Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,234Posts
    • 13,220Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    !!!8216;Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling!!!8217;

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It!!!8217;s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads !!!8211; the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £955 (as at Apr'18)
Page 30
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 16,309 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Nipped into Clas Ohlson last night to try & pick up some luggage tags, didn't realise that it is closing next week so everything was 75% off (I NEVER manage to find deals like this!) Didn't get the tags as there was very little stock, but did manage to pick up a small tree with LED lights, a star with lights, 4 (!) packs of those silicone laces which the littlies can use instead of the regular ones, funky colours & some deer lights which can be attached to a zip (daft but useful Christmas gifts sorted), spent less than £10, so happy bunny!
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 7,255 Posts
    • 50,166 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Thank you, they look perfect. Says they are not available. But at least I know it's possible to buy them. I'll measure the led to make sure I get the right thing and have a good look.
    I like the idea of the Easter decorations etc to make it an all year round thing. My kids would love that.
    Originally posted by nic2075
    Whoops sorry, here's another link of ones in stock - there's also rainbow ones to jazz things up

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-100PCs-Lot-High-Quality-Made-Cherry-Tree-Use-34-18mm-Soft-Transpent-PVC-Cherry/32669465687.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb 201602_4_10152_10151_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324 _10342_10547_10325_10343_5012015_10340_10548_10341 _10696_10192_10190_10084_10083_10618_5011915_10307 _10820_10301_10821_10303_10059_100031_10103_10624_ 10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_2,ppcSwitc h_4&algo_expid=c892d525-81fd-4fe8-875e-f313e0846a60-3&algo_pvid=c892d525-81fd-4fe8-875e-f313e0846a60&priceBeautifyAB=0
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 5,728 Posts
    • 16,509 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Good morning ,
    Tuesdays trip was "eventful" to say the least , Dd needed the loo so stopped at Weatherby services on the way back to the car she had a fit . There were lots of lovely helpful people around including a physio therapist who stayed with us and helped to get her back to the car . She commented on Dd's hypermobility which i didn't know she had ! so a quick trip to the GP yesterday and its confirmed although until joints start dislocating and the pain is constant theres nothing much to do about it . The fact she's 21 and not had any dislocations is a good sign apparently !
    She is battered and bruised after having 4 major fits in under 3 weeks .

Christmas wise -parents gifts delivered .

Dd and i have booked the German Christmas market trip for November 2019 cant wait . We visit Valkenburgh with its market in a cave system , Cologne and Aachen with its Lindt outlet shop Mmmm.
    Karma bus the most satisfying ride in town
    • apricity
    • By apricity 10th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    apricity
    CHRISSYG, I'm really sorry to hear that and hope things calm down for her!
    can't imagine what she's been going through.

wedding stuff is moving along nicely even though we haven't booked a date ; we're booking a date in october ready for September 2019.

Lost my I.D but had to change the address on there anyway (took me a year!) so paid for a new one to replace.

Next big adult purchase is to get my first adult passport (my previous one i had when i was 7, i'm now 24!) so that I've got one to show the registry office when we book & do the marriage notice / interview.
    Plus I have it in case we go on a honey moon. Ahh that'll be lovely.

I'm waiting for next month to do my passport as I also have to get a filling for £30!!

How exciting! A grandparent from my previous work went there. I'd love to go but hate markets aha.
    I'll stick to the one in town.

I've decided everyone apart from my parents, siblings (including the in-laws-to-be) and my f.h one token gift. Can't afford it with the wedding & wanting to move out into a bigger place.
    SPC 2018 £1.02
    Wedding - £1,182.47 (47%) / £2,500
    • alja
    • By alja 11th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 7,473 Thanks
    alja
    Hi everyone, I posted in here a bit last year, but life got manic and I wasn't great at posting in the end! Hopefully I can pop in more often this year.

We're off on holiday for the majority of December this year, so I want to have everything bought by the end of November if possible and then just leave the wrapping to enjoy in the few days we have before Christmas.

So I need to get organised!

I buy quite a few things at Christmas, so I have made a start on my spreadsheet to keep a track of purchases and cost. We might buy a house at some point this year, so need to be careful not to over spend.

