Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,240Posts
    • 13,252Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - 520 SPC 11 - 955 (as at Apr'18)
Page 39
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 50,784 Thanks
    kerri gt

Picked up the llama & sloth xmas fleece from matalan I've been after but has been oos so that's 1 thing off my dec 1st hamper list. They have some really nice stuff but some of it is a bit pricey so I'm waiting to see if they have any offers on. last year they did 3 for 2 and money off spend voucher promo's so hopefully they'll do similar again this year.
    Originally posted by mandco
    I thought some of it was a bit pricey too when I popped in at the weekend. Will prob vary some present buying locations next year as some of the kids are getting older so scouting out the ranges atm
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 13th Sep 18, 9:27 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    i had noticed Matalan being a bit pricey at the moment too, although there are a few things i am wanting so hopefully there will be reductions soon.

I got some great presents last year for kids in their boxing day sale.
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 14th Sep 18, 12:15 AM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    junior_j
    Hi lovely people,

I live in waterlooville near Portsmouth , tesco express' are selling Terry's chocolate orange for 1.

I went to the range today , some wherei am not 100% I have been before lol. However it literally felt like I had stepped in to the North Pole , was absolutely Christmas galore , mostly decorations rather than gifts but I felt like a little kid again.

Also if you have little ones the range had a load of different elf on the shelf stuff. Including story books , baby Eli's and things to create the scenes.

I have just come out of hospital again this broken brain of mine loves to remind me it's still there.

I also went to the bank where they upgraded my account and I am near on debt free.

Will keep my eyes peeled for more Xmas stuff.

One more thing... I have no idea about knitting but my mum loves it , any knitting ideas for gifts? I have just brought her a range of different sizes of bamboo knitting needles because she needed some and I like to encourage her to keep to her hobbies.

She also loves anything sloth if anyone has any ideas.
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 14th Sep 18, 9:02 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi JJ,have a look for sloth knitting kits,there must be something with pattern and wool included.Even if you could source a pattern you could get the wool it recommend and make your own kit up.There are knitting groups on FB and a site called Ravelry (sp?) who do knitting patterns,some free downloads.HTH.

Vx
    • mandco
    • By mandco 14th Sep 18, 10:36 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 9,119 Thanks
    mandco
    She also loves anything sloth if anyone has any ideas.
    Originally posted by junior_j
    Llama and sloths seem t be really popular at the moment I know my kids area really into them

Primark have a sloth hot water bottle
    matalan have a range of llama/sloth xmas themed stuff I got the fleece but they also do mugs/ coasters/ clothes /bedding/ xmas wrap and even a sloth dressed as an elf so might be worth a look https://www.matalan.co.uk/products/search?q=sloth
    Flyingtiger have quite a bit mostly stationary based not sure if they do online shopping
    the works have quite a bit too https://www.theworks.co.uk/?q=sloth%20&sort=effectivePriceCents%20asc

Brought some nordic snowflake leggings in primark I love them but part of me feels its a little too early to wear them yet as they seem xmassy if that makes sense
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 14th Sep 18, 1:56 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    lazysheep
    Flyingtiger have quite a bit mostly stationary based not sure if they do online shopping
    Originally posted by mandco
    As you're in Waterlooville there is a FlyingTiger store at both Whitely and in Southampton West Quay. I bet you could also find sloth stuff on Etsy!

What sort of knitting does your mum do JJ? If it's clothes you could get some nice buttons/fastenings that she could use?
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 14th Sep 18, 5:39 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 27,742 Thanks
    StokieBecks

Done these today. Thinking as they are quick and simple that they will be suitable ones to bulk do incase we end up taking some to other half's christmas fayre at school.

