Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 13,345Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 13-11-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 47
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 13th Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    nic2075
    I've started writing my card too. I don't send too many. So I've wrote the ones I post. And I still have close friends and family and my street to do. I don't think I send more than 30.

Picked up another few small things in home bargains. Small unicorn diary that locks, fluffy hot water bottle and some little joke trick things (fake poo etc lol) some are for my dd2 and some for my nephew.

I've had a bit of a rough week. Started on Monday morning when the police pulled me over to say I had no insurance. I knew it had autorenewed on the Saturday. Looks like it hadn't updated on their system. But they discovered my mot had run out the week before. I didn't realise, I thought it was the end of this month. Oops. Meant £100 fine and I had to take it a garage I didn't like to get it MoT'd. Cost me £550 :-(
    Then when I got it home I noticed they had dented the sill with what looked like a jack. So I had to take it back. Thankfully they booked it in to get it fixed the next day. Then today I was dropping my daughter off at the station in Glasgow, it was 6:30am, pitch black and raining, and I drove in a bus lane! I didn't realise until it was too late. That will be another big fine!
    On top of that I tried to unblock my kitchen sink and plunged a little too keenly and shook the pipes and now everything under my sink is leaking, and I still couldn't unblock it.
    I just want to go to bed, cry and stay there.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Oct 18, 7:34 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 16,941 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I've started writing my card too. I don't send too many. So I've wrote the ones I post. And I still have close friends and family and my street to do. I don't think I send more than 30.

Picked up another few small things in home bargains. Small unicorn diary that locks, fluffy hot water bottle and some little joke trick things (fake poo etc lol) some are for my dd2 and some for my nephew.

I've had a bit of a rough week. Started on Monday morning when the police pulled me over to say I had no insurance. I knew it had autorenewed on the Saturday. Looks like it hadn't updated on their system. But they discovered my mot had run out the week before. I didn't realise, I thought it was the end of this month. Oops. Meant £100 fine and I had to take it a garage I didn't like to get it MoT'd. Cost me £550 :-(
    Then when I got it home I noticed they had dented the sill with what looked like a jack. So I had to take it back. Thankfully they booked it in to get it fixed the next day. Then today I was dropping my daughter off at the station in Glasgow, it was 6:30am, pitch black and raining, and I drove in a bus lane! I didn't realise until it was too late. That will be another big fine!
    On top of that I tried to unblock my kitchen sink and plunged a little too keenly and shook the pipes and now everything under my sink is leaking, and I still couldn't unblock it.
    I just want to go to bed, cry and stay there.
    Originally posted by nic2075
    Ooh, poor you. Are the bus lanes penalising that early Nic? Bad as it is in London, generally starts at 07:00 & possibly only Mon-Fri. Hopefully you won't be penalised.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 16,941 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    GTQ are there any homeless charities that will take them? Or winter shelters perhaps? The Salvation Army could also be worth a try.
    If not, pop them on freegle, someone is bound to need or want some spares for over the festive period.

Nowt xmassy happening here, had great plans for today, then the rain scuppered the lawn mowing and garden sorting, and I cba with much else ATM.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Called the local ones, not interested at moment. Will probably go to freegle.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 13th Oct 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 28,247 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Oh dear Nic. Not a good week for you. Lets hope the bus lane is only certain times for and you escape the fine.

My dad and his wife were in a massive accident on the motorway on Wednesday. Thankfully both ok - just cuts, bruises and seatbelt injuries but nothing that can't be fixed with time. Shaken us all up especially going to see the car today (it's a write off) to collect belongings.

So christmas has been on a massive backburner this week as we had to fetch them home from the hospital on the wednesday night and done an 80mile round trip today to collect belongings from the recovery yard.

Roll on last week of October as it's half term and we are off to walk Blackpool illuminations again.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 13th Oct 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    nic2075
    Ooh, poor you. Are the bus lanes penalising that early Nic? Bad as it is in London, generally starts at 07:00 & possibly only Mon-Fri. Hopefully you won't be penalised.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    There's no signs as it's a main one that is always on. It's right next to one of the main train stations. I had a google when I got home and found lots of people caught out just the last thing I need after all the money I've had to shell out this week.

Christmas for the adults has been really cut back this year. I need to sit down with the family and figure out a spending limit. We are all struggling a bit, so I'm sure it would help us all to even keep it to £10 or home made. I do like to spend a little bit more on my dad. He is always there for us. And without my mum here I feel he deserves it.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 13th Oct 18, 9:48 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    vulpix
    nic xxxx hugs
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Oct 18, 10:10 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 52,230 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Big hugs to all those who need it. Thank goodness your parents are ok Stokie

Nic do you all have Xmas dinner together or a family meal? Instead of gifts could you all chip in or cook something for that? Kind of like building one big yummy gift for everyone to share.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• murie
    • By murie 14th Oct 18, 5:50 AM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 9,851 Thanks
    murie
    Nic- massive hugs, sounds as if you need them xx.

Stokie- thank goodness your parents were Ok x
    lovin' this site!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 14th Oct 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 27,171 Thanks
    Coxy11
    nic - that's such bad luck about the bus lane. I also think we should get an MOT reminder through the post (like the road tax) as it's easy to forgot it's due.
    stokie - thank goodness your parents are okay, sounds horrendous.

On the Christmas front, I have purchase 4 x medium gift bags from Card Factory for a whole £1. Haven't found any cards I like yet. Also went into Wilko looking for the £1 pannatone (sp?) but couldn't see them but did find a hot choc selection pack for £7 which I'm thinking of getting for DS2. Apart from the peppermint one, I think he will use them all. Almost bought the choc advent calendars for the teens but resisted as was on foot and needed some other shopping.
    Have found a gin goblet in Debenham$, reduced to £12 in a nice box, for nephew. They go away at Christmas so I needed one in a robust packaging. Will also get him a gin selection I've seen in Te$co.
    Have a good day all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 14th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    vulpix
    So sorry Stokie massive hugs to you too.xxx

I have had some terrible news,Christmas will be a non event this year and life will never be the same. I am not ready to talk about it yet but just wanted to say I am bowing out of the thread and Thank You each and every one of you for being my unknown friends.

Wishing you all a lovely Christmas

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 14th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 17,038 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX you probably wonít see this but if you do I just wanted to say Iím truly sorry to hear that something awful has happened. Donít forget weíre here for you if ever you want to talk. Iíll be thinking of you.

NIC thatís a rotten run of luck, hopefully thatís it now and things will be looking up.

STOKIE Iím glad your parents werenít seriously hurt, it must have been an awful experience for you all.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Oct 18, 1:54 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 52,230 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Vulpix not sure if you will see this or not but just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear that something clearly very serious has happened. Needless to say, I will be thinking of you and hoping that things may not be as bad first feared. X
    JAN NSD 11/16

• girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 14th Oct 18, 2:15 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 9,290 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Vulpix, such an upsetting post to read, you know where we all are as a group or individuals. xxx
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 14th Oct 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Our bus lanes are 24/7, ridiculous
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Oct 18, 3:35 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 52,230 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Our bus lanes are 24/7, ridiculous
    Originally posted by carlislelass
    Bet the bus service isn't though!
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 14th Oct 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 27,171 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Vulpix - sorry to read your post. Whatever has happened, please know we are all here for you xxx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • describes
    • By describes 14th Oct 18, 5:10 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    describes
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this thread My Christmas planning has started today and I am cooking christmas at my house for the first time! I am incredibly anxious and scared already. I was planning on getting a turkey crown from M&S and pre-ordering it. I'm not sure whether to pre-order the veg and bits or just wait until the normal weekly shop and get the vegetables (standard broc, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels etc)
    What do most people do?

I am also looking at ideas to make christmas presents this year. I am not particularly creative but I want to give a few things a go.

Any tips would be great
    • murie
    • By murie 14th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 9,851 Thanks
    murie
    Look after yourself
    Vulpix

please know that we are thinking of you and will be here for you if you ever want to come back to us ,
    Take care of yourself xx
    lovin' this site!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 14th Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    nic2075
    Oh vulpix I'm so sorry to read your post. Sending you hugs and love. we will always be here for you xxx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 14th Oct 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    nic2075
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this thread My Christmas planning has started today and I am cooking christmas at my house for the first time! I am incredibly anxious and scared already. I was planning on getting a turkey crown from M&S and pre-ordering it. I'm not sure whether to pre-order the veg and bits or just wait until the normal weekly shop and get the vegetables (standard broc, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels etc)
    What do most people do?

I am also looking at ideas to make christmas presents this year. I am not particularly creative but I want to give a few things a go.

Any tips would be great
    Originally posted by describes
    Hi welcome to the thread.

I do Christmas dinner at my house every year. I used to buy my veg early to make sure I had it. But the supermarkets had all dropped the veg prices to 44p etc. So I got everything on the 23rd. Cauli's might not drop. But unless you are ordering fancy pre done M&S ones, I wouldn't bother and just get it a couple of days before Christmas. That goes for potatoes, carrots, Brussels and red cabbage, they were all super cheap in all the supermarkets.
    I actually picked a lot up on Christmas Eve morning for 9p! My turkey was huge and reduced from £26 to £13 and the boy at the till even swiped another £5 off fresh turkeys voucher he had sitting.
    It was a bit of a risk waiting til Christmas Eve. But I made sure there was plenty on the shelves the day before.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,435Posts Today

8,071Users online

Martin's Twitter