Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4,508Posts
    • 5,821Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    Boots Sale
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    Boots Sale 24th Dec 17 at 11:28 PM
    Now on but taking ages to go through check out....

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Fri 9 Feb: Speculation as to when Boots will boost its 'up to 70% off sale' to 'up to 90% off' has been around for a few weeks. Here's our Boots sale write-up with all the info we have so far, we'll update it when we know more.

Big thanks to Mimi Arc en ciel for starting the discussion!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 09-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 3
    • BadlyWrittenPoem
    • By BadlyWrittenPoem 8th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    BadlyWrittenPoem
    By my reckoning it was always the Wednesday that fell 13th-19th January until last year when it was put back two days to Friday so my guess is Friday 19th for this year.
    • Desperado99
    • By Desperado99 8th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    Desperado99
    Had a shufty in branch today (not the one I'll be heading to, but just while I was passing ), seemed to be mainly S&G (which no-one I know really likes) and some ridiculously priced make-up brush sets (£80 at full price) that might be worth it at 90% off lol.

Just a reminder to make sure you upload any advantage card deals to your card before the day (my offers section on the website).
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 20,161 Posts
    • 33,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    Had a shufty in branch today (not the one I'll be heading to, but just while I was passing ), seemed to be mainly S&G (which no-one I know really likes) and some ridiculously priced make-up brush sets (£80 at full price) that might be worth it at 90% off lol.
    Originally posted by Desperado99
    The make up brushes are brand Real Technique and 1 can cost as much as £20 (I have a teenage make-up freak), though Superdrug often do a buy 1 get 1 half price offer on them. That's the only thing I would consider getting on 70% off day to stash away. Last night I saw for the first time another set, same brand but 'gold metallic' colours which full price was £100. Both sets are still far too expensive to buy at 50%.

I booked my AL for this year and didn't include my 'guess' date for Boots. I doubt I have the hols and to take it unpaid just to grab bargains seems counter productive.

Is it me or is this thread quieter than usual?
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 49,582 Thanks
    kerri gt
    The make up brushes are brand Real Technique and 1 can cost as much as £20 (I have a teenage make-up freak), though Superdrug often do a buy 1 get 1 half price offer on them. That's the only thing I would consider getting on 70% off day to stash away. Last night I saw for the first time another set, same brand but 'gold metallic' colours which full price was £100. Both sets are still far too expensive to buy at 50%.

I booked my AL for this year and didn't include my 'guess' date for Boots. I doubt I have the hols and to take it unpaid just to grab bargains seems counter productive.

Originally posted by Spendless
    It is quieter than usual - not sure if people are a bit disillusioned with some of the gifts / quality or after being caught out last year (people that had booked leave for a Wed and wasted a day, then couldn't rearrange for the Friday) have just gone in and decided to buy any items they want at 50%. Or it could be that people don't want to miss out and have been queuing for days outside Boots and their phones are all flat
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 9th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 18,725 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Just been nosing around for this thread Last years move from a Wednesday had thrown a little as to when it would be. I popped into the smaller store in town yesterday and there was so much Soap & glory & Zoella stuff left! Lots of other calendars too.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 20,161 Posts
    • 33,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    It is quieter than usual - not sure if people are a bit disillusioned with some of the gifts / quality or after being caught out last year (people that had booked leave for a Wed and wasted a day, then couldn't rearrange for the Friday) have just gone in and decided to buy any items they want at 50%.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I'd guessed at the Wednesday last year, but by pure chance booked the Wed/Thurs/Fri off. Both my parents had been hospitalised over the previous few weeks and I needed some time at home to help them out. This year, I've already had some AL already, took Thurs/Fri last week to spend time with kids in their school hols and need another Jan date due to DD taking an external exam, what's left of the Boots stuff just doesn't seem worth another day off.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 9th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat

Yep, defo seems quieter than usual...

Maybe people are tired of the same stuff packaged differently each year or maybe people are just wising up to the fact that there are better bargains elsewhere?
    Wilko reductions went down to 75% Off today and whilst their range may not be to the same standard as Boots you can get much better bargains on Nivea gift packs and the like, great to just break down and use throughout the year.

The Friday actually suits me better than the Wednesday; I wouldn't waste a days holiday on a Wednesday but don't mind so much with Friday if I have the annual leave to spare as it comes with the added bonus of a long weekend.
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 9th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Two weeks into the boots sale and we are only on page 3. In previous years it would!!!8217;ve into 100+ by now, had the bubble burst for the Boots gifts?