Do you think they will be ok? Will probably put a simple verse insert in them too
    • mandco
    • By mandco 14th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 9,119 Thanks
    mandco
    Storkiebecks they are lovely I'm sure they would sell well as long as the price is right

JJ could you make her a knitting hamper? you have the needles already add some wool, embellishments(depending on what she knits) maybe some patterns in a nice box/bag she can use for storage.
    They also do knitting accessory kits really cheap which have things like scissors tape measure in ect or row counters & stitch holders which can all be useful if she doesn't already have them

Asda are slowly adding more xmas stock online mostly clothing at the moment but they have added a load of xmassy duvets today

Little bit annoyed today as ordered dd some stuff from the hollister sale a couple of days ago and today they emailed to say they cancelled most of my order due to no stock
    Last edited by mandco; 14-09-2018 at 8:27 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 15th Sep 18, 2:35 AM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    junior_j
    Hiya guys

Thanks for your tips , I think making a sloth/knitting hamper would be pretty personal and unique which is the sort of present style I like.

I went back to work at my part time bar job this evening , I go back to my full time job tomorrow.

My head really isn't behaving.

25 days till I go to Florida, I am so looking forward to it but I am also concerned that my head will cause yet more grief.

Anyway sending hugs to all.
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • alja
    • By alja 15th Sep 18, 8:36 AM
    • 779 Posts
    • 7,646 Thanks
    alja
    Just caught up on all your ideas and plans, as I've been AWOL for a few days as it's been a bit hectic.

I managed to get some gingerbread matchsticks too! I bought salted caramel and mint too and have stored them away for Christmas.

I had a great win on the clearance in Mr T near me yesterday. They had lots of bottles of ale for 80ish, 60ish and 35p, all with really good dates on that go well into 2019! They'd be at least around 1.50ish each usually. I always buy ales for my dad for Christmas, so I grabbed 5 different ones as I couldn't carry any more back to work. But so pleased I had a check of the clearance shelves. It definitely pays to check it now and again!

I'm waiting for M+S to bring out their Christmas bits on 3 for 2, if anyone spots them going into store or online, please let us know

I'm getting my flat valued this morning (2nd valuation this week), so it'll be interesting to see what they say... Then I'm heading off to the shops after that, so fingers crossed I find some more Christmas pressies!

Have a lovely weekend everyone
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 15th Sep 18, 4:41 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Expedition in to larger Tesco in Greater Manchester,chocolate oranges 2 !

Went to B N M,none out on shelves yet.Assistant went into store room for me,I got 24 at 1 each. They were putting Christmas decorations out this morning.

Chocolate/sweets tubs 2 for 7 at Tesco.

Stokie,the cards are lovely,I think they will be a hit at a Christmas Fair.

JJ I think a sloth hamper would be a lovely present. Very exciting to have a trip to Florida,Bon Voyage.

Alja a move on the cards?I am looking too in a new location.

Vx
    • alja
    • By alja 15th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 7,646 Thanks
    alja
    vulpix - yes, I own my flat by myself, but me and my other half are now looking to buy a house together now. Fingers crossed!

I managed to pick up some more presents today. I bought a royal jelly set and a body butter set on sale at M+S. In there I also found a lovely little dress and cute little socks in the sale for my other half's niece.

I also picked up some socks for dad in Debenhams.

So I'm slowly getting there bit by bit!
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 15th Sep 18, 9:41 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 9,050 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Hello all, still hectic here but finally getting organised for gifts. Only really get for youngest DS. Everyone else it will be cash. Decided a few years back it means more to us to embrace the season and soak up the atmosphere. Although there will still be presents to open. Need to think of some different tiny gifts for DS advent calendar even though he is 21. On the home front hopefully our bathroom will be started soon and then most of the decorating will be down to me over the next year or so, not rushing. The bungalow next door is up for sale and my mum is wanting to buy it but would have to sell hers first so it is not looking very likely, especially as next door has just been reduced too. So we may have new neighbours soon, I do not like having an empty house next door, silly I know.
    A week of hospital and doctors appointments next week and then I think it is a clear run up to Christmas, famous last words
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 16th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 17,264 Thanks
    nic2075
    I'm all stocked up on gingerbread and mint matchmakers lol. Will keep some for us and the rest will be given along with gifts.

