself, with SA's kindly holding her bags for her.
    27. Thats it. Done and dusted. All over for another year
    Originally posted by dlusman

I imagined this as a Little Britain type sketch.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 12th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    Originally posted by balletshoes
    Wow!! that's pretty poor...
    Seen some left in a store near me but not bothered to have a look at it (not for my generation, I don't even know who the said Zoella is!!)

• Katgrit
    • By Katgrit 12th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Katgrit

Originally posted by Spendless
    Oh wow they were my rules from back in 2013!! I'm glad people still chuckle over them.....here they are with a few tweaks and one important amendment......the MSE'er who's flat overlooks a Boots store is "sale_me_up_"......she's not been around for a couple of years but she was a godsend doing a reccy for us in her pyjamas!

For those of you new to this heres what happens, by law, every single year:

actually did.
    4. Each Tuesday's posts on this thread contain details of someone's sister's neighbour's friend's boyfriend's Mum, who knows someone who works in a Boots store, who swears blind its DEFINITELY starting THAT Wednesday.
    6. THAT Wed morning: sale doesn't start. A few individuals who didn't know are still
    sitting outside their local branch refusing to believe it in the vain hope the staff are still "putting the signs up".
    7. There's always ONE store who c0cks up and accidentally DOES start a week early. And the tills don't knock the discount off but the enthusiastic SA's overrides the til to give the discount, until the manager re-reads a fax from head office. So one lucky forumite always gets lucky by accident.
    8. The Tuesday evening before it DOES actually start theres always at least one grumpy git store manager who swears blind they "won't be having a 70% sale at all as they haven't sold enough at 50%". And he's been told this on a fax from head office, so he knows for definite. Honest guv.
    about the need to put the signs up that evening after the store is closed. She asks SA1 who gives her an icy stare and denies all knowledge. SA2 later sidles up to her in the shampoo isle and gives her a knowing wink and a whisper of "Are you a friend of Martin? Don't let on I told you but it IS tomorrow".
    11. The lovely MSE'er sale_me_up whos flat overlooks a Boots store does a reccy in her pyjamas around midnight to double check the signs are up.
    13. 4am Site back online, complete with Mr FakeTanTeeth. Those who are able (and still awake) fill their baskets ready for when 70% discounts kick in. Website crashes, holding screen back up.
    16. 7am Queues start forming outside Boots stores. Always a fat chav in leggings accompanied by 2 shopping trollies who is first in the queue. She wants everything "for the kiddies charity party next year, you cant say no at such a good price". Translate this as "it'll be going on ebay or at the boot sale".
    17. 8/9am stores open. As doors unlock staff look a bit disgusted that people have been desperate enough to queue. Stampede into store. Everyone gets seriously pee'd off with the ignoramous with the trolley who is sweeping entire shelves of goodies off in one fell swoop, having blocked off the isle at both ends.
    8.Think all female rubgy scrum.
    19. Bemused husbands/dads stood at ends of isles to recieve full baskets/trollies/bags and act as guardian while wife goes back for more.
    20. Small child crushed under weight of FCUK sets placed ontop of pram while
    21. Innocent passing elderly couple who just called in for some fibogel get caught up crush but too overcome with amazement of discount to complain.
    22. 9.30am Queues at tils bigger than the 8am queues outside. People staggering out of stores laden down with bags, like a heat of Worlds Strongest Man.
    23. 10am. Boots run out of carrier bags. The helpful stores let you take the big blue mesh bags out of the store to your car to empty your goodies into the boot and back seat, so longas promise to bring them STRAIGHT back. The REALLY helpful stores aren't daft, they're handing out black bin bags instead.
    25. 1pm. Stores everywhere sold out. Shelves empty like desecration after a swarm of locusts has decended, bar some Yardley gift sets and half the contents of a joules hatbox.
    26. A lucky MSE'er who forgot all about it just happens to wander past a local Boots store on her way back to work from the a dentist's appointment. The 70% sale is on, but they have stumbled upon the only Boots in the country that no-one else has been to. Rows and rows of No7 gift sets and plenty of Soap & Glory bags left. No pushing, no shoving, the whole Boots store to herself, with SA's kindly holding her bags for her.
    27. Thats it. Done and dusted. All over for another year!

Glad to be of service!

Kat xx
    Last edited by Katgrit; 12-01-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 12th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    Yes makes me laugh every year, Ahhh the Gok sets, lol.

I'd tag one more onto it...

...28: then we all sit back and relax with a cuppa and come back to this thread to report our stories of the day and list our purchases.... Phew; that's all birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day and the Christmas shopping sorted in one hit...
    • traceya89
    • By traceya89 13th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 926 Posts
    • 8,903 Thanks
    traceya89
    so does anyone think it will be this wednesday? so i can book a few hours off work. last year it was friday 20th cos i was up early on my actual birthday to wait outside Boots for it opening!
    Just about to give up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,190Posts Today

8,743Users online

Martin's Twitter