I went into the Stratford Upon Avon town centre today and it looked almost exactly the same as it did before Christmas! It is only a small store but I was amazed at just how much was left. I!!!8217;d say there!!!8217;s probably 80% still left there.
    • sampan26
    • By sampan26 9th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    sampan26
    It IS really quiet!

Africat - so true about the Nivea at Wilko compared with Boots! I checked the dofference before xmas; £10 boots gold bag, £6 in Wilko. I think Boots add a lot on. Proven with the Zoella calendar scandal this xmas!
    I think people are wise to Boots being over the value of the gift.

In other news; anyone else fed up of the sea of pink- Soap& Glory?! Madness that thereís so much left! I mean TONNES of the pink sets; large, bags, make up. Their sales must have plummeted this year!

Iím definitely going to the sale, but not sure on what i actually want!?
    • Africat
    • By Africat 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    It IS really quiet!

Africat - so true about the Nivea at Wilko compared with Boots! I checked the dofference before xmas; £10 boots gold bag, £6 in Wilko. I think Boots add a lot on. Proven with the Zoella calendar scandal this xmas!
    I think people are wise to Boots being over the value of the gift.

In other news; anyone else fed up of the sea of pink- Soap& Glory?! Madness that thereís so much left! I mean TONNES of the pink sets; large, bags, make up. Their sales must have plummeted this year!

Iím definitely going to the sale, but not sure on what i actually want!?
    Originally posted by sampan26
    Yep, they're easily a third more expensive, the 3for2 before Christmas is just a gimmick; not saving anything though I can see why the extra bonus points before Christmas is enticing but personally I don't get sucked into it any more.

Yep, my larger store has aisles full of pink!! Think some of the star gifts have had their day personally; just the same stuff every year in a lot of wasted packaging.

I'll get a few things but feeling I won't be spending as much as usual and I have a stash I really should run down before I go buying more.
    My smaller store has literally nothing left!!
    • Desperado99
    • By Desperado99 9th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    Desperado99
    I was just thinking that earlier.

I wonder if the bubble has burst a little after them moving it to a friday and not doing it online last year.

Thanks for the info on the make up brushes I don't think any of my recipients would appreciate them enough to warrant buying them even at 70% off as it would take up a big chunk of their present budget (whereas brands like Superdry and Jack Wills always go down really well).

I was near my usual store today and had a look, huge amounts of S&G (lots of those triangular wash bags that were there last year) but nothing that really stands out for me this year. Obviously I'll still be going (if I can) but I won't be spending lots.

There were also quite a few items that had things missing from them already, so just a warning, if anyone buys any of the big gift sets please check that everything's included
    • Baskcm
    • By Baskcm 9th Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Baskcm
    as someone who works for boots things are changing this year in my store we didnt nearly get the same amount of stock has previous years.

Since its now mainly about saving money
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 41,069 Thanks
    balletshoes
    by this time I've usually got plans to "case" a couple of stores near me ready for the potential 70% off day, but I've not been near a Boots store since before Xmas. There is one store on my way to work, so I might arrange to pop in there for store opening time on the morning of the sale, whenever that is. But I won't be taking the morning off or going into work late because of the sale this year (which I have done every year since I discovered Bootsing).

I do think the lack of stock online has made a difference - it used to be part of the "fun" - getting up at stupid o'clock to see if the prices had switched to 70% off, filling up your basket from your favourites list, and seeing what was still in stock. Then a couple of hours kip before up again and joining the melee of store shoppers for opening time. I'd rather stay asleep now.
    • mrs lds
    • By mrs lds 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,728 Posts
    • 21,225 Thanks
    mrs lds
    Does anyone have any idea when the 70% boots sale is on. Tia
    • Storck
    • By Storck 9th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 2,399 Thanks
    Storck
    Does anyone have any idea when the 70% boots sale is on. Tia
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    My guess is 19th, and it is a pure guess at this moment
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 9th Jan 18, 11:59 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    wannalot
    Iíve never really bothered with the whole Boots sale thing before I found this thread, but I was instore earlier this week, and was really disappointed by the high prices, even at 50% off. I think I might have been better off buying in the 3 for 2 sale, rather than waiting until January!

Iíd really like the Jack Wills backpack, but Iím not sure Iím willing to pay £25 for it. Can anyone give me an idea whether the stuff in the backpack is usually expensive?
    January GC: £0/£110
    Aims for 2018:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    4. Lose weight!
    5. Build up some savings!
    • malebolge
    • By malebolge 10th Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    malebolge
    Yep, defo seems quieter than usual...

Maybe people are tired of the same stuff packaged differently each year or maybe people are just wising up to the fact that there are better bargains elsewhere?
    Originally posted by Africat
    This is most certainly the case, I think. The trouble with selling practically the same stuff in different packaging year on year is that people get fed up. Also, products diminish in value as everyone knows that certain brands are heavily reduced. I mean, a few years ago Soap & Glory was all the rage; now anyone receiving it as a pressie will surely know that it's been bought not because it's the perfect gift for them, but because it's cheap. If the brand is not careful, it'll become the gifting equivalent of Bayliss & Harding.

I also think the sale offers have not been as good as a few years back - I remember when 'luxury' fragrance sets were 50% off, and sitting up waiting to see if I could grab a bargain when they, too, went down to 70% off. Recently, those offers have just not happened. What's left is the overpriced Jamie Oliver sets, Nandos sauces, cheap make up/bath stuff & gifts for men that are useless. People are way more internet savvy, so checking prices against other sites is commonplace. And once you start to do that, you realise there's much better bargains to be had.
    • moneysaver890
    • By moneysaver890 10th Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    moneysaver890
    I agree, very quiet on here this year. I called to my local medium size store to collect an order today and was surprised how much was left. There was hardly anything left last year. I only really want some Soap & Glory and Sanctuary bits. Have been really good all year (and last 70% off sale) and not bought myself anything I didnt need and have managed to use up all the stuff i had, so could actually do with stocking up this time!
    • Africat
    • By Africat 10th Jan 18, 5:17 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Africat
    This is most certainly the case, I think. The trouble with selling practically the same stuff in different packaging year on year is that people get fed up. Also, products diminish in value as everyone knows that certain brands are heavily reduced. I mean, a few years ago Soap & Glory was all the rage; now anyone receiving it as a pressie will surely know that it's been bought not because it's the perfect gift for them, but because it's cheap. If the brand is not careful, it'll become the gifting equivalent of Bayliss & Harding.

I also think the sale offers have not been as good as a few years back - I remember when 'luxury' fragrance sets were 50% off, and sitting up waiting to see if I could grab a bargain when they, too, went down to 70% off. Recently, those offers have just not happened. What's left is the overpriced Jamie Oliver sets, Nandos sauces, cheap make up/bath stuff & gifts for men that are useless. People are way more internet savvy, so checking prices against other sites is commonplace. And once you start to do that, you realise there's much better bargains to be had.
    Originally posted by malebolge
    Oh, the dreaded Baylis and Harding, I always dread one of those being in my stocking

Problem with the S&G star gift is it's no cheaper at the moment than before Christmas and there's usually a couple of make up items in them which not everyone will use. Now back in the day when they were included in the 3for2 it was different. You can also get the Star Gifts year round; they'll have them in freshly packaged again soon for Mother's Day!!

Also need to remember that these indulgent bathing products are 3for2 individually for a large proportion of the year too so you're not saving as much as you might think with them.

I'm getting bored of giving some of these as gifts myself let alone the recipients lol... Alot of what I try and get now is just for myself and a few small stocking fillers that don't take much space to store away.
    I do agree; think people are getting more savvy and looking for Black Friday bargains and the like, tbh I think there's bargains to be had year round, I've made the mistake of stashing stuff away bought from the Boots sale and it just ends up getting a bit worn at the edges and then can't be given as a gift. Not too bad if you have a couple of Birthdays early on in the year as not so long to save it but then you run the risk of people knowing it's either been bought in the January sale or shock horror, a recycled unwanted present
    • Storck
    • By Storck 10th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 2,399 Thanks
    Storck
    I agree, very quiet on here this year. I called to my local medium size store to collect an order today and was surprised how much was left. There was hardly anything left last year. I only really want some Soap & Glory and Sanctuary bits. Have been really good all year (and last 70% off sale) and not bought myself anything I didnt need and have managed to use up all the stuff i had, so could actually do with stocking up this time!
    Originally posted by moneysaver890
    I think this time people may find more choice in medium and small stores as they arenít moving stock to the large stores, well that is the case near me.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,365Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin