Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 13,345Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 13-11-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 46
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 8th Oct 18, 5:41 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    All Christmas chocolates and biscuits have been bought and stored away into Christmas cupboard. My vegetarian sausages for my Christmas dinner have been bought. Just in case tesc0 decide to take them off shelves which they have a habit of doing. A few more crisps and nibbles have been bought as the dates say Feb 2019. Just need to get some Pringles and then crisps will be finished. I’m running out of room now though but I’ve saved a lot of money this year by spreading the cost. I’ve been getting things with my weekly shops and storing them in cupboard.

Tesco have boxes of quality street, heroes, roses, celebrations for £1.50. So I’ve bought a few for extra gifts.
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club #26 £140
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 8th Oct 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 28,247 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    I have started wrapping - forgot how much hard work it is Have used giftmate drawstring bags for some presents this time (for the awkward shaped ones I can't wrap) which makes it a bit easier but arent very cost effective.

Also realised just how much wrapping paper and tags I stockpiled in January. Have more bits for other half than I realised which is good as I always get asked by my Dad to get him something off him and he then pays me for it.

Ordered my calendars and received them with a discount code but then as soon as they arrived I found groupon codes for them. Bit annoying but it's done that's the main thing
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 8th Oct 18, 8:01 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    Every year I keep saying I'm going to wrap as I go and I never do it. This year I was determined and even bought my paper and tags really early. Still not wrapped anything yet!!

Oh my sis came up with an idea to buy the two DSs to share. She's getting them a mud kitchen lol. I'd never heard of them but she's getting her DD one and it looks fab! Just need to make sure there's a bath running every time they play with it
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Oct 18, 8:22 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 52,230 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Hello all, been away for a few days (work not pleasure) but popped into B00ts today and their in store Xmas ranges are now out ... few gaps still so must have just gone on shelf. I wasn't overly inspired yet but then I felt the same last year and as time wore on I got more inspired. I think I just feel it a little overwhelming all at once when it's all new.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• missmoose
    • By missmoose 9th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    missmoose
    I went to HB Sunday to pick up a Ginger bread candle but they didn't have any either I've missed them already or they've not been out in my area, they had no winter candles in what so ever so I'm hoping its the latter. When I bought them 2 years ago my HB had an entire section dedicated to the candles and there was loads of the others left over once the gingerbread ones were out.

Jewels I find it way more fun to wrap it all in one go, sit with a Christmas film on and wrap it in front of the tree, not sure how that will work this year with our Dog that wants to be sat as close as possible to me 24/7 and has no special awareness. I see me ending up with a lot of crumpled unusable wrapping paper this year.
    • murie
    • By murie 9th Oct 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 9,851 Thanks
    murie
    Advent calendar
    W H Smiths have eraser advent calendars (although none in stock at the mo), HUKD say they are £3.49.

Kelloggs cereal bar advent calendar £8.99 at B&M.
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 9th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 16,460 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi folks,Been to Southport today.Saw wrapping paper in a basket outside the Works for 25p a roll.Also Dunelm have gingerbread candles and other scents too for £1.

Vx
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 9th Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Just received an email from next saying that the next Christmas shop is now open online and in some stores.
    £2 saver club #26 £140
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 9th Oct 18, 7:04 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    I saw in Sainsbury's today in the gift section that they do a family set of quizzes. A good gift idea, I think they were priced at £10.00.
    £2 saver club #26 £140
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 10th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 9,290 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    I so need Christmas thoughts as a distraction at the moment. Builders have been here a week and I just want my home back. Cannot complain about them themselves but I have had enough. On a positive note I had some Lego to get rid of and one of them is going to decorate DS bedroom, move a radiator, fix a plug socket and wire in a light pendant in exchange for it all. So that is a big help although I now have contents of DS bedroom in my lounge. Bathroom units in my dining room and I cannot even see my bed.
    Christmas front I need to get DS some game top up cards. I know once Christmas is closer they can be like gold dust to find as I think they are a favourite buy with grandparents.
    Last Christmas we were living out of boxes so I do hope this year we can enjoy local festivities. Looking forward to watching the local charity pram race/ pub crawl on Boxing Day. It isthe oldest in the world and something different.
    Oh well, back to the next round of tea for the builders
    • mandco
    • By mandco 10th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 9,577 Thanks
    mandco
    GYD great deal on the lego/diy swap. We're currently mid rearrange /re decorate pre xmas too and the mess is driving me nuts. Fingers crossed for a more settled and relaxed xmas this year.

found some £1 xmas scratchcards in sains so that is another thing ticked off the list

Asda finally have the freefrom xmas stock out and while there were quite a few empty spaces and not everything I wanted was in stock I managed to get a selection pack for taz and some mincepie / choc peppermint cookies for me.
    they also had reindeer noses £1(tubes of all red smarties) and unicorn choc coins 59p(pink blue purple gold coins with shiny unicorn pics on the larger ones)
    Last edited by mandco; 10-10-2018 at 1:45 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 11th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 12,343 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, i'm going to catch up properly later but just wanted to pop on to say Tesco are selling Terry's chocolate oranges for 75p - sorry if this has already been mentioned!
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 11th Oct 18, 8:03 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Hello lovely people! I have been away for so long I have missed a lot. I'm starting to really get into my Christmas groove now & need to get going with my shopping. I'll be trying to keep up with you all now to keep me in the Christmas spirit
    disneymadfamily.co.uk
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 11th Oct 18, 8:17 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Tkmaxx have some lovely boxed Christmas cards in this year. Priced at £2.99 for 10. Really lovely designs too traditional and modern ones. I picked up a few today so all cards are now bought. I’ve started writing a few so far, I’m cutting back this year.

Wrapped a few present this evening mostly the animals gifts but it’s a start. I’ve got a few things to buy for my parents hamper and then it will be finished. I got some cute Santa wine bottle holders from amazon in last years sale so I’m going to wrap the jars of condiments in tissue paper and then place them in the bags.

Just got my brother and Grandad to buy for now. The hardest two people to
    Buy for!
    £2 saver club #26 £140
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 27,171 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    Haven't been on for ages as started new job 5 weeks ago and haven't had much time. I have a few ideas for people now and have planned a trip to see friends on the Wirral at the end of November, so BFF and I will go to Cheshire Oak$ en route. I didn't buy any cards or wrap in the sales this year, so already feel very behind. Eeeek to buying full price cards!
    Sounds like you're all doing well. Love the 'wrap as you go' philosophy, makes such sense!
    Still have a gingerbread candle from HB from last year. Haven't managed to get to ours in months, so might have a trip this weekend #excited
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 13th Oct 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Lots of Christmas going on on here!!! getting the mojo.
    I have written 20 cards and wrapped 3 presents. l used to wrap as l went and just leave the fancy ribbons etc till the end of November, but this year l haven't. My aim this year is to wrap 'family groups' together then bag them ready to go, then l don't lose people or forget presents when l am rooting round in the santa grotto that the spare bedroom becomes.
    Wedding last week was lovely from start to finish, and l even managed to stay until after their first dance. (bride was all in white, groom was white and all in. haha). Lovely novel touch, they cut the cake with a logging axe.
    Hope the gales aren't too bad where you are, we seem to have everyones share of the rain.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 13th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Wrapped final presents yesterday. Started Xmas cupboard with sweets and biscuits, overseas cards sent
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Oct 18, 4:22 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 35,906 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, I just lost a flipping post, my laptop froze and I lost it before I could save it! Am now on my phone which keeps dropping wifi so I will be quick

VULPIX Thankyou, yes it is better now we have a diagnosis for Thumper. I had a giggle about the tourists photographing you, they must have thought you were famous lol

ALJA I will be checking my local homesense out, rum n raisin is my favourite

MANDCO oh bless you all, I canít believe that the asd support group only supports pre diagnosis?? DD2 went to visit a mainstream school and an autistic school last week. They much preferred the mainstream school, so we are hoping he will settle there next year with a 1 to 1 helper.
    CURRENTLY READING
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2018 £32
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2018 - £500.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Oct 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 16,941 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Have started wrapping! Plan to be completely finished by end of November, so that I can just chill out for December.

Starting to sort out the families, getting the toiletries bagged up, soap, loo roll & toothpaste is easy, trying to put shower gel & deodorant to reflect m/f mix in the home.

Doing a blitz at home, struggling to find a charity which will take duvets, too good to be used at vets or recycling, desperate to get rid of them, but not binning them. Oh well, will find some place that will make use of them.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 52,230 Thanks
    kerri gt
    GTQ are there any homeless charities that will take them? Or winter shelters perhaps? The Salvation Army could also be worth a try.
    If not, pop them on freegle, someone is bound to need or want some spares for over the festive period.

Nowt xmassy happening here, had great plans for today, then the rain scuppered the lawn mowing and garden sorting, and I cba with much else ATM.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

7,660Users online

Martin's Twitter