It's been so lovely to read through all your plans and traditions!

I think the first presents I want to tackle and tick off will be the ones for my closest friends. There's 6 of them, 5 ladies and 1 guy. Last year I put together a glass jar of treats, but found it a nightmare to try and put together, so this year is all about simplicity! I'm thinking maybe a nice candle that they may all enjoy? (I've been looking at M&S ones, but they're not on offer at the moment). Does anyone else have any great ideas?
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 11th Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 887 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    Aljar,Morrisons had a massive white church candle the other day for £6.50 which I thought was a very good price.Probs not fancy enough for you but I was tempted.Then realised I have enough candles to kit the street out.

Sorry about DD Chrissy.My son has hypermobility,we only found out when he broke his arm for the second time. Four times to date.It is common apparently to break arms when kids fall as when they put their arms out they over extend. Only a broken wrist,dislocated thumb and dislocated shoulder since adulthood but that can be blamed on rugby and skateboard.
    Your trip will be amazing.

apricity,if you have a wedding on the cards token gifts are the way to go. I loved planning my wedding. Can we have all the details please,I am nosy!

Gotta go problem with MIL

Vx
    • apricity
    • By apricity 11th Aug 18, 11:09 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    apricity
    Vulpix , ugh sure.I'll try and be quick and to the point to not bore you all aha.

We've been together since July 8th 2016 and met through tinder.
    Moved in with each other in April 2017 into a rented house as I needed to get out of my parents home - things weren't good with them and didn't want them to be clingy to me anymore. When I was on a date with him, my mum kept texting me to say I had to be home for a certain time and if i was okay and asking me what i want for tea... I was 22 at the time and have been out to nightclubs on my own sine 2am and she'd never text me then, and we were seeing each other for a while previously.

He proposed at our home September 1st 2017 & We didn't get the ring until a few weeks later as he wanted me to choose something I'd wear for a very long time - I knew it would be a long engagement.
    My family weren't overly joyed with our engagement as there's family problems between my fiance & family and I'm stuck in the middle. We didn't have a enagement party as we were both dealing with depression & was close to christmas.

I didn't start to wedding plan until this year.
    The theme was Disney in general (princess, star wars, marvel) but that's causing a head ache with trying to include it all so I came up with having it just Star Wars - The fiance loves & collects star wars stuff and my dress is better suited for that theme. Plus I have loads of ideas for the Star Wars Themed wedding and because it's "spacey" i can get away with little bits.

Food would be a pizza bar (we'll buy them from asda or something) as the fiance said one of his top 3 things to have at our wedding was PIZZA; which ties in nicely to how we first met (I messaged him on tinder and the first thing i wrote was "Howdy what pizza toppings?" ) and I'd love to have a candy bar so that guests can take home a bag of pick'n'mix sweets instead of us buying favors.

Our budget is £5,000 and agreed to save £2,500 each (though we may put some more in when needed & i've been buying £1 bits here and there from normal budget)

I have my dress sorted, it's navy & cost £40.00 from Quiz online (Was originally £80) . I wanted something different to a white dress and at the time, because my mum wasn't/didn't seem too bothered or happy with me getting married , I didn't see the point in dress shopping.

I have my wedding shoes also which are white hitops with pastel multi-coloured diamonte's on the side & it's fluffy inside - those were £5 (£8 with p&P) from everythingfivepounds.

We don't have anything booked yet but looking to get married at the local registry office and to have the reception in a village hall where we get the entire building all day for £475. We'll be hiring a mobile bar for £300 and will get that amount back if the bar makes £1,200+

Hopefully our date will be September 21st 2019 or sometime in the month.

I'm the only one planning it - it's going to be really awkward though and just know i won't have a good time leading up to the wedding. MANY family problems ... so I'm struggling emotionally with what to do
    SPC 2018 £1.02
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 11th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Only popping on quickly to say to apricity that if you do not already, have a look on Pinterest. I am certain there will be wedding ideas on there to suit your taste and budget. Although be prepared to lose time on there as one thing always leads to another.
    I shall post longer soon, just like most, things are hectic at the moment
    • apricity
    • By apricity 11th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    apricity
    Pinterest & Instagram have been my very best friend in wedding planning,
    and get my s**t together aha ! but thank you I will use them wisely

It's become an obsession about searching for wedding ideas
    SPC 2018 £1.02
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 11th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 16,318 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to the thread APRICITY and welcome back ALJA, nice to see you again.