I've just been picking up some stocking fillers this week. The make up range is really good in home bargains. My girls do dance comps, so they like some make up on. I got a cute little travel pallete that has blusher, eyeshadow, highlighter, lip colour and foundation in a small pallete. Just 99p. It will do for her to get a bit of colour, she is only 7 so I don't like her overely made up. My 13 yr old loves her fancy make up MAC etc, but she loves the wee cheapies from home bargains too. So put past some lip glosses and blending sponges for her.

I've not been in the Range or Matalan yet. I'm saving it for November. I felt I went too early last year and I didn't feel Christmassy enough in September! I love fall/autumn, so I'd like to enjoy it and let the excitment of Christmas build up a bit longer.

I am full of the cold. Sore throat and achey muscles. Feeling a bit sorry for myself today and not looking forward to work this week.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 16th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 3,914 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Lakeland have some nice Christmas gifts online on their Christmas page http://https://www.lakeland.co.uk/christmas/christmas-gifts/?page=1&pageSize=108
    The 1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    2 saver club #26 104
    August Grocery challenge 43/200
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Sep 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 50,784 Thanks
    kerri gt
    We've just had Thr Works open in town (hoping this is permanent and not just a short Xmas thing) but they have lots of lovely little Xmas craft bit in, and wooden present toppers as well which are really sweet. I didn't buy any as I bought some packs of wooden tree decs in the wIlko sale for about 10p a pack a couple of years ago for using as such things ....plan is to make an effort to use them this year.

Wondering if it's too early to start writing cards. I have about 40 to do so thinking a few a week wouldn't be too arduous, then they'd be all ready to post on 1st Dec.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mandco
    • By mandco 18th Sep 18, 11:48 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 9,119 Thanks
    mandco
    Kerri I would start the cards now just make sure you put them somewhere safe so you can find them come dec. Do you need to get stamps too?

tesco express had choc oranges for 1 today but they still seem to be still 2 in the main stores though.
    has anyone sees any plain choc oranges anywhere?

sainsburys had the moo brand dairy free advent calendars in but pricey at 5 hopefully asda/tesco will have their own brand ones out soon.

Sorted out my to buy for list this week and I only have a few people left to sort other than the kids so the plan is to get those sorted this month.
    Anyone know what 9/10 year old girls are into at the moment? I have 2 to buy for and usually get them something arts/crafts based but struggling to find something that doesn't seem more suitable for younger kids.

Got Taz a lovely xmassy print dressing gown for the dec 1st hamper I usually get them pj's too but I've just brought him new fleecy ones this week and not sure if its really worth buying more?
    Last edited by mandco; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 18th Sep 18, 12:45 PM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 50,784 Thanks
    kerri gt
    mandco I have a cupboard that cards / paper is kept in so the written cards can go in there. I still have some stamps from last year so shouldn't need too many more.

For 9/10yr olds slime still seems to be a big thing, I also got my DN (who was 7 this year) one of these for her b'day based on a friend's daughter getting some for Xmas. DN loves it and friends daughter is a little older than her so would poss be suitable for 9 / 10yr olds too. My DN loves is (apparently she'd wanted some for ages - to which I read 'parents had avoided thus far buying any' ). They do different size packs too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Resources-Playfoam-Combo-8-Pack/dp/B004ALKLR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537270782&sr=8-1&keywords=play+foam

Smiggle is always popular (though can be expensive unless you get stuff in the sale). Things like smelly pencils / pens / glittery gel pens.

Mermaids and Unicorns still seem to be going strong too.

My DN has also started asking for things like bath fizzers as well.

What's the budget per head?
    JAN NSD 11/16

• girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 18th Sep 18, 2:23 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 9,050 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Ignore me if it has already been mentioned but I got two of gingerbread candles from HB. I know they sold out very quickly last year. x
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 18th Sep 18, 3:36 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 27,742 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Got an 18th birthday present to buy in the next couple of weeks. No idea what to get an 18 year old male. His Mum said to give him money but would prefer to get a gift really. Everything for 18th birthdays seems to be beer orientated though

Not doing too bad on the christmas front though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,102Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin