Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,232Posts
    • 13,179Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    !!!8216;Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling!!!8217;

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It!!!8217;s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads !!!8211; the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £955 (as at Apr'18)
Page 25
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 3rd Jul 18, 9:06 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 15,908 Thanks
    vulpix
    JJ all the stores sell off gardening stuff reduced in the Autumn so hang on till then.I also get a lot of stuff from carboots, local fb selling sites,marketplace and ebay.Wall planters will need watering,an easier option is a piece of trellis on the wall or just a post and some chicken wire in the ground and plant clematis in the ground.They will just need watering until they are established.How exciting to have a baby in the house to spoil at Christmas.

Stokie those cards are amazing.How clever are you! not just for making them but for posting pics too!

DOJ congratulations on your little one.S/he will really enjoy the festivities.Do post more,the thread is a little quiet atm.Although we are people who love Christmas we like to hear what's going on any time of year.

I have started back at Yoga after a 10 year gap.I love it.Can't do it very well but I love it.I am amazed at how much I can do with my fused spine.Upper spine worked on last night and I can feel it today.

A days gardening planned for me today.

Oh I picked up a new in box Beatles photo frame at the carboot.Will put a photo of DD2 in it for either her Birthday in September or Christmas.I find her very difficult to buy for.She doesn't do girly stuff. DD1 on the other hand I know if I like it she will like it,whatever it is.

I also bought Mr V's Chewbacca buildabear a Darth Vader outfit from the carboot.(yes he is 60).

Take care Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 3rd Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 16,146 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Still loving this weather, hope we have t peaked too soon though and by the time the little ones have school sports days and break up for the summer weíll be back to clouds, drizzle and coats.

VULPIX I think any decision puts your mind at rest when youíre a bit in limbo so hopefully you can relax for a couple of years now and revisit the move when DD2 finishes college. I started yoga a couple of months ago and was really enjoying it but the class has ended because of not enough people to make it viable which is a shame. Hope you find somewhere for the table!

STOKIE Iím very new to die cutting but hopefully Iíll have lots of fun with it. That looks like quite a complex one on your cards, Iím still very much on the basics but quite like the idea of all white cards with embossing and white greetings. Iíve seen some on YouTube and saved some ideas from Pinterest, just need to actually get round to trying it now.

Welcome back LMG and DOJ, lovely to have you both back. Doesnít time fly? Itís quite scary how quickly it goes. DOJ youíve had an exciting time, congratulations on the not-so-little one, he/she will make Christmas even more fun than usual.

A slight case of cba here at the moment, small flurries of activity but then quite a lot of time thinking of things I want to do but not actually doing any of them. Also trying (not overly successfully) to not eat so much - I always thought I had less appetite in hot weather but I seem to be proving myself wrong!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • By 04624181 4th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 6,307 Thanks
    Good Morning All,

What an absolutely gorgeous run of weather we are having! I will admit to burning myself whilst enjoying the weather on Saturday( think lobster style lol) I then burnt myself again on Monday whilst having factor 50 on! Was watching my DD at an athletics event which was amazing! Im just on hold to the ESA so thought I would come on and quickly post.

Hope everybody is doing ok, ordered a few bits from the works to put away for summer hols and Christmas gifts. I am now driving and the boot has come off!!! Just have to take things slowly as I am ready to do everything again and my GP and physio are politely reminding me to be patient lol.

Desperate to get back to work though, firstly I miss the kids and staff and also because I miss the wage. Don't know whether to go back in for last week and then I get a wage over summer hols. I am going back in September anyways.

Big hugs to all xx

What is your favourite thing about this weather?

I love the leisurely time we spend together as a family playing in the garden, BBQing and playing games. It really does bring us altogether in our little garden, If you closed your eyes you could be anywhere. I also love that my Vit D is being topped up too lol
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 4th Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    todays weather here is good there is a slight breeze which is cooling my flat down. yesterday it was 35 degrees in my flat. today its down to 28 degrees.

ive just bought my aunt and uncles christmas present today, i came across some handmade ceramic toadstools made by people with disabilities. they come in a set of three for £12.99 and all money goes to the people that made them.

my parents are getting a hamper this year so thats them sorted, just need to start buying bits and pieces for it before prices go up.

still got the stocking fillers to buy, cards, my brothers present, my grandparents and the pets gifts.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club #26 £104
    July Grocery challenge £48/£200
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 8th Jul 18, 9:07 AM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 17,122 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning. I've been away up to Perthshire for our summer caravan holidays. We had amazing weather, over 25 degrees every day. But the scenery is just breathtaking. I love that part of Scotland. Our caravan was the premium one with a balcony. So I loved sitting out in the evening with a glass of wine, looking at he mountains and he kids off playing football or at the amusements. It was very relaxing, even though we were out doing things during the day.

Back home now and still have 5 weeks of summer holidays ahead of us. The weather has made it great so far.

You would all have loved the all year Christmas shops I came across. One huge one at Crieff. It had beautiful ornaments all colour coordinated in little grottos. Then another small one in Pitlochry. My son just rolled his eyes and stayed outside, but my girls are big Christmas nuts too and we're practically squealing when they see the shops.

Nice to see you back JJ and Drops of juniper.

I'll try and keep posting too. I find once I'm at the end of July I start to think about Christmas a bit more. I do struggle to buy stuff he rest of the year, I never have ideas and end up using them for birthdays. But I don't have as many birthdays after August so I can plan better.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 8th Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 16,146 Thanks
    Peppapig
    NIC, your holiday sounds lovely, can I ask where you stayed and whether you would recommend it please? We may not get there as a very long drive and DH is not allowed to fly now but no harm in looking into it.

TREASUREQUEEN those toadstools sound like a lovely idea.

0462 great news about the boot and yay to being able to drive again! Have you decided whether you will back to work this side of the summer hols or waiting til September? My two little grandsons (6 and 4) are going to a new school - eldest from Monday and littlest from September. At the moment littlest is in nursery at the current school but will be in reception from September and eldest is in woodpeckers. At the new school eldest will be in Tom Kittens and youngest will be in Puddleducks - how cute is that?

Just going to make some bunting for the garden and then it will be full steam ahead to start some card making, first a few birthday cards and then the Christmas money wallets and cards. Once QVC have had Christmas in July my prep will begin properly. Hope QVC is better this year than the last few!

Hope everyone is enjoying this glorious weather and the football/tennis. DH and I are not really sports fans but I do like a bit of Wimbledon and I like to celebrate the England football wins even if I do not watch the matches.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit formal but I had to edit it to avoid apostrophes or I get the silly !!!8127 every time I use one!
    Last edited by Peppapig; 08-07-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 8th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    lazysheep
    Hi all, long time no 'speak'.
    I have been reading along but very little to say as Christmas has not been on my mind at all for the last few months as I gave birth to my son a couple of weeks ago and so my days are filled with nappies and trying to keep him cool

However now he's here and I am on maternity I can start to plan again and spread out the buying over the pay months as days seem to disappear so quickly. Not going to go mad for him as he'll only be 6 months at Christmas and won't have a clue what's going on(!) but will get him a few bits nearer the time when I know what he likes and how big he is

Off to sit in front of my fan again...
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 8th Jul 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 16,146 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Congratulations LAZYSHEEP
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 9th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 17,122 Thanks
    nic2075
    Congratulations Lazysheep xx

Peppapig, we stayed at Tummel valley caravan park. It's right at Tummel bridge. It's about 13 miles from Pitlochry if you all the way the A9 or 13 miles from Aberfeldy taking the tourist route, which we did. I got a Sun deal which cost £120 all in but I paid extra for bedding and for a 1pm check in. I think I was lucky I got a van with a veranda, my sister was there in May and didn't. But the park isn't big, so even though it was full, it never felt busy.
    From that location it was a nice drive back towards Pitlochry, you pass the Queens view, which has one of the most stunning views in Scotland. You are also close to Blair castle. We also went the other road to Aberfeldy and went on a highland safari. Loch Tay is a bit further away where they have the Crannog centre. Then lastly we went West for 6 miles and were are Kinloch rannoch and loch rannoch. You are right at the foot of Schiehallion mountain and you can see Glencoe in the distance. If you like peace and quiet and beautiful views and a bit of history, I highly recommend it.

I have never managed to book that park via the Sun holidays before as it's always booked out. Just got lucky this year when it came up on my search. But sometimes it's just as cheap to book direct and you can get the van you want instead of potluck.

You can tell I love Scotland and It's history :-) I could talk about it all day.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 9th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 16,146 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks NIC it sounds lovely, Iím going to have a look into it and see if we could do the trip.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 49,815 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sorry i've been MIA for a bit - RL bonkers and nothing Xmassy here to post but I am trying to keep up

Thanks NIC it sounds lovely, Iím going to have a look into it and see if we could do the trip.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    Peppa we've driven up to Scotland from close to your neck of the wood (I'm across the boarder in the 'shire) and with regular stops its ok - but perhaps you could stop overnight somewhere and break up the trip a little?

lazy sheep congratulations on the arrival of your little lamb xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Jul 18, 8:16 AM
    • 5,709 Posts
    • 16,418 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Lazysheep -Congratulations on your new arrival x

Christmas is coming along nicely I may wrap what I have later today .

Dd has discovered Redbubble and now has enough tshirts to
    Last around five years lol
    Karma bus the most satisfying ride in town
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 10th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 11,945 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, i've been super busy again here lately so haven't been able to get on, but I hope to catch up in the next few days. Squeak is having a nap and i'm having one of those moments where I have loads that needs doing but I really just want to sit down and be still for a little while! I have also just put The Polar Express on, i'm not usually one for watching Christmas films in the middle of the year and this one is saved for Christmas Eve but I just needed something Christmassy, it's my go to thing when I need a bit of cheering up. I don't know why but i'm super emotional today, Squeak turned one and Wiggle is turning four next month and starting school in September - it just feels like it's all going too fast! Anyway, i'm going to have a cup of tea and a little catch up now. Hope you're all well xx
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 16,113 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Like everyone, not much Christmassy happening, although I am midway through the cakes, 9 On a mission to get them all done before I go on holidays, but preferably by end July. If I have a clear weekend, I can get 4, but they are few & far between. Will get 2 done on Sunday, may try for 2 on Friday night, not time before then, then that will be another job done!

Have picked up some bits for Christmas, need to sort what is what & for who, then hopefully get them wrapped.

I also need to factor in that I will need to pay £1000 to the dentist Need to have a crown replaced and another fitted and despite the fact they are my front teeth and therefore white for non cosmetic reasons, they are not covered
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 12th Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 8,956 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    I seem to forever apologising for going awol. Update here after the nightmare of original builders, the place is back on track and new builders have started the kitchen, so hopefully finished by the end of next week. Then it is seeing if there is enough in the pot for a new bathroom. Would be brilliant if there was but I am not getting my hopes up.
    Starting to think of Christmas more now, it will again be a small affair but with a much better environment. DS2 has moved to London and also in a far better frame of mind than a couple of years ago.
    So in all things are looking up. Oh and since December I have lost two and a half stone without really trying, just cutting back on sugar and taking the hound on much longer walks, something that was physically impossible and while back
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 16,113 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I seem to forever apologising for going awol. Update here after the nightmare of original builders, the place is back on track and new builders have started the kitchen, so hopefully finished by the end of next week. Then it is seeing if there is enough in the pot for a new bathroom. Would be brilliant if there was but I am not getting my hopes up.
    Starting to think of Christmas more now, it will again be a small affair but with a much better environment. DS2 has moved to London and also in a far better frame of mind than a couple of years ago.
    So in all things are looking up. Oh and since December I have lost two and a half stone without really trying, just cutting back on sugar and taking the hound on much longer walks, something that was physically impossible and while back
    Originally posted by girlinayellowdress
    I work for a construction company and unless the client stipulates what sanitaryware they want, we generally buy off the internet, can generally save a lot of money as these suppliers generally don't have a storage cost to factor in. Some times there may be a longer lead time than within days, but if the work schedule is planned accordingly, it is not an issue. Worth considering if not already considered.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 12th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 8,956 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    I work for a construction company and unless the client stipulates what sanitaryware they want, we generally buy off the internet, can generally save a lot of money as these suppliers generally don't have a storage cost to factor in. Some times there may be a longer lead time than within days, but if the work schedule is planned accordingly, it is not an issue. Worth considering if not already considered.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly

I may pick your brain when it comes to the bathroom. Not going over the top with everything, we were waiting on a disability grant but it was getting me down with their stipulations so I just decided to go for what I could afford. The rest of the place I plan to do myself as it is just general decoration and sprucing up. Well that is the plan
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 12th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 35,659 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, feel absolutely gutted today after last nights football results. I have just pre-ordered a Christmas book to cheer myself up by Milly Johnson. Life is just plodding along here, hating the really hot weather (sorry sun lovers) yesterday and today have been lovely as the temp has gone down

PEPPAPIG/VULPIX haha thankyou my lovelies I actually have surprised myself as I had my yearly Colitis check up at the hospital on Friday and there was no one to look after the dog so we took him with us which meant DD1 had to stay in the car and I had to go in on my own!!!! I actually did it without vomiting or shaking! Wonders will never cease lol

JJ lovely to see you back and that is fab that you have gone nearly a year without hospital stays/brain ops, well done you!!

STOKIEBECKS the cards are really pretty, lovely die cuts

DROPSOFJUPITER lovely to see you back too, congratulations on your baby

VULPIX well done on the car boot sale money, my DDs 1 and 2 are off to a yoga festival next weekend.

04624181 so glad you are getting back to normal life, boot off and driving now. I really do not have a favourite thing about this heat, I have the opposite of SAD, my DD1 loves the sunshine and it really improves her mood, but it really dampens mine, I feel better when Autumn starts and I know it will get cooler

NIC oh your holiday sounds idyllic, glad you had such a fab time with the kids

PEPPAPIG has Christmas in july been mentioned yet on qvc? I am assuming it will be the 25th as usual? Sorry to hear DH is unwell again

LAZYSHEEP congratulations on the birth of your son, hope he is coping with the heat

PRINCESSKITTY time does feel as if it is superfast atm, I sometimes feel as though I just want to step off, just keep making those lovely memories with your boys

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY I hope you get your cakes done by the end of july oh dear that is a lot of money to have to find for your teeth. Did your house in Egypt all work out in the end?

GIRLINAYELLOWDRESS it will be lovely having a lovely brand new kitchen

CURRENTLY READING THE TEASHOP OF LOST AND FOUND - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2018 £10
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2018 - £500.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 49,815 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Originally posted by girlinayellowdress
    You have my sympathies, our garden is still mid-landscape after the less than successful builder last year too. Have had a bit of a delay this week due to a sub contractor letting folk down - just hoping it's done before the end of the good weather.

Managed to fix a dripping tap in the bathroom today...turned the water off, couldn't get the screw I needed to undone even with lashings of WD40...gave up, turned water back on and voila...drip as stopped we do actually need to put on some tap refreshers (which the lovely people we bought the house from left when they moved out) as the ones on currently have seen better days but at least the tap isn't dripping (incidentally OH couldn't get the screw to budge either so I wasn't being weak)

No xmassy stuff going on here atm although I do need to get a move on with my niece's santa sack - delayed from last year.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 12th Jul 18, 11:12 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 8,956 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Kerri I had a garden tap that no wrench or wd40 could shift, even adult ds could not move it. In the end I bought a baby boa wrench (amazon) and it worked effortlessly. Best thing I bought in ages as my grip is useless and it also opens jars
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,041Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you maintain performance at work when under pressure?... What about you? Part 2 of my bit of the? https://t.co/G5Cej3GYuz

• What does resilience mean to you? For me it?s understanding my own limitations, physically and mentally? What about? https://t.co/CuuRLoQFTr

• Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• Follow Martin