CHRISSEY sorry to hear DD is having a rough time, I do hope things settle for her.

STOKIE what is the greenhouse like that you got for your mum? Is it one of the plastic frame ones with Perspex sides? I would really like something I could use to pop tender plants in but have neither the space nor budget for an actual greenhouse.

My gorgeous DGD (9) stayed this week which was lovely. She had a great time and has gone home addicted to Pinterest and planning what she wants to get everyone for Christmas. I believe in setting a good example
    Last edited by Peppapig; 11-08-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • murie
    • By murie 12th Aug 18, 5:59 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 9,565 Thanks
    murie
    Alja-https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8194932
    These are really nice if you have any in stock near you. I bought one for a friend a few weeks ago and was surprised by how large it is.
    lovin' this site!
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 12th Aug 18, 11:38 AM
    • 5,728 Posts
    • 16,509 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    APRICITY- Sounds like you have a plan and are doing what you want after all its your day .
    I wish i had done that but momzilla took over , my dress was like a beaded meringue and i hated it . It was made for me but as i lived away and the dressmaker was my mums choice i really didnt see it untill i went home a week before the wedding although i had stated what i wanted, I wanted a ballerina length but it was floor length . It was in the charity shop the monday after the wedding !

We have just celebrated our 25th anniversary and even now when i look at the pictures all i see is a bloody meringue !

you do it your way dont let anyone else say otherwise .
    Karma bus the most satisfying ride in town
    • apricity
    • By apricity 12th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    apricity
    CHRISSYG Aw I'm sorry to hear that !
    I guess the only positive thing is that you're married to your sweet heart

I'm not trying to be bridezilla or by taking over but because i've had so much let down and negitivity in my life with family and because my mum / family aren't too pleased I feel like it's the only choice.

There's a huge family problem right now,
    Basicially my F.H won't step foot in the same room as my uncle who planted a very large sharp steak knife in my work bag which I almost pulled out when I went to get my purse in front of a tesco cashier , I then freaked and my family called me silly and stupid for being angry at this ; apparently it was a "joke" which lead to my cousin writing such nasty things about me and my f.h in a private facebook message. So I am not talking to her - she causes trouble all the time , even as I was a kid, she almost split my parents up. she got my family into an arguement about me and her then my dad took her side instead of mine and had more of a relationship with her than me. But anyway, recently she found an old blog of mine where I stated i felt distant from everyone - I didn't state names or even if it was about family. It said nothing like that at all. she then told her mum (my auntie) and twisted what it had said and basically said i wrote some horrible stuff about my family. My auntie then proceeded to leave me nasty facebook messages basically saying i'm not part of the family. she wrote stuff saying "Leave MY family out of it" "stop dragging MY family's name in the mud" and said horrible stuff about my f.h so I'm not wanting to have a relationship with them both.

I have decided these 2 people are NOT even invited to my wedding 1) it's my f.h choice and need to respect that, 2) I honestly fear there would be further toruble and that they will wreck my perfect day.
    It really has torn me up but i have to think about my own happiness and think of the best solution for me to know get stressed or feel edgy. Anyway, my nan said if my cousin isn't invited she will not attend my wedding. Which is fine - i get that. but I 100% know it'll cause arguments especially as my nan wants to help . she doesn't understand why I will not talk to her. I tried to explain that I have tried to get along with her i just can't. No one knows that I am not talking to my auntie either. My mum knows about my cousin and is fine with that.

My f.h is fine with my uncle coming to the wedding but won't go to any of my famiyl events with me.
    I understand, I hate going but my famiyl doesn't understand that he suffers with severe social anxiety & depression (his body cannot produce enough seritonin, he was on tablets but decided to come off of them without the approval of the drs... he's doing really well and had no bad episodes for 4 months he's been off of them) but still... my family are telling me not to marry him because he doesn't want to be a part of thier family. A lot of horrible stuff has been said and done by them so i honestly don't blame him...

So yeah. Tricky!!
    SPC 2018 £1.02
    • alja
    • By alja 12th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 7,473 Thanks
    alja
    Thank you vulpix! I need to pop by Mr M more often.

Hello Peppapig

Murie that's gorgeous, unfortunately no stock near me. Otherwise I would have picked that up. So lovely.

My other half's mum bought herself a candle just yesterday from The R*nge and it ended up being just perfect for what I needed. It's like this £1 one but bigger and therefore more substantial looking... https://www.therange.co.uk/home-furnishings/candles-and-home-fragrances/candles/glass-jar-candle/#161373
    The one I bought for everyone was £1.69 and caramel cookie flavour. They look really good for just £1.69 I think!

I was meeting friends for lunch today, so I quickly drove over there and picked 6 up. They also had a strawberry flavour and a vanilla one if they're of use for anyone. I can't find them online.

I then thought I'd go with the caramel theme and was beyond pleased when I popped in B + M nearby and found Christmas themed tubes of caramac buttons which have a BBE of April 19. £1 each so I picked up 6 of those to match the candles. I'm so pleased.

Think I'll just get some sweets and a small Christmassy chocolate of some kind to go with them nearer the time.

I hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday. I think I'm going to catch up with housework and ironing now. Very exciting Sunday afternoon!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 12th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 27,470 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Hi Peppa. Greenhouse is similar to this picture (ours is a bit bigger
    The pic is Argos' version)

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 12th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    Crumbs apricity I would be tempted to elope in your shoes.It is your day so only invite people who will enhance the day;the people who will be positive and be pleased for you both.

MIL had had a thunder storm and her phone was off and so was her fall monitor.Sorted now.

Picked up a couple of bars of hand made soap yesterday for the girls (25 and 16) and a china mug in a box with a pic of DD1's fave picture.Hylas and the water nymphs.

I have spent ages in the loft recently sorting it out! Much stuff has departed,sold on FB. Other stuff sorted into piles for DD1 to take when she gets her new house and for DS to sort out when he comes next.Apart from the 10 boxes or so of Christmas decorations I have nothing up there!

Vx
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 12th Aug 18, 10:36 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress

Picked up a couple of bars of hand made soap yesterday for the girls (25 and 16) and a china mug in a box with a pic of DD1's fave picture.Hylas and the water nymphs.

Vx
    Originally posted by vulpix

Oh the mug sounds lovely, I have ordered a 3x5 feet acrylic of Waterhouse The Mermaid for my bathroom. Builder thinks I am barking but I have always wanted that picture. Not very mse but in my eyes a necessity.
    On the Christmas front DS has said his iPod is not charging so well. I was so pleased to hear that as at least there is something he can have.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 13th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 887 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    GYD the mugs are new stock in age concern £1.50.I know it isn't fashionable to like the pre raphaelites at the moment,but I love them.I think your bathroom picture is beautiful.I always had a Hylas print when the kids were little and I think it transfered to dd1.

Vx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 13th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 17,189 Thanks
    nic2075

Thank you, have ordered some
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 13th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 19,322 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Good afternoon/Evening all,
    Room for a little returnee?
    Well the beginning of this year/end of last year was horrible. My grandfather was taken ill at the beginning of December and passed away on the 12th. Absolutely broke me.
    The stress of running round then trying to sort things and make sure my nan wasn't alone for Christmas as well as work set off my M!nière's disease and I ended up signed off work. Christmas morning I opened a card that was signed from both of them and I burst into tears which pretty much set the tone for the rest of the day. We cremated him on January 8th so needless to say we didn't celebrate much.
    I was forced into redundancy in April since my vertigo was still playing up.
    I have so far done no, none, zilch amounts of Christmas prep. I haven't even made a list yet but had the fright of my life today when I saw chocolate boxes in Tesco!

So tonight I will be sitting making my List and tomorrow I will go through my Christmas gift cupboard and see what I have to regift up there!

I hope everyone else is well and on their way to being prepared.
    X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,474Posts Today

7,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin